Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I don't think they should count until races are allowed by the governing body.
    Wasn't expecting to run today but finished a little early so managed nearly 9.Definitely won't be running tomorrow so end the week on 54,only 2 less than planned so ok with that.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-I see enigma have said they have had the go ahead off MK parks to hold their August races,capped at 30 to keep in with guidelines.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Ian, yes, I saw that about Enigma.  Regarding the How Hard Can It Be I think he had a 7-mile loop on a course that wasn't interfering too much with the public, so it was 28-miles for the marathon, and it looks like people were just pleased to be out there, and several 100MCers who don't necessarily care about official numbers were there.  I'm in two minds about it - on the one hand I can see why they're currently sticking to the EA guidance but on the other hand if these companies are sticking to the government guidance and their insurance companies are now covering them, maybe they should count.  At 82 marathons, personally I'm not interested in going to do one of them and it not count though.  Obviously these event companies have got a different incentive/viewpoint to get up and running as quickly as possible as no events for 3.5 months will have hit them.  But the fact that groups of 30 are allowed and the company can obviously control things means that things are opening up.  Anyway, I think the committee are meeting again on Monday.

I actually have a similar issue, but much smaller.  We had proposed to do 2 monthly events in July, August and September to try and create some kind of Club Championship this year.  The problem I personally have with it is that even with 30 being allowed, part of the point of the CC is that it is open to everyone so I'm not sure how we'd limit numbers fairly.  Then there are marshals, time keepers and other people, plus we tend to park in a pub carpark which I'm guessing is now open with people milling about.  And, the route goes up a street which has maybe 50 houses on it so what would the locals feel about it?  I'm uneasy about it, and actually I don't know if I'd turn up and do it at the moment.  It's not in any way an "official" race or anything like that so maybe I'm being overly cautious.  We're discussing that at Monday's committee meeting so ultimately it'll be a committee decision.  For my part, if it goes ahead, my role is only to generate the club championship points so I don't need to be at the event in person to do that if others don't mind setting the course up, marshalling and doing the timekeeping etc.  Actually, another thing is that the timekeeping is currently done with counting discs (i.e., when a person crosses the finish line they get a disc with a number on) so I suppose that would have to change.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    7-miles this morning on a regular route of mine.  Surprisingly busy out with runners.  I did stop on the seafront as I thought someone was in trouble in the sea.  He was calling out and I thought he was calling for help.  I had stood by a lifebuoy and was about to get it out and try and chuck it to him (he was quite far out though!), when I realised he was calling to someone on the shore who was out of my sight.  That little incident got the HR racing!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - in 'normal' times events are allowed by the 100MC if they have a permit from UKA or ARC or if the race have their own event insurance.

Big G - SVN have their own race insurance allegedly.   How Hard Can it Be events are permitted by ARC so are fully insured.   ARC are issuing permits if the race organiser gives full details of the event showing that they will stick to Public Health England guidelines that are in force at the time of the event.
    EA guidance is currently for no events at all so not sure if Foxy will be able to get TRA permits for August, if not he'll have to get his own insurance or he could apply to ARC so he has options.

Will be interesting to see if the 100MC allow these events now.

I bet your adrenaline rush to help that swimmer put your HR way up!

8 miles this morning, my favourite hilly run, 548 ft of climb   The early section through town usually takes me past B & Q but I'm avoiding aggressive seagulls at the moment so chose an alternative route which I thought would make the route shorter but it turned out to be the same distance overall.  I do enjoy that route as it's so varied and lovely views of Dartmoor.   Toe seems OK, I'm just choosing shoes that are particularly roomy in the toe box.   Very windy, bit humid, sun and through one village it rained.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I don't know if EA have issued another update but for August events there is only one marathon left on the RunBritain website which is the IOM marathon.   So I take that to mean no EA/UKA events for August.   Shorter events are still listed.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. It's been a very long time! I'm still running and currently running virtually across Tennessee. 
    Hope everyone is doing well! 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @SHADES: EA are due to make an updated announcement in the next few days re: events. I honestly don't know what they'll do
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Sorry I've been radio silenced. Lost my love for running over last 12 months if not longer. Put on weight and everything been hard work. Put on more weigh with lock down and was decorating lots so not much running and too much (haven't I done well) drinking. Drinking only lasted first couple of weeks and stopped that but carried on eating rubbish. When I went back to work after I said fresh start new routine. I was finding difficult to run 5k as I hadn't really ran for 10 weeks in lock down. So I started healthy eating and found a very basic beginners marathon plan. First long run was 5 miles and it's been building from there adding around 1 to 2 miles a week. There isn't any hill or speed based session in it. City to Sea was my target but now it's cancelled. I'm still going to run it but on different date in case others have same plan. The total coastal is still on and I'm booked onto this (oringanal date was my birthday) so need marathon in my legs. I've lost 13lb and fitness is improving. I've been adding in strength training last few weeks and of course this weekend did my TT 5K which was a improvement on recent times but no where near a PB should of picked a flatter course and weather was rubbish elevation 185ft. Decided not to have second attempt as don't want to set back my progress.  Caught up on thread a little bit hope every one is keeping well. I'm ladies captain so collecting everyone's times. Few more ladies to run today. We've had a few PBs with the ladies which is lovely to see. 
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Jelly - glad you've found your mojo again and lost the weight. (That's a hell of a lot of elevation for a 5K if you're wanting a good time!)

