Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    OO - good consist miles. Not sure about rushing back to the pool.
    SBD - good idea to find some shelter from the heat and a cool breeze. Impressive cut back week. Yes, gardening is dangerous.
    Ian - great mileage.
    DT - sounds like a fun day you had yesterday and nice stats.
    10 miles this morning to start the week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO- The stat that skews it is that you may recall that over Jan/Feb I made a concerted effort to get my weight to its lowest in 20 years as around 10'12. I'm now about 11'10. That low weight was never sustainable post mara and my usual go to weight is just under 11'5, usually around 11,3 so from that i'm only 5-7lb over weight, but I am still 10-12lb over where I left off.

That comes from 8 weeks of literally no exercise March-May and not only continuing to eat the same food as previous but also being locked down so drinking more, which leads to eating more crap and so on. It's all a bit of a vicious circle.

The odd part is that from start of June my training time has increased significantly to about 5 hours a week but the weight hasn't changed.

Our David Lloyd opens next Monday, there's talk of the whole pool being laned and you book a slot, so no kids/family splash time. I am not keen on it all as sitting in a spin studio, even at half capacity with aircon blowing!

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great total, Ian

Had a big recovery week last week, only 31 miles. Went away to Dorset for a few days. Covered 25 walking miles in 2 days and had a great time. kudos to the bars, restaurants and punters who were all sensible, socially distanced and we all respected each other, just how it should be.

Got a regular 5 miles done on Friday to spark the legs up before a lovely 15 miles on the trails on Saturday. A 4 mile recovery yesterday to finish a nice week and help burn a few calories from excess BBQ food and beers all over the weekend.

Not sure If I'll run today but will do over 45 this week. Keeping to the plan until the London cancellation (most likely) comes in the next couple of weeks. I really can't see them going ahead if even parkruns are still banned.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OO-Not quite in SBD's league,his cut back week was still more than my record.
    GDawg-Sounds like you had a good time.
    Went for my long run today,hadn't decided between 18 and 22 so went to the local park as its traffic free and easy to alter distance,as it was it was a great run,got to 17 feeling strong so decided to throw in 4 MP miles,then a mile jog home,definitely my strongest long run yet.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Chicago now cancelled. A mate was due to run it.
    London is now the only major left this year. Really can't see it going on but must keep training hard just in case. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Yes - hard to see London going ahead (did anyone see the Telegraph article suggesting they might just push it back to October 2021) but I'll keep training just in case!

A great weekly mileage milestone to reach Ian and a cracking 22 mile LR - what pace were the MP miles?

Sounds like a good week in Dorset G-D.

No real need to worry about the weight yet DT - or at least that's what I'm telling myself!

A good start to the week Gul - 10.0 miles feels a lot longer than 9.9 miles!

My niggly calf was feeling a bit tight after yesterday so almost had a rest day.   Sense prevailed, so I got out for the 7.5 recovery miles early evening in light rain.  Calf feeling better for the run so a good call.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-The park is undulating so the miles arent even but they were 6:58, 6:48, 6:40 and 6:55.1st took a bit of effort to get to pace but then they were fine and it felt ok.
    Always better to err on the side of caution,esp now with no race on the horizon.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - good holiday/recovery week. Not unexpected news, but we'll press on just in case as you say.
    Ian - that's a cracking long run; nice MP to finish.
    SBD - hope the calf is okay.
    12 mile MLR today. First 6 avg 8:27/m and last 6 
    avg 7:30/m.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good calf niggle management there, SBD. Get the roller on it.
    Nice steady 12, Gul. It was warm this morning.

Managed to drag my lazy butt out of bed a shade earlier this morning and get a 10 miler done on the roads rather than trails before work. After a recovery week, it's now time to build in a few structured sessions.

Decided to do alternate miles of 7.1x and 6.4x.
    Really pleased to have hit all the split targets and average 6.59.
    Shows that the base training and the early campaign miles have had an effect. I'm way off race form and weight right now but today was a really good sign.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Decent long run Ian. The only thing to watch is that you don't peak when there's no races.

Solid mlr, Gul.

Well done on getting out SBD. If I can get back to just under 11,5 SBD then that'll do me until i'm thinking of racing. Now I have started a bit more running it is drifting down. Was 11'9 this morning and bodyfat is down 1% on where it was, but still up 3%.

I see Boston Lincs mara is one of the few still standing and is pretty intent on going ahead. Reading the news this morning about the likely next wave from October, it starts making London next year look tricky (and many other aspects of normal social life).

Off out shortly for a repeat of Sundays 30m run. Just consolidating before moving forwards. I suddenly have a lot more time now we aren't having to play teachers as well as work full-time, plus my work reduces a bit when school hols kick in.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-I have Reykjavik all booked up in 5 weeks time that looks like it is going ahead at the minute,so the aim is for that,still cheap flights from Luton if anyone wants a race.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    ah right.....ok now is a good time to be be heading to a peak then! 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Manchester (11th Oct) now cancelled...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Im afraid London is inevitable. I now wonder how next year will look with the liklihood being this'll have a resurgence over winter. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Not surprised re Chicago as US still has a lot of high infection rates.

