New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Good evening all,

WtnMel, sorry to rekindle the ear worm. I've got another now, although you might not remember him. Ricky Valence, who recorded "Tell laura I love her," in 1960, has died in his eighties. It was a very sad song about a man who died in a motor race and those were his dying words. There seemed to be a few sad songs in those days like "My Ebony Eyes," by the Everley Brothers, "Terry," by Twinkle and "Leader of the Pack," by The Shangri-Las.

Sorry to hear that Alan beat you at golf. Very thoughtless of them putting bunkers, lakes and ditches in the way.

I'm afraid that I am guilty for rounding up runs, but I don't include warm ups and warm downs in my mileage, like many of my friends on Strava do.

Aquarius, I've just seen on the 5pm news the violence against the police in London. It's absolutely disgraceful and distracting from the real reasons for the demonstrations. 

There is a real worry about possible forest fires in The New Forest, despite the recent rain. Barbecues are banned, but the ignoramuses simply ignore the warning notices. The same ones that park on the grass verges, blocking the emergency access gates. That is a pet hate of mine. I feel like scraping a key along the body work of the offending cars.

That's a shame about the bigger birds in your garden, depriving the smaller ones of the food. A mystery how the coconut halves disappear.

Good to hear that your pollen problems are slowly improving. Pollen is high in my region, but thankfully I don't suffer with hay fever.

I hope that it is nothing serious with your left heel, but resting it seems to be the best solution. I suppose that it is still problematic seeing a physio. It will be ages before dentists are able to catch up with routine appointments, and also hairdressers. It will soon be like the seventies with men's hair getting longer.

This mornings 5k went well and was my 2nd quickest this year. 26.40 and a WAVA of 69.16% and Vo2 max 46.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS - I forgot to ask you how your 5k challenge went today?
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Whoops, posts crossed again 🙂
  • Hillstrider that time on the 5k is good, well done. My hair is getting too long.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Aquarius - that's what I figured .. the golf score wasn't so bad in the circumstances. I forgot to mention that it usually takes us four hours to play 18 holes - on Fri we got round in 3hrs 10mins as there was no-one ahead holding us up and we had a better pair of golfers steaming up behind us to keep us moving along fast!. No comments yet from anyone about my .99 of a mile - I was sure someone with OCD tendencies would notice and remark on it :) Chuckling at the idea of the coconut halves disappearing along with the seeds - squirrels maybe? Hope your pollen problems don't last too much longer. BTW, I notice sometimes after golf my ankles are a bit tender - I think the golf shoes probably press on the achilles a bit despite having thick golf socks.

HS - maybe there was a copy-cat phase where one song about a sad event was a hit and others decided to write something similar? Re golf - we don't have bunker problems when we play the course near me as they aren't allowed them (because its in an area of outstanding natural beauty). But we still manage to find the lake, ditches, trees and long grass in the rough on occasions to compensate! I don't blame you wanting to 'key' the cars of morons that ignore warning notices. Well done re your 2nd fastest 5k with those good WAVA and VO2 max scores.

Damien - my hair is so long now I've had to resort to using a hairbrush I found I'd kept (in case it came in handy?) to 'tame' my long hair at the back which has got very curly.

Good news for me re hair. I checked my hairdresser's Facebook page but couldn't see any updates (and no way of asking a question) and they don't have a website either. But I noticed Athena who cuts my hair, posts most of the stories on their FB page. So cheekily, I sent her a direct message asking if she could give me any update on when they might be re-opening. She said they're hoping to start up again on Jul 4th and next time she's in the salon she'll book me in! :) I'll need to wear a face mask and she'll have one too - but it will be such a relief to get my hair trimmed back to #4 length at long last! :)

I've woken up with a pain on the top of my left foot (towards the outside and midway between the toes and ankle). I didn't notice anything last night but it aches a bit when I put weight on my foot. The only thing I can think may have caused it was me crouching down while sawing the trunk of a shrub I removed. Anyway, I hope it goes away during the day otherwise I may not be able to run as planned tomorrow morning.

Not sure what I'll be getting up to today apart from stretching my left foot. Probably a bit more gardening while it's not raining. Btw, yesterday I cut down the 'wrong' shrub to begin with. It was a cotoneaster that had self-seeded so not a major problem. So I then went on the remove the 'correct' shrub that Margaret had meant me to get rid of.