Emmy - where are you up to? I should hit Knoxville after today's miles have been logged. Would have been a bit further along if I hadn't had 10 days injured, though I still managed to log some decent walks during that time.

Big G - well I guess it's good he wasn't drowning eh? A friend of mine is down to do a SVN event. That's a bit far for me. I'd consider doing a Phoenix one if I was desperate for races but Rik hasn't announced any yet, just the virtual runs.

Shades, glad I don't have to duck seagulls. The views must be lovely from your hills.

Today’s mission was to find Wimbledon’s Dairy Walk footpath, which a clubmate had found and recommended on Strava. It proved a bit harder than expected. I got myself to Church Road, where I knew there was an entrance, but it wasn’t where I expected it to be (turns out I was looking on the wrong side of the junction). After failing twice, I ran up and alongside the common to see if I could locate from the other end, but as I’d planned to hit it from Church Road, I couldn’t remember exactly where the other end was.
    As it turns out I blundered onto Marryat Road which cuts through the footpath, so I decided to try the left section of path first before circling back to Marryat and doing the right part.
    It turned out to be barely a path, but a narrow, dirt track which sandwiched me between a wooden fence and a lot of brambles and nettles. There was also a lovely big puddle before the path veered steeply upward and back onto Burghley Road. I was not impressed. (In fact, I was thinking “WTF, Dez?” - Dez being the club member in question) but I decided I would at least check out the other half, which is accessed from a cul-de-sac on Marryat Road.
    This half was actually delightful (aside from the fact it was a pretty steep hill) – paved and bordered on either side by all sorts of colourful flowers.  So I’m happy I found that part.
    I wasn’t supposed to be doing any hills just yet but seem to have managed to run up and down a few today. Groin was fine but left high hammy and right achilles were having a contest to see who could scream the loudest. Hammy won.  You’d never guess they’d just had a nice holiday, ungrateful buggers.
    12 miles also seemed a long way today. It feels like I’ve lost all my endurance during the 10 day break, which I know is nonsense, so not quite sure what happened there (I probably shouldn’t have pushed over the railway bridge on the way back in search of a segment PR, but some things are hard to resist).
    Anyway, TL;DR – found it. Eventually.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hey Cal: I'm just around Mosheim but it's not got my 27k from yesterday so I've passed it by now I suspect? It's weird, according to my tracker, I've only got 126km left but it's not recorded some days I think? I need to go back and check my days. Are you doing any other virtual events? I didn't realise you did Rik's events. I've been at a few as he's close to my parents. 

I'm not sure when I last updated  :/ but I had a baby last August and almost died (again) and had a lot of pelvic trauma so it's been a long road back. I was due to run London but that got postponed and the other races I had lined up were all gone so I've been doing some virtual ones. I'm now shooting for Reykjavik in August but let's see how that goes. I'm currently running 5-6 days a week with the buggy and/or dogs so it's not as intense as being on my own.

I'm going to have a read through and see if I can catch up a little :) 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, good news on the toe.

Good to hear from you Emmy.  Ian's hoping for Reykjavik too.

And you Jelly.  Sorry to hear you're having a bad time of it, but good you're back at it again.  Well done on sorting the virtual 5ks for ladies.  I've really enjoyed it for the men.

Cal, yes, when I realised he was totally fine and I had been urgently yelling "is everything okay!!!?" for no reason, it was a relief!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Emmy, I haven't...but I did a couple of virtuals during the lockdown (the Covid-19 and Key Workers runs) as the medals were good souvenirs of this rather strange year. But I'll consider one if they start up before the other races.
    Congratulations on the new baby but that sounds awful. You've recovered well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - lovely to hear from you, hope the family are all well, dogs included as well as children.  :)   I guess you're looking forward to being able to visit your family in the UK and maybe squeeze an event in if possible.   Thanks for the news re imminent EA announcement, think it will be a difficult decision for them re events as part of the country, Leicester, is back to lockdown again. 

