Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    CD.. what's the usual requirement for the top few V50's  - around 2:30?

Much better day here today, dry and lighter winds so 7.5m done.  Fixed a leaking tap earlier so a reasonably productive day.
  • Wardi - Most years there's one or two around 2:31 - 2:32 or so.  There's been one under 2:30 in the last 5 years.  But they tail off pretty quick - my 2:37 this year would have been between 2nd and 4th in the rankings in recent years, so up there but not a really top performance.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - diy guru !

CD - itd be ace if you ended the top of the rankings.

I had the p and d 5m LT run again this morning, and had a list of excuses as long as my arm in my mind in order to sack it off. But i forced myself into it and through it, came in at 30.54 compared to 30.40 of 2 weeks ago, today was a much breezier day too. So should have just shut up and got on with it.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Still a decent time for 5m TR, shame & unlucky with the breeze.  I didn't detect any wind at all up here today.
    BTW the tap valves were replaced under warranty, first time they sent the wrong ones!  By the time I had the right valves I think I could have taken the taps to bits blindfold. 😞

CD.. some tough competition in a normal year then!

Just over 7m again today.  This included pacing the Mrs through a time trial mile on the racecourse for our club's 'virtual' 1m race.  She was chuffed with 7.37, 10 secs quicker than last year.  Might have a go myself before the weekend.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Wardi - I will raise you the repair of a dying freezer. Wife poised to buy a new one but i totally defrosted, changed the fuse, gave it a magic tap and hello again frosty cold. Nice pacing and well done Mrs Wardi, that's a decent time. 
    CD - That 2.37 deserves and will get a high PO10 ranking. 
    TR - A tough session that, another fast one banked. 
    12m here. Racing (kind of) this weekend taking part in a virtual 5k race for my clubs 50-59 AG. Quite a few other local clubs are taking part. Not a distance I've ever raced.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi- good pacing skills. That'll earn you some browie points.

OO - nice one on the mlr. I dont reckon id go well in a virtual 5k race myself. I find training paces tough.

CD - you're 6th in the 10k too. Im 26th, therefore im quite happy if there's no more 10ks this year.
  • Some good quality DIYing going on out there. Our building work is 8 weeks from completion now so we've started to think about the inside now. Need to get the place cleared and start taking all the rooms back to brick. We made a start on this and naturally there's dust EVERYWHERE now. It's incredible how far it can travel.

TR - That's a good time. No need to beat yourself up it's a little slower than last time. That's consistency in my book!

Wardi - great stuff on the 1 mile time trial. A good idea from your club as well. 1 mile a very manageable distance for most.

CD - You can only beat what's in front of you. You did well to adjust when Tokyo was cancelled, you might have gone even quicker with the perfect buildup so I think a top spot would be well deserved. Congrats on your new role as Parkrun director too!

Ticking over here. My weekly 12km run yesterday which I mix up the pace on depending on how I'm feeling. I was feeling good so tried to run down towards 4 min/km. Ended up at 4:05 as an average but felt really drained at the end. So a good stretch of the legs as well as a decent reality check of where i'm at!
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    TR - nicely done getting that first 20 done and dusted. Straight at it with the faster second half too I noted. I think I'd struggle with that atm as first one usually hurts me and I haven't done one since mid Jan. Also, that tempo wasn't that much slower than the previous effort. You wont be quicker everytime but it's all adding into the mix as more work banked at that pace. 

Wardi - nice mile pacing. I'm hopeful Mrs SJ continues enjoying the treadmill as I have floated the idea of the great Mcr 10k next spring. It's a pricey run but a big event which might just convince her this running business is for her. Shes even been looking at a gadget available at discount via her bluelight card.

CD - I hope you are still enjoying that 2.37. Cracking run and well deserving of its ranking. 

OO - good luck in the local racing.

RJR - 12k at 4:05s average is a great workout especially as you said you worked down towards 4min/km. Keep doing that regularly and you should begin to feel comfortable at that pace.