• Afternoon everyone,

Damien, thanks. My hair is too long also, but thankfully I had a haircut just before the lock down, so it's not as bad as it could have been.

WtnMel, you are probably right about copy cat type songs. 

It's probably those very drivers that leave all their rubbish behind.

That's good news that you will be booked in for a hair dressing appointment. I presume that you will have to provide the face covering yourself, unless they provide them and charge accordingly.

I hope that the pain on the top of your left foot doesn't cause you too many problems. Not sure about stretching exercises, but it might be worth trying walking on your toes. I do this and also on my heels.

I remember many years ago when I wasn't long married, digging up a lot of strawberry plants which the wife had planted. She wasn't best pleased. I had thought that they were weeds! 

I did my second run in my new Asics this morning. I ran 7.76 miles on roads and they felt good. I will probably wear them next Saturday for the 5k challenge.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    yanaweng - not that I imagine you'll read this but nope, no interest here. So I've flagged your post as spam.

NB: In fact, for what it's worth, I went further than that. I went to NuNee's website and left a couple of messages asking why they deal with marketing firms who employ interns that spam Runner's World forums rather than dealing with bona-fide advertising agencies.

==========

HS - Athena has got back to me to let me know I'm booked in for a haircut on Thu 9th Jul. Yes, I'll have to supply my own face covering so before then, I'll have to visit my local pharmacy and see if they have any masks available. I've worked out the cause of the pain in my left foot. It's due to Fridays golf, specifically playing 18 holes for the first time. I realised that as I hit the ball and follow through, my left foot stays planted as I rise onto my toes of my right foot and turn to face where I've hit the ball. I just went through those movements as I thought about it and lo and behold, that's exactly where my foot is aching! Glad to hear your new shoes are comfortable (I always do a few short runs first to 'bed them in' whenever I have new shoes.

No running for me this morning as my left foot still aches a bit - I'll probably leave off running for a few days.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning all

WtnMel: Well done for not only flagging yanawengs post as spam (which I’ve also done) but also taking the trouble to visit NuNee’s website and leaving those messages. I don’t suppose they’ll get back to you, but if they do it’ll be interesting to hear what they have to say.
    I’m sorry to hear about your foot problem, but it sounds like you’ve been able to track down the cause pretty quickly. Hopefully a few days rest will put things right again. 
    Whoops to the cotoneaster mistake, but I think everyone who has ever done any gardening has done something similar. While I love my garden I have to admit I’m not much of a gardener myself, Steve does most of the work, but I have pulled up “weeds” trying to be helpful, only to be told they weren’t weeds at all. On the same subject, I remember our youngest son, when about 7 or 8, announced he had discovered lots of ants on a bush in the garden so he had got rid of them for us. It turned out to be our peony roses, and he had cut all the buds off as they were covered with ants. We hadn’t the heart to say anything because he thought he was doing the right thing, so no peonies in our garden that year!
    You are lucky to get a hair appointment, I hope you can find somewhere selling face masks. I’ve never tried to track any down yet, but I have been wondering how widely available they are at the moment, and also how effective. No doubt some are better than others, but I imagine if your local pharmacy stock them they should be of reliable quality.

HS: Our last posts crossed, but I see you had another good 5k result on Saturday. Well done, hopefully your new shoes will help you to a new PB this week :)
    I agree it will be some time before dentists and hairdressers will be operating normally again, also opticians - which is a nuisance as I’m well overdue an eye test and find myself struggling with my current glasses. Steve is still waiting to hear when (if) he can be fitted with a heart rate monitor. He spoke to the hospital again this week and they asked him to send in more of his own readings and they will decide from those whether he needs another op. I think that’s a little worrying, particularly as we don’t know how accurate the monitor that we bought is. Sometimes it gives a reading to say he has possible atrial fibrillation but if he then immediately repeats the test it says the reading is normal. It does warn that electrical “noise” can affect the results, so I don’t know how reliable the results are. 

