Starting Again

2»

Comments

• > @Guarddog said:
    > Welcome Braysh - lots of help and friends on the site here. As TT suggests perhaps looking at things you can do initially to either give up or cut down on the smoking and drinking would be a start. You obviously are able to run as 2:20 for the half off the back of so little training is not to be sniffed at, so perhaps look to create time in your day to ease yourself in to running. I feel the more you do the more motivated you'll be to make other changes.
    >
    > Hello Tom - welcome to the site. In answer to the first question it's always good to have something to aim for. It tends to concentrate the mind in terms of training. However I think with the current situation I'd worry that we're not going to be seeing any organised races in the next 2 or 3 months. If anyone is organising something it might be worthwhile ensuring there's a refund policy if it doesn't go ahead. 
    >
    > In relation to the footwear I think if you're looking to get into this more it would definitely be a good idea to invest in a decent pair of runners. It's not just the blisters I'd be concerned about. As you say they're old and they don't fit properly and it's possible as you run in them more they may cause more fundamental issues with regards to your joints and muscles. Going to a shop and having your gait analysed will mean that you're put into runners that are suited to you.

Hi GD, thanks for your reply! Yes I'm aware that races may/may not be cancelled over the coming months. I'm certainly keeping a close eye on any updates and will ensure refunds are available! Like you said, it's good to have something to aim for and I like the idea of trying to beat "offical" times I set as opposed to just my own training runs so I'll definitely keep track of races.

Also thanks for the advice about footwear. I'm aware that some shops probably aren't open/would be able to help sort out running shoes. I'll probably have a look this weekend and see if I can find anything because a good pair would certainly make my runs a lot more enjoyable.
  • TTTT ✭✭✭
    Racsoix, many independent running shops are open. We have one 'up here', you need to book an appointment but what the owner does not know about running would fit on postage stamp! A decent pair of trainers will mean less chance of injury and that means better running. 
  • Thanks TT! I'll be sure to have a look around.
  • Boom. Me too. I'm not doing any kind of system, I'm just going off how I feel. Good for you, I hope we both achieve our goals this year.😊
  • KellerKeller ✭✭✭
    Another person here starting again from scratch!  I'm a lot older, a lot heavier, but unfortunately not a lot wiser than when I used to run 10k's three times per week.  Difficult not to compare now to then and get demotivated.  Knowing there are many returning to running after a break should help!  Keep going all!
  • Eself1941Eself1941 ✭✭
    edited August 2021