Sub 3h15

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SBD - 331 and 1943 for me........its defo worth getting on a build up now, even if vlm doesnt cone back it's looking like other races will come back autumn ish. Today is day 100 of lockdown so anyone who eased off too much has been spinning their wheels for a long time......theres a lot of is it "on or off" around esp on the vlm twitter as some folks want to know if they need to get training or not and its starting to annoy me. Anyone who is a semi serious runner will have been out there during lockdown as it was one thing that was allowed. I dont like the im only training if there's races vibe, DT would gladly swap places with any of those at the mo. anyone who is only prepared to train if vlm is guaranteed on, is in the wrong hobby.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Correct TR. Id have relished this period. A big block of unbroken training, no social plans to interfere with the programme, working from home, no kids activities to chase myself around in circles on. 

I'll just get going again as every bugger wants to start organising nights out snd weekends away and the like. 

15 mins easy this morning, all good still. 45m aerobic session on turbo this pm. 17 min run tomorrow gor first go at back to backs . Having a day of the bike as I've got a couple of sores forming in delicate places. 

Chiropractor again Friday then travelling  to see my back consultant Saturday for a physical assessment. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well I eased off in lock down. Having racing stopped affected my mojo.  I'm cautious about starting full training when I don't have access to sports massage to keep me ticking over and it does seem a bit pointless doing very marathon specific training if I might not be racing a marathon. I'm sorry that doesn't make me a proper runner. I'll try not to allow my different mindset to annoy others who think differently.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - yes, as you say, must be a definite decision from London on 28th.
    SBD - humungous miles; at this rate you won't be far off 4,000 for the year!
    TR - still good to have a target date in mind to plan when to peak. No reason not to train seriously though :)
    DT - hope all goes well with chiropractor and consultant.
    Jools - yes, but I'm sure that you haven't been moaning about it on twitter though :) How is the strength and conditioning going?
    5 mile recovery run today.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i see Hamburg has backed off their somewhat brazen 'we are on' announcement. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Jools - the problem with social media, is folks think everything is aimed at them, you eased off, not stopped. I eased off a bit too. I said semi serious runners will have been out there, you have been, so have I. Im targetting all the folks that kicked off at the vlm announcement that want the race declared on or off now (go read the twitter or FB), they only want to start training again (they stopped) if its going to be on, seen similar re Brighton etc........i dont like that, theres plenty of folks who would like those vlm places........there is still time for marathon specific work if we get the go ahead on 28th july.....none meant, but wasnt ever aimed at you anyway, you were incuded in the semi serious still out there.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    That's an impressive six months of training TR - you've been doing a lot more quality than me during lockdown.   You'll be due a big return if we ever get to race.

It would be interesting to know how many of the London Champs qualifiers are in full training mode.

Even though I would only give London a 10% chance of going ahead, I don't want to waste an opportunity to run a fast time by easing off on the training.  If London cancels, I'll hopefully be able to find some shorter distance races to provide a new focus.  

Good recovery miles Gul.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I get what you mean, TR. I used to be one of them folk, an event only runner. However, it's now a way of life. I had a rest day today after 4 consecutive run days and a rough night of not feeling well. I only ran yesterday morning but it feels like a week. Want to get out again but body needs a little break.

I've noticed many on the channels claiming actual PBs recently with no racing. Brilliant that they've beaten old barriers but surely it's a training PB? I'm in no PB shape for any distance right now but if I did, it would be a tPB as, just like the real athletes on TV, you can only score a real PB in a race, right? But then maybe for proper long distances like Gul's marathon, that would count?
    Oh I don't know, I debating with myself and seeing both sides...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Looks like i broke yr thread, sorry folks. Like i said all the folks that wanted vlm confirmed on or off instead of the recent update were pressing my buttons, as they were only going to get their trainers out again if its on.

SBD - agreed if there's no maras then ill aim for a 1/2 or 2 as id like to go sub 80 again before i get too old. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    17 mins this morning, still no issue.

Just had an e mail off lufthansa telling me they cant honour my original flights and offering me new flights  on the same dates but silly times. Or i can just decline the new itinery and i have until 31st January 2021 to inform them of my new flight requirements. That'll do me as i plan to run it in 2021. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    DT with your legal skills you'll know better than me but if they can't offer reasonable times on the dates you booked, you may be entitled to a refund. For me this is always the best option.

I've definitely cut back during lockdown especially after my injury. If they announce VLM will go ahead I'd probably up the training, but I honest don't care that much. I'd happily write this off as a non race year. I know that I would not deliver a good performance and that may be a factor.
    Still ticking over nicely. Up to 30 this week and feeling in decent shape.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    strictly speaking, yes my flights have been cancelled as the new itinerary gas different flight numbers. So I'm entitled to a refund.

However it suits me for them to hold the cash as it saves me spending it and starting from scratch. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Don't forget to charge them interest DT.  Good to see the 17 minute run went OK.