I’m still not running, but we did go for a 4 mile walk yesterday. It was quite funny, we were determined not to get soaked again so as it was looking overcast and thundery we had our hooded jackets on. As I’ve said before all the walks around here are hilly and we hadn’t gone very far when we found it was really quite close and oppressive, and we were getting warmer and warmer due to both the weather and hills, then the sun broke through the clouds and we were nearly passing out with heat exhaustion. We’d taken our coats off but were “perspiring freely” to put it politely. 

My physio has invited me to take part in a Zoom pilates session tomorrow, I’ll see how my heel is before I make a decision about joining in.
  • Good afternoon everyone,

WtnMel, well done for your actions re the spammer. I've also flagged him, making 4. One more and will be gone!

My local pharmacy doesn't have any masks, but the post office does. That's odd, isn't it. I haven't attempted to buy any yet, but probably will have to when my hairdresser eventually reopens. I can't envisage wearing a mask at the dentist, as how would he get to the open mouth. 

It's good that you have discovered the cause of your aching foot. You will have to modify your follow through. A few rest days will probably do the trick.

Aquarius, yes our previous posts crossed. Thanks, I was pleased with my 5k time, and hopefully, when I wear the new trainers next Saturday, I will be a bit quicker.

That must be worrying with Steve still waiting for a heart monitor. It does sound as if the one he has is unreliable.

I sympathise with you for the oppressive conditions and the fact that you set off wearing  hooded jackets for your walk yesterday.

That Zoom session with your pyhsio  could be beneficial. I don't have Zoom, but used to have Skype. I deleted it from my laptop when I was no longer using it.

It was very hot and sultry in the forest this morning, and I ran 10.1 miles with Sarah F, Jane and Andy. This is the furthest we have run for quite a while, and it was hard going in the heat. The terrain is quite hostile now, mainly due to the lack of rain, and the tree fellers vehicles leaving deep tracks.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    spammer -  he (or she) is gone :)  

• AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all,

Birch: hi, I assume we have you to thank for the final flag that got rid of that spammer? If so, many thanks, we’re getting a bit thin on the ground on this thread at the moment so your input was very helpful.

HS: Well done for running over 10 miles on what sounds like a hot and sticky day. Your endurance strength is very impressive, I bet you give “the youngsters” a run for their money when they accompany you on your forest runs.

WtnMel: how's the foot? 

Molly: I hope all is well on your side of the pond.

This morning I took part in that Zoom Pilates session I mentioned, and it was really good. There was an interesting discussion at the end about the importance of breathing in through the nose rather than mouth breathing. The session lasted about an hour and was aimed at different levels of ability, with options explained for the various exercises depending on ability, and with time at the end to ask questions. I hope this will be a weekly thing as I found it very enjoyable.

Yesterday afternoon we went to a local plant nursery that a neighbour had recommended. We hadn’t been aware of it before although it is just a short drive away. It was all outdoors, including the payment area, and although a fairly small plot there were lots of different plants available, including fruit and veg plants. We spent a small fortune I’m afraid, mainly on half a dozen large pots, but also a couple of clematis and various other plants. Social distancing was maintained by following arrows (when people remembered to that is). This afternoon we are going to pot up our purchases, so I’d better head off now and give Steve a hand. 

Thanks Birch for putting the final touch ridding us of the spam post. Are you a poster on the Over 60's thread? I seem to recognise the name, but I haven't posted there for a very long time.

Aquarius, thanks, Mondays run was tough, but we kept together, spaced apart, of course, for the duration of the run.

That Zoom Pilates session sounds like it was very beneficial, especially the breathing. I was looking through my book "The competitive runners handbook" a couple of days ago, and discovered that my breathing doing press ups was incorrect. I was exhaling when lowering myself, instead of inhaling. 

Good to hear that you were able to buy a selection of plants etc. Did you have to pay with cash? I went shopping in the village this morning, and the Tuesday Market was fully operational. I intended to buy some plants but they only took cash, not cards. I didn't have any cash, so had to go without. I could have used my card in the Banks cash dispenser, but didn't fancy pressing the keys.

