Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Steve - I bet you'll be fast at the 140-145 bpm  :)

Please do try the chest strap before you ditch Hadd, just so you know it's not flawed stats.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - TRA is UKA, that's why I was asking.   So it's only events with course measurement certificates which is road/multi terrain.   Multi terrain covers areas like tarmac paths/cycle lanes etc., which are technically not roads, those permits are from RunBritain.

I don't look at Pof10, it's like the Strava stuff, folk comparing themselves to others and not usually for the right reasons, or for the voyeurs.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I think one benefit is that some very quick runners get spotted via Pof10.  There's an 18yo or 19yo at our club who is off to the USA soon as a university coach spotted her.  I was chatting to her a few weeks ago on Messenger and she thinks the coach saw her Pof10, kept an eye on her performances, saw she did well at the Nationals, and then offered her a place.  It must be really exciting for her.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone. 

I rarely look at Pof10, but thought it was just UK's based. 

Big G: my Garmin wasn't loading this morning too but seems fine now. 

13k with the croozer this morning. I've got one more day until the schools break up so I'm enjoying the ability to run. We've had some rain this morning which isn't nice. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I think word gets around without scouts having to look at Pof10.

Emmy - I think it is only UK based, but there may be an equivalent of Pof10 in each country?

What sort of marathon shape do you think you're in?   I'm assuming first marathon since baby last August.   You've been training well.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Just had this from Newport marathon in case anyone interested for 2021, I believe a fast course.   No good for me as same date as Connemara

DISCOUNTED LAUNCH ENTRIES NOW AVAILABLE!

You can now register your place to run 26.2 miles in the 2021 ABP Newport Wales Marathon on Sunday 18 April 2021.

Did you miss out on the opportunity to run a marathon this year? Perhaps you've used your lockdown time to discover a new or renewed love of running and want to go all out on one of Europe's flattest marathon courses in 2021?

Just 300 Launch Entries are available for the 2021 race, offering a saving of £10 versus General Entry. Once they're gone - a limited number of Early Bird spots will be available at £45 before just £49 General Entry spots remain.

The race is already almost completely full as those signed up to the postponed 2020 edition have had their spaces deferred to this next edition, so don't delay if you want to run 26.2 in 2021! 

A limited number of Welsh Distance Double Tickets are also available at just £76 - granting access to the ABP Newport Wales Marathon and 2021 Cardiff Half Marathon on 3 October (a saving of £15 versus General Entry). 

You can also opt to run for our Lead Charity Partner the NSPCC for just £5 when pledging to raise £300 to help in their fight for every childhood.

We've been busy planning the safe return of mass participation events and can't wait until we can run together next year. If you've got ambitions to make 2021 your marathon year, don't delay and register today before entries sell out!

ABP Newport Wales 10K entries will go on sale later this year. 

*An admin fee is charged on top of race entry fees by ACTIVE, who manage our online registration system. This fee is non-refundable.

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, probably, but as far as I'm aware this runner had never met her coach - he's in the US - so I suppose he spotted her somehow.  She (Molly C - you probably know her from the local press) did say to me that he spotted her on Pof10 at least initially and then kept an eye on her.  She thinks, but doesn't know for sure, he or one of his reps was at the Nationals but she implied they didn't make direct contact with her there.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: I honestly don't know? I'd like under 4hrs30 for the marathon but I've found that I'm struggling after 21k. I kept up to 21k for 2months just to solidify that base. If I'm being truly honest with myself, I'd just like to enjoy it? When I came back after Evelyn, I just got to 30k and didn't enjoy it anymore. So, id just like to get to the end and enjoy it. If I don't, then I'll just stick to halves. 

We've signed up Evelyn for the "baby race" which is 600m. She did that distance in January and loved it so we're in "training". 
  • KhanivoreKhanivore ✭✭✭
    Hey everyone - LOVELY to see some really familiar names from the past still posting here! I did Paris Marathon in 2019 at a leisurely pace. It was actually going really well until the last few miles when i got terrible cramps in my quads. A lovely marathon though and one I'd do again in a heartbeat. 

