Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just checking the strava map now, and the bit where faced with a 2mile fast road back to Marlow, where I nipped across a field, there was an actual footpath just going straight ahead :)

Will know betterings next time!

Not surprised you get sore every so often. I leapt one branch at one point, and sort of landed a little too much weight to the side of the foot. So i'm sure it wouldn't take much to get into proper dodginess.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Strava maps are OK, but not a patch on OS.  I guess running off-road is like anything else you just get used to it and running on uneven terrain becomes natural. What always amazes me is that I do most of my training off-road, and yet I am shit at XC and trail races!!!

20M on the bike tonight. Good to get out, but boy it was windy! Even hard work on some of the descents!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    People always tell me low 7s is too fast on road, but i feel more knackered tonight boobing at mid to high 8s for a lot of that, and it didn't especially always feel "easy" pace either :D 
    I think Reg recommended the odd run a week offroad, so while I may not do it that often, the occasional is nice. Especially with furlough being down to a mere 5 weeks of freedom now :)

Aiming to mix and match a freestyled sesh tomorrow.

Something like 4m Moz MP pace, 3x1mile faster, and 4x400m or so. All on a loop rather than the track. Based on waking up feeling a bit fresher obvs.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Bus - hope you havnt hurt yourself again.

Wool - good man on keeping the elastic intact.

SG - back to work in 5 weeks then, thats good news

Agree on the wind today, i lost my cap a couple of times in my 15m tonight.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry TR, i should have said 5 weeks "minimum" still - no change. Just preparing myself...

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hopefully not TR - should be OK by tomorrow.  Double da planned, so hope so!

SG - the thing I find weirdest about off-road fare is the variability in pace even on the same routes. I can do a road route that averages, say 7:30 pace for a steady effort, but will; rarely dip under 7 or go over 7:45, whereas plenty of my off-road routes will swing from an absolute best of around 7:50 right down to 9:30 or so even if underfoot conditions are similar!

Will you miss furlough or be glad when its finished?
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    WOW - Parkrun have just announced they're stopping the New Year's day doubles now.
    Presumably making them all 9am or something.

Citing size and frequency of events meaning too much strain and risk behind it. People monstering distanced between their events etc.

That's a real shame, and I'm no parkrun obsessive like we know!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Bus - it'll need one heck of an adjustment, as it'll have been 4months off!

I at least kept my eye in with quite a few courses, so at least had a number of "full" days of work, which helps a bit.

Can't beat the freedom of getting up late, relaxing, running midday etc (when not hot!), but it's all dealable with by knowing it's temporary and you're still on 80% wage at least.

If it was permanent it'd feel horrible - i remember back in about 2002 when looking for a first permanent job the weeks just felt so aimless, and so long in between applications, interviews, waiting etc

But generally trying to look at it as a once in a lifetime chance to have a mid career break, without risk!
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Today I did the cycling equivalent of an SG off-road run. I was down in Hove test riding a gravel bike. The chap gave me a route but said if you fancy going on a little detour on the South Downs way carry on, so I did and promptly got a bit lost 😀 Bike was amazing though and handled some quite gnarly stuff. Eventually found my way back once I found a phone signal. Pulled my calf slightly on Sunday so will stick to the bike for a couple of days.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Doh! What bike was it Reg?

I like my gravel bike, but more as it makes a comfortable road bike that can take a bit of abuse on crap roads rather than something I'd hit the trails with.  I guess the key thing about handling off-road is tyre choice and pressure, and your never going to get the perfect tyre and rolling resistance to do everything.

7M for me this morning, easy recovery pace. Ankle was OK, but conscious I had to be careful not to go over on it again. 
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Bus - thanks for the OS overlay on Bing, I wasn't aware of that and it's very nice! Off up to the Lakes for a week in August and now I can use my work time much better in the interim  :)

12 this morning for me. Found it hard work but didn't slow down 'coz I'm just a bit stupid sometimes.

SG - I've realized that the AM following for the Mad Nina event may have created the rest of us a bit of an issue. I think it's perfectly possible that the likes of you or me would be able to keep going for the full 24 hours but we'd be forced to drop out and do the honorable thing in the case that AM's still going too!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Wool - It's lovely the club embrace all standards, but it has become a little irritating that they think it's a given who will win it.
    I understand she has stubborness and resolve, but she averaged 12.50 pace for that 100k with 13hours of running over 24hours elapsed. Close to an hour rest for ever hour run.

At 12.50 pace, call it 13, you're talking running around 55mins out of every 60 and a little fade, and you're starting to eat into that tiny recovery and potentially miss the cut.

Compare that to your faster runners who might start at a leisurely 8.30 or so and still have 20mins rest an hour. There's a few absolute long distance animals like Rob Albery at our place too, who will probably suit the event to a tee.

Boredom will quickly become a factor I think. With 3 laps per 4.2(?) mile loop, a few hours in and you'll have got sick of the sight of that park!

