Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's a cracking tempo SBD. The boy is on fire!!

Up early again this morning for 8 miles on the trails. Had a pair of Hoka Speedgoat 4 shoes arrive yesterday, so gave them a test. Very comfy and surprisingly stable for a high stack sole. As I do a lot of LSRs on the trails I wanted something to lessen the leg fatigue, my mates use them for ultras and swear by them.

Could feel the 10 mile session in my legs from yesterday but still managed to bag 3rd place in a Strava segment in the last mile with a half mile at 6.29 pace. 
    I thought I'd got top spot but some local whipper-snappers had beat me to it by 10 seconds!

Will go longer on Saturday and see how the Hokas fare.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice return to tempo running SBD.

GUL, just start training for vmlm 21....

Nice going, Gd. I never quite know how to work out where strava sections start and end when out running.

32 mins today with 5 x 1m at tempo. Cv felt fine for tempo but legs didnt feel like they had much speed in them.

NY provided choices today. i have a month yo confirm i want yo carry place forwards then  in january i put my preferences on 21, 22 or 23 in. if too many ask for a particulr year there's a mini ballot. We find our allocation out in Feb. to help the process, there are no time qualification places for 2021.

im tempted to just select 2023 to kick things into long grass and get some certainty sooner as i suspect 23 wont be oversubscribed. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-That sounds like a great tempo session,esp with it being faster than expected,what were you hoping for?
    DT-Good to see you safely adding time,think that's what NYC was expected to do.I was hoping to do it again in 2022 for my 50th but hard to see now with so many carrying over.
    Usual 8.8 mile loop after work,legs feel great and no after effects from the 22.
    I am entered in a small(100) 10 miler in August and they seem very confident they are getting the go ahead this week.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - oh wow. I didnt expect mile reps already. I expected more building up. How did your back feel?

SBD - you'll soon adapt, ive done a few of the p and d LT runs and adapted after a couple.

Gul - i wouldnt be able to do 16m mp solo. Not sure my 13 was quick enough for mp, but id rather err on the easier side.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    TR, sadly just minute reps as opposed mile. 2 mins on saturday and by next week 4 minute reps. So i guess mile reps are not far away. Back felt a bit more awkward adjusting to 6.30mm pace but sure it'll progress. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - that makes more sense. Kind of strides then to get the wheels turning. You are certainly on the mend, so good news. Well done.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    yes on strava, run description i described it as strides. just a gentle introduction to things for now but all moving in right direction.  Easy paces are returning fast even off limited running still. i imagine the steady and tempo paces will be a bit harder to get back where they were. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I ran 59:0X and 78.15 in nov 2013 when i was 46 off a summer of 1/2 IM training inc lots of turbo and around 120 running miles a month, i often find myself thinking im less fit areobically than i was then, as i trained twice a day. So you will be in an ok place for sure, But you need miles to run marathons, however you have until spring for that.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - sounds like a good purchase. Nice turn of pace.
    DT - NY options sound complicated. If VLM is postponed till next year will it be VLM 2020 or VLM 2021?!
    Ian - that will be a good build-up race.
    TR - I'm obviously not trying hard enough in races :)
    11 easy miles this morning.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nipped out for a cheeky 6 miler at lunchtime. Came in at 6.55 average after having a little push for the last two splits. More speed is the theme for this 4 week section, so it's nice to have a little charge every now and then.
    Starting to feel more like a runner in the past few days. Natural speed is returning.

Even if/when London is cancelled I'll make sure there are plenty of runs each week that average 6.50 pace so that it feels like my natural pace all the time, thereby making a sub-3 attempt more realistic.

Heard that the London announcement is a week today and not the 28th. (Rumour mill...)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

gdawg, no, they stated 28th July in their last announcement. That's what I did for quite a while (like 2 years), lots of steady/tempo runs at 6.45-.6.50mm, sometimes 4m sometimes 7m but always trying to make that pace feel natural and learning to dial into metronomically.

Ian, the initial NY should was that you could choose one of the next 3 years, which isn't quite the deal now on the table as if too many choose a year there will be a ballot. 2021 will get hammered as it's the 50th anniversary.

Nice 11, Gul.

TR, yes, miles are definitely necessary for my game but in terms of returning to running, when I tried in early May, having done nothing at all for nearly 9 weeks I was miles off fitness wise. Having spent late May and all of June really hitting the turbo hard, when I returned late June, once I found my feet so to say I have felt hugely fitter over the relatively short runs I have done.

