Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Emmy-I've been fine with it,it was a very gradual build up,so March and April I only increased a bit so had a really good base,and I've stepped back whenever I've felt tired.
    Shades-I know,the highest I think I've averaged before is 45 and this is looking like 60.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - That article cemented the fact I’m really not up for running Brighton in September. I’m in a different place than you all in that it would be my first marathon and I really don’t fancy such a weird experience for a first one. No pacers, clearly lots of faffing about to get to the start and no medals handed out! I didn’t see anything about spectators but I’m sure those would be much more limited as well. 

7 miles yesterday which was lovely through Wimbledon common and at a sub 10 pace. I took a route I like through some trails that I rarely see anyone on and ran into a couple who let’s just say were well on their way to having a nice evening. Very awkward. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Rcouture - I understand your reasoning completely.  You should hear about Brighton in the next few days.

I struggle to see Brighton going ahead.   There's an awful lot of reading in those RunBritain documents and I read a brief bit about spectators.   They are to be discouraged, if necessary fence off areas to keep them away.   Where there are spectators there needs to be one way systems in place and spectators have to maintain SD.   It just can't happen on a course like Brighton, or London.   How can you stop folk coming out of their houses and lining the roads.

Ignore the part about the medals, I think that means you would pick it up from a table, not have it handed to you or put around your neck.   They wouldn't want to post out medals post race.

😊 at the couple enjoying themselves 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    12 miles today, but the last 2 or 3 really weren't great.  It's odd that my "limit" at this HR is about 10 before it all starts feeling quite laboured.  That hasn't really shifted and I don't really understand it, but it is a bit worrying in terms of marathon training!  I do feel I want to go a bit longer fairly soon (and do fewer double days), so I think I'm going to have to ditch the HR for anything longer than 10-miles and just run to perceived effort.  This morning I did a usual 7.5 miles really, really steady as I knew I was carrying on, stopped the watch so later I could compare with previous sessions, and restarted immediately for the next 4.5.  I can't say it was overly enjoyable.

In seagull news, a chick has fallen off the roof next door and is currently in our back garden.  I was planning a nice, leisurely second breakfast out in the sun but the adult is going bonkers anytime I go anywhere near it so it's really not going to happen.  I've tried to get the cat involved to encourage the chick off the premises but he's not in the least bit interested.
  • 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    Ian - Yeah you probably won't gain fitness now, like you say, just need to get fresh for the start.

Mistake on my prior post....session was 8*600.....I'm not fast enough to run 2:15 800s!!!
    Anyway 6 miles easy today.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Shades - Yeah without spectators and there’s no chance I’d do it. All of the mesures are of course understandable given what’s going on but I’d rather just wait, carry on enjoying training and build a better base. Who knows, maybe I can eventually revise down my time goal though I think sub 4 on the first one is sensible enough. 

Big G - When I first read your comment it sounded like you were planning on having the chick as your second breakfast!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - you will get cardiac drift as time/miles knocks on.    You certainly wouldn't run a marathon with no cardiac drift so it's to be expected.  Into the 2nd half you HR will rise if you maintain the same effort/pace.  If all was going well and you were maintaining race pace you could expect to be running as high as 88% MHR for the last few miles.   You wouldn't be running the first half at that high an HR.

After Rcouture's post, perhaps eating the chick for breakfast would have solved the problem.

I take it your OH isn't at home to deal with the chick
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Rcouture - there's a gap in the market.  Not KFC, but KFS.

Shades, no she's not at home - she had to leave very early to go and sign off 66 penguins on their way to their new home in the Netherlands.  The lorry was leaving at 9am as ferries etc are all booked.  She did all the health checks over the last couple of days but they each have their own individual paperwork that needs to be certified as they go on the lorry, as if they're checked at the border crossing and the paperwork is wrong, they won't be allowed out of the country.

I am planning a 16-miler fairly soon, but it's quite hilly in parts and about 2/3 of it is off road.  I think what I may do is run to HR for the first 10ish and then when it gets too laborious just run easy even if the HR starts drifting over (at that point I'll probably switch screens so HR isn't displayed).  After our chat yesterday I've been thinking again about doing a LT test.  I may put myself through what sounds like a hideous session in the next week or so....
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I love the thought of each of those penguins having their own travel documents.

You might want to do a search on the internet re marathon heart rates and cardiac drift.  This is a website we found some time ago that actually does a chart of HR per mile.  Mamafox used it in one of her marathons with great success.

https://feelrace.com/marco/

However the website is no longer free to use.  Maybe let mamafox comment on how accurate the calculations were before spending 1.69  :)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Big G - did you see Davey's post?  Plym Trail now 12th and 13th September, we've all been automatically transferred.

Or we can defer.
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    Emmy, that's a monster! I don't have a membership to the yoga studio any more - cancelled it last Autumn as I wasn't going enough to justify the cost. I used to go four or five times a week, but when I started running five days a week plus doing the exercises I need for that, then I just didn't have the energy or motivation to drag myself to a 90 minute yoga class.
    I will likely be going back to the gym, but I think you have to book now and equipment is rather limited.
    Enjoy the monkey zoo. We have one of those in Dorset - there's a TV show about it too.