I had an injury (not running related) in my right knee last October. It seemed to have recovered about a month ago but I didn't start running again and continued to eat like i'm running 100 miles per week. So, I am completely back to square one. Well, not quite. I know I CAN get marathon fit again thanks to Shade's and the rest of the people on the thread and I have now embarked upon that journey once again. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - he may well have checked her out on Pof10 but most likely tipped off about her promising potential and through race results too.  It's all good anyway and I hope she does well.
     I do hope the pandemic doesn't delay or hamper her starting at her US college.

Emmy - weather conditions may be in your favour in Reykjavik so that might help in the latter stages.   But as you say just enjoying it is the most important thing and a marathon is usually a good way to see a city.

Great that Evelyn is running too, I bet she's taking her training very seriously.  :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Khanivore - lovely to have you back again.  

Here we go again, but you know if you stick around we can get you marathon fit.

Still enjoying your food then  ;)
  • Guys, am very grateful for the responses to my little problem, really appreciated.

Shades – thanks for your input on the idea of going back to 73%. When I started this “Maffetone” phase at the beginning of June, I said I would at least give it 2 months to end July, so will do that (hoping – as Hadd says – to really squeeze the tube of toothpaste), but then if no change, will revert to 73%, I can always reduce the heart rate if I improve from there.
    Ref your point on humidity – although I am from England (red half of Merseyside), and started my serious running there many years ago, I have for some years lived in South Africa. I live near Johannesburg which is at around 5,000ft., so we don’t often have humidity issues, and right now we are in the middle of our winter.  But thank you for ANY possible ideas. I am hoping to visit the UK next year and take in a marathon – was fancying London, but looks like only a 1 in 10 chance of getting an entry, so perhaps Chester which is near to my old home, or Brighton which is close to my wife’s. Thank you once more.

Big_G – Makes total sense what you say. Sorry to hear that you also haven’t made much progress. You say that when you look over your records of the last 10.5 weeks you are seeing progress - how much (secs / km?) have you made? Many thanks.

Alehouse – Please never ask if you might make an observation, observations and ideas are exactly what I want. I wondered about the mileage increase but, as I mentioned, the surprising bonus of only slow mileage is that I haven’t felt any real effects. However, as you point out, perhaps the body is feeling it even if I am not, and I am hoping that this may mean some improvement to come. And I have certainly heard loud and clear that patience is key. I have had a couple of cut-back weeks over the last 3,5 months, maybe I should try more. Many thanks.

Rcouture – You certainly don’t seem to have problems making progress, would be very interested to hear more, did the progress start immediately, or later in the 2+ months? Did you stick religiously to MAF? Ref the point already made, were you improving even whilst building mileage? My training times are still a bit slower than yours, and my HM time also – my most recent race was a 1:49 on about 25 miles a week back in August. Hopefully some scope for improvement. Many thanks.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Khani, welcome back!

Returnee, I'm quite pleased with my progress overall, but it's not been linear.  I've made 30-secs/mile progress on my MAF tests and also 30-secs/mile progress on various other routes that I record since doing this.  I'm pleased with that but a frustrating thing is that sometimes I get glimpses where some miles feel effortless on the flat and I glance at my watch and my HR low in my MAF range - when that happens I feel like I'm flying along.  For that reason I sometimes think my MAF tests aren't progressing as quickly as I'd like but I am pleased with the progress overall, and it's enabled me to be consistent with decent mileage.  I also really surprised myself last Friday as I did a 5k time trial on my own off of 10 weeks of MAF and I was pleased with my time.  I think from the 5k time trial I'm probably in 5k PB shape if I could toe the start line in a proper race.  One thing I don't understand is that I'm still getting quite a lot of cardiac drift on my MAF tests.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Shades - I'm not sure, I guess it will be just under 8 min/miles? based on my 135-140 pace.
    Big G - Any idea why you get the drift on the MAF tests? I think you have said before that you do a warm up, so shouldn't be that, but maybe you need a bit extra to get prepared?

