Thursday 25th June 2020 - When you try your best, but you don't succeed

Morning.

Lyrics - When you try your best, but you don't succeed

I am battered and bruised after yesterday's visit to the physio but hoping to feel better for it in a day or two. Apparently my knees are worse because I can't run as much as usual or do my usual strengthening work because my knees are bad..............she's sent me through a programme of exercises that she thinks I'll be able to do without further aggravating them so I need to give that a try.

Another lovely morning and hot day in prospect. The combination of how I feel and the heat will probably mean that it's a short run this morning. Stuck in front of the screen this afternoon.

What:            short and easy battered body permitting
Why:             sanity
Last hard:     imagining things returning to how they were before Covid 19
Last rest:      16/6
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning,

LMH: Hopefully the exercises will help your knee and you will enjoy the heat!

Nothing well a mile this morning Achilles not happy so came back it will feel so much better for the rest tomorrow.I have done all my rehab exercises but I guess some days are like that  also good as slept badly with the heat!
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: believe so

Yesterday's were Hallelujah Freedom, Junior Campbell

What: whatever the legs decide, stretches

Why: running to feel. Will be running earlier than usual to avoid the heat...and the legs often don't like running early.

Hope the new exercises help, LMH.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • I hope your sensible approach pays off Poppy.

It feels hotter here than it did at this time yesterday Alehouse and my legs are battered, even after a four mile walk. I think it will be a few very slow miles for me if that. How are you bruised and battered bits?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

What: 8.2k preceded by stretches

Why: get it done. As predicted it was a struggle this morning. So that's this week's MLR. Warm but more of a breeze today. 

Bruised bits aren't stopping me running, LMH, but the left knee is tender in particular and can't kneel on it properly which compromises some of the stretches! Left elbow not much better! Whilst I ran in shorts today, I still wore gloves and a long sleeved top as am scared of falling. And not surprised that you also feel battered post physio.

Chose yesterday, the hottest day of the year, to start putting in the foundations for a path. Probably more of that later. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all
    alehouse of course that was  the lyrics!!!
    today's I know instantly....
    LMH re things going back to how they were before, I am with you.  I cannot imagine.  I saw a video of people getting off trains at Bournemouth yesterday , like a swarm of ants!!! Hope the exercises help, sure they will.
    alehouse, this heat is too much for me, I don't like! Nice running and stretching by you 
    Poppy I am with you this week, my body is telling me to back off
    what: 3.4 mile walk and 3 slow mile run
    why: that is more than enough, walk was with friend then ran alone
    last hard: this morning
    last r est: 31/12/16

Thankfully I slept really well last night!!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Wabo: I hope your body settles down again but well done on listening to it.

I also find it strange on how we can all get back to normal although different for us in Wales.But the pictures I have seen,it seems a second wave will happen .
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • You did well to sleep last night Wabo.

Not the best timing with the path Alehouse. Hope your knee feels better soon. You should see my post physio bruises!

Different for you at the moment Poppy but still the same issues when it comes to returning to 'normality'.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Afternoon
    LMH - understand how the body must feel after a battering. My fizz is only open for priority cases (injuries) at the moment but I think proper service starts next week. 
    Ale - good luck with the DIY and be careful with that knee
    WP - well done for being sensible!

As for normality returning, well I guess there is a weigh up between carrying on with lockdown or a gradual return to normality. I suppose there remains the possibility of a second spike, but there are also the risks to health associated with a continued shut down, economic closure and continued delays to other medical treatments. 

What - lunchtime 6miles
    Why - Mad dogs....
    last rest - Saturday
    last hard - today was a little "Toasty"
    lyric - definitely, yes!

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Afternoon

Missed posting yesterday.

The meat factory outbreaks are a bit to put you off of eating it a bit to be honest.  I do so but locally sourced butchers, small amounts and not daily.

Another ginger fan (currently downing fizzy water with lime slices and a dash of ginger syrup).  Like ginger biscuits too.

Don't know what Hamburg mara / HM is thinking it is doing to be honest.  I cancelled a couple of weeks ago so no more humming and hahing for me anyway.  The race itself would be one thing but travel and hotel accomodation on top..  I can imagine they will still have to call it off.

Seems a bit of a vicious circle with knees LMH.  Hope the visit to the physio will have helped.  Bruises?  Must have been a good pummeling.

Sensible to turn back WP, good luck with the achilles.

Agree on the early runs Ale.  I think it is getting into the habit - but certainly more pleasant than the later heat.

Always good to have a nice nights sleep Wabo.

Glutton for punishment Dustin if you were out in the midday heat.  Maybe a nice cool pub to escape to?

Hope things are ok with Peter and Els today.

What: continuation of less priority on running week and doing other things, relaxed 6 mile river miles this morning to profit from shady green tunnels. Rest of day - bits and bobs at home i.e. lazy day.
    Why: week off work and need to refresh my mind.  Not travelling for a holiday has been surprisingly good - I was expecting to be bored and restless.
    Last rest: 30.03.

Lyrics: no
  • That sounds like a lovely run Hazel. Yes, my physio is rather brutal.

My point really Dustin is that what we are moving towards at the minute isn't normal as it was before and I don't think we'll get there until we have a vaccine. Definitely mad to be running at midday in this heat.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

I would imagine it to be pretty tough in the heat at lunchtime, Dustin!

Hazel, unfortunately Dustin will not be finding a cool pub to escape to; no alehouses open here until July 4th at the earliest. In fact was just hearing of one that won't be opening until the 18th or later. 

Too hot to do much in the garden; from tomorrow it will be probably too wet! Rain forecast here from 9 am until Sunday pm. I do hope that is wrong. Warnings of localised flooding. 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    That's good news from your physio, LMH. Hopefully those exercises will help and allow more miles soon.

I usually make raspberry jam as that's hubby's favourite :)

Els: I just looked up this thing about rhubarb but it seems it's a bit of a myth. My mum used to tell me it's the oxalic acid. But apparently that isn't so, The RHS website states

Concern is sometimes expressed over the concentrations of oxalic acid building up as the season progresses. However, this build-up is mostly in the leaves which are not eaten and the amount in the stalks is not sufficient to have a toxic effect.

Yeah, we are a long way from a return to normality and like LMH stated, I can't see normality being restored until we have a vaccine and the majority of people is immune.

Hazel: Good you can enjoy your time off without having to travel.

Enjoy your easier week, wabo.

Hope the bruises are easing soon, ale

After more than 4 weeks in confinement I'm slowly but surely going stir crazy. I really miss powering myself out ... s&c simply doesn't cut it. Oh well, just have to grin and bear it I guess :)
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Hello

Keep forgetting to post.
    Intervals on Monday then an easy 5km today

Too hot, Lucas struggling to sleep

Lmh good physio is back open.

Yes to lyrics

Chick how's the toe?

Ale sounds like bruising improving?

Have a lovely evening all. Hoping it cools down tonight!
  • No running but garden gate constructed and now in situ. Sequential physically distanced   visitors in afternoon.
    Now down to one carer/daughter although she is still in quarantine.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Good to see you Emz! Was wondering how your week was going with the heat! I can well understand Lucas not being happy!

Didn't realise that you had had two daughters home, OH/Els. The second via Switzerland?