My Last Run

Comments

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 5K, GD, though I understand your feelings about the wind-assisted element (I actually don't like having the wind behind me, I find it unnerving to be pushed along so my inclination is to brake myself when that happens).

Did a 6 mile walk yesterday and not much else. Made the mistake of having an afternoon nap and woke up very groggy so had some coffee (mistake number 2) so had real trouble getting to sleep last night. Tried around 10:30 but after tossing and turning for ages I put the light on and read for a while. Then what I assume was a police helicopter was hovering overhead for ages, making a racket, so I don't think I slept until around 12:30. Of course, I was awake well before 5 as usual.
    Body was pretty grumpy - I spent 40 minutes trying to foam roll and mobilise all the tight spots. It wasn't as angry as it could have been for the run but still quite niggly - I did most of the run at recovery pace before busting out some strides in the last mile. The strides were a calculated risk given the sore high hammy but it was the best I felt all run - felt better after, too. My body definitely seems to prefer going fast. 6.25 miles total (the last quarter was a cool-down).
    It's the EA virtual relays this weekend so wondering if I can get myself straight for that. I can skip it but it'd be nice to give it a shot. I've not done a 5K since my masters relay PB on my birthday.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Thanks, Guarddog.  Remnants of architecture from the past fascinate me, such as lidos, or ash running tracks, so your velodrome brought a smile to my face.  Quite a tussle with your running partner: following wind or not, you posted a great time.  :-)

Cal: that woozy feeling after a nap gets me every time, although I feel the benefits a few hours later.  Well done for pushing on with those strides.

More wind for me ;-)  Round the lakes and past the leisure centre before tackling the gently undulating trail to the start of Burbo Bank, all against a fresh WNW wind meeting me diagonally.  U-turn here, and payback time along the beach: felt as good as I have since the injury; mugged by 2 friendly Pugs, and past the roosting birds & swans before hitting the hour.  6.2 miles, so a sub-60 10k might be on *if* I could find a race!
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Great running as usual everyone.

GD,well done on your sub 23,wind assisted or not I'd still take it.

A few runs for me over the last few days.Saturday was just over 8 miles,four of them between 5k - 10k pace,rest of the miles averaging 7:25mm pace.One of those runs were you feel really good and had lots in the tank to push the pace if needed.

Sunday was a just over 10 miles a very slow and easy pace.Yesterday I tried a 5k but felt very sluggish and it just wasn't happening,I came in with a time of 21:58.I've woken up this morning with a sore knee so I'll rest it today

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hopefully you're feeling less sluggish now, Cal. Likewise with the wind I feel it unbalances me by pushing me along at a pace I'm not entirely comfortable with. But if I relax and don't try to fight it then it feels a bit better.

I'll try and get a photo of the velodrome for you swittle. We've also got the lido at Saltdean, which is an art deco example built in the late 1930s. I used to drive past it regularly on my commute to work and it's been in varying degrees of use and disrepair, but happy to say it's been given designated status now so hopefully onwards and upwards. As regards a cinder track that used to be the case with The Oval in Eastbourne, which was my local athletics track when I was a school sprinter.

Excellent 5K time, JD. Although slightly bewildering for me that a 21:58 5K is considered sluggish  ;)

'Bubble' run last night. As our session at Adur had been designated a run/swim affair we did the Devil's Dyke session, which meant hilly. Very hilly. Starting at the car park we ran down into the valley with the wind howling in a very un-July way. Which meant the second part was going to be uphill, including a feature called 'Cabbage Patch Hill'. Discussion was had as to why it was called this as no one could recall cabbages ever being grown there. However it was a 500m trawl up an ever increasing gradient that had the quads screaming surrender by the time the hill crested. As it was the first time I'd experienced it I was determined to run the whole way. In the end we did a touch under 6 miles and perversely I rather enjoyed it.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Well done on the 5k GD. Legs must have had fun keeping up with the wind. Nice hilly outing too. Isn't it great when you get to the top.

Seems you enjoyed the wind as well swittle, pleased to see you back routinely running strongly and happily again.