Jelly - great to have you back too.   You've obviously been through a really difficult time and then lockdown hasn't helped at all.   But brilliant that you're back running and a big weight loss too.    It's been so hard for many runners to stay motivated as we're just so used to having multiple events throughout the year to keep our focus.  Must have been even harder with very limited contact with Trotters too.
    I had to look up the Total Coastal, that's 3 months away so fingers crossed that will go ahead, what distance are you doing?

Big G - are you doing Total Coastal too?

Cal - Rik permits his races through EA so needs to know that events can go ahead first.  SVN have their own insurance.

This finding new routes is like an adventure every week, you might need a machete for the undergrowth next time.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Shades, I have pencilled it in but I'm undecided about it so haven't entered.  That bit from Kingswear to Brixham is really tough and if it's been raining heavily it could be really tricky underfoot.  I've ran it a couple of times in dry conditions and it's a stunning section of the coast path - I love it.  But if it's wet, I don't think I'd find it as much fun but then I'm really poor at off road.  Also, it crossed my mind a few weeks ago that it would be very easy for me to bail out about half way as it runs along Paignton Green (i.e., one mile from my house!).  I kind of wish I hadn't thought of that, but I can imagine that if it's chucking it down with rain and/or it's blowing a gale and I've had enough, quitting would be really easy ;)    Brian was involved initially with City to Sea so he sets up good events, but I'm not sure how the coach journey will work.  As you say there's 3 months yet so maybe things will change prior to the event.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just realised I've done 58.1 of my 60-mile weekly target so I need to go out again later.  Bad planning!

I've also realised that I've not ran anything longer than 7.5-miles in one run for the last 10 days.  That wasn't a conscious decision but maybe I'll try and get a 10-miler or two in next week.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - it might well be dry, early October.  That's the trouble with very local races, you know what to expect and that's not always a good thing.

Leicester marathon is supposed to be on the same day, if all normal re racing that was a good marathon although I haven't done it for a few years due to date clashes.
    Don't know if it's the same route but it's the only marathon I've ever run where you run past a real space rocket, at the Space Museum.

Don't be a slave to your mileage, a couple of miles makes no difference, put your feet up.  ;)
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @Cal - I'm lucky that we have Fantastic postpartum physio here so it helps to get back in shape 'safely'. We actually get money back from our insurance if we follow physio/ recovery programs. 

@shades. Thanks for the welcome back. How are you keeping? Yes, I was hoping to come over but due to lockdown, everything has been halted. I've not seen my parents since last October :( everyone is well here. Dogs are getting older so can't handle running above 16c so are getting more walks. 

@big G: I'm on 79.5km for the week and am so tempted to go out for that last 0.5km! Haha! Do you see a lot of people in distress on the coast? Being so inland, the most I get are lost dogs in the woods!  
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, a very broad generalisation but I think local people that use the sea regularly know what they’re doing to some extent, so I don’t usually see anyone in distress on the coast.  I see a group of regular swimmers there often, even early in the morning, but I got worried when I thought he was calling out to me today.  In the summer sometimes there are reports of holidaymakers getting into trouble as I don’t think they realise that even a mild offshore breeze can blow them out quite easily if they’re on a kayak/dinghy. 

This book was recommended to me recently. I haven’t finished it but I’m quite enjoying it so far. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I just checked my mileage over the last 10 weeks and it's 600.2.  Therefore I'm still on 60 mile a week average so no need to go out this evening.  Feet up it is :)  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - I'm well thanks.

That's a long time since you've seen your folks especially with the baby.

Glad the dogs are OK and needing less exercise now isn't such a bad thing.

You're doing some decent mileage too, you must be busy, children, dogs, running etc.

Sadly there are several fatalities every year down here, Devon and Cornwall.  And as Big G says usually not locals but day trippers or holiday makers.  

Big G - I've heard good reviews of that book too.