Then when it starts to get dark, 90% of the field have disappeared, that'll get lonely!

Could be fun though, and I think it works brilliantly as the first event back...hopefully.
    Could be the nearest thing to Endure we have until the proper one next year.

Maybe it could lead to a mini version of it in teams - that'd be more fun I think.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Edited my quoted session a bit, as I realised that was a bit too much volume and effort.

Therefore went for

4miles "MP", 2x1mile, 2x0.25m.
    MP to be in 6.10-6.15 zone, miles to be "quicker" and 0.25miles to be smashed with what I had left.

Did it on a 0.85mile or so loop, that has a gentle down and up. One side is a bit of a roughish sort of path, one side smooth, and there's a little path between the two at the end that you have to squeeze through a gap near a fence, on even more rough footing.

Lap 3 I decided to see where the path straight down led, rather than turning on the above, expecting it to loop back round to the other side.
    It didn't, it took me to a horrible gravelly rucked up path and a dead end :D  

Explains why the third mile took a hit, but the other miles seem more consistent with different amounts of "up" and "down" and the obligatory keen start. A little overcast and breezy but not too much which was good news.

6.05, 6.17, 6.26, 6.12

Still kept within the 6.10-6.15 framework aim, albeit at the 6.15 end.

A few mins messing about, then a couple of 1mile reps

5.33, and 5.55
    Probs a bit more effort into number 1, and also the faster direction!

Then a couple of 0.25m efforts.
    The "uphill" one 10 feet climb, at 5.09 pace and 1.18
    "downhill" one, 11feet down, that's actually 0.26miles, 4.41 and 1.14

6.5miles of effort in a 9.5miler, that's plenty I think.

Pleased the way they came out, especially the second one. Secured 5/5 segs too, pushing my luck taking one off a guy who came 3rd at Marlow 5 one year in 25.40 :D 
    I do like these Adios shoes, they feel pretty good.

Can feel the effort of today, feel more like we're getting back into some tastier proper sessions, albeit not the ultra regimented track stuff of xx reps at xx recovery of race days.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I love the fact that you've run those AM stats, love it.

For the life of me I don't know how you manage to run the 1st rep / mile of a session as your fastest. You must be really effective at warming up and have no fear! Decent size session there. Not as big as the Steve Fell session I've been invited to on Saturday but you know, not bad  B)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    A warmup to these sessions often has me dripping with sweat anyway, so i'm always ready to go by the time it comes round, and I've spent ages doing my totally unnecessary little steps like undoing already firmly done up laces and redoing them :D 

That first mile in any sort of tempo always comes out quickest, and today started a bit down, so even more so.

The stats for that Mad Nina need a bit of thinking through - which I'm certain the "odds gang" haven't looked at.
    I'd say she'd be close to running continuously from midway at least. That's a tough ask, and leaves every chance of missing the "bell".

If the Fellmeister is like he is in races, I can imagine there's loads of shouting stuff, asking for splits (having forgotten his watch) and all manner of entertainment :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    After that epic day in thread history where we discussed the 3 options of colour for Adios 5, I notice there's another couple of options in the mixer now.

I therefore present "lurid green" and a more traditional colour seen back in Adios 2 days.

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Nice - must admit, I do like an Adios. Nearly all my PBs were in Hagios or Adios.

Cracking tempo by the way SG.

And Wool - 12M on a Tuesday morning is TR esque!

Double day for me, so shorter, anti-clockwise version for this morning hilly off-roader (just for a change!).  Whereas this morning I felt sluggish, I felt oddly good tonight and did the 5.4M at a faster pace than I've run for that type of route since July 2018!!!  By comparison, this morning was 7M, 800 ft in 9:07 pace and this evening was 5.4M, 600ft in 7:57 pace! Must be getting a fair bit of fitness back I s'pose :smiley:
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    SG - good mixed pace session there

Bus - good news on the double, getting fitter and less injured !

12m on a Tuesday with no work or on a wfh would be a doddle. Keep at it wool, and get yr elastic ready.

I had achey legs this morning and still have an mlr, LT and mp run to go this week, so i just did the 6m minimum required to tick a box.

331 for june, 1943 for the year, hopefully I'll  be able to hit the 3660 required for 10 a day average.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Good work chaps - TR, must be inevitable to sometimes get some aches in there on your schedule, but no doubt that'll ease out soon.

Positive Bus. Plenty of elevations as always. Though I think i saw 900 feet on mine yesterday.

Had to look the Hagio up, could only find a review from 11/12. Adidas were running 2 different types of racer at that stage then?

