P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Jools - I do 5 sessions every 3 weeks at 135-140 of up to 10 miles. That HR will increase over time by 5bpm until I hit MP HR for those sessions.
    TR - Nice MLR.
    SQ - Nice 3 min reps and 14 miler.
    Joe - Superb 5k!

10 miles for me this morning.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Got two walks in today - 6.6 miles (am when it wasn't so hot...although it was 20) and 2.4 (late afternoon...roasting). Still a little niggly so no running yet but I'll keep the walks up until I can run again as I'm still logging miles for the Laz's Tennessee thing.
    Got an email from Ealing half - cancelled as well. No surprise really. It's going to be a pretty boring Autumn, though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    8 easy peasy pace, first 20 since early March tomorrow.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    13.1mi MLR this morning. Best run of the plan yet - legs feeling stronger all the time; or maybe that was the euphoria of the football deceiving my legs :)
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Steve...That is a seriously low heart rate for HADD. Nice 10 miler.

AWC...It's nice when you can feel the training starting to kick in, good MLR's. Congratulations for last night, hope you celebrated in style....has been some time coming.

Joe...Top class 5k, awesome work. Congrats on the new PB.

TR...Nice strides, i find you need them every week or two to open the legs up a bit with faster turnover. Good MLR, esp with the upping of the pace over the 2nd half. Enjoy the 20, i'll be doing the same with some MP miles thrown in.

Jools...Nice easy running.

Cal...Glad the signs are looking good with your groin.

SQ...I changed into my old 4%s, not enough magic left in them for a race, but i really like them for tempo runs (getting my moneys worth :lol: ) That is a long run at good nick with a buggy, good work. Nice session, it helps having someone to push you on when you are doing them. Be interested to hear how you find the pegs? Good saving on them.

6 and 5 mile recovery runs yesterday where needed, and had my legs feeling a bit fresher for this morning 14 mile MLR.
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    Sorry AWC meant to post this link for you...

https://athleticsni.org/Fixtures/ChampionChip-Ireland-Running-Series

That's the "new form of racing" series i was talking about a few days ago, there is a race on 8th August in Glenarm Castle, which wouldn't be too far away from you when you are over would it?
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Hamo: tbh I was bit bit slow to react last night. Its sinking in more today. Thanks for the link - the Glenarm one is perfect as its a 20min drive from home and its the day after I arrive! I've done the Coleraine 5 mile classic before but it seems to be cancelled this year. Nice MLR today, similar to mine.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    AWC - good news, adapting nicely.

Hamo - no doubt you'll smash the mp run.

20m here, first since early March. Started off with 5m rain, ended with a few miles of sun, plenty of wind in there too. Aim was 20%/10%, 10 av 8.06, 9 av 7.09, slipped the handbrake to finish with a 6.39.......LT and mp run next week.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Hey all. Still getting out there and walking (7.5 miles today, as my "let's see where this road leads" tactic landed me in Norwood and I had to figure out how to get home from there).
    I think I have figured out my groin issue. I was Googling groin injuries and found one from a physio with three case studies. One was a woman with a hip capsule issue which was worse when the hip was in extension, and aggravated by internal rotation of the femur. This rang some bells because a) when I injured my groin in the gym at the end of 2015, my masseur/osteo said he through I might have pinched the hip capsule, b) my right femur is rotated in a little and c) discomfort is on extension (when I injured it squatting, it was when I straightened up from the squat a little too explosively). Ding ding ding.
    With lockdown meaning I can't get to the gym, I've been doing yoga almost every day, and the kind I favour is Vinyasa - lots of sun salutations and warriors, which means lots of lungeing and therefore a lot of hip extension. So I'm going to back off the yoga for now.
    Although I've been doing quite a lot of glute exercises, I'm now concentrating on strengthening glute medius, to try and correct the internal rotation, and hopefully this will do the trick.

Anyway, discomfort is more intermittent now. I feel my groin a bit when I walk - it usually kicks in a third of a mile in to the walk and then last about a mile before easing - but it's more of a slight niggle now (not at all like the walk to the shops I did a week ago when I was almost limping). I might try a short run tomorrow to see how it handles that.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds positive cal, hopefully you'll be running again soon then.