The OH has a HR strap, so I might use that as it's probably more accurate than the old garmin one I have.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Returnee - A quick look at my Strava suggests zero improvements for the first two weeks from when I started on the last day of April. This was then followed by a solid 3 weeks of improvement. I then stalled (and complained on here) for another 3 weeks or so before it became a bit less humid and I got some runs in that showed me things were still ticking along. I have found that the conditions (mainly humidity, but also temp and wind) play such a big role that I will focus mainly on my times during ideal conditions to compare. I should have done MAF tests to track progress more accurately but couldn’t be bothered as I run a regular route which allows for comparisons. I have stuck religiously to MAF barring the first month where I was going a few bpm over on inclines for no more than a min or so but I have even stopped that. Re mileage I would have been on around 30mpw when I started MAF and increased progressively to 45ish now. Note that most of my runs are at or just below my MAF of 141, I think Big G is fitter so runs them below that. 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: she's very particular on the gear. I'll email you a picture. 

Khani: welcome back! Good luck returning to fitness. I love Paris and the marathon has a special place in my heart (not the final forest... That's a demon!). 

Big G: based on your location: do you see a difference in your HR when you come over here? Being so flat, I'm guessing you'd be flying?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Returnee - well it can't be the humidity then! 

I hope you do come over next year to do a marathon.   If London cancel this year's event the odds of you getting a place in 2021 will lengthen I suppose.  I haven't done Brighton, Rcouture is going to do that one.   A few of us have done Chester, good race and PB course.

Big G - yes, your cardiac drift is a mystery.   You don't get that sort of drift in a normal training run do you?  Weird that you do in MAF tests.  

I haven't forgotten about doing a trial MAF test for you, I did mean to do it on Tuesday.   Set out on one of my ILTHR routes, easy mile to start, then when my watch beeped without thinking I upped the pace and didn't realise until I was on the third mile that this wasn't an ILTHR run.  By then I'd let my HR get too high so finished ILTHR run.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, I've only been using the HR monitor the last few weeks so I haven't used it in NL yet.  I do fly but often we drive over, especially if we're going for a reasonable period of time as it's nice having transport  Also we had the dog so could take her on the ferry, but she's no long with us now.

Steve/Shades......long post coming up!

Steve, I'm not sure.  Do you think a longer warm up would bring the HR down in the MAF test?  I was presuming that if I did, say, a 3 mile warm up, the results of the MAF test would then be even worse.  I can try it as a one off just to see, but I think it'd end up being slower.  Currently, I basically run easy for a warmup mile, and then get to my MAF course and restart the watch from there.

Generally, there are often occasions in a run when I'm on the flat that I'm doing 8:45min/miles, for example.  If I get a nice, slightly downhill section (nothing crazy) it can be 8:30 and HR can be say 136ish.  On my best MAF test so far my 3rd mile was 9:00 and the 4th and 5th slower than that.  Most of my runs have some inclines at some point so it's hard to say for sure as I know I am very slow on the hills and a lot of my miles have at least some slopes/hills, but I don't feel I drastically slow on a usual 6 or 7 miler, whereas in that MAF test I knew I was slowing.

I don't very often run on the flat for long periods apart from the MAF test.  Could that be something to do with it - I just don't practice pancake flat running enough and the fact I'm walking hills is a problem, even though my HR is where it needs to be?  Seems unlikely I think.

It can't be that I'm putting pressure on myself can it, and that's driving up the HR on a MAF test?  Surely it can't be that?  I don't think it is that as sometimes on the MAF tests I can just feel I'm slowing/tiring in order to keep the HR the same.

I don't think I'm running too quickly or too slowly, but I suppose that's always a possibility.  But then would I have made the progress I have with my overall MAF pace, and that surprising 5k time?  As we've said, 142bpm is 73% of max which I think is probably okay, bearing in mind I'm often lower than that.  For example, today's run was 131, yesterday AM was 136 and yesterday PM 137 average.  Or is that the issue - not a lot of my runs are actually *at* 142....a lot of them are a bit lower than that?

