Sub 3

Comments

• Jools - Focus is on 5k atm. Trying to get a PB. I did try to run each km at the same pace but off the track it's almost impossible. 

Wardi- running gilet? we're not talking Chelsea style here?

Couldn't have timed my run better still got fairly wet. 
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    RJR I thought that was what I'd read a while back - seems like a mightily long session for a 5K program is all. I guess 5K is meant to feel like a treat by the end of this. What's the current PB?

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Jooligan.. just trawled through my old parchments and best 10m times in the 2000's were..
    2002.. 64.57
    2003.. 65.52
    2004.. 64:27 PB
    2007.. 64.59
    2008.. 64.32 age 50
    2009.. 65.27

Consistent consistency if nothing else!

Joe.. style?  Me?  I spend most of my days in jeans & race t-shirts so I have a very cheap wardrobe.  The smoking jacket only comes out if I'm pacing one of the club girls in a race.  :)
  • Jools - I guess so. I'm not questioning the plan too much. It's feeling quite tough but I've got to find a minute over 10 weeks to beat the PB of 17:20. My 10k PB is 37:36 which I'm more confident of beating.

Wardi - That's very consistent. Nothing like a "free" race top. I prefer if it's actually wearable for running. The T-shirt I got for the reading half last year went straight in the bin / use as a rag.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    That middle 3K will almost be race pace next time round then RJR. What's the pace on the 3rd of those sessions?
    Great consistency Wardi. I've done a few 10M races but only 2 really flat courses. Pretty sure my PB is 64:42 aged 48 at Chippenham. I was a bit disappointed tbh as I'd gone through 10M in 64:22 during Wokey HM a couple of months earlier. 
    Another 2,000ft in just 8M today during my (extended) lunch break: 4.5 reps of the local hill.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Jooligan - the tailwind was worth around 5 seconds I reckon. It's the virtual 5k national champs this weekend, free entry, so might have another blast. Anyone else giving it a go.? Good looking hilly run.
    Joe- beating 17.20 would be epic, the 10k doable.
    Wardi - those 10m times are impressively consistent.
    TR - 2000 miles, wow. Super consistency. Nice one.
    CD - Tough looking 10 miles.
    4m & 10m double today wondering if London marathon takes place. If not, the Madrid marathon in mid November has appeal as my other alternative Cornwall marathon has been surprisingly pulled. 
  • saintjasonsaintjason ✭✭✭
    TR - I've not hit 2000km yet :) in fact just checked and its sitting at 1600km so a smidge under half your total. Yikes. 

Wardi - consistent indeed over the once popular 10 mile distance. Sale used to put on the very fast and flat Sale 10 which I managed to go round in 59 minutes once. It was pancake flat though and I was racing a club colleague so we dragged each other round. 

Steady here. Nothing fancy. A very wet hilly run last night. I'm getting worse not better at descending. I'm being royally shown up by some decent fell runners in our group who are prepping for a BGR attempt. Knee sore today so I must be doing it wrong haha. 

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice double OO, yes a bit of a nuisance when we don't know if/when races will take place.  I saw a FB feed on the Valencia marathon.. the organisers are still quite positive but most of the locals don't think it will happen.
    Joe.. I'd say the majority of race t-shirts I get nowadays are the wicking type so get some use.  I still have a London Marathon shirt from 2002 which was the old cotton style.
    Jooligan.. I presume there must be plenty of hills in your neck of the woods - nice ascending!  Oh & my best half-maras were 84:56 & 85:39.  Mid 2000's again.
    SJ.. all my times were done at the Snake Lane10 (Pocklington).  Could be windy (Feb) and a couple of modest elevations from 7-9 miles.  Keep up the downhill training - it's the only way!  :)
    7m yesterday & 6.3m in the drizzle today, still improving slowly.  More discomfort sitting in the car than when running now.  New tyres fitted on both mine & Mrs Wardi's bikes since yesterday.  I'm sure I smell of rubber!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - more restrictions lifting so vlm has a chance, could be delayed like vlm?