21:58 isn't too sluggish JD. Hope the knee is just minor.

Familiar with the being groggy post-nap Cal. How long do you nap for? Proper sleep? Also like to do some strides at the end of some recoveries to wake things up. If you are very niggly I'd skip the relays.

Recoveryish on Monday, sort of run when you are glad to lace up the shoes and feel the day's tension just drop off.

Yesterday evening standard group trot with a couple of people out with us for the first time in weeks which was nice. Assorted chats about racing as a few smaller events look like they are going to take place. General group opinion seems to be rather not take part due to personal illness risk or the risk of being put in quarantine due to contract tracing.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    There's a pleasing variety in your sessions, JD1 - distance, pace, no doubt inclines/declines too.  Sore knees - not so pleasant.  Wishing you well v soon.

Guarddog: photos would be interesting.  BBC revived the 1996 'Modern Times' doco on 'The Lido some time ago.  It focused on the Brockwell Park Lido in S. London.  Cal will know where it is.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgisFnS4zJg
    Fine effort on your 'Cabbage' endurance session.  There's a Cabbage Patch 10 in Twickenham, or there used to be.

Yes, Hazel, I'm relishing my running now, even though the frequency & intensity are over 50% less than before injury.  That apprehension about meeting in groups seems to be highly prevalent, whether it be shops, eating out, or running.  Races as they used to be seem very distant atm.

Out in the rain last night for 4.1 miles in 40:07.  Actually felt a nip of cold on the walk to the coastal park.  The rain let up and I was fine taking off jkt & running in a rather clinging t-shirt....  Spoke to a 'twitcher' observing the lakes within the Freeport - very few others out.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    swittle, yes, I do. I swam in it once as a kid and it was freezing. I have the enormous Tooting Bec Lido just up the road - it's 100 yards long (94 m I think?) so one length takes a long time to swim for a poor swimmer like myself. I've only been in it twice, mind, as it's also unheated. I had a wetsuit on both times. I don't much like swimming, honestly, and I don't like being cold either.

I've done the Cabbage Patch 10 - it's still going. It's named after a pub.

I've not had a great week. My achilles was sore after my run on Tuesday so I took two days off and just walked. The high hammy and groin are not great either (high hammy is actually the most noticeable when running but I've had it before and it actually doesn't respond to rest).
    I slept better last night so chanced a run today and I could still feel all the niggles. It was very slow, too, though the effort level was higher than it should have been for such a slow pace. So, not great at the moment.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Hills always feel good when you get to the top, Hazelnut  :) . I can understand the reticence about racing, even if they are small events. The feeling in our group is that such events here are going to be some way off.

Do you know the Cabbage Patch pub in Twickenham, swittle? Spent many an evening there when staying at the Marriott that's part of the stadium. I would go there with a couple of mates for an evening out. They used to have a great deal on buying bottles of wine, which we'd use our expenses allowance to take advantage of. Glad you're relishing running again.

Another club speed session yesterday evening. Five of us met at a park which had a 5 sided path running round it which, as an estimate, was about 650m in length. The idea was to jog one circuit as a warm up, then sprint 1 length, jog a length, sprint 2 lengths, jog one length, sprint 3.... up to a 4 length sprint then back down to 3, 2 and 1. Very tough as the wind was quite swirly. I am certainly enjoying the different types of training session, though.
    edited July 2020
    Would welcome a nip of cold in the air swittle - 21 degrees + at the end of my run at 8:30 this morning. 

Don't like cold in water I want to swim in though.  Never used to bother me as a kid. 

Cal - Difficult to say how to manage the niggles if they don't like rest either.  I saw on Strava you do a lot of mobility and rolling etc. 

Handy route for some speedwork GD.  Nice pyramid session - I would have quickly lost count. 