Walked with rhe spo rhis morning and my legs were achey after yday, so nearly deferred my run until later today, but got out there for 6m and turned it into 9m.
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    TR - Nice LR and MLR, you seem to do well to nail the +10% part of your runs. I suspect those are really beneficial in giving you most of the MP adaptations without the fatigue. 

Joe - outstanding 5k, on a great upward curve. Are you going to make it a regular TT?

SQ - hope the new haircut is growing in! Any  before and after photos? Some good sessions as well, we all know short hair makes you run faster!

Cal - fingers crossed you’ve found the cause. Sounds like it’s improving, looking forward to more of your running reports soon. 

Jools - sounds like a great session and will boost your fitness quickly. Solid HM worth of workout as well. 

AWC - building nicely into P&D. 

Hamo - impressive consistency, nicely controlled and am sure there’s more to come. 

Steve - ticking along well, still amazed at your low HR!

Enjoying getting outside a bit more in the cold sunny weather, had a good 9 miles last Fri along the harbour path and beachfront. Yesterday there was another Zwift marathon race, good turnout although for me it started at 5pm which is a bit too warm (especially when the wife also decided to put on the heating :D ) Last time I tried it I struggled to 20 miles so this time set off closely watching my HR. 3 hour pace was already pushing HR above 160 so I knew not to push it and just stayed with a group of 4. We pretty much kept to that pace to 20 miles, with a few slower kms to get in drinks, and then the group split as a couple sped off and one was just doing a LR. It felt exactly like the part of a marathon when it starts getting hard and my HR was up to 180. Just kept grinding it out and fortunately kept it going to finish in 2:59, HR was up to 191 at the end! Pretty wrecked afterwards and after a quick shower and food, straight to bed at 9! Don’t think I’ve felt this exhausted since VLM 2018 when I had nothing left after the heat. Happy to have done another but definitely no more TM marathons for me (I think!) 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    I would definitely not want to do a tready marathon, John - well done for toughing it out.

My groin wasn't sore when I got up so after an extensive glute/hip warm-up I went out for my run. Wasn't sure how far I should try to go but once I'd got going I realised groin wasn't bad at all - I could barely feel it - and certainly less grumpy than my achilles (although that did settle after half a mile or so).
    It felt a little awkward, the way runs do after a break, but generally not bad. Didn't push the pace at all but averaged 10:45 so a nice easy run but not a horrendously slow one (for me).
    So, good news. I'll spend this week easing back in and trying to avoid the temptation of trying out some of the horrendous hills I've found this summer.

• AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Cal: glad things are moving in the right direction
    TR: nice fast finish on the LR. LT and MP this week as well. Oh the joy that awaits!
    John: wow another sub-3 marathon. Great work
    18 miler yetserday morning went fairly well. Still feeling a bit slow and sluggish but legs are definitely improving. Easy 5mi recovery run at lunch followed by some S&C.

• hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    AWC...No bother, hopefully it'll be a decent wee race, and they seem certain of being able to hold it, so that's positive, lovely part of the world too. Nice LR, you are building up well.

TR...Class LR, lovely progression and a fast finish, good work all round. Well done on getting out yesterday too, it will have helped the legs, and the walk before hand will have helped the harmony :lol:

Cal...Glad you're still getting out there walking, sounds positive and even more so that today's run didn't cause any major issues, glad to see it.

John...Another sub 3 and an excellent marathon, fair play to you, and well done toughing it out over the last 10k. Your wife was just trying to help with your warm weather adaptions :lol: 

I took my 8 mile GA run on Saturday easy enough in preparation for yesterdays 20 mile long run with 10 at MP. 
    I woke up to 20+ mile an hour winds with 40 mile an hour gusts, and lashing rain on Sunday...the joys, so wasn't feeling overly "up for it". As usual with these runs i ran the 1st 10 miles progressively starting at 6.50 min miling and increasing 10 secs a mile every 2 miles to finish the last 2 on 6.10's then into the MP miles. These came out in a range of 5.26 min miles (far too fast, but i was annoyed at the previous miles "pace" and upped the effort stupidly even though the previous mile was into a head wind uphill...in hindsight i need to learn to 'settle' myself a bit when things aren't going perfectly and not push it) to 5.52 min miles, with an average pace of 5.38's. So while i was more than happy with the overall pace, it was just a lot harder work than i wanted it to be/than it should have been, so i finished it quite p**sed off about it all. Though in fairness, and with the benefit of hindsight and reflection after a cup of tea, massive white chocolate and Raspberry scone and a shower :lol: , the world looked a brighter place, and and i realised it was very windy which didn't help and the route was a bit hillier than i'd thought it was (no bad thing really) so it wasn't as awful as it first seemed, The strava GAP thing has me averaging 5.35:07 min miling which is faster than i'd aimed for. But i'd still like a MP'd long run in weather that isn't s**t and windy to get a gauge of the pace and if its "do-able". The flat sections with a side/tail wind felt good at 5.35's but who knows. Fingers crossed for better weather when i try 12@MP in a few weeks.