Today is a rest day and I have been busy cleaning the bathroom, and doing more shredding. Sarah H popped round during her bike ride and we chatted for a while with her outside and me indoors. Karen  popped round yesterday with Bella, one of her twins, on her way back from the supermarket.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

Aquarius - I see yanawengs post has now gone. NuNee won't be getting back to me because I left my name as "Mr Pissed Off" and an email address of "blahblah@gmail.com". So if anyone has been daft enough to choose that email address, they'll be getting any messages destined for me :) You mentioned ants - when I went to remove some dead stuff from a large (2 foot dia.) pot we discovered it was an ants nest. If I can't find any face masks I'll re-purpose a sock (saw a film showing how to cut one up to make a mask). Shame you aren't able to run at present but I see you've been for a walk, although I notice you were 'glowing' by the end (that's what ladies do isn't it?) ;) Glad to hear you enjoyed your Zoom Pilates session as when we discussed using it a few weeks ago, you seemed a bit unsure (or maybe that was your sister?). Good luck potting up all those plant purchases - that will keep the two of you busy.

HS - I don't think modifying my golf follow-through will be possible as I'm doing it the way you are supposed to. I think the answer is to continue to stretch that part of the ankle/foot to stop it aching in the first place. Well done re your 10ml forest run.

Birch - thanks for your help getting rid of the spammer :)

My left foot seems to be better after a few days rest and I've been trying to stretch it as and when in the meantime. Hopefully I won't make it any worse tomorrow as I'm playing golf again then. It looks like it will be rain showers so we may keep dry if we're lucky again.

I've not run since Saturday and today it would have been possible but I was otherwise engaged. I took advantage of the dry weather yesterday (at least, the dry weather in the morning) to rub down the up-and-over garage door and paint it with primer where the old paint had flaked off completely. Today I got up early and applied the first coat of some exterior eggshell paint to the garage door and I was done by 9am. 

It's supposed to rain on Thu so I'll probably go for a run then. 

And on Friday, assuming the weather has improved, I'll give the garage door a 2nd coat of eggshell if it's going to stay dry. I noticed a small patch on the front door I did a few weeks ago where I didn't cover it properly so I'll touch that up on Fri as well.

Re the plant pot/ants nest .. when I discovered it I put the pot at the far end of the garden and liberally coated it with ant-killer. Today I inspected it and although there were still some ants scurrying about I was able to remove all the dead foliage and put it into the garden waste bin. There were probably still a few ants alive in amongst the dead foliage so I dusted the garden waste with ant killer again just to be sure!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    you're welcome - yes, I post on O60 training (thanks for the message on there, WtnMel)  
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all, 

Another sticky humid day here in the North East, with a reading of “very high” for the pollen count. :(

HS: That was nice of Sarah H and Karen to call by while they were out. It’s nice to pass some time chatting with friends. 
    We paid for our plants etc by card, I don’t think they accepted cash. It was a bit of a worry using the buttons on the card machine as everyone in the queue before us had used it, and I don’t think it was getting wiped down between users, but I may be wrong. There was plenty of sanitising spray beside the trolleys as you went in, so people were able to sanitise their own trolley before use, and after we’d put the plants in the car we used our own antibacterial hand wipes, so I suppose all in all the risk of catching the virus was low (except perhaps for the idiot who was sneezing as he walked around, making no attempt to use a tissue or handkerchief). 

WtnMel: I laughed at the name and email address you gave to NuNee, but then anyone thinking NuNee is a good name for their business can’t expect to be taken seriously.
    Well done for tackling that ants nest, it sounds horrendous, and the little blighters get everywhere don’t they? Just thinking about them is enough to make you feel itchy. I remember being bitten on the leg by one that had made it’s way onto a garden chair and it was surprisingly painful. 
    More painting? You are very industrious, what are you going to do when you run out of jobs?
    I hope the golf went well today, and the rain didn’t spoil it. Don’t forget to stretch that foot afterwards!

WtnMel, alias Mr Pissed off, our posts crossed again! 

Rotating your foot may help to ease the ache, or massaging the top of the foot.

I hope it stays dry for you on Friday so that you can give the garage door a second coat.
    Also hoping that you have now eradicated all the ants!

Birch, nice of you to pop in and help us get rid of the spammer. I must have a look at the over 60's thread again, to see if I recognise any of the posters. I imagine some have left, and there are some newbies. We have lost most of our regular posters on this thread unfortunately.