Fitting runs around the heat again here.  Wednesday's 100th streak day was ok - 7 miles on an out and back along a local brook.  Nice flat route and pleasingly managed almost exactly the same pacing on each mile.  Dog encounter - a huge Bernese sheepdog - curious rather than anything else but definitely too big to play with so brief stop. 
    Yesterday too hot in the evening for more than a few miles of shuffle around in the local woods with too many ups and downs to be considered a true recovery.  Noticed another youth camp out in fields - probably scouts or similar.  Also saw a former member of my running group looking fit and well - he must be mid 70s. 
    This morning out for 1:13 before the heat and then thunderstorms later. As often when work is looming I ran too fast but it felt surprisingly easy despite the lack of a decent breakfast and on one small coffee.   Finished the run with a few short hill efforts and strides.  Could do with a third breakfast or early lunch now.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    GD, the Cabbage Patch pub is the race HQ for the race. No bag check - just leave your stuff in the room upstairs. The winners actually get cabbages. (I'm not joking).
    Good speed sesh - variety is nice.

It's quite cool here at the moment, Hazelnut - perfect conditions really. Low 20s at the moment but cooler in the mornings. It's going to get warmer next week - I'm seeing 27 for some days. Not looking forward to that - the current weather suits me a lot better.
    Nice to have a good run before work.

Perfect weather this morning - sunny, 12 degrees and hardly any wind. It would have been ideal for the 5K but I'm not risking it at this point (I wouldn't be at my best anyway so it's not worth it).
    I wasn't going to pass up a run, though. After half an hour of foam rolling and rehab, I went out and did 7 miles. I didn't fancy Tooting Common today - just bored I guess - so I ran down to Wandsworth Common, along there, through the back streets to Clapham Common and then down to Theatre Street, the hill I recced on Monday. It's apparently 10% though I'm not sure about that...however it's quite nice in that it's fairly short and it's a constant gradient throughout. I was curious to see how the niggles responded to it so I went up at an easy pace. I was going to leave it at that but I had a hunger to do it again so I looped back twice more for two more passes. I pushed a little more the second time up, then the third time I decided to try it with much shorter strides and higher cadence. That actually seemed to work best. After that I ran back home. Now I wait to see if any body part have a massive sulk.
    Overall the run felt better and more enjoyable than yesterday's. I can still feel the niggles but they're manageable, and I'm still rather slow compared to before my lay-off, but speed will come back.
    If Valencia goes ahead then I'll need to start training at the beginning of August so I've three more weeks to try and get myself rehabbed and in better condition for that. Fingers crossed.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Altho' I lived close to Brockwell Park in the 70s [remember them? ;)], I never swam in the lido.  There's a lido in Ilkley - nearest I got to that was the H/Q for a trail race!  Sorry you're having a tough time with niggles, Cal.  Glad today's session was less problematic, fingers xed!

Guarddog - I had some rather dodgy 'contacts' in Twickenham in my biker days - Jamie, who resembled Ian Anderson [Jethro Tull] mended the gearbox on my BSA but sold it on without telling me.  When I called on the new 'owner' in a squat, he & his g/f were very sheepish - and grateful when I didn't take it further.  I'm enjoying reading about the resourcefulness that's driving your sessions.

Hazel: those Bernese are huge!  Rather like a fur covered lorry!  We've lost the heat and are enjoying changeable conditions: 18 hours' rain Wednesday, last 2 days windy, then settling to a fresh breeze.  Today, sunny, dry and a lovely 16 deg C.

Last night, just before sunset, 5.1 miles, 50:01.  Fresh WNW breeze hampered such pace as I have but the beach was firm right to the abandoned radar tower at the entrance to the Mersey, and few people were around.  Dog wise, the psycho black scrappy-do type scored another victory as it 'dogged' my course for 50 yards or so!  More aches & niggles during & after than for a month or so - had to pop a paracetamol when I got home.  A tad fragile now.

That sounds more positive Cal.  Had forgotten you might still have Valencia this year.  Hopefully things will be clearer in 3 weeks and the niggles quieter.  Gentle hill work might be a good thing actually as you will use different stride patterns and muscles compared to the constant 1-2 of the flats.  Be careful with the downhills.

Biker days swittle?  Love the idea of a fur covered lorry.  Take good care of your aches and niggles please you have been doing so well post lay-off.