The only other thing I was thinking was hydration.  I do these MAF tests first thing in the morning and sometimes don't hydrate as much as I probably should, especially if it's been humid over night.  After about 2.5 miles on my last test I was feeling thirsty and when I got home I downed water very quickly.  Some of my better runs in the afternoon I've been hydrating all day.  This is probably something to look at anyway, but would it impact the MAF tests that much?  Seems unlikely as most of my runs are in the morning.  I feel I'm grasping at straws really.

It is odd because my drift is in line with what Maffetone says but as I've said before I really don't think I go along with his view point there.  

This may look like I'm overthinking as I've written loads there(!!!), but it's not that it's on my mind all the time.  It's just annoying when I feel I am possibly fitter than my MAF tests show, but of course the HR doesn't lie.  Generally speaking I feel I'm going in the right direction apart from this point.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I would expect a longer or harder warm up would result in earlier cardiac drift.
    In Hadd tests there's no warm up but that's because the first part is done at 67.5% MHR.  If I did a warm up I'd never get my HR down to that.  

If you started the MAF test too fast you would lose pace trying to get HR back in range but that's not happening either.

However, you shouldn't really be feeling any tiredness kicking in over 5 miles but that could be mental tiredness as you're having to run 5 laps of the same course.

I'm sure that more running on the flat wouldn't help you at all.  In fact as most of your routes are undulating that should make any flat miles feel much more relaxed and more chance of hitting that 'cruising' mode.

Just watching Coronavirus update on BBC and gyms opening from the 25th July.  <3

Other sports too can start sooner I think provided their governing body approves and to their guidelines.  So we should expect EA to make their next update very soon.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - yes, if you were thirsty that would increase your HR and you would get more cardiac drift.  Maybe drink more before MAF test?
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - but despite this puzzlement over your MAF tests you did a cracking 5k and that bodes well for your future races, which is much more important than the MAF tests.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Khani. :)

Things haven't gone so well for me. Achilles was sore all afternoon after my run on Tuesday so stuck to walking yesterday and today. My body seems to be having a fight with itself at the moment. I have a minor wrist issue (big thumb tendon I think) which has also woken up - it seems like I've gone into inflammation mode or something. Oh and I had a visual migraine as well on Tuesday afternoon. Fortunately I don't get a headache with these, but I get a flickering coloured zig-zag thing and can't really see properly while it's going on, so had to lie down until it went away. I put that down to the lack of sleep the night before but I've not had one of those since the year my parents died (stressful time, as you might imagine) which was 7 years ago so it's rather disconcerting. I'm not stressed at all, so it's a bit of a worry as these types of migraines can be a stroke risk, and I really don't want one after seeing what my parents went through.
    Anyway, onwards and upwards.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - sorry to hear that.   Maybe you're a bit run down and made worse by having some nights with poor sleep. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, sorry to hear you're having a bad time of it :(  

Shades, it's almost like I need a check list of things to do before a MAF test ;)   1) down a coffee, 2) eat a banana.  3) use the loo.  4) put on my "racing" kit.  5) Stretch.  6) Hydrate.  7) wet HR monitor.  8) put HRM on.  9) grab keys.  10) head out the door.  But probably out of all what I said it could be hydration related I suppose.  I'll look at that for next time.

Decided in the end not to go for a run this afternoon.  I feel fine but a) I've ran 11 days in a row and b) it did feel humid to me so I'm not sure it would have been a great run anyway.  I've been doing some boring "life admin" instead.

There does seem to be some movement happening in the Covid restrictions for sports.  As it currently stands, we (Trotters) can't put on our mini-club championship so maybe soon things will be updated and we can do something after all.  I was messaging Chair the last few days and we are both keen to do something as otherwise the awards nights (if it goes ahead....) will be very empty.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Hope you feel better soon.
    I looked on the website for the 10 mile I'm hoping for in August,they updated last night saying they had a good call with EA and believe with government guidance to be announced early next week they will be able to take more entries,currently capped at 100.Sounds promising for smaller events to start soon.
    Couple of good days here,9 last night and 10@MP today,felt a slight niggle in my inner knee,I have had it before so just need to manage it well,usually goes with a few days of ibuprofen. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Shades, you're going to have to forgive me as I did another MAF test.  But, in my defence, it was with a difference.   I was experimenting with something that was mentioned on that BT thread where the chap mentioned he tried so start off at the lower end of his range and end on the upper end.  Also, it kind of falls in line with what you said yesterday where if I start off too quickly it may have a detrimental impact when trying to to get HR back down again.  So I thought I'd give it a go, after my usual mile warmup.