Aquarius, its been another hot and sticky day here too. Yes it's nice when friends pop round for a short chat.

I agree with you about pressing the buttons on the card machine. Sometimes we have to insert the pin number, and the keys are so small, that I have to hold the machine with one hand, whilst pressing the keys with the other. I was surprised that none of the stall holders in the Market on Tuesday accepted cards. It's very dodgy handling cash, as germs can linger on the notes, and even coinage for some time. There's always some ignorant person coughing or sneezing into the air.

I had a good run with Sarah H this morning. We ran 6 miles on roads at a good pace and were sweating in the humidity. We ran the last half mile as fast as we could, so were very pleased with our selves. I was a bit annoyed at one stage when a youngish couple walking close together were walking towards us, and we stepped into the road to avoid them. They completely ignored us, so I said in a very loud voice, "You're Welcome!" Why are some people so ignorant🤬 

• WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Afternoon everyone,

Aquarius - sorry to hear the pollen count is high again today (I'm just glad I don't suffer with hay-fever myself). I've been able to pay contactless just lately but can empathise with not wanting to touch buttons everyone else has been prodding. I have a 'thing' about any company that use puns like NuNee for their name - however, I'll make an exception for the humorous shop names (like a fish & chip shop called "Lord Of The Fries"). I didn't like dealing with the ants nest - I waited until they calmed down before tackling it and did feel itchy afterwards. Yes - more painting (this is the garage door I couldn't do because I was worried I'd run out of paint part way through). 

HS - oh dear, crossed posts again. I have been busy rotating my ankle and stretching my foot this way and that. It looks like the weather should be better on Friday and any rain may be in the afternoon. So I'll get up early again and put on another coat before it gets too hot. I see you've been having to use the card machines - I have some money in my wallet from before the lockdown started .. goodness knows when I'll ever get round to using it. Ha-ha .. well done for shouting "You're welcome" to those ignorant young couple. I think it's because they're young that they're so ignorant - did they have their noses stuck in their phones by any chance.

As I mentioned, I'm planning to run tomorrow and paint on Fri. As I haven't been for a run since Sat, those pesky Fetchpoint bugs have been spawning. I've just had a look at the map and can see where the 4 of them are - luckily they are in positions where I can plot a route to run through those points and squish them fairly easily. I just need to check the map before I set off tomorrow morning to see there the 5th one has appeared.

Had a really good round of golf this morning and we stayed dry so that was a bonus. I managed 2 pars & 4 bogies for a score of 46 which is only 3 off my best-ever score of 43 that either Alan or myself have managed. Unfortunately, Alan played even better than me with 3 pars & 5 bogies for a new best-ever score of 42! My foot doesn't feel too bad at the moment although it was only 9 holes - I'll stretch it some more in a bit.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Ha-ha .. an extremely wet run early this morning to make up for staying dry at golf yesterday. I was soaked through and had to peel everything off in the utility room and dump it in the sink or I would have ended up dripping water everywhere. The running gear is slowly drying - but I'll need to stuff my running shoes with newspaper to help them dry out. I saw on Strava my clubmate Iris was out running at the same time and she said she had to do the same.

WtnMel, My local fish and chip shop which I haven't used for several years is called "Chip and Tails." The owner was on "The Weakest Link," a few years ago. He didn't win though.

I'm usually able to use tap and go on the card machines in the supermarkets, but now and again they require your pin number for security reasons. Also anything over £45 requires the pin number.

The ignorant couple didn't have their noses stuck in their phones, but so many do. What annoys me is when a mother or father is pushing their child in a buggy (I don't think they are called push chairs any more) completely ignoring the child, absorbed by texting, or even talking on the phone.  I sound like "Mr Angry!"

It sounds as if you and Alan played really well yesterday  over the 9 holes. 

Sorry to hear that you got a soaking during your run this morning!