Rcouture, I think that's sensible - your first marathon should be a special experience, and you'll need the crowds to keep you going for the last few miles.
    Incidentally, since you mention Wimbledon Common - have you tried the toast rack?

I've received notification that Richmond Runfest half has been cancelled (or postponed until Spring) but they are looking at running the 10K on both days. The reason being is that the 10K is entirely within Kew Gardens so is closed off from the public. The possible options are 1) do nothing and be automatically entered into the rescheduled spring event, 2) defer to Autumn 2021 or 3) transfer to the 10K. Since I'm in for Manchester which is always the start of April (if that happens...no guarantee yet!) I expect the spring half will come at the wrong time for me, so I'm very tempted to go for the 10K. It's short enough that I won't be worried about hydration, too.

Yesterday was another lovely, bright but cool morning. Unfortunately I woke up feeling really groggy and out of sorts. I think it was the lack of sleep on Sunday night catching up with me. I decided it was better not to run but I did go for a walk and rather underestimate how far my chosen target was and ended up covering over 9 miles. Yikes! (Fortunately I had taken a small bottle of water with me - it was warm by the time I got myself together, which was around 10am).
    Of course, I was knackered after and had an afternoon nap which then messed me up for last night. I've come to the conclusion that I need to avoid naps if I want to sleep at night. Unfortunately I cannot sleep like Kipchoge, who I've read gets around 10 hours including a 2 hour nap.
    Anyway, I did get a run in today, around Clapham and Wandsworth Commons. I'd hoped to do 10 miles but achilles and hammy were starting to complain after 6 so I settled on 8 - it'll have to do.
    Got some rehab in before lunch. I really should have glues, hams and calves of steel with all the stuff I do, but I need to find a way to get my body to use them properly.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes, I saw. I was in for the double, which I wasn’t looking forward to, so I’ve split them up and deferred one entry to a future event. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - good idea to go for the 10k.  You'll be cross if you defer and the half is out of sync with your marathon training.   And would be good to do a race, apart from the recent niggles you've been running well.

That was a long walk.

I used to be able to nap for a couple of hours when I was younger and still sleep OK the same night.   Apart from a 10 minutes snooze post lunch I can't even fall asleep if I deliberately try and go for a decent nap now, no matter how tired I am.
    Be warned, the sleep issues get worse not better. ☹️. But I don't worry about it, I know I'll sleep when I'm tired enough.

I think if we were doing Kipchoge's mileage we might be sleeping better.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal - Which bit is the toast rack? I have run pretty much every inch of the common although since starting the HR stuff I have avoided the hilly bits on the west side. That 10k in September in Kew looks interesting. I may look into it since it seems they haven’t opened entries yet for the second one on the 13th. Might be a good test of where I am fitness wise. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I've just signed up for the EA webinar about road racing return to competition,it is between 6 and 7,if I hear anything exciting I will update
  • Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Are you on Strava, Rcouture? If you are, send me a follow request and you can see my maps. Toast Rack is trick to find (I got it wrong a couple of times when I tried but then stumbled across it) - I did it in the Wimbledon Trail Series but of course there are marshals pointing the way.

It's a narrow track in the middle of the golf course, with fencing on either side. The yellow line is where I should have gone, but I turned left and found myself in a rabbit field. Fortunately I found my way out again. It's a bit of a trudge, I won't lie.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - I hope you'll have good news for us from the webinar  :)
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    They basically went through the slides that were posted,said about deterring spectators from attending,no water ideally for races up until 10k and encourage people to bring their own for further.
    No maximum capacity for races,depends on times of road closures,how much space do you have,any pinch points,how much room do you have at the start area,as an example they said Silverstone could have a big race as they have lots of space for all areas mentioned so sounds good for Goodwood Shades,they said to plan for a lot less runners than normal as surveys have shown a lot of runners aren't willing to race yet.
    The reason there is no limit is that the government has not set a limit.
    Local authority permission is part of the licencing,so need to check all certificates are valid.Gateshead have today said no races in the authority in August.If you go to the authority go with the government guidance to show you are following the rules and runbritain will support you to get permission.
    Races are OK from 1st August if they can follow the guidelines issued  Race jobs is to deter spectators but they cannot stop them,so a race won't be adversely affected is what I got from it,but if pictures of big crowds etc get in the press then that won't be good for races image.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    A question I was surprised they didn't know was whether chip times should be accepted for runbritain/power of 10.I'd have thought with wave starts being encouraged then it's a no brainer to go with chip time.
    Trail and ultra guidance to follow soon.
    Races that are currently licensed have been sent a questionnaire if they are following the new guidelines then their races will be accepted,all new licences have to agree they will follow the guidelines.
    Trying to restrict medals,tshirts etc being given away at the end of the race to stop people hanging around.
    There was a race director with the initals EH who loves asking pretty daft questions
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - thanks for that.   I think a lot of races won't get permission from the local authority.  They don't want the responsibility of dealing with a potential lockdown due to spectators not social distancing.