Quite interesting
    Mile 1:  135bpm, 8:54
    Mile 2:  137bpm, 8:53
    Mile 3:  141bpm, 8:58
    Mile 4:  142bpm, 9:06
    Mile 5:  141bpm, 9:20

So clearly manipulated to help avoid cardiac drift, but still an interesting test.  A bit slower overall compared to the other day but much less variation.  Probably doesn't tell me/us anything but still interesting I suppose.

One thing I can say for sure is that a headwind makes a massive difference.  I run my tests on a 1-mile out and back course.  Below are the 10x0.5 mile splits for the run - odd-numbers are with a slight tail wind, even-numbers with a slight headwind.  It really wasn't that windy; it was good conditions.  But look at this (split number, Av pace, Av HR, beats per mile) - each even-numbered split is quite a lot slower/harder than the previous odd-numbered split.  It's really noticeable on those numbers.
    1, 08:54, 132, 1175
    2, 08:55, 137, 1221
    3, 08:49, 135, 1191
    4, 08:56, 138, 1233
    5, 08:51, 140, 1238
    6, 09:06, 141, 1283
    7, 08:58, 141, 1264
    8, 09:15, 142, 1314
    9, 09:14, 141, 1301
    10, 09:26, 142, 1339

I reckon on a day with near zero wind and low humidity I'd do better.

Edited to add, no more MAF tests until August now.  Promise :)  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Ian - no fast stuff now until that niggle has gone.   Don't want to spoil your marathon PB chances after you've come so far with your training.  :)

That's great news about your 10 miler (and races in general).   That pre marathon race is important to you.

Big G - do you know, when I was out running this morning, it was cool and fresh and lower humidity I had an idea you'd be out doing another MAF test especially after our discussions about it yesterday.   So I'm not surprised, but you must stop being so impatient.   :#

Your edit should read 'no more MAF tests until 10th August'  ;)  ;)

Anyway, the mile paces look fine for the first 3 miles but you're actually getting cardiac drift from mile 3 which is not good and unfortunately if you'd run the first two miles closer to your MAF rate then the drift would have been more significant.   But on the positive side if you'd run the first 2 miles at the right HR they would have been faster.

When I mentioned yesterday about starting too quickly I meant going over the target HR and having to slow to get back to target HR.

You're right the wind makes a huge difference, even in weather like today when it's fairly light.

6 miles for me, lovely cool and fresh this morning, much easier to keep HR under control.

As expected I now have 2 emails from Easyjet informing me my flights to the IOM are cancelled.   I may transfer as their new schedule is coming out on 16th July for flights up to end Sept 2021, so could rebook for IOM next year or find another marathon to do, I'll see.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Ian, hope your niggle goes...I'm wary of ibuprofen unless I feel I really, really need it, but perhaps now is one of those times.

Big G, I think humidity impacts us more than we realise.

I had a pretty good sleep last night (actually more than 7 hours for once) and after a 35 minute session of rolling and rehab exercises I thought I'd chance a run. It was not a great run. I could feel all the niggles and although I was going at recovery pace, it didn't feel as easy as it should. My dreams of doing the EA virtual 5K this weekend have more or less evaporated.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    xpost Cal - although you'll miss your 5k this weekend at least you're back out there today and you had some decent sleep too.   So that's great progress on how you were a couple of days ago.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-No I wont,I was meant to do 5k this today but I'm not chancing it.Hope we get races confirmed next week,a HM would have been better but 10m is fine 2 weeks out, should give me a really good idea of where I am.Most calculators say 1:02 is on target for 3hrs.