Nasty HIIT session on turbo over lunchtime, taking myself to the vomit line a few times.

Back to the running tomorrow with 34 mins easy.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-I see what you mean about NYC,guess if they let everyone pick their own the vast majority will go for 2021,leaving them no space for anyone else.
    Usual after work run today,ticking over nicely,felt very easy,as it should now.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good easy runs Ian.  Where is the 10 mile race?  The last tempo session I ran in February was at an average 6:14 pace so I was just hoping to get close to this - I had feared something more like 6:40.

That HIIT turbo session doesn't sound much like fun DT!

The chances of getting a place at New York over the next 3 years is not sounding too good!

Good speed on the 6 miler G-D.

That's a good early morning run Gul.  Are you not tempted to enter the Boston (UK) Marathon?

A Sub 60 10 mile time would be my ultimate achievement TR - but sadly, I think, beyond me!

A steady 15 miles yesterday at 7:44 pace and then 7.5 miles recovery this evening.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - nippy lunchtime run.
    DT - TMI ;)
    Ian - what sort of pace are your easy runs at the moment?
    SBD - good steady paced run. Yes, Boston UK is slightly tempting, but it's  on the last day of our holidays and although we'll be home by then I didn't want to do anything which might spoil it.
    6 mile recovery run this morning.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-It is in Preston,so only a 45 min drive for me,they are hoping to get the go ahead this week,it is currently limited to 100 runners,but may add more depending on EA guidelines changing.
    Gul-They are between 7.45 and 7.55 now,usually closer to 55 but they do feel genuinely easy,I can happily have a conversation or sing to myself on the way round.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ha, I like to sing on runs to check it is genuinely easy!!

You've got to love a full on redline session now and again!!

Out for  34 min run shortly then 45 m easy on bike later. Body feeling really good at minute. Feels like it's over that initial aches and pains from coming back to running after time out have eased and i'm pretty certain the fracture is fixed as getting no discomfort there at all now.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Ha! I thought I was the only one to do the sing test to make sure I wasn't going too fast! Looks like we can start up a really rubbish "boy" band! 

Good work on the comeback, DT, diligent as ever. Glad it all seems to be coming together.

Rest day today. Running an LSR on the trails tomorrow with a mate. We both have new Hoka Speedgoats to play with.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Legs felt a bit heavy on today's run, following a couple of big bike sessions last 2 days. Done without issue then 45 mins easy on the bike.

35m tomorrow with 5 x 2 mins at tempo.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I'm a terrible singer and I always look around before I start just to make sure I am on my own.
    Decided to take a rest day today,11 days and I've ran 120 miles which is a lot for me,felt tired after work,a planned rest tomorrow so back to it Sunday,think I've got better at that this cycle which has helped me run more by knowing when to rest.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good call on the rest day Ian.

Progressing well DT - is your coach setting the sessions?

Have fun with the Speedgoats G-D.

Recovery runs are the most important runs Gul!

I save my singing for in the shower and use the HR for controlling the pace.

A steady 12.5 miles early evening.  A bit on the the hot side, even at 6:30pm, but have a few beers in the fridge to rehydrate.  Running streak now at 247 days. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Ian - my easy pace is a bit slower. I'll occasionally sing if I'm out of town in the countryside. Just for enjoyment really, not checking effort level :)
    DT. - your patience is paying off.
    GD - have fun out on the trails with your goats.
    SBD - nice steady run. Bet you were ready for the beers.
    Dusted down my trail shoes and headed out of town today for 15 steady miles. Enjoyed running thought the woods and along footpaths. Passed this local landmark below (PMJ will identify it if he's still lurking).

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SBD, yes all set for me. I'd probably be running 50 miles a week by now left to my own devices. 

That's some streak.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I ran 18:07 for 5k today with a few pals- by far my best since lockdown. There was definitely no singing 🤐
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-That is an impressive streak,I got to 12 last week and had enough.
    OO-Not surprised there was no singing with that time,well done.I'm meant to be doing a club 5k TT this week but not sure if I will do it or not.
    I only had a short shift in work today so thought I'd give a HM time trial a go as I'd had 2 days off running.Went to the park as it's my usual TT location,bit windy but nice temp.Finished my warm up and bad news,watch said low battery,it lasts for a few weeks so I got caught out,decided to carry on and see how long it lasted.My PB(1:24:04) works out at 6.25m or 3.59km,so set out around that pace,first 5km in 19:35 so about 20sec under target,slowed it down a little and the next 2x5km were pretty much spot on target in 39:59,knew I had a bit in the tank still so I was looking good and planned on speeding up for the last 3 miles,then disaster,my watch went,finished on 9.73miles @6.23 pace.Carrying on at that pace would have given me a 30sec PB,but I think i'd have beaten that as I didn't feel like it was getting hard so there is a real positive to take from it.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Crackerjack 5k there, OO. Skills!