Despite having done a reasonably swift run yesterday I decided to give myself a bit of a test today.  I won't be able to do my customary Sunday long run this week so out for longer miles today instead.  Plan was to do a shortish warm up trot and then 10 miles at around my marathon PB pace (around 8m/m) on a nice flat route and finish off with a couple of cool-down miles.  Told myself on going out that 8 miles would be a decent enough target as well if things weren't going well.  Things went very well though and I ran the full 10 at a faster pace even having to back off a bit when I noticed my stride pattern was breaking down to a hasty scrabble - usually not far off HM pace when I do that.  Cool-down was a bit of a drag but home for 15.5 miles in 2:06:26 (with watch paused for short drink stops).  Thunderstorms yesterday evening and rain overnight so a bit muggy.  A brief shower provided refreshment though.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Owned several BSAs, Triumphs and AJSs from the age of 16; wildest days were at uni - not that wild, really, but bikes saved on public transport & taxis if out late!  Still have some 'basket case' bikes, including the Triumph Tiger 100 I bought while studying in 1973.  :-o

Hasty scrabble?  A pace still unknown to me!  Plenty miles, plenty variety - but muggy can take its toll.

Resting up today has eased off my ills - using the grill at dinnertime has been my most strenuous activity!
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Great running, Hazel, sounds productive.

Enjoy your grill, swittle!

Decided I would risk a longer run today so went back to my favourite, the Wandle Trail, as it's mostly flat. I ran the section between Earlsfield and Mitcham Common and saw two herons - the second was on the handrail of a bridge I needed to cross but he flew down to the water before I got to him. After the Wandle, I decided to run on a bit of Mitcham Common I'd not done before (Mitcham Common is quite big, and a lot wilder than my locals, Tooting, Clapham and Wandsworth - it actually feels like being in the country. However, it is criss-crossed with roads so it's basically divided into chunks and I still have trouble orientating myself as one chunk looks very much like another). I ended up "enjoying" that section twice, as I got disorientated and turned the wrong way when I got back to a road, which happened to be the same road I'd just crossed, and therefore found myself back at the start. I'll figure this common out eventually.

Pushed a little harder during the last couple of miles (not too hard, but 11 and 12 were under 10 minute pace) but when I got to the last mile I was done. Most of the niggles started to remind me of their presence again, and I felt rather tired, so I was quite glad when it was over. Still, a half marathon-length run logged. Lovely morning too, and the body does seem to be improving somewhat.
    Thanks for the bike infos swittle, still toying with the idea of doing a full licence and sometimes prowl around some nice looking machines at the Triumph dealer in my village. Could get expensive though.

Hasty scrabble is cadence around 200 strides a minute and I end up running in annoying little bursts.

What did you put on your grill?

Nice outing Cal, despite the frustrating navigation.

Hike today meaning an early start.  Around 8 miles and 1100m of up and down. Not a spectacular mountain compared with some around and no real technical dificulties but a nice route, much in woodland and pastures with some impressively old trees. This evening a short local leg loosener around the fields of around 3.5 miles.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Nice speed session GD,always feels easier when doing them with clubmates.

Hope you're getting on top of your niggles Cal.Will be interesting to see if Valencia goes ahead.

Well done on your 100 day streak Hazelnut,that's a fantastic achievement.

Hope you enjoyed your Sunday grill Swittle.

8.3 miles yesterday afternoon,which included just over 1000ft climb over castle Dinas Bran.I haven't been on this route since pre lockdown,so it was a nice change.I thought I did ok on the climb,I just put my head  down and motored on.Lots of day trippers out,just hope they take there rubbish home.
    Did plan a long run today but was out most of the day with kids and Polly,girls on their bikes,myself and Polly walking on behind.Plus my quads are very tender from yesterday's decent,so I'll get out tomorrow hopefully.

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Nice couple of runs, Cal. How did you get on when you did the Cabbage Patch 10K? If I'd known they had an even I would have been tempted to do it. 

It's good to have another "passion", swittle, and it sounds like bikes have, and still do, provide you with a lot of joy. I never got any further than my Yamaha FS1E when I was 16. Unintentional wheelies meant I realised 4 wheels were better than 2.

