Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    if you are on Strava or even in to YouTube, would you please look up Asif Amirat and check out the guy who claims to be running 240 mpw in his living room in order to raise cash for the NHS. 

It’s fair to say he doesn’t quite have the physique you’d expect of someone covering 5* the miles of most of us lot 😂😂😂
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4POoS9NKzq0

How long can you watch for....without being bored or getting dizzy.
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    can you imagine how broken you’d be running 240 mpw round and round your coffee table? Same direction all the time. Apparently working on your phone at the same time. There’s some great commentary of him around on Twitter. Seems that Strava have decided that it’s just a tiny weeny bit possible that it’s not legit and have removed him from the mileage leaderboards he was atop of!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    As if...

SG - no, they are the beardy ones in an anorak creeping through random bushes!  Nice segmenting by the way  :)  And I'm not giving you any suggestions!!!! (and please, licence, not license. We are not yet American....)

Long, hassly day today. I've got a big job interview tomorrow and only discovered by accident this morning that hidden in the MS Teams invite was an instruction that I had to prepare a fairly chunky and in-depth presentation and the slides had to be submitted by noon!!! So, on top of the stress of trying to get this done whilst also dealing with meetings and other general stuff, my neighbours are having building work done (for almost 5 years now with one thing and another!) but it's now culminating in builders being there for 10 hours a day from 8am just as we are all stuck at home. They moved on to the kitchen right next door to where I am working and this morning's work consisted of knocking down walls and digging up concrete with a jack-hammer!!! The final interrogation episode of Celebrity SAS I watched last night seemed a breeze in comparison!

Anyhoo - wet, muddy and potentially miserable run tonight. Actually turned out quite enjoyable in the end :-)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Bus - you're safe, all your segs I expect are insane hill and offroad stuff I wouldn't go anywhere near (or be able to find :) )

Best of luck for tomorrow. You'll be running the place soon!

Wool - it's just madness trying to imagine how many laps that guy must have had to rack up to even put a mile up. His numbers are clearly pure shenanigans though.
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Bus Have you come across MapRun? It's an orienteering App so basically speed Geocaching (or  Pokemon Go for grown-ups) Good luck tomorrow. btw Camping in tents is not allowed in Wales yet.
    4 CRs in a standard run is a decent haul SG.
    I 'only' did 5M today but managed to pack over 3,000ft of ascent in :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Just 3 count Jools, equal is nowhere in the cruel world of segging :disappointed:

Will have a smashfest tomorrow.

10th of July tomorrow. You'd imagine English Athletics will be hastily reviewing today's government moves and updating their position. They need to let people know what's happening for August too. Are races still banned etc?!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Cheers chaps

Not heard of that one Jools - would definitely reveal my nav weakness I reckon!!! Glad you mentioned camping in Wales as actually had a trip over with the tent as a possibility on Saturday. Hey ho! Cracking work on the Blorenge by the way - slightly insane climb per mile!!!
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    I saw a 4th in your hidden segments SG
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, it sometimes seems a bit hit or miss what shows and where. The app has quite a few limitations doesn't it, whether you're a subscriber or not.

You can't flag a run on the app for instance can you?

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Boned up on a host of potential segs for the now standard Segs fetish friday.

Short summary - attempted 7, got 5.
    (Technically I hold one of the 2 I didn't get, but joint own it, so don't!)

Best one was banging a 4.19 paced 0.14miler with a 16feet up. Sounds nothing, but at sprint pace that's plenty, especially as most of that is in the last third.
    Finally got that 1.4mile one :D 

Equalled my joint one that took a 4.03 paced 0.09 on grass. Strava reckons it's a 7feet down, but there's no way in hell it is, especially when compared with the 16feet up over a bit longer - which looks a hill.  So that effort was decent.

Infuriatingly, it's recorded my couple of smashes in the other direction as super slow nonsense, so I must have not quite got the angle right today. Which takes some doing!

Super annoying, as on one look I saw it hit 3.55 pace, so i was utterly annihilating the 4.32 needed.
    Sigh, will revisit!
    The 4.03 one will take a bit of beating though, by me at least. Needs to be a still day, and right at the start of the sesh I think.

