Maximum cushioned shoes?

Mangled myself doing an over-optimitic training block when Corona hit. Recovering from nasty achilles and peroneal tendonitis.  
Haven't run in two months and have a long way to go still.  

After some maximum cushioned shoes for gentle plodding.  Previously preferred lighter, responsive ones.

Narrowed it to three.

Nike epic react infinity run.
Hoka Bondi 6
Saucony Triumph 17

Theyre all pricey, so wanted to try and get the right ones. Any input greatly received. Thanks.

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Not wanting to make your life more difficult but I heard that the NB Fresh Foam More are good. lots of cushioning but not heavy.  Are on my wish list but they seem to hold their price well.

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/2019/06/new-balance-fresh-foam-more-review/

As you've had achilles problems I think you should consider what drop the shoes are as that can affect the achilles.   Think the NB are 4mm, probably the Hoka's are roughly the same.   

I think the Triumph will have a higher drop but I believe a heavier shoe.   Don't know about the Nikes
  • I've heard high drop shoes place less stress on peroneal so may switch to a 8-10mm drop shoe. Always run in 4mm fairly minimalist  ones.

The nike and sauconys are both 8mm. So maybe the way to go for me.
    Got to remain positive.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree higher drop would be better.   2 months is a long time to be injured, hope the recovery goes well.
  • I've just ordered some Asics Novablast purely on the basis of the reviews saying that they are ridiculously well cushioned.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    dmliddle - I hadn't heard of the Novablast so looked them up.   They look really good, let us know how you get on with them.
  • Update on the Asics Novablast. I can confirm they are really well cushioned, really noticeable. I had my size 8's delivered last week and took them for a try, absolutely loved them for cushioning and bounce, I'd previously used a GT2000 support shoe, but to be honest nothing recently about my run style and any pain/injuries/niggles suggest that I needed a support shoe (I'd only prev done a wet foot test, which I believe is only a guideline). I'd always been cautious about using a neutral shoe for fear of the lack of support, and the novablast is an extreme in terms of lack of support, but early runs have been a revelation. Did a half marathon training run in them on Friday and had virtually zero aches and pains the next morning. Only advice is if you are not a fan of roomy shoes and you prefer a snug fit then I'd go down half a size, sizing is generous and the upper is quite big in the toebox. Thats what I did and I think its the right move
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    dmliddle - those shoes sound lovely, have added them to my wish list.   That's useful info on the sizing too, funny how a different model but by the same brand can differ in fitting.  I've got a pair of GT1000, which are the same as the GT2000, and they are a fairly snug fit, wouldn't want to use them on a very hot day for a long distance, so for the Novablast I would probably stick to my usual size.

I run in a variety of shoes, some for mild overpronation and some neutral but just recently I've been so impressed with some of the neutral shoes that I'm thinking of racing in them too.....when we can race again, that is.

I do hope that you can now continue to run injury free.
  • BenHBenH ✭✭
    Hey, this new brand Hylo is launching the world’s most sustainable running shoe. It looks epic and is supposed to be really well cushioned. They’re doing a pre-launch campaign where you can earn discounts - i think they're on Instagram as @hyloathletics https://hyloathletics.com/?ref=aJ5abJ
  • Sorry, late to the party. 

I recently purchased a pair of Saucony Triumph iso 5's for £68 new - fantastic cushioning for a 16 stone heavyweight that i am. 

I was wary they are a neutral shoe, but couldn't resist at the price. I had a gait test done a while a go, 2 actually and both told me i over-pronate slightly and thus i started wearing Brooks Adrenaline. 
    I also have a pair of Brooks Transcend thinking they can give me more cushioning and give me support as well. 

But running in the Saucony Triumphs, not only do i feel more cushioning, i also have less 'niggly pain' in my knee and lower leg. So much that my Go To Shoe (yes i get irony) are the Triumph's. 

I'm seriously contemplating on getting another pair for that price, keeping my brooks for parkruns and shorter distances. 
  • P WP W ✭✭
    Hi,
    It's time for some new footwear, can anyone help with sportshoes.com discount code?
  • In May 2020 I bought some Hoka, having seen the reviews on Runners World. What a mistake!! After 2 months there are already holes on the inside of the heels and having complained and sent in pics, I was told no refund as it was down to wear and tear - after 2 months!! I work for a pretty well known Consumer Association and this is the shoddiest product I’ve come across in my 5 years there. Please avoid. Will definitely try ASICS 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mjtsmm - I've been using Hoka shoes for a few years and all of mine have lasted really well, I can easily get 800+ miles out of a pair and they still look as good as new.   So for me they last longer than other brands of running shoes.
  • Forgot this post.

In the end I have: Nike react infinity run for plodding.  Saucony Freedom iso 2 for slightly quicker plodding ( had several pairs previously, great shoe) Saucony Kinvara 10 for races.

Slowly getting better, but it took 4 months, 4 months!! 
  • I've found my Brooks Addiction 14s (and 13s before that) good. Resolved shin splints and a few other niggly injuries. Very supportive, cushioned, etc.

Heavy shoes mind. Both my current pairs are almost worn out so I'm after something new but not sure what. Don't really fancy visiting the local running shop for fitting/suggestions/testing at the moment but really would like to find something just a bit lighter...
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    This shoe review website is good for suggesting alternatives. 
    https://runrepeat.com/

Put in your current model and page down and it will show some similar shoes by type, you can check the weights of those in their reviews.