That really is some streak, SBD. You have to go forever now.

Nice pic, Gul. I have no idea what or where that is.

Strapped the ‘Goats to my feet and met a mate yesterday for 17 miles on the trails. He also had the same new Hokas.
    I had a good quality week which tires my legs out but have to say that my legs were nowhere near as fatigued as they would usually be as we hit the last few miles of the 17.

The Hokas were good and felt very stable for such a high stack sole. Excellent cushioning which is exactly what I was after. I can see why they are popular at ultras.

Got a 5 mile recovery in today to bring 47 up for the week. Biggest of the campaign so far.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo , decent 5k given where we are at. 

Gd, im looking for a more responsive easy/long run shoe. Currently using dome v old vaporflys which are great but not sustainable long term. I take it these hokas are easy run shoes? What's the model and cost?

Ian  that sounds very positive and on paper you are well in for a sub 3 fitness wise.....but, i urge some caution as i know a lot of far better runners than me that have failed to sub 3 in several attempts. There's a lot of non fitness factors that come into play. Get your taper right, your carb load, your race day nutrition and most importantly race day pacing. A few faster miles in the first half will get you later on. Save your big ambition for 20m onwards not miles 6-10. Get through half way in about 1.29.15-45 which should feel easy then start a little nudge here and there. 

Just 75 min on bike today. This week's running shoukd see me hit 25m which starts sounding like proper running. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - good continued progress there, you cant be far away from a more normal schedule.

Ian - good going there. Tricky to convert that run to hmp or mp. I reckon on being able to do around 5m hmp max myself in training, so you are defo better than 6.2X hmp. You need to get a taper plan, race plan an stick to them now. Sounds like you could aim 6.40s on the day (3m every 20min) and go no quicker. Stop digging up your potatoes now to see if they are growing. You are absolutely sub3 ready.

OO - good turn of pace that.

I did 21m yday, longest run since Feb, with the 2nd 1/2 at the p and d prescribed mp +10%.

Following english athletics update friday, Gosport 1/2 (end of Nov) and Worthing 1/2 (end of oct) both cancelled. They were my sub80 targets for later in the year. Both are 2000 runner races. So maybe that number is going to be too many.
    Uk athletics and runbritain updates are expected later this week. Marathon updates will probably follow on.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Thanks for the advice,I was thinking of aiming for half in 1:28:30 as the second half is meant to be harder,will try and find an exact course elevation profile and check properly.Good to see you getting going again,you seem to have remained very positive throughout which is great to see.
    TR-Great long run there,do you have any smaller races you can do instead?
    Also thanks for your advice,love the terminology,I think psychologically I am trying to fully convince my head it is possible,it is my first real attempt at sub3 and know how easy it could go wrong,so if I have all these memory banks on the day it could help.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good to hear the Goats felt good G-D and good work on the 17 miler and weekly mileage.

I hadn't intended to build such a streak but it seems rude not to continue extending it!  It does have the advantage of getting me out the door when I'm struggling with motivation.

Bad news on the watch dying but a cracking solo HM time Ian.  That puts you comfortably in Sub 3 territory.

An excellent 5K time OO - where you racing each other or running as a group?

I'd be doing the same DT, so good discipline on keeping to the coaches plan.

That sounds like a good run Gul and well worth the early start to catch the landmark in the early light.

Still hot here early evening, but some cool air in the trees.  A steady 20 miles, just managing to sneak under 8 m/m pace.  Gives me 81 miles for the week.  Just waiting for London to cancel so I can drop the mileage a little! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Ian - sounds like course prep is required. Try to replicate it in your last few long runs. If you can run approx 10m av 6.23 then you need to aim better than 2.59, esp if the course gets slower.....you need to expect to run sub3 (having run a controlled and respectful race).i still have vlm and Brighton maras at rhe mo, i will aim IoW if they both get cancelled. Ive done the 1/2 a few times but not the full, it'll be a tough hilly affair (so I'll prepare for that and aim 2.55ish - knowing the last 2m is uphill, so hopefully around 2.56 or 7, depends on weather conditions too, which is another reason not to get too bent out of shape re race day).