Still, another tidy outing.

Never realised Wooburn park has a hilly path at the back end, and that it leads into some glorious fields behind.

Think I'll get over there on one of my standard runs soon :)

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good to see the usual goings on, and not much talk of injury.

After a P and D easy week i decided to try for the missing 10mp run from last saturday, and ended up stretching it up to the hm distance. 18m in total. Target was av  6.40s knowing id be quicker on the flatter miles and lose time in the undulating first and last few miles, so 13.1m in 1.27.15 (av 6.40).  68m for week.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday SG  :) 
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I hope this dude doesn't have carpet as it's going to get worn out.

SG segment hoovering as ever, have you kept a count of your CRs, as I a cyclist too, I use a site called veloviewer which gives you a much better view of your segments, the free version isn't too bad, might be worth a look if you like a bit of geekery. It's more cycling focused though. It gives you a score based on how popular the segment is, so some of the remote bootleg ones don't score as well.

Nice quarterly road run Bus, normally that signifies the Wokingham half marathon is next week or similar. Hope the interview went well.

Saw a upward trend on the 5k TT SC in less than ideal conditions. Talking of upwards, Jools do you ever tire of climbing?

Anyway, I had a calf niggle so only 3 miles last week but 25 or so this week. Yesterdays 12 miler was the only one worth reporting as I had some fun and games with some local nimbys. I sometimes run down what becomes a private road between the A4 and Wargrave, the private bit is along the river Thames and Loddon, there are quite a few very expensive houses built on stilts, most with river frontage. Anyway when I got to the end of the public right of way, the usually open gate was closed with two middle aged men sat in camping chairs, I called them gammons on Strava.

As I got closer they informed me that the road was closed today, not recognising their authority I apologised and informed them that I was going through regardless  :D  As I pushed the gate open, gammon number two jumped out of his seat and lunged to grab me, an outside swerve and acceleration was enough to see him clutching thin air and my obnoxious chuckle was met the gammon calling me a prick and then a rather forlorn plea that I came back for a conversation. I couldn't think of a reason I'd want a conversation with him so went on my merry way chuckling to myself as I relived his desperate attempt to grab me. He really should have been favourite to at least lay a finger on me but I am match sharp from playing tag with my two girls in the garden  :D

Today was an early 50 mile bike ride over to Bus's territory where I hit 52 mph going down his Kop hill  :p

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Ta Bus

Reg - chuckled at that - and not because we're all a mates' club on here, but because it was funny. The beauty of knowing your route! I dare say If i tried such shenanigans I'd find it was a path I had to come straight back past them on :D 

Pushing 100 crowns now I think..it's close. This is where having an addictive personality doesn't help, as you keep thinking, i'll just get this one, that one etc. It's like Pokemon - gotta catch em all. 

Birthday run for me then, just loitering under the first "proper" vet category now :o None of this track and relay V35 nonsense.

Having done so many double digit runs day in day out for months now, i'm trying different bits and pieces here and there.

I plotted a route out up to Flackwell through a steep hill and wood, picking up a 2mile soft seg, 7min miling job, and then down the woods and footpaths to Bourne End. I'm definitely  getting a strange amount of satisfaction finding out where different paths and routes go - i'm definitely hitting that middle age mix :D

Plan on hitting Wooburn was to pick another fairly comfy seg, as close to the 6.48 pace it was set at the better - to not let today slip into working too hard... got it at 6.46 so bang on.

Then having a tour round the woods nearby that are laced with segs, literally just to register on the map, and see how it sits. Maybe with a steady effort at a couple if I felt the need.

For some reason I was certain one seg was to the side of a field, so I scuffled up through the outskirts of that at about 11min miling, ignoring the very smooth, very obvious path in the centre... it picked me up on the segment, so they have more range than you'd think at times.

Then into the woods, and quickly realised there'd be no "sneaking" any segs here either. Quite steep ups and down. Stuff in the 7s and 8s usually looks cigar fare, but add woods and climb and you quickly realise it isn't!

Also realised that one loop was about as much as I could risk if i was to get back in 15, and so it proved, back in 15.5 as it was!

