Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Great start SG, hope they can hold on! Worst day of my life, when we lost the League One playoff final to Rotherham. Was in tears after the game - sob.

Simon, had to scroll for a bit to find your mob on this list mate ;)

https://data.opentrack.run/en-gb/x/2020/GBR/ea_5k/scores/mens-3-to-score-r1/
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Championship baby👄🔥
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Bloody hell, Wycombe next season. Surely Akinfenwa can't play at that level! White Horse here we come. Bit easier to get to than Oxford, it's a bus to Aylesbury then a train, unless I am back at work proper and have a train ST again, then i'll go via London.

Jools - insane running!

Joe - yes big no show from us really. I can't look at those results, too many people I usually beat taking chunks out of me. lots of training going on, lets hope we all get back to work soon ;)

• The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Even I was a little excited SG :-)

7 slow and sluggish miles early doors this morning.
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭
    yes, 5.5 for me - quite humid.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Exciting stuff for Wycombe, you'll be able to watch them next season if you're prepared to sit there like an animal with a muzzle on for no good reason.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    At least the whopping season ticket increase is justified now!

Fingers crossed they let fans in soon. Especially for the aways on case it's a brief tour at such heights.

Not gonna attempt any tempo or sesh today. Not after all that excitement😂

Will probably plod an 8 or so instead when i get round to it
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    Exciting stuff for Wycombe, you'll be able to watch them next season if you're prepared to sit there like an animal with a muzzle on for no good reason.
    That's how you've always had to watch the Chairboys  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Eventually forced myself out at 1.30pm!!

Sticky conditions obvs, but thought i'd explore a couple of new bits of route that also had a less than Usain Bolt seg on. Kill two birds with one stone innit.

Found a 160 feet climb over a 1/4mile "footpath" up to near Flackwell Woods, that needed a testing.... 11.33 min miling :o

I chuckle, but there's a few awkward steps, 20metres of deep undergrowth to wade through, a gate, then a weird field with a mini horse jumping set up (!), and horses loitering around the edges, and no actual path at all.

Avoided the horses round the edges as if they were some sort of rabid beasts, hungry for lanky runner, and edged through the middle diagonally and onto a rough path into the sky.

Deadful footing, over the horizon and another really steep up, that I followed by the fencing, presuming that would be the "path". 
    Then i realised that was a dead end, and the actual gate was to my right...Arse.

Realised at this criminally slow pace that making it up there, still probably would get me the seg if it still triggered....

and it did... 11.22 pace for what has to be the slowest seg steal of all time! Probably would have been in the 10s without that extra :D 

Trudged up and along, marvelling at how this all linked up with a bit I've run 1,000 times, and trudged out a slow lap of an offroad field.

Down into Flackwell to explore a bit by their allotments and a 0.16mile segment up from Sheeplover Road.

I noticed the guy who holds the seg, which has about an 80feet climb, has a very similar distance and climb at 5.40 elsewhere...yet this one is 7.40

Quickly realised why...there's a bloody gate to get through at the end. Talk about a pace killer :)

2nd for that one then...not that I was trying to storm it, just nick it on the cheap.

And yes, long race reports have now become long offroad and seg reports :D
  • Huge result for the Chairboys, what away day you looking forward to the most SG. Or you more United or Wycombe?

Simon - you'll be back at it soon mate, of that I have no doubt.

Surprisingly good long run this morning, in the middle of a big a week of bike sessions - 20 miles @ 6:55mm which was a comfortable --> steady effort. Probably best long run I've ever done. Shame there's no races  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    JB - real incredible scenes! 
    I vaguely started supporting United in 90 influenced by a kid at school, and went to my first Wycombe game in 91.
    Season tickets at Wycombe for 25 years, United 7, but i go to 95-99% of Wycombe homes, and at most 1/3 of United - and last year, just 2 games for assorted reasons!

You can't beat your home town club smashing it though. United are in "crisis" outside the top 4. Wycombe have seen real crisis, and just 6 years ago.

Derby, Forest, Sheff Wed, Blackburn, Norwich, probably Villa and Bournemouth, just for a few.
    Reading nice and local. The names are huge, it must be about 80% ex Premier league teams

Just hope we can actually go to games. Will be cruel having half a season or even all season without being able to go to aways.
    Home games we're expecting limited attendance, so us STHs will be ok - at Wycombe's level anyway!

6.55 is tidy for 20

I'm off now to aim for not too much quicker, steady sort of effort on the reverse of the Marlow 10mile route I like.

• Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    Nice long run Joe, I was just musing to myself after my run on Monday how long it has been since I did a run that felt good. SG your segging adventure reminds me of a local egment I have been meaning to have a go at, it's through a farmers field and stands at 6:26 pace but there are three metal kissing gates. My plan is to jump the gates and I can only assume others have done the same as they're awkward to open.

Did a Zwift group ride/race yesterday nothing remarkable as I have my first IRL race coming up on Thursday however 64 minutes at 323 watts felt remarkably comfortable and I actually won the sprint in my group for 29th/1200, I started easy not planning to race so never got into the lead pack but my self-discipline went fairly quickly.

Thursday I am doing a real, outside 10 mile TT, they've been allowed for a week or so now being by their very nature an individual thing.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Be careful Reg.. I noticed similar in Marlow but then looked at the date the times were set and it was during that down tow up flow half....when they remove the gates!😂
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Great run Joe - I can only manage 14 at that pace at the moment! Yes hopefully I will be getting back into it 'properly' soon. Good cycling Reg.

SG - Looks like now is the time to just downsize to Wycombe, for all the reasons you listed. Better for running too - no long distance trips. On the subject, City away tonight, genuinely worried what the score might be tbh.

Did hills last night, no migraine this time! 12 x 90 secs. 9 miles this morning, going to properly measure 1500m properly on the track later, have a virtual challenge to do - linked to that 1 mile races event near Poole (Shapwick) that is every Olympic year, bit not going ahead this year.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Simon - I was 95% likely to bin the United season tickets, as last year the hassle totally outstripped the benefit. When you do 8-10 games, including all the big games, it's worthit, and the easiest way to do it. When you only make 2, and miss the big games, and spend hours trying to get people to take the pairs of tickets, and arrange all the details, it becomes a totally different mission!

But let's see how many games will let fans in first. Wycombe have about 2,500 season tickets, so probably all would be in, but United have 50,000, so it might be a case of say 15-20,000 can go in, in which case I could just not apply or something - just to hold my tickets for what could be a very exciting season.

Dare I say it that we look similar to Klopp's lot early on? A great basis especially in attack, but a couple of players needing upgrades?

I think the key with the footy is maximising the trips I do. Be it two game weekends, running in a new area, seg hunts, little B races etc.  And making sure you don't do a long trip anywhere near a long race.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    10 today then, 6.48 pace, what i can best describe as being a "steady tempo", using steady to be the zone quicker than easy, and "tempo" being the type of run rather than any sort of pace terminology.

These runs always feel totally different, be it conditions, people on route, cows, whether the gates have to be stopped to open, or smashed through (gambled wrongly on one today, ouch :D)

Felt cool, but close today, had to give some directions to people just when i was starting the first climb - that wasn't great :)
    Stormed down the long Winter Hill - at this stage you feel like a legend, on the 3miles back on grass through gates, a bit less so, and in the last 2 miles certainly not so.
    Although the last 2 miles on nice smooth road came out 6.35 quite decently. The other day in the other direction I had to put in 2 x 6.22 to get it to 6.48

It's quite easy to forget I think that grass is more sapping than road, especially sort of rutted grass, even if it's flat. And especially so when you're having to open a gate every 1/3mile.

Did the trick though, and look forward to some seg smashing on Friday.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Ah hill reps, not done those in a long time SC but might put it on the menu for next week.

SG you're basically turning into an off-road runner these days, will it continue in the mud?

Just under 6 miles for me today, just to break up the tedium I did 9 x 1 minute hardish off 1 minute easy. Came out between 5:25 and 5:35, didn't feel that amazing I must say. New shoes arrived today but I realised too late I'd accidentally ordered them in coral so they're a bit bright!

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I have done a heck of a lot of offroad stuff recently! 

I think it's a sure fire sign of closing in on middle age - getting delight from the countryside and discovering new routes :D 

Your session sounds like some of the early sessions I did on furlough. If you're jogging the recoveries it can actually take some going to get the 1min on's fast enough on the road I find.

A track never has that problem, and segments where you "have" to hit a faster pace work well too.

The TVXC season has basically cancelled the 2020 races already.
    There "may" be a couple in Jan-Feb, but being in July this feels a bit mad, although sort of brilliant as I hate xc :D 

But it does feel very 50-50 about 2020 races still.

Wales athletics released a rule change that you can now have 30 runners in a session, and theyve been behind England all the way. As English Athletics work to a pace that makes glacial look rapid, I'm certain England will be the same very soon.