I ran 6.5 miles in the forest this morning with Sarah F, which included a pyramid session. 60, 90, 120,
    90,60 seconds. 10k pace outward and 5k pace return. We did 2 sets, and then jogged back to recover. A very tough session, which was one of the virtual training sessions, one of our Coaches had posted on the clubs website. It started raining just before we finished, so didn't really get wet.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all, 

WtnMel: Oh dear sorry to hear you got soaked this morning, I’ve had runs like that where I’ve had to peel off wet clothes as soon as I’ve stepped through the door. I’m with you on using newspapers to dry out shoes when they get soaked through, it’s amazing how quickly they dry out.
    Did you manage to get all your Fetchpoint bugs this morning? Well done on yesterday’s golf match, I’m not up on golf scoring terms but from what you’ve said it sounds like you had a really good game, pity Alan did too! Still it’s all very encouraging, and good that your foot didn’t give you any problems, I hope it remains that way. 
    I’ve been meaning to ask, how is your mum doing now she is back home, is she coping ok with her mobility aids?

HS: Well done for your road run yesterday with Sarah H, I don’t know how you manage to run 6 miles when it is humid, I’d be wiped out for a week if I tried that. :D  How annoying that young couple wouldn’t move out of the way for you. Unfortunately it seems there will always be some people who don’t bother with social distancing, they probably think they are immune to the virus, but it’s not fair on everyone else who is trying to be considerate to others and keeping to the 2 metre rule (although it sounds as if that will go out of the window soon, then no-one will bother to move out of the way).

Still no running here, I did briefly consider it this morning but the less I do the more lazy I become, and this morning it was cold and drizzly and I just couldn’t summon up the energy. Also, in my defence, the daily pollen levels here this week are classified as either “high” or “very high” which unluckily was the case when we went to the garden centre (again) yesterday to buy a couple of lengths of trellis to fasten the clematis plants to, and consequently today my eyes are quite sore. I had thought that by wearing sunglasses I’d protect my eyes but apparently not. My appearance was odd to say the least. Following hay fever advice, along with my sunglasses I had a liberal smear of vaseline around my nostrils, and for virus protection I was using a running buff as a face mask. No style points for me I’m afraid, only a lot of close up peering at price tags in the sunglasses-induced gloom, and overheating due to the buff around my mouth and nose. B)

I’ve been checking Red’s blog page from time to time, as she hasn’t posted anything on it since March, however today I saw she’d updated it to say that due to the Covid situation she hadn’t felt much like posting anything, but has recently started running again. Also both she and Mike are fine and busying themselves with garden projects. I tried to leave a comment saying it would be nice if she could pop in here sometime to say hi, but I’m not sure whether my comment actually posted on her account. Anyway I thought you’d be glad to hear they are both keeping well and self isolating. 

Runningfox: (if you are still dropping in from time to time) I tried to post a comment on your blog too, but for some reason I still can't get that to work. I just wanted to thank you for your latest posting (your photos are always so uplifting) and to hope that the day in the Dales helped raise your spirits, nature is often the best medicine.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    HS: Yet again our posts have crossed  :) we're getting quite good at that aren't we?
    That sounds like a very tough training session today, well done to you both for making the effort, and lucky to get it finished before the rain came (unlike WtnMel  ;) )
  • How do you start a thread?
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    PDM31 said:
    How do you start a thread?

By clicking on 'Home' (below), then a section name (like 'General Running') then 'New Discussion' ..
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone,

I've posted a note to PDM31 about starting a thread - just hope it's not a spammer!

HS - I'm "Mr Angry" too when it comes to parents with their noses stuck in their phones instead of speaking to their children. There's a loud-mouthed, moronic young woman who lives over the fence from us who shouts at her kids when they interrupt her very important t******g about on her phone. Yes, I think yesterday was probably the best 'combined' rounds of golf that Alan and I have played. Well done re your forest run earlier. No pyramid session for me .. I just plodded round. Glad to see you dodged the rain.

Aquarius - I didn't mind getting wet .. it was quite enjoyable to be honest and I managed to squish all 5 bugs as well. The par for that course is 35 so that worked out to just over 1 extra stroke per hole. To put it into context, I'm often in the mid to high 50's on that course and I used to be in the low 60's sometimes so those golf lessons are really paying dividends. I spoke to my Mum a few days ago and she seems to be getting on fine. She bought herself a shopping mobility trolley a couple of months back and said she gets on better with that than the one they supplied her with when she left hospital - but the one they've given her does have a tray whereas her one only has hooks for hanging a shopping bag on. Shame the pollen levels are still high and your eyes are sore as a result. With that garden centre get-up, they may have been expecting you to say "Stick 'em up" when you got to the till ;) Glad to hear red and her OH are both well - I am friends with her on FB but thinking about it, I haven't seen any updates on there either.