Had a few mins diffo elapsed v moving for once on a non seg run. Sometimes you just have to let the HR settle, and have a look around to get your bearings.

The trudge back up New Road was one example. I knew literally straight up was the way, although i'd come down a totally different path on the way out.
    But somewhere about 80% up, there's a sudden turn to the left, and at the end of it...nothing bar a gate saying no access.
    Luckily didn't ignore that and have a wander, as looking in the map there is no path of any description that way :D
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I really should have got you a week on a Scout's map reading course for your birthday SG :-) Sounds like a good bit of birthday shenanigans though!

Reg - everyone knows it's garmin you need to rely on those max speeds  :D Impressive climbing by the way and  nice work with the gammons. What was their beef - too lean for em?

Late afternoon LSR for me. Bit warm, but listening to a podcast about the BGR made me realise I'd be a total wuss to feel knackered at any point!

Talking of whihc, some pretty amazing stuff going on in the world of super-long feel running this weekend.  A 23 year old record falling for the BGR+ with Kim Collinson taking it to 78 peaks in 23:46, and the ladies Wainwrights record on the cusp of being shattered in 7+ days. She was on for the overall record, but the wheels seem to fall off overnight after a fair bit of sleep deprivation.  A handful of other records of less note, but still more than I'll ever do going as well....

• SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

More action Reg - funny and good effort at avoiding the lunge - SG happy birthday and nice segment hunting there. Good long runs Bus and TR, Going along at a good lick!

As Reg mentioned, thought i'd do my EA 5k TT challenge over at Gt Denham near Bedford. Its flat but can be windy..no problem as it's only a 'gentle breeze' according to the BBC. So got there and quite annoyingly windy. started at 10am and the aim was 3.18's to try and get down to 16.30. Didn't feel amazing, but cracked ob 1st K 3.15, but the mid lap part of this 2 lapper was into the wind (3.24), then back on 16.30 territory with a 3.15 - then back into the wind with a 3.26, leaving me 8 secs to make up on the last K...but there wasn't much left - a tired 3.24 giving me 16.47. Still really struggling in the last 2k, but better than last time I suppose.

Then off to Wrest Pk for the group session at 11.30am, 8 x 1k off 80. Went quite well, averaged about 3.18's. Once again, mixed nuts and dried fruit for a little energy boost between sessions are really good - always use them on the monster vets track final days.

Usual Sunday -ran to M1 J13, 11.2 miles, 6.55's. Booted it a bit on the 'wall run' alongside the Safari pk a few weeks ago and was only off the Wall run segment lead by 10 secs. So might have a go at that next week as it's last week for the Bedford 10k virtual times to be in

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    I love that you're on the seg hunting Simon :D Magnificent. Sucks people in.
  • SG - happy birthday for yesterday pal, nice of you to treat yourself to a few crowns.

Reg - 'Gammons' - love it. Really enjoyed that. Pretty sure I'd have done the same.

Simon - Pretty hefty double there! 5km progressing in the right direction and backed it up with a tasty interval session. Good days training banked there.

100 miles on the bike for me Saturday + a couple of open water swims (friday/sunday) - first time in the water for 4 months. Shock to the system. 

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Bus - those pictures of Sabrina in front of Moot Hall really show just how hard that was.

John Kelly is having a go at the Pennine Way record starting today. Word has it that he is the most legitimate challenger of late so there's a lot of buzz on the message boards. He also plans to re-try the 3 Rounds + cycle between thing within the next month. That seems a step too far for most so close after the PW attempt but apparently he's driven by the impending birth of child number 1 and so needs to make use of the time he has!
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Yay - another live tracker to keep me entertained for the next few days  B)

It was also nice of Sabrine to delay her finish so I could watch it live on a webcam rather than the scheduled 2 am  :p

Day off today, so out for a bike ride in a bit......
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    Oh, in other news I got blocked on Strava by Asif. What a disgusting troll I clearly am!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Were you adding your commentary on his activities? :disappointed:

10 for me today. A meander through some ghetto hills, into the woods and through them, popping into no man's land of Penn and Hazlemere, up and down some steep hills, then back into the woods.