Anyway enough moaning, apologies.. 96.5 mile for the week, and into a cut back week now. Which started this morning with a 6 mile recovery run to be repeated this evening.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Good to finish off with a 2.59 then john, although the 'no more" sounds familiar.

Nice to see you running cal

AWC - that 18 sounds promising 

Hamo - well played for getting it done, great work. Very apt post.........i found myself looking at av speed too much in the recent mp and 10% runs. This week i just let the watch autolap and took ach mile on its oen merits due to wind and elevation. Im going to do the same for next weeks mp and allow myself a bit of slack on the windier and hillier miles. But its tricky to let it go mentally.

15m tonight, pretty wild out, luckliy the 10% in last 5m was mostly wind assisted, so less effort required to make my legs ache.
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone. 
    Agreed on the 4%, hamo. They work well for tempos once they get relegated from racing. Got to to get enough miles per £!
    Very nicely progressive long run, TR. Nice one. Big three days in a row. 
    I’m impressed with the injury analysis there, Cal. There’s a lot to be said for yoga, and I still do a short routine most mornings, but I worry some people see it as a magic pill for running. There are so many types that are so varied - got to find what works for you. To fix my glute medius issue I did a variety of banded exercises but found one non-banded exercise especially useful: lie side down, raise side of feet on eg a a step or low sofa and then bring hips up to make a straight line from shoulder to ankle. Adding in a leg lift from this point extended it as well. 
    😆 John, I do seem to have sped up post hair cut. Definitely a bit lighter as a result. Great going on the TM marathon. The group aspect sounds great. I can imagine the exhaustion, but don’t reckon I could sleep for hours after that. Recover well. 
    Immense long run, hamo. I know Strava will take elevation into account for GAP, but I assume not wind? So you’re doing even better than that - impressive. 

Solid week, hitting exactly 60M. Felt pretty broken after hard consecutive days Wednesday and Thursday, but enjoyed a medium long social on Saturday. Met two similarly paced friends and did a road, trail combo, with one (very) big hill. Apparently there is an end of season cycling time trial up Aggs Hill which sounds like Jools’ cup of tea. 13M with 1300ft elevation, at 8:20 average pace. Lots of chatting but generally steady rather than easy effort. Really enjoyed a mini squad! Thinking about it, I don’t reckon I’ve run with more than one person, outside of meet ups before and after a race, in over a year. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Evening all. Been tuning in regularly but not posted in almost a week!
    Glad the groin issue didn't bench you for too long Cal.
    Solid MLR/LR combo TR.
    Good to hear your already regaining fitness AWC. Feeling good on a decent training HM then knocking out an 18 is good going already.
    That's a cracking LR Hamo - you do like to make your runs harder than called for don't you :D
    Well done on knocking out another marathon this year John. Is that 6 already?
    SQ more good training & childminding combos from yourself.
    Whilst I do most of my runs solo I've missed running in company over lockdown too so it was great to get back on the hills last weekend.
    I enjoyed the route so much I went back early Thursday morning for another go at it. Was a bit tight for time so had to work a bit harder & in the relentless sun too so I was proper cooked by the end with a HR up in the high 160s. Plenty of rehydration over the day but still felt weird that night which led to a very poor night's sleep. Nevertheless I got out early on Friday for another 8M recovery round the Forest fire trails.
    Saturday was not Parkrun & after cruising a 7K wu with strides in the last mile I knocked out a solo 19:45 again then rounded the mileage up to a HM averaging 7:41 pace for the day's running.
    Saturday night involved steady drinking round a fire so Sunday was another 8M recovery. Very happy to see the beats/mile back below 1100 on an easy training run for the first time in 2 years. It's been creeping down but I reckon the last couple of weeks have really helped. I've been dropping my base runs from 10/11M down to 8M, paying more attention to keeping HR in the easy zone & doing the lunge matrix/leg swings before every run. I ran 85M in the first 2 weeks of June but just under 75 for the last 2 & I've also eased back on the hills (just 5,000ft/wk) after monstering May (10,000ft/wk) so too many variables to make a scientific judgement on which factor is having the greatest benefit. Definitely feel fresher though :) 

• SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Good stuff, Jools. Those 17Ms looked brilliant.  I might have to look retrospectively on fetcheveryone at my beats per mile. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    SQ, I do the usual banded side steps and clams but I've found a few other nasty little exercises I've added in. I've started strengthening the adductors too.
    Nice running and a decent total, too.
    Great week from you too, Jools.

I woke up very groggy today and it took me ages to get going (I even considered not running, but then told myself I'd feel better if I ran...which I do, in fact). I didn't make it out until almost 7, which is horrendously late for me. :D   I was also quite sore from the S&C session I did yesterday afternoon (lots of hip/glute stuff but also some push-ups and stuff) so my warm-up today was mostly foam rolling.

Concentrated on form a lot more and it resulted in a little more pace than yesterday. Groin was quiet...achilles had a good old moan though but I'm not listening to any of its nonsense. Anyway, got 6 miles done, so I'm happy with that. I may well take a rest tomorrow and run Thursday and Friday (weather doesn't look great, either).
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭

TR...Yea i need to learn to "let it go" a bit more in training, though mainly only in sessions. Which is a bit odd as i don't bother really checking my pace etc in the middle of a race too much (...i don't think anyway). Lovely MLR as usual. Do you plan to aim for 10% finishes in all your MLR/LRs now? I like to try and finish them quicker, but not sure i ever really hit +10% for sustained miles to finish...though I should if i was following the plan to the letter going by the book i suppose.

SQ...I would assume the strava GAP thing is just for hills too. A solid week from you is right, nice MLR after a few hard days. Lovely to have company, and its nice to run with a group in training to help for race 'pack' scenarios...which im awful in, always petrified of tripping or being tripped :lol: 

Jools...I sadistically enjoy progressing up to MP in long runs, yea :flushed:  :lol: Class "not" parkrun in the middle of a HM distance day. Even more impressive Saturday night after :lol:  10,000 ft a week is savage, fair play to you. Good to see you starting to feel the benefits of your training,good sign.

Cal...Well done forcing yourself out today, i agree, i always feel better after a run, even if ive been dreading it before hand. Glad the groins continuing to improve. 

10 mile with 10x100 strides this morning. Was nice to get the legs turning over, they were a bit dead and flat before the strides.

As its the last day in June, i thought i'd check...2325 miles for the first half of the year (mad how quickly its flown in too), which is by far and away the most I've ever ran in 6 months.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SQ - more solid stuff, good one on running with some company too.

Jools - excellent, your recent block of hilly runs inc lots of double digits has obviously done you good, which has been highlighted by a slight easing off.

Cal - obviously getting healthier, good.

Hamo - amazing miles, hope you get some ROI for it later in year......i wont keep going on the 10% every time. If vlm doesnt happen and I end up at IoW then I'll  do a few long hilly long runs in prep.