Not much to report this end. Some running obviously but cant seem to get super motivated to train for London or any other races tbh. I think I'm hovering around 50 mpw. I have the general mix in there of some quicker efforts, a progression tempo run of sorts, some hilly medium to long runs, in terms of time not necessarily distance. I dunno though, a bit fed up I guess like everyone. Difficult to think of the bigger picture sometimes. Health are all that matters currently etc.

Anyway, I've procrastinated long enough. I've taken the day off today to get two doors hung that we have been renovating, taking them back to natural finish and fitting all new furniture. I even buught some chissels just for this task :) 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. I talked Mrs Wardi into running in 2001 when we had a holiday planned in Nepal (climbing Kala Pattar in the Everest region).  Very thin air at 18,500 ft so I thought she would enjoy it more with some running fitness.  She kept it going after that so a definite convert!  BTW yes I get odd days of feeling a bit melancholy at no races or Park Runs, just a matter of patience I guess.  
    OO.. another freezer story.. when we had our kitchen completely renewed 4 years ago we put the old fridge & freezer into the garage for overspill purposes.  The freezer didn't like being in the garage and despite working properly the cold temperature alarm kept sounding.  I took the circuit board out, de-soldered the beeper, re-fitted the board and it has worked fine ever since.
    Joe.. we recently had 9 windows replaced and that certainly produced a lot of dust!

Tried my 1m time trial yesterday but was thwarted by a huge farm vehicle which turned out of a field and blocked my way, no choice but to stop. This was at about 0.7m so very frustrating - it's usually pretty dead down that lane.  Might nip over to the racecourse tomorrow to try again, traffic free there.
    6.2m today, windy & a bit squally but good to get out.  No sign of any fair weather exercisers today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good diy skills on show then folks

SJ - sounds like you are getting a good mix in, if you are doing a bit of group training regularly that will be doing you good. You'll be in a good place if we get the go ahead at the end of july.

6m real easy today, saving my powder for tomorrows mp run.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Typical windy weekend weather TR, though tomorrow looks worse.  Good luck with the MP run.
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    TR - yes I reckon you're probably right. I cant bring myself to commit to a training cycle just yet though. Plenty of time once we know for sure if it's a go or no go for October. I have enough base to get back going I reckon. Hope the paced run has gone well this morning. 

Wardi - the famous Manchester drizzle here today but humid so not that unpleasant. In the hills tomorrow which will be damp and muddy no doubt judging by a week of constant rain. I'll have to be even more cautious with my footing. 

Just an easy 13k today with an old training partner. He's on the comeback trail so nice to meet up for first time in maybe 6+ years. Might get mini SJ out for 5k later on if he's up for it. 

Disappointed to see Kipsang get a ban. I always liked him. Seems he went out of his way to deceive the anti doping agencies. Dropping like flies these Kenyans. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - same amount of wind here tomorrow as today, i just got wet too today!

SJ - you're in a good place to be able to kick on......ive said it many times before but i believe in father christmas more than the athletes at the top of the sport. Kenyans have  lot of pressure to win something and make some money to improve a lot of lives in their villages.

Plan was for 7m easy, 10 or 11mp, and then a cd. Expecting anywhere between 6.30 and 6.50 depending  upon wind and elevation. 1st effort mile of 6.58 rang the alarm bells (in what should have been a quickish mile), i had no chance of speeding up by 30sec mile, so changed tack to an mp +10% (~7.09av) and managed to do ghe remainimg 13m av 7.08, but in reality it was 11 av 7.02 and a 7.33 and a 7.45 on the two most wind and hill affected miles. The mp run can keep for another day.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's still a long run at a decent pace TR, especially on a windy day.  Shame about the wetting!  Winds were around 13mph here today & the morning rain died off around 10am.

SJ.. always good to bump into old running chums, main reason I go the the Red Lion post London.  :p  I saw a few of my Park Run chums today for the first time in ages.

I headed over to the racecourse this morning to try a quick mile in the middle of a MLR.  This confirmed that when trying to run fast my affected leg goes a bit numb and I can't get the power on the push off.  Hence my usual 6:05 - 6:15 mile time ended up at 6:31.  Nothing I can do about it in the short term, just happy I can run for the time being.  With a w/u & w/d and a couple of extra laps & back to the car I clocked up 11.4m  which was adequate consolation.  Mrs Wardi has talked me into a takeaway curry later, I didn't take too much persuading. :)   

• SJ - nice to reconnect with people at the moment. Real positive to have some running buddies. Can help some of the weekly miles become multi purpose or somewhat free!