Manchester is a 20,000 runners race.

There are going to be runbritain and english athletics announcements this week once guidance talks with the govt have completed. Maybe Manchester already know the size limits that are going to be allowed.

Theres talk of vlm going ahead, but we might not be quick enough to be invited. An elites, champs and gfa race would be ~7000 runners, so that has to be our hope. But it might be elites only. We'll see what the announcements say later this week.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I heard something today about elites only. All rumours of course.

Brighton is still on for now, that's in September.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    TR-I can't see London doing that,purely because of the bad press they got last year,the accusations of elitism would be all over social media.
    10 today,felt strong after yesterdays 22,calves were a little tight for the first mile but soon loosened up and felt good.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    If it ends up as a closed or smallish loop, then i can see an elites only race.

Ian - dont reach a peak and fall off it, you are hitting new mileages, paces, long runs etc. The best thing you could do is ease off a tad for a week. Once yoy get a confirmed A race you can sort out the last few weeks or so.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, I've already fallen into that advice trap with Ian. He's game on in 5 weeks. 

I agree, dont see london go to elite. it'd be a bit like parkrun announcing a return but only for sub 20 runners. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - oh ok, he might have spontaneously combusted by then........theres rumours that some runners have been given a vlm nod.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    TR-Cheers for the advice,as DT says I'm hoping to be racing Reykjavik in 5 weeks.
    I have been very conscious of how I increased my miles,April and May I ran between 50 and 60 most weeks,then June high 60's with an odd cut week and the last 4 weeks have been 70 then mid 50's alternating,hoping to get 2 more 70's in now then taper.
    Last 3 months have been 248,250 and 270 with hopefully 280 this month so a steady progression.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    TR, yes ive seen some speculation on the sub 3 fb page with some 2.16 runner posting on strava he better start mara training and a few other sub elites rumoured to be saying similar.

We'll soon see i guess. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    You're in a good place then Ian, you've put in your best campaign, resist the urge to keep doing more and better. If you hit the start fresh then you can run your best ever race.

DT - yes, we need this weeks announcements, then i can plan Brighton, vlm or IoW (or 11 and a bit laps of Goodwood motor cct).
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    TR-I get that,I'm trying to figure out the balance of getting the most out of the last 3 weeks and not over training.
    What is the longest MP run you guys do in the build up? I've done 13 but was thinking about 16 4 weeks out as a last final session?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    ive run half maras races as mp sessions about 5 weeks out and 20m races at sub mp.

One good way of keeping the pressure up for a longer period without neccessarily running 16 at mp is a mixed pace long. So 4 or 5m easy, then 5 at mp, 1m easy, 4 at mp  1 easy, 3 at mp, 1 easy and 2 at mp. Or say 3 x 5m at mp off 1 easy. it means you are working for the full 17m or so but without killing yourself. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ian - probably 10m for me. But i did 13.1 saturday within an 18, but i was probably a tad easier than mp.  Very rare for me, but wanted a bit of a marker in lieu of racing. I would normally do 24m easy 4 werks out......16m at mp is impossible in training. Id keep a lid on it and just do 5m near the end of a long run.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cheers guys,only reason I was thinking about is that I did a 20m race @MP before Berlin last year and got a real confidence boost,but I really don't want to push myself over the edge.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Personally, where you are now and the fact sub 3 has eluded you so far, id be inclined to cash my chips in now in terms of accepting current fitness ought to be good enough if you get all the other stuff right and therefore I'll tske where i am now as opposed to taking risks trying to milk a bit more out. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    I could see a champs only event for London but hard to see how they would extend to include GFA.

Running c. 6:50 for the last 4 miles of that 22 miler should give you the confidence to run Sub 3 Ian.  The most I would do pre marathon would be 14 miles of MP as the last 14 miles of an 18 mile run,  using a half-marathon race for the MP miles.   It's a tough session to do solo and 20 MP would be even tougher.  

I've been avoiding the tempo runs since Bath in March but decided I needed to reintroduce these to the mix.  So 18K early evening with the middle 6K at tempo effort.  Wasn't convinced the niggly right calf was up to it, so played the "be sensible, just run easy", "it's all good, go for it" game in the kilometre before the scheduled tempo section start.  The latter prevailed and I managed a good solid run at an average 6:17 m/m pace.  A lot faster than expected, so happy with that.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - great session.
    DT - hadn't heard about Boston UK.
    TR - you could say 16@MP is possible in training, but less likely to repeat it then in your target race,.
    Ian - hopefully you're in the position now where you don't need a confidence boost. Save the matches for the race.
    SBD - stonking tempo run :)
    5 mile easy run this morning. No idea what my plan is when VLM is most likely cancelled.