I've just invited another Hadd/Maffetone runner into this thread.
  • JellyJelly ✭✭✭
    Thank for welcome back, it's the 30 mile distance, this is why I want to do city to Sea still. There will be four of us doing City to Sea route so won't be alone on coastal path from Shaldon. Our families are doing aid stations and we won't be same day as original date as I'm sure others will be running it too. There is around 5 weeks between events so should work out ok. I won't be running all of ultra. I've got about another 9lb to lose. I'm busy at work because we are not allowed bank staff so I'm filling in gaps and holiday club is starting soon so plan has been good decision.  I was down for Cornish.   We are doing white star virtual 12 hour frolic in couple of weeks time. It's a treasure hunt so should be good fun. 
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    12 miles this afternoon up to Fulham then across to battersea and back. Lovely run along the Thames for most of it but slow due to it being blowy. Weird how I’m so used to this HR thing I really don’t care anymore when I’m being passed by almost every other runner 😀
    Interestingly probably only half the riverfront bars are open and they usually would be on Sunday eve in the summer. Assuming some are taking their time to reopen but suspect some won’t at all sadly. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Emmy-I am all signed up for Reykjavik also,so hoping to goes ahead.
    Very busy day in work so no run as expected,lots of ridiculous 5k times today with the wind,most knocking at least a minute off expected times.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Rcouture, I think most places are open here.  I haven't heard any of any trouble either really, which is a surprise.  I think something kicked off over in Brixham....but, well, it's Brixham (I can say this as I was born there...).  A couple of mates have been to different places and commented that it was quite relaxed as the table service made it a stress free experience.

Shades, when I was doing that Q&A session at the start of lockdown for the club some people were recommending books as part of that, and this one was mentioned by somebody.  I hadn't heard of it so bought it.  It's a good book although the focus isn't on the running so much as finding the dog.

Kind of an impromptu MAF test today and just decided when I got down to the front as conditions were good and I knew it was lower humidity than recently.  About 3-weeks after my last one so a bit early I suppose.  It was my quickest average pace (8:57) but there's still work to do as the pace does drop off quite dramatically - 08:42, 08:37, 09:00, 09:08, 09:16.  It's the quickest I've done but ultimately I'd love to see all those under 9s.

Anyway, 1-mile MAF test, the 5-mile test and then 4-miles afterwards means 10 for the morning so a good start to the week.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Jelly - unusual that Coastal Challenge hasn't managed to put a marathon distance in there, but I suppose it just didn't work out logistically   30 miles is a nice race distance and doing the C2S course as preparation is a good idea.   Anyway that will keep you motivated.

Rcouture - just shows how you're enjoying your running that you are happy to stick to your training and not bother about other runners around you.
    The media did say that some hospitality venues weren't planning to open yet and as you say there are others that will never reopen.   I know many pubs etc were busy on reopening but I think there are a lot of folk not yet comfortable to go out for a meal and/or a drink.

Ian - has OH managed to get time off to go to Reykjavik with you?   I would be very surprised if they cancel the event, Iceland seem to have managed the Coronavirus very well.   

Other countries aren't doing so well, I see Spain have gone back into lockdown in two regions.

7 miles today, fresh and very windy.    4 miles flat, 3 miles hilly, found it hard today, legs didn't seem to have much energy.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    xpost Big G - you must stop being so impatient and should wait the full month in between tests, you'd never make a successful potato farmer  ;)

But still a good result.   I don't understand why there's still a fair bit of cardiac drift, and why Maffetone expects it.   I see Gobi mentioned that too on the Fetch thread a few days ago
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I didn’t see that from Gobi. I’ll go back and have a look.

I’m confused too. I think I disagree with Maffetone on the fact it’s expected. Surely if someone is well trained the splits would be more even?  Yours are quite even aren’t they, as are Steve’s.

Is it possible I’m running too quickly?  I have thought about this but I don’t think it’s that. If I tried to keep the HR at say 137 on the flat my running style would be compromised and I worry that would cause other problems.  I do feel 142 is my number but willing to nudge it down if that may help but I’m not sure if it would. 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone, 
    @Rcouture: my parents have said similar about weybridge area.
    @shades: are you still doing low heart rate running/, training? Spain seem to be struggling for sure but are very strict when lockdown happens. 
    @ian5: great news! Are you just going for the weekend? We're hoping to go for the week to explore Iceland. I'm not looking forward to the test on arrival but needs must! 

A rest day for me but rest still means around 5miles of walking and 10miles cycling!

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, it was in a conversation that he or someone else mentioned about cardiac drift when discussing Maffetone. 

I don't think you're running too fast although you do have to try and nudge down from 142 when you can, but you are still in the early stages so that will come. 
    So 142 is 73% MHR for you.   Just calculated my MAF rate and that works out at 76% of my MHR What I'll do one day is do a 5 mile run at my MAF rate and see what cardiac drift I get.     I think that wind is due to drop so I'll try it this week, won't be on a pancake flat mile loop, just on a normal run, but I will choose a flat route.   I'm not actually running that well at the moment so will be a good test for me.

Emmy - yes , still doing Hadd and was going really well as last year I started going to the gym on a serious mission to reduce my fat %.   So with lockdown I've stalled on the gym work so looking forward to getting back to that.

That's not much of a rest day  :)