SJ - shame Lordshill dont do their 10m anymore, as i got under 60 there a couple of times. No solent 1/2 this year either.

Wardi - more good use of the man skills.

8m inc strides yday, 12m today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Haircut this morning which probably accounts for the 10 secs per mile improvement over my usual 'as you feel' pace. :)   Leg felt ok too.  Got back about 30 minutes before the forecast heavy showers started - sunny, warm, and sunglasses required when I was out.  Kept it to 5.2m today as a double digit effort is planned in the sun tomorrow. 
  • Jools - only 2 of those sessions. Just realised the plan is an 8 week plan rather than 10 weeks. Just shows how much I've been focusing on 1 day at a time. Sounds like you and Wardi have got a good distance for PBing there.

Anyone else feeling more positive about events? The country seems to be opening up at quite a quick rate at the moment. I've got no races left in the calendar but a small, off-road race towards the end of the year has appeal at the moment if it could go ahead.

Wardi - A certain number of wicking tops are useful but you wouldn't want one in every race I guess, especially as you're paying for them. Nice couple of runs.

Ticking over days for me. Glad to get through the rain. Weather looks fair for the next week.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Looks like discussion is about to tske place, so there is some hope of smaller races coming back soonish, depends on the measures required i guess.

https://www.runbritain.com/covid-19-uk-road-race-guidance

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Less optimistic. Mids road relays in sept already cancelled...
  • Royal Parks in London have said no small events in their parks for the rest of 2020, which might scupper any return of parkrun given that the biggest one is in Bushy Park.

Back at the airfield this morning on a much less windy day.  A few laps at 7:00 or so, then an easy lap with the club guys and then 11 miles tempo, settling into 6:25s for the final 10 miles of the run.  21 in all, the first long run for ages.  Better than expected! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    How many runners at that event jools ? Guess theres a lot of runners waiting for their leg, so quite a lot of runners ?

CD - parkrun will be difficult to get back as folks just show up on the day. And would be difficult to police if it gets changed to booking a place. Nice one on the tempo, i was doing similar......

After a P and D easy week i decided to try for the missing 10mp run from last saturday, and ended up doing hm at around mp. 18m in total. Target was av  6.40s knowing id be quicker on the flatter miles and lose time in the undulating first and last few miles, came in at 1.27.15 (av 6.40). 
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Hi Wardi - got nowt booked in at any distance, just waiting to see what develops.

Im pessimistic about anything until October at the earliest but really think it will be later than that.

Think my prolapsed disc is a little niggled - not enough to stop me but definitely canning anything pacey for another week. Being optimistic its probably the best time there can be to convalesce a little
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Cracking long runs CD & TR, pity there's no races to get stuck into while you're both in decent nick.
    Joe.. the latest race trinket instead of t-shirts seems to be reusable water bottles.  Problem is I've already got about 6 of them!
    Menn.. sensible to keep a lid on it, that's been my mantra dealing with this nerve niggle.

11.2m this morning, quite cool/fresh around that time.  That's the furthest I've run since March and about 15 secs per mile quicker than my 10 miler 3 weeks back so promising signs.  Leg numbed slightly towards the end but so much better than 4-5 weeks ago.  Should be fighting fit by Xmas at this rate.  :)
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Maybe 1000 - 2000 including spectators? Women's race is 4 stages and the men's 6 stages so even if there are 100 teams in each gender that's only 1000.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Jools - maybe they think that's too many in one place then. Will be interesting to read what this weeks announcements say re numbers.

Menn - hope the back settles.

Wardi - you're starting to see some progress now, nice.

6 easy miles for me today, to let ydays effort soak in.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I see the Athens marathon is on if anyone fancies a flight over there!

25m bike ride today with the Mrs as the weather was lovely and give my running legs a rest.  Good opportunity to test out the new tyres too.  Pleasantly surprised how much smoother a 25mm width tyre feels to our old 23mm tyres.  
  • I guess my optimism might be poorly placed. 

CD - solid run that. was that up at kenley? Seems to be a lot of people running up there atm. must be quite the training crew.

