Sub 3h15

Comments

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    SBD nice to get a 20 and another huge week well done.
    TR you are in a different league to most of us ,cracking stats .
    Jools very decent week there just whats needed now
    Dt hopefully the next mri will give some answers and in the meantime enjoy the beers !
    Gdawg nice long run on the trails and a good week.
    0054 I wish I was only as crap as you lol 
    GUl nice 11 to start the week.

I didn't have a haircut (no hair) last had one was 2006 lol and I wasn't drinking any beer either unfortunately I wasn't running much either. A mere 8m 2 weeks ago and only 11m last week but started this week wth a 5m today but now starting 4 nights so not much good for running.
    Taking it easy for the meantime and busy doing other stuff so just intending to tickover for now see how I go, club has even started back but can't be bothered with it and the social distancing for now !

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - nice 10 to start the week.
    Leslie - good to hear from you. Keep ticking over; things will pick up eventually.
    5 easy miles today.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good easy miles Gul.  I've roughly followed P&D for the last five weeks but missing out the tempo and MP sessions.  Will try and get some tempo sessions in after the recovery week.

Just keep getting the sessions in Leslie - the enthusiasm will come back.

A good 10 miles OO.  I'm not feeling very fit at the moment but I haven't done any tempo pace work since Bath in March.  Will be interesting to see how tempo pace feels next week.

Just got to resist the urge to run those hour sessions for a little longer DT - just think about the eventual efficiency gains!

A steady 10 miles for me early evening on the country roads.  Moderate rain for the second half which was actually quite nice! 

On my fourth pair of trainers since lock-down started - I'm finding I can't get more than 350 miles a pair on the roads before the legs start to complain.  Not good for the bank balance.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SBD - i used to be a one pair of shoes man. you need to get a few different shoes and rotate them through the week, ive started doing this. I have a pair that recently went ticked up 550ish that were my mlr and long run shoe, they will do for easy runs. Ive cracked a new pair for future long and mlr (Saucony rides can get em for £50ish, wore a pair at Abo and gosport), i also have some nimbus and pegasus i use for general runs. I expect to get 700 or 800 miles out of a pair.......but wont get sucked into trying to get 1000m out of a pair, ive been there.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    +1 for rotating shoes. 4 pairs on the go at the moment on around 10xx, 10xx, 6xx and 6xx. But then I am super thrifty, shall we say:) 
    10 slow miles this morning.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good point TR.  I was running 3/4 days a week on the treadmill before the gym closed so was rotating between two pairs but since the gym closed it's been 7 days per week on the concrete using just the one pair.  Good conditioning for the legs but not good on the shoe wear.  Will try some rotation once I can get some more shoes at a reasonable cost (Asics GT 2000 for me which I used at Abingdon).

Good mileage Gul.  And excellent thrift on the shoes - you don't feel you're due a new pair yet?

12.5 miles early evening in the rain. Slightly progressive for the initial 15K, so 5k splits of 25:59, 24:19 and 23:54. Approaching the 18K point, having avoided anything much faster than 7 m/m for the last 15 weeks, I felt the need to test the pace at tempo effort.  I had feared something close to 4:20 m/km but the kilometer splits came out at 3:49 and 3:52.  Quite pleased with those, especially as the post run weigh in came out as 76 Kg, so 6kg above race weight.