Achey legs today, and rained the whole way so happy to just tick off the min 6m. There's still an LT, mlr and mp run to go this week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    331 for june, 1943 for year. Well on target for 3660.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Well done getting out again Cal.
    Great stuff TR. I bet the average pace for June is a lot higher too with all the LT, MP & fast finishing.
    Incredible mileage Hamo & so much quality in there too.
    To put that total in perspective I ran 2,326 miles in the first 3 years of logging my mileage!
    I'd run for about 18 months before starting to keep a record. I only did it because a colleague who'd run over 20 marathons & numerous halves recommended doing it to help me train for my first 'race': the Forest of Dean Spring HM back in March 2006. So in October 2005 I started my training diary. I did a paltry 106M in those 1st 3 months over 25 runs! I did an hour's Tae Kwon-do twice a week & played 5-a-side footie occasionally too so running wasn't my only exercise. Back then I had a non GPS sports watch with HRM strap & apparently I was running hard  every run. I recorded my average HR which was always in the range 158-167 but I ran that HM in 1:46 with an average HR of 173!! I ran VLM in 2007 with an average HR of 162. Funny looking back at it all now - I was so completely naive & random in my training.
    Fast forward 14 years to today's training session which was 13.1M in 1:31 at an average HR of 157! I repeated the 6x2K off 1K float session & finally nailed it B) averaging 6:33 for the efforts & 7:21 for the floats so if anything I was running the efforts too hard but since I didn't fade it hardly matters. I ran after work so it was breezy but 20 degrees & very humid so super chuffed with that session. Walked for 2 minutes after completing the session before jogging a slow mile back to my car which brings up 341 for June & 1804 for the year so if I were to run a marathon tomorrow I'd be bang on the 10M/day average at the half-way point :D 
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭
    Cal I’d agree with the feel better for running point. It’s a rare day I don’t. I guess the trick is knowing when a day off really is for the best. Something I probably struggle with. 
    hamo, I’ve only been around a few years, but reckon you might be on for an all time thread annual mileage record. 
    That’s an outstanding session, Jools. I’d definitely agree with log keeping helping with analysis and improvements. Mostly I love just darting back in to random months. Last June, for instance, I ran 354M including racing two halves and a 10k in the space of 8 days. Also in the month were four track sessions with spoons and three 21M commutes to work. I was even doubling with a recovery on the afternoon of these long runs. The first week was 80M, with an 11M track session on Wednesday and a hilly half in atrocious conditions on the Saturday. Ran 80:40. God knows how! Seems a world away. But fun to reminisce and hopefully slowly creep back towards it. 

Headed out with the buggy this morning to attempt 2 x 20 mins solid effort. Kind of a tempo-light. Paces came in at 7m/m and 7:30m/m up the hill. More importantly effort felt right - nothing crazy and will hopefully leave me in a fit state for some intervals on Thursday. It feels weird going harder whilst with the buggy, but this was probably a good session for it. 8.5M at 7:30 pace. Can’t really get my head around the maths of that but never mind. Then a 20 min jogette this afternoon to get away from the screens for a bit. 
    263 for June and 1578 for the first half of the year. £/M of buggy usage is my biggest deal ever 😆. 
  • JohnOzJohnOz ✭✭✭
    Cal - sounds very positive, I think your dedication to S&C is great and must have allowed you to get back running sooner.

AWC - nicely banked 18 miler

hamo - impressive as ever in horrendous sounding weather. I think in those situations the best thing to do is just go off effort and check pace afterwards, hopefully it comes out over and under consistently. And still a huge week of running so all the benefits would have been there.

TR - great MLR, already banging out 15 milers at pace is great.

SQ - solid hilly running and with the buggy running as well you may have to change your user name! That is a massive month last year, given you weren't even marathon training.

Jools - handy 5k and long WU/CD and then a 91 min HM session is fantastic. Positive signs from the HR as well, how does it compare to when you were at your fittest? Yes I've run 4 marathons now in May & June, will do another one outdoors at the end of this month as part of the Lakeland 100 virtual run.

Took Monday off and then a couple of recovery runs yesterday and today. Feeling OK aerobically but just want to make sure my body gets time to rebuild and absorb. Exciting news is that a small HM is going ahead next weekend, flat and fast so planning to be a 90 min pacer for a mate. 1732 miles for the first half year, my biggest by almost 400 miles 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    John that's great - enjoy the race! And that's a good total.
    Same with you, Jools and TR...and hamo, wow. My goal of 2000 (or 2020) is looking quite paltry by comparison, but then I'm old and busted. (I'm on target, though, despite the odd bits of downtime here and there.)

SQ, I know to take a rest day if I really don't want to go for a run. (There are days when I feel crappy but still kind of want to run, and days where I don't want to go out because the weather sucks and I have to bully myself out the door, but I don't mean those...I mean the days when I really, really don't want to run. That tells me I've probably done a bit too much and need a break, physically and mentally).

However, there are also days when I think I probably should take a rest, but I'm awake early and the conditions turn out to be perfect so I go out anyway. Which is what I did today. Not surprisingly my body was quite grumpy for the first mile but mostly settled after that...I say mostly because good old achilles grumbled the entire way. But I was enjoying the run so I told it I wasn't going to listen to its bullshit and carried on. For 10 miles...which might have been a bit far today as I was quite tired towards the end (I was also running at the faster end of my easy range rather than the recovery end, which would have been smarter, but I was thinking about my form a lot and I know my form gets worse the slower I go).
    I did focus a lot on trying to maintain a long spine and not collapsing into my pelvis as I am prone to do when I'm tired, so my hips and groin held up OK.
    I will definitely take a rest tomorrow, even though it looks nice again. I guess I will go for a walk.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cracking session jools, you are on it !