Nice runs and hike as well, Hazelnut. Especially after the 15.5 miler. I'd struggle with 8min/mile pace for 10K let alone a marathon.

Hopefully people are a bit tidier where you are when out than they have been down here, JD. Well done on the climb, nice to just get your head down and that sense of achievement when you get to the top. And nice to have a day out with the family as well.

Two runs over the weekend. Back to that Adur on Saturday for an 11K where it was a bit windier than we'd figured, but nice to see the sun out. Took the out lap in a steady pace and at the turn my partner requested a minute or two to rest (I think she was suffering from the previous evening's pizza!), before we set off again. Tried to run it as evenly as possible, although my partner decided to stretch her legs for the final 2K and with the thought of the need to do the age graded 5K the next day I felt it was better to maintain the steady pace so didn't keep up.

Strangely the next day we both felt rather stiff legged. Perhaps a combination of the gardening we had done on Saturday, the 4 mile walk to and from the restaurant we visited in the evening (so nice to be able to get out) or the couple of pints and a G&T. It was back to the velodrome, although it was a touch busier with families taking advantage of the safe environment for bike lessons for their children. A lap warm-up after which my partner, suffering a headache, decided she was just going to jog round, which meant I set off without the benefit of her pacing me. Again tried to pace against perceived effort and maintain a steady rhythm, Built it up going into the last 1km and this time felt I had something to give for the last 200m. Managed a decent sprint and clocked 23:32, slower than the previous 2 weeks, but I was actually happier with it as a run. I felt it was more controlled and considering how my legs had felt at the start I was pleased with the time and being able to do a sprint finish.
    Good weekend's activities JD. Hope the quads have eased a bit by now.

Nice running from you too GD. Can anyone access the velodrome then?

Also suffering from sore quads today so a gentle 5 miles this evening. Those seemed to whizz past despite the lack of speed, wasn't just a tick the box run but one to enjoy.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Mundane use of grill: fish fingers, to go into a roll, with mayo, sweet chili sauce, mixed herbs & black pepper.  Never fails to produced an inward smile!

Cal: I think Nietzsche had a much quoted saying about the restorative power of double-figure mileage!  Good for you. :-)

Hazel: the modern Triumphs were very well received and the company has produced some revolutionary designs over the years, for touring, sports and racing.  A long way from the twins that powered Tigers & Bonnies when rockers rocked!  Your hike sounds to be a pleasant variation.

JD1: reading up about Castell Dinas Bran, the Norman lords, De Lacy and De Warenne were also very active in Yorkshire.  There can be few more imposing or intimidating situations for a castle in the UK.

Guarddog: after my teens rolled into my 20s, my interest in bikes waned as I became more aware of the potential for injuries.  In 2005, I got quite involved again - and may get one or more of them restored & running one of these days.  Yes, Saturday was quite breezy in Costa del Crosby - hope your partner's discomfort has lifted.  That's another creditable time for the 5k.  Good to hear you enjoyed eating out.

A couple of miles' walking for me today, with some strengthening work.  Yesterday [Sun.] my hour session went far better than the previous two shorter runs.  Overcast, a hint of breeze, enough to make the waterbirds bob on the boating lake.  The undulating trails from the leisure centre give a mile-long challenge but I am running more within myself here than on the flat.  Turning down the beach, the sea can just about be bothered to turn the waves over, and the firm, even sand is a joy.  Sand of a softer and more 'banked' nature provided an impromptu calf 'n' quad workout - the council staff have other duties atm.  1:00:27 for just on 10k.

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    GD - when I ran it, while it was chip timed, it was a gun-time event which I didn't realise, so while I recorded a sub-90 on my watch, I was given over 90 officially, which I was a bit salty about (at the time, sub-90 was my goal. I'm a bit quicker than that now). It's a nice race though. I believe it's fully chip timed now but I've not done it since as it's always clashed with autumn marathons. Reasonably fast and flat course, too. You do get a nice long sleeve top which is handy for winter training.