7.45 all in which says it all, especially with 4miles of road to bring it down.

Worst bit was early on in the woods, a prolonged climb and an adjusted and racing HR, i took the opportunity to walk for 20 seconds in and around a fallen tree.

• WoolWool ✭✭✭
    yep, in my most polite message possibly ever I suggested he assuaged the doubters by syncing his Garmin to Strava rather than posting a series of pictures of himself outside on a manual entry (6 hour) marathon. Blocking a polite comment from someone who knows what they might be talking about says it all really!

I reckon I'll be called back to the office next week :-(
  • JooliganJooligan ✭✭✭
    Belated birthday wishes SG. Nice crown accumulation. That must’ve been unusually tough fare for you today.
    Back in business then Simon: 5K TT followed with an 8x1K session. Awesome.
    Sounds like an adventurous weekend Reg. :D I’m taking part in an elevation challenge throughout July hence the insane amount of hills.
    Speaking of which I did 7 reps of the hill near work for 3,000ft on Friday to celebrate the end of term. Saturday was a hilly local Parkrun course: single lapper on Forest fire trails which climbs 217ft in the first half then it’s a swift descent from there. Managed a pleasing 19:54.
    Sunday was another elevation competition - a virtual elevation relay: 14 hours to climb as high as possible. Runners could do any number of 30 minute slots for a team. Runs had to start at the allotted time & show the correct elapsed time but could be done anywhere & there was no requirement to finish back at the start so a 30 minute pure hill climb would be ideal. Our club fielded 2 teams: Goats & Hillbillies. My team were the Goats & was stacked with quality runners. I did a 30 minute slot from 1:30pm & managed 1804' up Blorenge which was almost exclusively uphill. I then did a 2nd 60 minute slot at 6pm & managed 2,221' over 10.7K doing reps on my home hill: 3 ups & 2 downs. As a team we overshot the summit of Everest by a few hundred feet.
    I've run 122M & climbed 26,234' up to yesterday. Feel like I’ve been run over by a truck now though 🤣
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Jools I've done quite a few of these hilly and offroad routes recently. I'm not overly convinced they do anything much more beyond slowing things dramatically , taxing heart rates and adding fatigue.

However it is odd times so a bit of exploring doesn't hurt.
    I think we all very obviously have our favourites and strengths! Yours are probably the exact opposite of mine 😂
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Wool this is why i try not to look at runs on strava too often.
    From the maniacs who race their training runs and constantly moan about "tired legs" to those a chunk slower than me who do every single run sub 7 and label them "easy 45mins" i just save myself that aggro now😂
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Hills are speedwork in disguise SG  :) They make your legs strong and you get good at climbing hills  B)

Absolutely bonkers Jools - you need a serious lie down!!!

What does that mean Wool? Just that you can't see his heroic efforts or anything worse?

35M on the bike today. It was fairly leisurely with a stop for lunch in Thame, but the legs were not feeling the love today!  Didn't get off to a great start either. I picked up a puncture before I'd got half a mile, and then cut two fingers trying to get whatever offending object it was out of the tyre! 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Had a look at the map trace, and there was a 220feet climb over 0.3mile. That's pretty steep on smooth roads, no wonder it didn't feel magic in woods.

That was in at Micklefield side going up and towards Penn.

From Penn towards Hazlemere direction it seemed totally down, the direction I took through some plush house roads. 
    And then going back the other way, it again felt seemingly almost totally down :)  After almost consistently going slightly downhill for a mile or so I was expecting some monster hill, but it never came.

Whereas a route I took last time was wildly up and down either direction.
    More exploring probs. Will leave the segs alone though!!

Huge game for Wycombe tonight. One win away from second tier football for the first time in their history. We'd be absolutely massively punching above our status there, but it'd be brilliant, even in a weird season where you can't go to all the games for a bit.
    Fingers crossed! We lost in the lower league equivalent of this game 5 years ago, and it's a brutal feeling!

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Insane Jools!

Like Bus my legs were not particularly enthused about going for a run today but I was going, so they had to join me. They moaned the whole way like a recalcitrant child but we got through it.

Need some new shoes, Adidas SL20 look a fairly good deal at £70.