I'll check the weather forecast later to see what tomorrow will bring. It's been raining all day long here so I wouldn't have gained anything if I'd waited to do my run. In fact, being so wet meant I only saw 1 dog-walker, 1 pedestrian and 1 other runner so there was no dodging about needed. With it being so wet today, I may have to wait until mid-morning tomorrow to paint the garage door as it may still be drying out first thing!

Aquarius, I've been thinking about using a running buff as a face covering if they make it mandatory in shops. I'm not likely to use any public transport.

Thank you for the update on Red, I often wonder how she is and whether she is still running. It's good that she and Mike are both ok.

Another previous regular was Double Bionic Running Wolf, who lives in Germany. I think she eventually gave up, because after the RW website was disastrously updated, she had great difficulty posting. Our "Founder" JJ left us years ago, without as much as a goodbye.

Thanks also for the update on Runningfox, I'm glad to hear that he and his wife are still both running.

Yesterdays pyramid session was very tough, but that's how we wanted it. We intend doing a structured training session every Thursday, following the virtual schedule on the club's web.

WtnMel, I have my doubts about  PDSM31. There is a thread in "General Running" entitled "How do I start a new thread?" This has been going for what seems like years. Why didn't he/she click on that.

Glad to hear that your Mum seems to be getting on all right. A good idea having a shopping trolley. My parents got one after Dad gave up driving, and were able to walk to the supermarket with it. 

Did you run today?

The weather is really grotty today, so I'm glad that it is a rest day. I decided to drive to the supermarket instead of walking, and I'm really glad that I did, as I ended up with 4 heavy bags of shopping.

I'm doing the virtual isolation 5k challenge again tomorrow, and will be wearing my new trainers, which I have worn 3 times, so should be broken in. It will be interesting to see whether Thursday's pyramid's and new trainers will produce a faster result🤔

I received a lovely Father's Day card from my daughter this morning, which was handmade by a friend of hers. She only posted it yesterday, so that is very impressive delivery, especially as she didn't add the post code to the address.😁
  • RunningfoxRunningfox ✭✭✭
    Aquarius:  Yes, I still drop in most days to see what you're all up to.  My eyes get worse almost by the week so I don't do any posting.  By holding Control and using the mouse wheel I can enlarge text so I can read enough to do emails and, occasionally, my blog.  But I still make numerous mistakes which have to be corrected, so it all takes more time.
    As you'll have seen from my blog I still love to get out into the hills jogging and walking, but I have to be very careful on uneven or rocky ground (which I prefer to flat, boring roads).  As a fell runner I'd run the mountains fearlessly but I've become terrified of falling.  I'd have a job walking up Ben Nevis now, let alone run it with all its satellites.  My brain still  wants to, my body wont let it!   I't would be nice if they could find a cure for old age.
    Here's a picture taken a few days ago in the Yorkshire Dales, gazing down at my feet which seems to be the norm nowadays...
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - I've been using my running buff on the rare occasions I've ventured into the village. But as I may have mentioned, I'll have to pop to the chemist to get myself a 'proper' face mask ready for when I have my haircut in a couple of weeks time. I've not seen any further posts from PDM31 - let's hope it was a genuine enquiry (though like you, I had my doubts!). I don't blame you driving to the supermarket, especially as you ended up with four heavy shopping bags (you may recall I damaged my rotator cuff trying to carry too much shopping). My younger son has been in touch - he's sent me an Amazon voucher for Father's Day but as he can't get to the shops, I told him he didn't need to make a special trip to get me a card .. I'm not sure my eldest son is even aware its Father's Day this weekend!

RF - thanks for popping in to let us know how you're doing, especially as it's a struggle with your eyesight the way it is. As I'm not a fell runner (and overweight), running on the flat roads is normally enough for me. If I was able to lose weight I might venture onto Cleeve Hill (like some of my more sprightly, lighter, vastly younger clubmates) but I know my current limitations. I walked up Ben Nevis back in 2005 (after having 'done' Snowdon & Scafell Pike in the previous two months) and I often wonder how I would get on if I ever attempted to climb any of them again. My friend and I have often said we'd like to go to Snowdon again, purely to see the new café/visitor centre.