Ticking over nicely OO.

Sub 1:20 is a good target TR.   I'd love to nail a sub 60 10 miles but I think the chances of that are pretty slim!

Struggling with the motivation today but then remembered I had a 230 day streak to extend.  So 15 steady miles early evening.   A bit sluggish apart from a couple of miles when I had a runner trying to overtake me and I found some extra pace to hold him off!  
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - hope you're feeling better.
    DT - sounds like a nightmare with the flights, but maybe all okay in the end hopefully.
    SBD - nice to have a race, even if it's not official.
    10 easy miles this morning.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Travel plans and injury comeback management all aligning nicely there, DT.
    I don't know how you keep going SBD. Solid!
    Nice easy 10 ticked off there, Gul. I was saying to mates on a run last week that it's nice to be able (at our age) to just go out and knock out 10 miles or more just for fun or ticking over. Easy to forget that being casual about such things is testament to hard work carried out over a long period of time.

Felt sluggish again this morning but perked up by lunchtime, so bagged 8 trail miles. Felt quite bouncy early on, then the heavens opened and I loved it. It was the right sort of rain, if you know what I mean?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Just remarkable SBD.
    Good rain GD 🤣
    Building nicely Gul....
    Double day here 8+7.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - at our age?! :) I think I know what you mean about the rain; can be very refreshing when it's been hot and humid. Good trail running.
    OO - for a moment, I thought you were posting some haiku, but wrong number of lines and syllables. So nothing like haiku at all :)  Well done on the double.
    5 easy miles this morning.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    First MLR for a while today. 11 easy miles.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    3 in a row. Is everyone still down the pub or having a haircut?! 4 mile recovery run this morning to make 50 for the week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    haha, clearly all out drinking! Good consistency, posting and running. 

I went around the local club yesterday about 4pm for a pint and left there at 11.30. It's quite a safe environment as members only and a big space, text ordering service so you just stay in your seat, a table per person, one way in and out system etc and a not many people in there. 

prior to that i had a consultation with yhe back consultant. Identified a few issues in my back that will have caused issue. Need another mri end of july yo check it is repaired before he says it's safe to up the running. Untill then he has said to stay at 40m/5 mile max runs. 

He said that the issues in my back mean that my running efficiency is very poor and if i get this right it'll improve that hugely. 

I ve done back to back 20m runs Friday and yestrday and all good. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    DT - good news then. 5m a day is probably ample for a while anyway. Gives you a while to build some frequency. Once you get the all clear to crack on, you can draw a plan up with yr coach. Maybe an end of yr 1/2 or even a mara?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's also sufficient to get a reasonable tempo of sorts in with a 1m wu and cd.

Revert to fullish training in September and target an end of year race might work well. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A plodtastic 16 to bring up 55 for the week. P&D base mileage!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    This all sounds as good DT.
    But Jools can you match my plodtastic 9:30 pace today. I was just crap...
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    8.29s. Okay, I was zooming along!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I had a haircut!! First since Feb. Liberating!

Got that done after yesterday’s 17 miler on the trails. It was proper humid from the start. Not sure if it drained me but I was quite rubbish most of the way. Still, miles in the bank and after today’s 5 recovery miles chalks about a 45 mile week for the third week in a row.

Off work next week and have a couple of days away down the coast. Coincides nicely with a cutback week. Looking forward to coastal walks and local pubs.

Worked out today that the past 5 weeks have totalled more than my entire New York campaign. Ouch! No wonder it hurt!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good work on the 17 miler G-D and the campaign mileage to date.

No haircut here yet - tempted to let it grow longer and go for the pony tail!

A speedy 16 there Jools.

That's good plodding OO - you needed someone to overtake you.

Don't you need to get something 'treated' before you get the efficiency gains DT?

Good MLR and mileage for the week Gul.

A bit windy here but 20 miles on the schedule, so 20 completed early evening.  Not as bad as I feared, so average 7:52 m/m pace although I was feeling a bit drained at the end.  Brings up another 81 mile week with a cut-back week to look forward to.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sbd, yes i need physio yo unlock my thoracic spine which is completely locked up,  as well as some other instabilities. 

Nice 20 and solid week. 

Im desperate to just go out and run for an hour just purely for the pleasure of it. Going to start getting harder to hold my resolve .

45 min easy on turbo earlier. The one downside with all this cycling is that my already too big quads now look more at home on a velodrome or football field. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - good news; sounds like in you're in capable hands.
    Jools - good plodding. That's somewhere around my average pace at the moment.
    OO - even better plodding :)
    GD - starting to build up some nice consistency. Enjoy the holiday.
    SBD - good work. Have you now started a P&D schedule?
    11 easy miles this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good going  GD, remind me why you are working so hard?
    SBD another cracking week. I did 10 this morning at similar pace to your 20 and that was very tough. You must be in great shape.
    DT that sounds like a painful process 😳
    Starting to crank it up again Gul 😉