TR - good adjustment there. some days you just don't have it. Very respectable run all the same.

Wardi - mmm I had a nice plum and hoisin chicken but now I fancy a late night curry reading that. shame on the mile but a good run all the same especially if you pushed that mile pretty hard.

Was a little worried about today's session 3x3km rolling (12 mins, 11 mins, 12 mins) but managed it ok. This is a session that ramps up week on week so happy that the first one went ok. confident I've got another level to go to. 
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Another good run to be banked TR. 
    Nice sess Joe, speed ramping up?
    Wardi - Decent day overall then. 
    SJ - Not commuting to a plan is the right strategy for the moment and just enjoy your running and being outside. 

VIrtual Race report 5k / 17.53, 19 sec PB

Our club had entered 6 AG and gender teams and setup a messenger FB group to record times for their runs to be run anytime over the weekend. This started and continued to come alive and ping from Friday morning as runs logged and good lucks started. he teams came. My team involved Phil, who ran 20.00, Steve a 2.54 marathoner running 19.34 and Andy a 2.57 marathoner running 18.18. Decent. 

Saturday was my turn and I was surprisingly nervous with plenty of messages of good luck from club members and as you had the pressure of being part of a team. My local trail is flat so choose a section with a chance of tailwind. 

The aim was 18.15 or better, so 5.55 minute miling. A strange experience running solo and pretty flat out dodging walkers and cyclists yet knowing the run mattered. It went well a 5.40 mile followed by 2 x 5.50 miles, so 17.53. Might have been able to run a bit quicker in retrospect. Certainly out of my comfort zone and found it harder than a sub 3 marathon. But good to run my second only timed 5k and 1st Strava run - I got a segment! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - not quite 100% again then, but more progress. Nice one on the curry.

Joe - 3 x 3k is a decent session.

OO - thats a sharp 5k, i guess that the team mate pressure helps provide a bit of race edge. Good going.

6m easy here. This week is a p and d easier week, which im going to make sure is quite light, as it'll do me good. Ive been going well and put in dome good work recently.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    16 plod for me to make 55 for the week. Mojo still absent, but hoping that if I start to improve again from decent mileage it might come back.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice MLR Jools, in my case running some sort of time trial (e.g 5k) and realising you are 10-15secs a mile slower than pre-lockdown would stir me into action!  I have missed the regular Parkrun blast.

TR.. is Sunday your starting day for the week?  You have certainly earned a wind down for a few days. 

OO.. that's a cracking 5k solo run, a tailwind was a good idea!

Joe.. 3 x 3k is a good session to get through - nice work keeping the pace & concentration for circa 11-12 minutes.

Blowing a hoolie here with various objects in orbit.  Decided on a steady 5.2m on the treadie, hot in there but good heat training I guess.  51m for the week. 
  • OO - cracking effort that! I'm envious of that time. That would be my quickest time since 2008. Have to agree that it's harder than a sub 3 marathon. I think the speed is there but it's a case of being able to maintain it for longer.

TR - light on miles, speed or both?

Jools - If you can run that sort of mileage regularly then I'm sure you'll be right back on it when the prospect of some racing returns.

It has become very windy. Doesn't bode well for today's speedy session but i'll just go off feel if needs be.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    What's the float between 3K's Joe? I've done a 6x2K off 1K session the last 3 weeks which has definitely improved my speed endurance.
    I have a very similar leg/glute issue Wardi. Been doing a daily lunge routine for 3 weeks now & finally noticing some improvement.
    Very tidy 5K OO. How much time did the wind give IYO?
    19:26 for me on Saturday which is my quickest since Feb last year. Looped course so was running both with & into the wind. Similar conditions I imagine as I was just up the coast in Barnstaple. Pleased with that after the above session Tuesday (which with wu/cd was a HM in 1:31) followed by 3 monstrouosly hilly days totalling 35M & almost 6,000ft.