I'll definitely use these Adios to race when we're back up, although I still have only about 60miles on the 4%s so will still wheel those out when necessary.
    Will hold off on any idea on the Adios Pro at £160 until there's a lot of accounts that they're excellent! £85-90 for Adios is still not exactly buttons.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I predict you'll exceed it TR.
    Enjoyed the P&D discussion over the w/e chaps. I certainly have never been able to run my MLRs/LRs fast enough probably due to my love of racing in the past.
    Good to hear your back on your feet Bus. Good tip about Bing Maps - didn't know that - I always used Streetmap.co.uk.
    Decent (not)parkrun Pete. Not familiar with the Rushmoor course though I don't think it's amongst the fastest is it? Will you keep a regular session in your training now you've dropped the 10k program?
    Loads more Crowns in the locker then SG. How many have you gathered (& kept) since you got bored of the more traditional training fare & the lack of racing?
    Talking of races a local company, Rogue Runs, are planning to resume racing from July 23rd with a 4M XC time trial around Piercefield park, followed by an off-road relay in the Wye Valley & Forest of Dean on August 9th & then a 10K TT over the Severn Bridge at the end of August. https://sites.google.com/site/roguerunsevents/home
    Usual fare for me since my expedition to the hills last Thursday. 8M easy every day apart from Saturday when I did 13.1M including a 19:45 (not)parkrun in the middle & today's session which took me to 341 for June & 1804 for the year. Midnight on July 1st is actually halfway through a leap year so if I were to run a marathon tomorrow I'd be on track for the 10M/day average :p That's not going to happen btw as I suspect my legs will be a little stiff after today's session: 6x2K off 1K float again. Finally nailed it without fading at the end B) In fact I ran the efforts slightly too hard averaging 6:33 vs 6:40 target & the floats were pretty much spot on at 7:21 average. Target was the same as before: 8:17 effort/4:33 float. Actual splits were: 8:06/4:33/8:10/4:30/8:06/4:37/8:09/4:32/8:12/4:38/8:08. Really happy with that especially in 20 degree heat, overcast but humid & with a moderate breeze. 2K wu & 2.11K cd to make it a HM averaging 6:58 pace. Did a 1M gentle jog back to the car after a couple of minutes walking.
    Been looking back at my earliest training diaries when I had a non GPS sports watch with HRM. I ran for about 18 months before jotting anything down :D Doubt there was much to record tbh as in my first 6 months of recorded training I ran 214 miles over 50 runs! My average HR was in the range 158-167 & mostly towards the higher end. I then ran my first 'race': Forest of Dean Spring HM in 1:46 with an average HR of 173! Funny to think how much attention I now pay to my training - if only I'd been a bit more scientific back in my thirties. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    46 since late May Jools - they stack up!
    Fact that the previous one before then was May 2019 says it all about the odd period we're in.

Promising with some of these "almost" racing things popping up - saw that Severnbridge one, the organiser of the Murder Mile posts some interesting stuff on their page- Still 1400 people, meaning that's about 8 people a minute going off over 3hours!

Roll on the Leicester outbreak being a random spike rather than a trend, and things loosening just that step or further.

Sounds a good turnout for you.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That's a decent haul SG Shame you can't cash them in  :D
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I did the 5m LT run again this morning and wasnt really up for it on a breezy day, but cajoled myself into it and then through it. Ended up as 30.54 compared to the 30.40 of 2 weeks ago which was done on a much better day, so today was solid after all.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    An even sillier late start of 12.20 or so today, for the customary 10.
    7.22 ish was plenty today after both yesterday's sesh, and feeling a bit hungry having had to do a few bits pre run.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    x post TR - i dare say the days feeling up for those sessions are quite rare! But well toughed out.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SG - i can run on empty early like today, but woil9d have to eat to run at 12ish, so not surprised you were hungry. I can get blood sugar bonk type issues if under fuelled later in the day, so you did well to avoid that........i think i let the windy day mess with my mind, i was trying to remind myself its only training and its the effort that counts.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, the older I get the more I allow both the license to perhaps edit a distance or session, and draw more on disclaimers on weather.

I was definitely feeling hungry midway, although sort of got that classic moment where you start fuelling from both carbs and fat, which just about saw me through.

Certainly hadn't planned on going out so late but things occasionally pop up even for the likes of me.

Don't like the sound of this Leicester thing, and subsequent apparent list of 30 odd places that are supposedly close to bein the same boat. We're drawing closer to some sort of return, so it'd be frustrating for delays starting now.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    That list isnt that clear, as ive seen portsmouth included and we have had only 1 recent case in wks and no deaths at the local hospital in 25 days. Ive also seen us on a doing well list !
    But local lockdowns will prevent things including races ftom coming back.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully it's just half designed to scare people into remembering to keep their distance.

It comes at the same time where deaths are supposedly at the usual yearly total which sounded almost too good to be true.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That's still shifting TR. You're adapting to the faster training paces nicely.
     Sticky out this afternoon SG.
    I was even later as I skipped the early option due to heavy rain, then found I had a work Video Meet thing so couldn't get out around lunchtime. Eventually got out for 9 very hilly miles about half 5 this evening. Easy effort so slow with 2,176 feet in 3 climbs :)