SQ - oooh that buggy run sounds a good session. Agreed on the ROI on the buggy too.

John - cracking news on the 1/2. Great to see, gives us a bit of hope.

Cal - more positive signs.

I had to talk myself into the 5m LT today on a breezy day, and talk myself into keep going, i had a list of excuses as long as my arm and wadnt really up for it. Came in at 30.54 compared to 30.40 two weeks ago, today was much breezier too, so the moral of the story is to just "shut up and run".
  • hamo44gfchamo44gfc ✭✭✭
    TR...Big month and year so far. Well done talking yourself into running a very good LT session. That'll build mental toughness as well as the physical benefits. 14 secs down over 5 mile in worse conditions is excellent. Shut up and run is a good mantra, must use it myself :smiley: 

Jools...When you break it down to average miles per day you realise how impressive your, and everyone elses, 1/2 yearly totals are, brilliant work. Excellent float session again, you've every right to be chuffed with it, they are hard work and you nailed it. 1.46 for your first go at a HM is some shifting, fair play to you.

SQ...Agreed, i enjoy looking back through runs from the past few years, i (re)started running in the middle of 2016 to help lose weight, after running in school then dropping it as a past-time as women, drinking/smoking and partying seemed like much more attractive ways to spend my time for a while :flushed: :lol: As Jools says it's funny to look back and realise how naive and random i was in my training and that I was running everything 'hard'. Anyway, Tempo-light, i like that :lol: Nice session, and a good sharpener for Thursdays intervals. You've definitely got value for money out of that buggy alright :lol: Impressive monthly and yearly mileage, especially as your not in full mara training too.

John...Good idea taking it easier for a few days after your marathon. 4 in 2 months some going. They'll have helped boost your mileage so far this year, 400 miles more than your biggest is some amount of running, well done. Great news about the race, there is hope after all :lol: Fair play to you pacing your friend too, is it a comfortable target for him, or will you be pushing him?

Cal...You'll smash your mileage target this year, no doubt about that. Nice 10 miler, glad everything, mostly, behaved. Enjoy your rest day.

13 mile MLR for me this morning, and, inspired by TR i decided to finish it with 4 miles at +10 pace. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Solid total Cal & another good day banked. Took me 9 years to reach 2,000 miles in a year
    Shifting TR.
    Certainly switched focus now then Hamo :D  Huge progress in 4 years. What distance did you favour at school?
    Rain this morning but forecast was for brighter later so waited til after work. Eventually got out about half 5 this evening for 9 very hilly miles:2,176 feet in 3 climbs! Easy effort so slow but still absolutely dripping with sweat as it was so sticky out. 
  • SorequadsSorequads ✭✭✭

John you do love a TM marathon. Good on you! Very exciting a race will go ahead. Although doesn’t look great in Victoria? I paced 90 minutes once in a reasonable sized race. It was so much fun. More so than absolutely smashing yourself!

Seems a cracking 10M off no planned run, Cal. Well done. Nice walk today as well. 

TR that is an amazing solo LT session. Very impressive. I remember reading some research a few years ago, into both mantras and what supporters can shout to help. It suggested that ‘run faster’ is simple and effective. And to be fair, when my wife shouts it to me in a race, it works. Blunt and succinct, no bullshit!

I think we all need the party years, hamo. I know what you and Jools mean about running everything hard. I can remember joining the tri club and I simply couldn’t see the point of running anything 10k or less at slower than 10k race pace. Nice MLR.

Blimey, Jools, that is incredibly hilly over 9M. 

9M easy with the buggy yesterday, successfully avoiding the rain. Seemed to master the art of pushing a buggy uphill at sub 9m/m, singing lullabies and keeping the HR below 130. Not easy!

Cracking session this morning with a friend. On the grass sports fields for 6 x 5 minutes with 90s walk recoveries. Struggled a bit in the last rep, but most looked 5:40 - 6:00 pace. Although it is a bit difficult to tell, as my free strava premium ran out today. Will dive into the fetcheveryone stats of it later. Having paused my watch, I got a generous 6:50 pace for 9.5M. Really enjoyable early morning workout.