Wardi - I've got some good water bottles from cycling holidays but nothing from running races yet. Feeling left out!

10x(400 on, 400 off) yesterday. The 400s were at around race pace so a worry at this stage to find it quite tough go. But I did it I guess. Easier run today. 4 weeks down, 4 to go.
    I noticed an article in the Telegraph the other day saying London unlikely to return until October 2021. I can't read the full article as its behind a paywall. They infer they have new exclusive information so maybe something leaked out. 

Now thinking of turning my attention to something else in the interim. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - in with you on the feel of wider tyres.

SJ - it said somwthing like, vlm might stay as an October race, and if this years gets deferred they might do it on the saturday next oct and the 2021 race the day after, so they can offer a race to all. I wouldn't mind it staying as an Oct race.

15m today.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    CD\TR - some good fast long runs there.
    VLM 2020, hope we get our green light for Sept in late July. 
    Wardi - very promising indeed, good news.
    Menn - ouch.
    Aching knee so just 40 miles last week. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Hope it's not long term OO, does it come & go?
    TR.. very nice early week MLR.
    Joe.. the water bottle we got at the York Brass half was rather nice, I'll see if I can find a pic!

I think London Marathon are tossing ideas up in the air ATM.  Racing over 2 days would be good if they can get the relevant permissions.

5.3m today, will try and up the miles a bit this week as the leg is less troublesome.
  • Wardi - I guess these bottles tick some green boxes as long as people do actually reuse them. Good luck this week. Hope the leg plays ball.

Interesting on the London marathon. Not sure how easy it's going to be to get the buy in of the relevant authorities for that one but if they could get 2 events from one big setup then I can see some real positives.

Enforced day off running yesterday due to the thrills of oven shopping and various other life admin. 6x800m today at around 2:45 per rep and 1:30 rest. I think that sort of rest maybe a little much to really see where I'm at but have to say I'm pleased with how that session went.
    edited July 2020
    RJR - Maybe the rest is excessive for gauging a race prediction but in terms of training, the reps are the important bit. So long as they felt good and you could have done a couple more at the end, job done I say. 

OO - hope that knee is settling down. 

TR - metronomic consistency and dedication. Can't fault you mate. 

Manchester gone now which was expected. Quite a small team behind that one and I know some are fearful for their futures as its a huge hole to fill with this years' edition not happening. 

Rest day for me too yesterday. Work unfortunately kicking my arse again and long hours at my desk taking their toll. Sounds like a poor excuse now that I have typed that out but.. Gah... struggling a bit. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    SJ.. with Chicago gone too it's only a matter of time for VLM I reckon.  Hamburg were fairly bullish a month ago but the authorities have cast some doubt on it now.  Athens marathon are planing on splitting the marathon into two halves one hour apart so we will see if that gets the go ahead.  Boston Lincs still on as we speak.  BTW sorry to  hear about the heavy workload, ATM workers seem to have either no work or too much! 
    Joe.. nice session, next time you can always cut the rest down a bit or increase to, say, 1k intervals but keep the recovery to 1:30.

Just over 7m this morning.  A bit grey & drizzly here but a nice temperature for running.  It did confirm my pace is gradually coming back without any extra effort so more promising signs. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    SJ - manch is a 20,000 runners race ?

Not surprised re Chicago due to the infection rates in US.

Ive heard rumour of an elites race for vlm (possibly on a different closed loop course), depends if elite includes sub3 50 year olds.

There are runbritain and english athletics announcements due this week, things will be clearer after that.

8 yday, 13 today.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Liverpool and the Great Welsh marathons also off today, and yes sadly looks like VLM for us on here for 2020 is likely to be a no go - hope I am wrong. Good looking sess Joe. My left knee is a long term niggle, need really to do some strengthening and conditioning on it. Strangely enough can blank out the pain when training with a race in view/ hand. Similar to you TR, 8m yday and 11m today including a 4m blast in just over 25 mins which felt good. Celebrated ydays run by going to the pub for the second time in a week!!