Need to try a longer tempo effort next week.  I was doing 10K each week before lockdown but I think I might struggle with anything beyond 6K at the moment.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SBD - do some research and find out whats a similar shoe to that but in a different brand. Get a couple of other brands, eg a heavier mileage muncher, a pair of your 2000s for your key runs and a 3rd shoe. Rotate them round. As time goes on you'll work out which shoes you like, i buy older versions for around £50 and squirrel them away.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - nice tempo tester. Yes, I should definitely be looking at retiring some if not all of those shoes now. I do also have a pair of trail shoes and a new-ish pair reserved for racing (obviously not been getting much use out of them!)
    5 easy miles this morning in miserable drizzle.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm in the Gul school of shoe management 😉 I've just retired my 1st pair of zoom fly flyknit. They cost £98 and I've had around 1000 miles from them. Hard to say for sure as I do rotate randomly. They have been extremely durable but showing their age now. I'm on my second pair with 2 more pairs in the box.
    Planning a double day today.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Hi guys,hope you don't mind me popping back in for some advice.I got 3:07 last year at Frankfurt and with all this I've been aiming for sub 3.
    Last year I averaged 43 miles in the build up and its looking like 60 now,average pace has dropped from about 8.15 p/m to around 7.50-8 for about the same effort so all seems decent there.Did a HM at MP,came out at 1:29 4 weeks ago and it felt well in control,lots of 18+ runs,what I'm after is sharpening advice,hoping to do Reykjavik in 7 weeks so what sessions should I do to give me the most bang for my buck,until the last few weeks I've only ever really done easy runs,and is there any runs when you know you can do it that makes you think I've got it now?
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Ian - what you have been doing in terms of tempo sessions and have you been doing any speedwork, eg intervals or strides?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-Erm... very little,in the last 3 weeks I have done a 5k solo trial for virtual club races and got 17:59 and 18:29,other than that just a few MP runs.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Have you got access to a copy of P&D?  You could look at the last 7 weeks of their schedules.

I would suggest some or all of the following:

1) Long runs and Medium long runs with the last five miles at MP effort (hopefully getting close to planned MP)
    2) 10K race efforts, eg at 2, 4, and 6 weeks out 
    3) A good taper

Given your natural speed, there's probably no need to do any VO2max interval sessions but some stride sessions could be useful. 

How's the course profile?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Sbd-Forgot to add I did a club session on monday,mile easy,mile @10k pace x4,slowed a bit as I went out too fast but average came out at 5.55 pace,still too fast though,also lost about 7lbs since Frankfurt.
    Course looks quite flat,some say the 2nd half is a bit hilly but it only looks like 1 decent hill about 15 mile in,main issue could be if its windy as a lot is along the coast.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    This all sounds fab Ian, I think you've got this...
    As said go easy and have a nice taper.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ian, I would say more of the 10m tempo I saw on strava the other day. At peak I tend to do a 10m tempo at a bit faster than mp each week and with a 2m wu and 1m cd you are getting some decent distance in.

Then a midweek long run of about 12m and a mix of proper long runs some at easy and some mixed pace. I like to do a couple of time on feet equivalent runs so 22m at 8.10mm comes in at about 2.59. I'll also do some long runs as mixed so 5m easy- 5m at 7mm, 1m easy, 4m at 6.50- 1m easy- 3m at 6.40- 1m cd. It makes a 20m pass by very quickly.

Everything else I then keep at recovery. You are faster than me over 5 and 10k so you have the speed and the weight loss will help more. I think you just need to concentrate on the bigger endurance stuff.

Runs the last 2 days of 25m and 27m. A few aches in sacrum but nothing major. Just a bike session today and then 28m tomorrow followed by 30 on sunday, which'll be a big marker to get to.

Yesterdays run suddenly felt really fit, same pace i 'd have done similar pre injury and only 3 or 4 bpm higher. Hoping that the many bike sessions will be kicking in now.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Ian - good to hear from you. Sounds like you've got some good advice and looking good for sub 3.
    DT - very promising.
    10 slow miles this morning. Forgot to post :)
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Gul - It's OK to admit you didn't go running until 11am!

Good progress DT.

