neutral vs stability running shoes

I have been running in stability shoes for a long time (as directed by many many experts). What would I feel, and what would be the effects of running in a neutral show?

Answers

• I hope it's okay that I comment here, I feel it is quite connected!
    I recently found I got supination.
    I am 28 years old and have been having my foot rolling since I can remember myself, but I needed to get a nasty Achilles tendonitis and see a proper orthopedist to understand that what I've been having has a name! And is a real condition!
    Since I am quite active (I normally love indoor cycling - when there's no Coronavirus, and I now train with a pt 3 times a week), I am looking for a good training shoe, suitable and helpful for those who suffer from supination.
    I would like to find something good but as cheap as possible, as I understand that this condition means you gotta get new shoes quite often!
    Any ideas?
    Many thanks!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Nokapoka - I've replied on the other thread that you posted the same text
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Hi Rob

It will differ from person to person depending on quite a few variables. 

You might experience very little difference, you might find you prefer the neutral shoe (they can often be a bit lighter than stability shoes) or you might find them uncomfortable or develop pains /problems after running in them.

Is this just curiosity, or have you a reason for wanting to try and change? A change would probably need to be done slowly, to allow your feet /legs to adapt, especially if you've been running a long time in your current style of shoe, or run a lot each week.

Personally , I'm a fan of running in what feels comfortable, rather than necessarily what someone tells you to run in, based on your biomechanics (I overpronate, but run in neutral shoes quite comfortably), and there are some studies to support this (that people who pick a shoe that feels good are less likely to get injured than those wearing a shoe that's "right" for their gait).

But shoes are always a very personal choice, and there are lots of other opinions I've seen regarding this too. 
  • hi Chamolk I have run in ASICS Kayano on a suggestion from a podiatrist to give support for over pronation and these have worked fine and are very comfortable. Last year out of curiosity I went to Profeet and had their full running analysis. This showed a low arch but relatively good mechanics so they suggested ASICS Cumulus which is a neutral shoe. They do not rub but they have never been as comfortable as the good old Kayanos. I do not notice any benefit so am thinking about reverting to the trusty Kayanos, as you say, comfort rather than the ‘right’ shoe.
  • Hi. Do stability shoes generally have high arches? I've gone from a shoe with low arches, to one with higher which supposedly would give more stability as I thought I needed that after looking at how the soles of my old shoes had worn out. I am 5 runs in getting bad arch pain/cramp during and after each run. Not sure if I just need to get used to them, or if they're totally wrong for me
  • Hi Catty, generally low arch (over pronation) needs stability (although a Podiatrist would say this is not always the case). Use the filters down the left side of this link and it will narrow down your range of ideal shoes https://runrepeat.com/catalog/training-shoes . Having said that Asics GT2000 are 'right' for me but have taken around 30 miles to get comfortable. Kayanos were comfy straight out of the box.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Catty - I agree with Rob Ward, generally stability shoes are for runners with low arches/flat feet.

Looking at the wear on the soles of your shoes is not always accurate, some runners scuff their feet and end up with more wear on the soles.   A wet foot test is a reasonable way of checking how high your arches are

You could try replacing the insoles in your new shoes to ones that are more comfortable for you.   

My instinct is that if they don't feel right 5 minutes into the first run then they're not right for you, or even when you try them on for the first time.