JD, that's a lot of climb for 8 miles - oof!
    Hazelnut, same for you (even if it was a hike).

swittle, you make your runs sound so idyllic.

Forgot to post yesterday - I had a rather uninspiring 6 mile run where my niggles all came out to play. I was in half a mind to rest today, but I didn't really want to so I went with the kill or cure option which ended up being 10 miles with some of Streatham's finest hills thrown in. I've run up the common numerous times, but several of the hills I ran today were new to me (I have walked up them - I often use my walks to recce new run routes). There were some real bastards in there too - up to 15% in places. I didn't push the pace - I just ran to the top. My breathing sounded like someone sawing through planks on a couple of them.

Grumpy bits don't seem to be any grumpier than before and I actually enjoyed the run a lot more than yesterday's. So I guess that's good.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Thank you, Cal.  Wherever one runs, the vista changes but, by the coast, water and weather regularly conspire to provide many contrasts to delight the runner - well, this one, anyway.  :-)

Chip versus gun didn't come in as an issue except in the late stages of my racing career.  Time 'line to line' was what went into my memory - and my diary!  Besides, I was unlikely ever to encroach upon podium positions!

Hill workouts are amongst the purest and uncompromising tests, Cal, so great effort there.  When I lived in Yorkshire, I trained 15 years or more, and hills were expected, even welcomed...some of the time.  ;)

Drizzle marked the start of a 40:25 4.12 mile run.  Warm, a businesslike W breeze, and virtually deserted.  Small lake, beach and a meeting with a gym colleague whom I've not seen for many years - I used to see him often at the same place, walking his dog but he was bobbing along tonight!  Another trail has appeared parallel to the Marine Gardens: wider than the original but rather bobbly underfoot.  Never satisfied, am L?  :)
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Nice couple of runs GD.I'm looking forward to visiting restaurants again,but we're a couple of weeks or so behind England in the easing of the lockdown.

It's nice when there's no pressure on a run Hazelnut,and you can really relax and enjoy it.Hope your quads are feeling better than mine.

That's a nice 10k Swittle.Do you ever jump in the car to Formby Point for a run?It was always nice running through the pinewoods and spotting a red squirrel.

Just over 8 miles yesterday afternoon.My quads were still tender from Saturday's run,so planned for an easy run,but I started my run at MP and carried on for 4 miles,and then I spotted two slow cyclists in the distance so decided to try and catch them up,which I did after ten minutes, and after catching them,I carried on  for another mile.So a planned easy run turned into a hard  run,and I'm paying the price for it today,so I'll be going for an easy run after work tonight.

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    JD1: yes, Formby Point's been a regular area for getting pleasantly lost, exhausted, or both over the years.  Along the beach once, I was hailed by a soldier... with a gun :-o ... warning me not to run parallel to the rifle range at Altcar Camp.  I complied. 

I was last there in May but considered it unwise to be seen running: sunny day, hundreds of folk around.  Here's a sculpture situated just before the long drop to the beach: I think it's called 'Breaking Waves' - local sculptor.

Were you intending to drop in a pic swittle? If yes then we can't see it..  Nice running and descriptions of it. Non-running chat enjoyable also.

Today's run does sound as though it compensated for yesterday's Cal. 15% is tough, ignore the pace and go by effort. 

Must be a good thing if you can run MP on tired legs JD. Chasing down cyclists can be fun too. Hope the easy run helped.

Tuesday saw the usual group trot on our usual loop. (6.5 miles/58:51 moving time) Ran with one guy a bit ahead of the others chatting about marathons, he has done quite a few international ones.

Today a rare midday outing, it being a dull drizzly day I decided to take a long lunch break. With less than 24 hours between runs and feeling a bit tired I kept the pace/effort mostly sensible, just increasing the latter a bit for the undulations of the last couple of miles. I survived with no lunch until 2pm but I had eaten an oat bar at around 11am, an hour before I went out. 11.3 miles in 1:39.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Nice one, Hazel.
    Is that supposed to represent a wave, swittle?
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Nice runs, Hazelnut, excellent pacing for the 11.3 miles. I'd have been ecstatic with that as race pace for an HM. And yes it would appear anyone can use the velodrome, although we noticed that it's closed for a couple of hours on a Saturday morning now whilst the local cycle club use it. Which is fair, I guess.