7.5 recovery miles last night in the rain for the third day in row.  Will get out for 10 miles early evening, hopefully without getting wet.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Thanks for the advice,a big thing I hadn't really thought about is the taper,my previous 3 month peak was about 525 miles,the last 3 I've managed 770 so will need to recover well.
    I will defintiely try and add more faster finish runs in as I never do these,
    SBD-When you say 10k race efforts,do you mean try and race a 10k as fast as I can?
    I will try and post more,I don't bother usually as I generally run all easy so seems a bit repetitive posting 10 easy,6 easy 12 easy.....
    10 @ MP with a mile or so either side,gave 12 miles after work last night,felt comfortable as it should with 16 to go.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - hope you managed to avoid the rain.
    Ian - nice MP run. Keep posting. Mine are pretty repetitive!
    14 mile MLR this morning. A little bit closer to P&D style; 7 easy miles out and 7 steady back (haven't checked the pace yet).
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    9 miles last night,felt good,wasn't too sure how the legs would be after the MP the previous night but all good.
    Got a few things coming up on weekends the next few weeks so I'm switching my long runs to midweek,think it means I will do 1 less but I've done a lot already so should be ok.Should still pass 70 again this week though.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    decent mileage, Ian. 

Nice mlr, Gul. 

28 mins this morning for about 3.5m. Happy to see easy pace hr come in for 8.02mm. Top it up with 45 min easy on turbo. 

i think the 6 weeks smashing the turbo could be a bit of a game changer when it comes to how long it takes me to get fit. My target is to get back where i was in March by end of year ready to start London training. That feels more than realistic now. 

Tomorrow is 30m and session on bike, trying to make sunday a 2 hour ish training day. 

Next week sees the start of some limited speedwork whilst building run time to 40 mins. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Progressing well DT - good dedication to the turbo!

Recovering well after the MP session Ian.  The 10K runs are meant to be tune-up races, scheduled the day before the long run with a mini-taper (a couple of lower mileage easy runs for the two days before).  So race pace efforts at the moment!

That's a good MLR Gul with the faster pace coming back.

7.5 recovery miles early evening in pleasant sunny conditions. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-The turbo training sounds like it has done you good,would you keep it going when you are back in full training?
    SBD-That sounds tough,10k effort then a long run the next day,happy to give it a go though.
    Worked a bit late today so just got out for 6 miles,it was a really nice evening though so enjoyed it.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Ian - hope you can work the schedule round some busy weekends.
    DT - all that turbo is paying off. 
    SBD - very pleasant weather and even nicer forecast this week. 
    5 mile recovery run this morning to make 60 for the week. Not sure if that was recovery from the MLR or yesterday's gardening!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I see you are cranking it up again Gul 😉
    50 here endings with a couple of nice runs in the Lakes this weekend. The place is full of tourists, plenty of staycations I suspect.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Sounds like some good runs in the Lakes and a solid total for the week OO

Go easy with the gardening Gul.  A good total for the week.

Don't go mad Ian - just do the quality sessions that you think will work best given what you have been doing for the last two months.

A steady 16 miles early evening.  At 21C, it was starting to feel warm but I managed to find some cool air running through the forests.  71 miles for the cut-back week.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    11.5 today,took it nice and easy as I have a busy few days ahead planned,brings up 70.6,which is my highest ever week,0.4 above my total from 2 weeks ago.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    decent weekly total, Ian. 67 remains my highest. ive always supplemented running with two spin classes a week. Whether i retain more than that long term i don't know. A big factor in that is time. if im still working from home in September when kids return to school then double training days usung bike to top up are probable. 

Nice 'cut back' SBD!

Looks like you're back in action  Gul!

30 mins this morning for first time. Had a few drinks yesterday and went out at 9am so should have been a bit more effort than yesterday but same route came out same pace as yesterday for a touch lower bpm. Given im half a stone over my early training cycle weight  and 10-12lb over peak weight it's pleasing to be getting those pace v hr stats for an easy run. Took my lad to his first rugby training since March then home for a mixed pace long turbo of 75 mins. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good going DT. That's a fair bit of poundage you've added, is it lack of running or eating poorly in lockdown? 
    Congrats on the new record Ian, up there with the big boys (Gul and SBD)😉
    I've vowed not to go over 50 until races start again, and have stuck to that for a good few weeks since my injury.
    Looking forward to hearing what format my local pool will adopt for bookings when they re-open. Unfortunately it will also be school holidays, so more kids in the pool and peak time charges.