• It was a bit blowy at the weekend, wasn't it?  So obviously I went back to the airfield on Saturday for some more punishment.  We talked about doing 10 miles progressive (5 laps), but the guy we were pacing off got a bit carried away in the first mile so it ended up being a fast steady run with 6:20 or so for the downwind miles and 6:35 int the wind.  Which felt a lot harder than that!  10 inside 65 minutes is decent for getting back to some faster stuff.  

I got my own back on the lead guy by riding with him over to Windsor yesterday.  He hasn't cycled much this year so he was suffering on the way back.

Good to see some TT going on.  Definitely a sharp 5k OO, running it solo and all.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Joolska - 16 within 55 is decent base.

Wardi - i run long saturday, so end my week after that.

Joe - less miles on all runs, and theres no sessions in there either.

Blimey CD, windy for running round an airfield.

I saw that Paris has been put back to november,  it would certainly stop vlm being a warm day if the same happens here.

2000m mark reached today, no races means no tapering or recovery.
  • TR - fantastic mileage that. haven't even hit 700 yet myself but theres only been 5/6 weeks with any focus I guess.

Jools - no float, completely rolling so recorded a sub 39 min 10k in that run. Crikey, that's a lot of climbing. that's the fell race I do each year 3 days running. I know my legs couldn't take that.

CD - duathlon is a must when racing is back by the sounds of it!

6x(3 mins on, 1 min off) today. horrible. 900m on my first, 810m by the end. A real hack. I'd hoped to do it off road but it was too bumpy for any pacework. Having a session Saturday then monday is not much in the way of recovery...
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Sorry RJR no capisce: How is that 3x3K rather than 9K tempo then?
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Howdo all,

Nice 5k tt OO - I find them very tough - so much I am not doing them anymore!
    Decent 10m CD - I reckon you might be right up there at the end of the year.
    RJR - 3 x 3k is a hard session - 10k Pace Ish or a bit quicker?
    No surprise the miles are racking up TR

Ran  a decent training half a couple of sundays ago but felt I was overtraining a bit so took a nice week with no session and mileage in 40s. Going to take a 60 mile week with no serious speed this week and then get back at it next week but with no elongated 5k sessions or TT. 
  • Jooligan - Purely in terms of the timings. That session was a (12 min, 11 min, 12 min) but there's another one of these in a few weeks at (11:45, 10:30, 11:45). So 9k tempo with a little ramp up in the middle I guess.

Menn - Setting an example there for being sensible. Sounds like a good plan. Given there's no rest between the 3ks it's probably a little slower. That said, if I'm feeling good on the next one then I'd be one further quick km from getting a new 10k pb...

Looks like i'm being punished for not being an early bird today. I'll do well not to be soaked when I do finally take the plunge.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Jooligan.. thanks for the tip and sorry to hear you have been suffering similarly.  Lunges do sound like 'taking the knee' which does seem to be in current vogue.  :)   Nice solo 5k BTW. 
    Joe.. kudos for getting that session done, 2+ laps of a track equivalent at speed must take some concentration.  Hope you didn't get too wet today.
    CD.. that's a cracking pace for 10m on a windy day, close to my all time PB! 
    Menn.. do you have a future marathon planned if permission is granted?
    TR.. great mileage for early July!
    Showery first thing but as it was due to rain in earnest this afternoon I dragged myself out for 7.5m.  T-shirt, shorts & gilet were about right, intermittent showers and only 13 degrees up here this morning.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Thanks for clearing up my confusion RJR. Presume the Ks within a 3K block are run at the same pace ie 4:00/3:40/4:00 this time round & next set will be 3:55/3:30/3:55. What distance are you training for just now?
    Sensible Menn. Hope the easier fortnight renews your vigour.
    My 10M PB is similar to yours then Wardi
    More big hills this week 1900' yesterday & about 1000' this morning with another run this evening to come :)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I thought that was 3 x 3km  separately too.

Menn - very wise, good time to ease off. Im on an easy week too, a few harder runs smoked me a bit too.

Wardi - windy here again too today.

Jools - plenty more ascent there.