London 2020

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hamburg have come out and said their marathon of 10000 will be taking place in September. Apparently runners will be required to wear masks at start and finish. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    2m rule is about to become 1m. The infection rate is plummeting, if that keeps going down then there may no longer be social distancing in 15 weeks. Even if 1m is still in place the infection rate might be low enough for racing to take place. Racing looks set to be back by October, whether vlm can make it remains to be seen.
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    I can't see that the virus will have gone away by October.  The issue for the mass race is that thousands of people congregate in a relatively small space, from all over the UK and overseas.  Even if there are only 4-5 infected runners beforehand there could easily be 4-500 by the time they have grouped and regrouped at the start, around the course, and at the finish.  And they then disperse back to all over the UK and abroad.  How can "track & trace" possibly work to identify those you have been in contact with?

(6000?) Volunteers are still needed.  Clearly they are happy enough to step forward in normal times, but will enough of them be prepared to potentially put themselves at risk in current circumstances?  And since many volunteer groups are club-based, if someone in that club tests positive a few days beforehand, a whole water station / start / finish / baggage etc team could suddenly withdraw 24 hours before the race.

If it does go ahead, perhaps it will be a rather different race to normal?  E.g. no expo; no baggage transfer (like the limited experiment in 2019); everyone to carry a bottle belt to reduce on-course water stations; only water, toilets and first aid at the finish so people disperse quickly (no photos, goody bags, tshirts, repatriation zone, charity receptions etc).

• The 2m rule hasn't changed - it's still 2m unless that's not possible and then you need mitigation e.g. masks/perspex screens.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Its now called something like "1 meter plus". Screens will only be applicable to bars, transport etc they cant be applied to running, but can be applied to the logistics supporting races.
    There'll be more knowledge gained about how the virus behaves in the outdoors now, it seems to be a lot safer than first thought. There might be a situation where it deemed fully safe to be outdoors by the time vlm comes round.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Brighton have just put put a still on as of now statement too.
  • From the BBC website:

The prime minister said that where it is not possible to stay 2m apart, people should keep a distance of "one metre plus" - this means staying one metre apart, while observing precautions to reduce the risk of transmission.

When distancing of two metres (six feet) is possible that should still be kept, but if that is not possible then one metre will be acceptable if certain precautions are taken such as the use of face coverings.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    That's it "one metre plus". Lets see where we are by july 28th when the next update comes round.

I think there will be a push to get events going again when its safe to.

The Brighton update said they are in contact with vlm, and other organisers do i guess they are all sharing thoughts.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Government data websites also seem to show that the flu season starts at the beginning of October. People from all around the UK, Europe and beyond congregating in London with various types and levels of virus will be cause for concern, way more than usual for obvious reasons.

I don't envy those trying to make the decision.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    They need to give the go ahead for crowds at footy matches and the like before this can go ahead. You can't have empty premier league stadiums and then VMLM happening, is my concern.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    New York have just cancelled. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Now Berlin confirmed no alt date so September 21. 
  • RichNRichN ✭✭✭
    So, Boston, Berlin, New York now cancelled. Chicago looking doubtful.

Just London of the autumn 2020 majors with a positive stance. Fingers crossed that remains the case!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    To be fair, infection rates are still rising in some parts of America. Berlin had already been cancelled provisionally ?

Infection rates here have dropped by a 3rd in the last week. See where we are by 28th July.
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    Don’t defer from 2020 yet, they’re saying that you may not get another place before 2023, 😢
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Its on the website. If you defer you will get a place in 2021, 2022 or 2023. As they still want to be able to offer places to new applicants in 2021. You get asked to select which year, but it might end up being picked for you. But no one should miss out. 
    If it doesnt happen in Oct then i guess they'll just roll everybody over.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i would just sit tight now and see what comes on 28th July. If it's on, yiu csn always still defer, if it's off then they'll provide a fair range of options. 
  • As much as I could without signing up. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LMH - I didn't read any further either.

Not a bad idea for the charity runners and the charities.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I quite like the idea of the london marathon simply moving to october. Ive raced loads over the years late sept to mid October and it's generally a very settled, cool period. Though it would leaed to 4 of 6 majors all in same period. 
  • Snail2Snail2 ✭✭✭
    So... a further update that is still a non-decision!  Now promised by 7 August.

If it does still go ahead, it seems likely to be along the lines I said above:
    Snail2 said:
    If it does go ahead, perhaps it will be a rather different race to normal?  E.g. no expo; no baggage transfer (like the limited experiment in 2019); everyone to carry a bottle belt to reduce on-course water stations; only water, toilets and first aid at the finish so people disperse quickly (no photos, goody bags, tshirts, repatriation zone, charity receptions etc).

because this is now supported by the UKA guidance for road races under Covid-19 restrictions - which also include 'no pacers', and 'spectators to be discouraged'.
  • AliT100AliT100 ✭✭✭
    This is just hoping that lm can organise some sort of event to keep the sponsers happy, they are more worried about losing money than the health of runners and supporters, f all the other majors have suspended their marathons why can’t London? Or are they hoping that the Government says NO so they can use that as their excuse, I personally think their responce is diabolical 
  • Of course it's diabolical. English exceptionalism.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Remember however it is not VMLM who will lose Monday as it is a non profit organisation withal profits going to charity. I think the concern is the many charities that rely on VMLM fundraising to cover their base operating costs. It is a huge decision to cancel in that respect and VMLM should take their time over it as far as possible imo.
  • Final announcement expected this week, but I imagine that a mass participation event isn't going to happen. There may be an elite-only race with tested / screened runners, but even this doesn't look likely. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I think if that were the only option they were working on, they'd have told the masses that last week. Why keep everyone hanging on to tell them only the proper runners will get a race.

However, I do think Fridays briefing developments will have been a kick in the teeth to whatever plans they might have had!

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    I had thought an elite and maybe champs race could be held, but looking at the recent newsflow and announcements, I wonder now. At least we should know by the end of the week. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I think there was going to be an elite race on a closed cct minimum, we'll have to see now though. But amateur football is about to start, so a spectator less course should be ok.
    Not sure re the rest, but there could be differing days, venues and waves to speread everyone accross in order to be covid safe, with closed ccts.

Anyone not wishing to run should be allowed to defer, no one ill be made to run.

The Brighton alteration email quotes the facts that runners have expressed a desire to take part in a covid safe event and the desire to support the local economy.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I agree, give viable options for those not wishing to run, do it over 2 days with an early and later start on a much smaller circuit if possible and get it done.