It's then 1 tantalising step to some sort of road racing being allowed again!!
    Yet all we're hearing is stuff cancelled still.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    After our civil liberties were encroached upon by the muzzle edict this week, I can't see there's much hope of mass participation events for some time. What we need is a massive economic disaster that makes a few more dead pensioners less of an evil, then we can get back to racing. I thought Boris had some balls but I was wrong. TVXC is about as happy clappy and risk averse as it gets so there's no chance, particularly as nobody's livelihood is at stake..
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Do not worry. The Boris squad will do their best to cause more havoc.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Boris has got balls. They are just being held by Cummings.

Sharp reps from where I'm sitting Reg!

Nice 20 Joe! Impressive!

Come to Wycombe Simon - it's where all the best runners go for their twilight years  :disappointed:

Great 10, SG - that's some pace (again) on that route. And you are right about middle age and new. scenic routes!

Right, evening run beckons I guess....
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    It's an odd one Bus, as I have done a couple of 6.41 and 6.46s, and the last ones have been 6.48. But it's never quite the same circumstance, and I suspect it was slightly more favourable conditions the first times, perhaps also it feeling "new" the first go in each direction

Feels so alien a concept to do a run in the evening! Back in the early years of this thread I always did the main run then.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Most of mine are evenings now.

8M tonight, with the blister from last week giving me some serious gyp. It was nearly healed, but I hit it on a chair on Sunday, then yesterday's double elft it pretty raw. So, was much cheered up to get home and found I'd lost a long-standing hill segment!!! Fair play to the guy, it's a 0.67M off-road seg with 183ft of climbing, so his 6:40 pace is pretty tasty! I mean, I wasn't even aware I had it, but it's not one I would stand a chance of getting back now!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    The Bus said:
    Most of mine are evenings now.

8M tonight, with the blister from last week giving me some serious gyp. It was nearly healed, but I hit it on a chair on Sunday, then yesterday's double elft it pretty raw. So, was much cheered up to get home and found I'd lost a long-standing hill segment!!! Fair play to the guy, it's a 0.67M off-road seg with 183ft of climbing, so his 6:40 pace is pretty tasty! I mean, I wasn't even aware I had it, but it's not one I would stand a chance of getting back now!
    Sometimes you can aquire a segment through people flagging dodgy ones that sit above you in the list.

I noticed there's a seg into Marlow that had loads of people at mid 3min miling and low 4s all at either the start or end of what looked a legit (but slow) run.

No idea if it's picked them up cycling/driving away, or whether it's a real GPS issue around that road.

But no-one is booting 0.2miles out at 3.41 pace to end a 8.30paced 8miler!
  • SCoombes2SCoombes2 ✭✭✭

Ha ha Bus. Plenty of old bugger runners here to keep me company.

So only 2-1 at City. Shame they couldn't be arsed a few matches earlier. Ridiculous.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Yep - you've left this comeback a little too late.
    But that was City's season in a nutshell - best team in the country when on song - but very easily turn cruising wins into lost points, or giving hapless teams a chance.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I am just trying not to get annoyed about Liverpool's rather limp finish to the season and appreciate want went before it. Good to see Man City have bribed their way out of trouble.

I think the main cause for unknowingly acquiring CRs on segments is when people create them after your performance.

Not looked forward to going for a run in a long time but now I have a new pair of untarnished daps about the place I am suddenly as eager as a dog upon hearing the jingle of a lead.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    That financial fair play is a difficult one. I can see it from both my big club and small club perspective.

It's near impossible to break into the top without big money and financial fair play just maintains the same old teams dominating.

But when City, backed by a state put in such funds that even the real historic giants get blown away by, it really is damaging.
    Hilariously even Chelsea moan about them! Ignoring their early 2000s exact same approach albeit way lesser scale money wise.

Ps good point on the new segs. It seems bizarre that they aquire previous history.
    And ruins the comedy of setting one up with a dodgy name and sitting back enjoying someone seeing it come up on their latest run 😂
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    9 today then.
    Some more roaming, seeing where stuff goes. Out towards Marlow direction from Booker, through some fields and footpaths, temporarily lost track of where I was in Munches (?) Wood. Then back to Booker rec, and into the woods, which I've probably not been in for over a decade.

Seg blast tomorrow. More like it.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    6.9M for me tonight and a new route based around taking my son to rugby training in Amersham.  Still off-road and hilly, but somewhere new at least! After a slow start, I felt weirdly strong and it became a kinda progression run with the final average pace at elasta  minute a mile quicker than anything else this week!