The weather hasn't been conducive for painting the garage door for a day or two - no matter, I'll probably do it on Mon or Tue.

I ran early (6:15) this morning - just under 5mls and although there were more cyclists, dog-walkers and walkers around, I only saw one other runner.

Right - I've just refreshed the RW website and there don't seem to be any new posts since the last time I checked :) So here goes ..
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good afternoon all

Runningfox: Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post when your eyes are giving you so much trouble. I remember you mentioning the injections you have to have, so I’m sorry to hear your eyes are getting worse. I can well imagine that writing and editing your blog must take you a lot of time as you always make it look so professional. I was about to say we might have to wait a bit longer these days for your posts, but they are always worth the wait, then when I checked your blog I noticed two more posts from you in the last couple of days. I’m pleased you managed to get up to Castle Hill in time for sunrise today, I know you like to welcome both the summer and winter solstices.
    I don’t wear glasses for running (although I know I should) so I’m always watching where I place my feet, not so much of a problem on the flat as you say, but uneven ground is a problem. When running downhill on cross country courses I just squint and hope for the best, I’m always amazed at how many rabbit holes and clumps of grass have been inconsiderately placed on the course, not to mention half hidden tree roots :) . I expect I’ll come a cropper one of these days.
    I hope you and your partner manage to do a lot more running and walking this summer, and who knows, perhaps you may even get to Menorca after all for your delayed birthday trip.

WtnMel: thanks for the explanation putting your golf score into context, I can see why you were so pleased with the outcome of Wednesday’s game now. Those golf lessons have been a good investment.
    Glad to hear your mum is coping well now she is home. My aunt’s mobility trolly had a tray too, and she found it a great help. She always kept her mobile on it so it was in easy reach. And her tissues. And her tablets. And her glasses case. And a glass of water. And a pen, just in case.
    Good to see you are still getting out for runs, you put me to shame, I really must make the effort. (Well done for squishing all your bugs!)

HS: How did the 5k challenge go today? I hope your new trainers did the trick. I remember Doubly Bionic Ironwolf with her two dogs, and that she gave up on this forum because she started having problems getting her posts uploaded. I hope both she and her husband are keeping safe in these horrible times. Yes, it was good to see from Red’s blog post that she and Mike are keeping well. Did I mention she is doing another one of those Six Pack Revolution online exercise courses? They sound horrendous, I don’t know where she gets her energy from, but she is always so positive and “can do” about things, she’s quite an inspiration. 

We found a new 4 mile walk yesterday. We’d set out for a walk over the bridge into Northumberland, a walk we’ve done before but, on an impulse, about half a mile after setting off we turned off along a lane past a cottage. After negotiating a rather potholed track for a few yards it soon changed into a pleasant country road that eventually took us to the back entrance of the nursery we’d visited a couple of days ago. We hadn’t taken any money with us, so we weren’t tempted to buy more plants fortunately. We didn’t hang around there very long though because the rain started, and yet again we had to hurry back home to change out of wet clothes. 

• Runningfox, good to hear from you again. Sorry that your eyesight is not so good nowadays, and that you are not so confident on your feet. I also prefer off road to roads, but I have never been a fell runner. That's a great photo of you running on the Yorkshire Dales.

WtnMel, I remember you saying that you once damaged your rotator cuff trying to carry too much shopping.

Well done, getting out for another early morning run.

Aquarius, when I had my last eye test the optician recommended that I wore my distance glasses for running, to help slow down the development of cataracts. I haven't done so yet, but might try next week when it is forecast up to 30 degrees mid week.

The 5k went ok thanks, but was 6 seconds slower than last week. No you didn't mention the six pack revolution exercises, but they do sound horrendous.

Sorry to hear that you got caught in the rain again whilst out walking. 
  • Hello
    Hope you all had a good day.
    I did my 10k today and there were loads of young lads on the prom drinking ...I avoided them.
    I did get a PB on the run so I was well chuffed and I got my push bike back after 3 months too.