Are you a dab hand at restoring mechanical things, swittle? Good runs and superbly described. Thanks for the photo as well.

You can't beat a long sleeve top as a freebie, Cal. Glad the grumpy bits weren't too grumpy, Cal. Good 10 miler and well done on the hills. They are tough.

Planning on another restaurant visit this weekend, JD. The local pizza place wants to meet the person who keeps ordering a tuna, prawn and pineapple pizza as a takeaway!! Nice cyclist hunt down.

Meant to post yesterday and just got caught up in work. Tuesday was 'bubble' run and again we were at Devil's Dyke, although this was a different route that took down into the valley and on a cross country run through various fields, crossing streams and avoiding cows as we ran through Edburton and past Fulking and Poynings in a big loop. The fact we had to negotiate a very steep downhill section (virtually a rope and tackle job) did not augur well for the end of the run, knowing there would be an equally steep uphill part. We weren't disappointed in that respect, the last 2K was uphill with a very steep section (or as Cal would put it "a bastard"). It was head down and just trundle on as I was in a runners sandwich, behind the run lead, but being pressed by someone breathing heavily behind. In the end we welcomed the site of the carp park where we had started and managed to complete 6 miles. It had taken us 90 mins, but that was due to the very frequent stopping to regroup and figure where we were due to go to next. It was certainly scenic and interesting.

This evening it's another group speed session. I have the day off today and get the chance to see my Mum for the first time in 4 months, although I only get 30 minutes.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Cal: I think it's entitled 'Breaking Wave'.

Guarddog: I used to turn my hand to keeping bikes & cars on the road; shopfitting & painting/decorating too in my time.  Money from freelance researching was unpredictable!  Now, lack of practice leaves me slightly less dangerous than 'incompetent'.  :-)  Thank you for your comments: I find the muse running unseen alongside me most times when I'm out by the coast.
    Roads rather lose their appeal when routes such as you describe are there for the taking.  South Downs Way country, isn't it?  I'm looking at Google Maps: the placenames are fascinating.  :-)
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Nice pic Swittle.I used to go to Altcar Camp myself when I was a kid,mid 80's.

Good effort with the hilly 10 miles, Cal.I like your description of sawing through planks,I can definitely relate to that.

Nice run Hazelenut.Still no running with my club,maybe it'll recommence next month.

Interesting run GD,knowing that the last 2k was uphill would be playing on my mind.Yuk,with that pizza combination.Hope you enjoyed time with your Mum.

Just a short 5.25 miles yesterday evening,along with Polly.My quads were painful,felt like they had been repeatedly punched until I had dead legs.

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    It is part of the South Downs Way, swittle. One of the guys I ran with last week had attempted to cycle it a couple of weeks before, when we had the really hot days, and had to give up. It's an ambition of mine to give it a go. There is a lot of history around here and, as you say, some interesting place names and routes.

Good run, JD, and hopefully the quads appreciated the benefits of the run in the end. Pizza toppings are a running joke whenever I go and pick up the takeaway. Pineapple is wrong in any sense. Mum looked very well, thanks. Hadn't seen her for 4 months, but very grateful to the work the rest home have done in keeping her safe.

Speed session last night, a drive to Shoreham and meet up in a park. There were only 4 of us for this 'bubble' run and we started with a circuit of the park as a warm-up, then ran on a road to the side of it for an effort piece up an ever increasing incline. At the top it was back into the park for a pyramid session with distance ranging from 100m to 600m, unfortunately having to go back up the hill again. Really tough and have to admit my competitive side came out as I made sure I didn't push too hard on the second to last one so that I could 'win' the last.  Ultimately it meant nothing, but meant everything as I managed to beat the guy who had pipped me on the line at one of the league races last year when he'd put in a tremendous sprint at the point where I felt I'd beaten him for the first time. I think that finished me so the cool down lap wasn't one one I particularly enjoyed, feeling as if I wanted to flake out.