Birmingham half is cancelled as Birmingham council refused permission.

Even our small Plym Trail has moved to September as the local village hall won't allow events in August.

I think runners will still want to race once they know an event is going ahead.

Now we'll have to await London's announcement.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - if you give a finisher his medal and t-shirt he will go quickly.   If you give him nothing he'll hang around at the finish wondering where his medal etc are,  thinking "is that it". 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    They did imply the council might be hard,but guess some may already have permission? Closed circuits could easily work though,as you can restrict spectators so goodwood,lots of run though events use tatton park and racecourses up here.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    But they have to go back and check with the local authority again, as so much has changed since original permission granted.   That's been the sticking point for quite a few events.  Also open now to refusal from the police too.

But at least it's progress in the right direction for us runners.
  • mamafoxmamafox ✭✭✭
    Ian - That's a lot of info there.. "deterring" spectators sounds a bit vague. I think the spectator part of racing is going to be the trickiest factor to control.

Shades - No, I didn't enter that August trail race, it's quite far away and was just a bit of publicity they sent me. The trail race that I normally do (With those army boys) is on the 6th September so I'm hoping that's going to go ahead. Will leave it until the last minute to enter anyway as it never fills up.
    Had a look at that link, understandable that they have to put SD measures in place but all sounds a bit dismal really.

RCouture - I think you are dead right to leave your first marathon until things get back to being a bit more normal. On a very positive note you are going to be one of those rare people who are impeccably trained up to the eyeballs for their first marathon!

Big G - Lol at your seagull chick (And you trying to get the cat to help!).. can it fly?.
    With regards to Marco, I used his plan for La Rochelle marathon one year and I had the best race EVER. I didn't get a PB but it was dead close and to be honest it didn't matter at all. I came out with a 3:35, loved every minute of it and was flying at the end. Shades had given me the Marco link, I just stuck my info in and it churned out a race plan. I've had a dig through my notes and to sum things up it recommended an average HR of 166bpm for the race then roughly:
    km1 - 3   150-152
    km4-14   157-160
    km15-28 164-168
    km29-36 173-174
    km37-42 175-176
    I just ran the race on HR and didn't even look at my km splits, the pace was what it was. 
    I think it helped that the marathon is a largely flat course as anything more undulating would make it difficult to stick to those ranges.

A bit of a different outing for me this morning. OH had to have some blood tests before work in a town about 15k away so I went with him and then planned to run back home. I've run to this town before as one of my long run routes (those were the days) but always took the same circular route back. Well today I thought I'd try something different. I decided to come back following a river which went in roughly the right direction but I'd have to peel off at a certain point to get back home.
    All started pretty well, HR nice and low and, for a change, following a river the roads were pretty flat so I could keep up a regular pace instead of slowing and inevitably walking for hills. Then I realised that the river was actually dry, the fact that we haven't had rain in so long plus the heat had turned the river bed into a dusty, rocky track. I decided to get down and run in it. I climbed my way down through the trees and their massive, exposed routes and started to run. I was having a fine old time, I went on for kilometer after kilometer, twisting and turning, finding things people have thrown into the river, surprising herons gathered around the odd pools of water left and seeing absolutely nobody. It was lovely and cool down under the trees and the whole experience was quite surreal. However, things took a turn for the worse when I got attacked by a cloud of horseflies, I really had no choice but to sprint with my hands windmilling around me to bat them off. I was worn out after this and then started getting a niggling doubt that I'd gone too far, it was going to start to get hot and I'd nothing to drink. Panic set in and I scrabbled back up the bank to find myself in a corn field. Now, I know I am small but corn plants are very big, I couldn't see a thing. I set off in what I hoped was the right direction until I got spat out on some tiny road. Following this, I eventually found civilisation and crawled back home which was not an enjoyable end to my run. I crashed out on the stone cold flagstones of our kitchen on arrival and drank a litre of orange juice. Looking at my stats after, I'd actually done 18k and it was amazing to see just how much a river twists and turns on itself within a fairly short distance. I was also able to pinpoint the horsefly attack which coincided with a dramatic peak in my otherwise linear results! 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @mamafox: i'd love to see your route for that River. Did you get bitten by the horseflies? 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    The 10 mile I'm planning has just posted to say they are on,wave starts and social distancing at the start with medals posted out.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    mamafox - didn't realise that trail race was a bit far away.   But September will soon be here and you will race again then.

You did so well with the Marco heart rates for that marathon, you had a cracking race   I did put Marco HR's on a spreadsheet and tried to do a long run following the HR's. I wasn't that fit at the time and the first attempt I didn't do too well but the 2nd one 6 weeks later I did a lot better.   Never used it in a race, very rarely are my marathons flat enough but I must try it out next time I do a flat marathon.

You had a great adventure on your run home yesterday, apart from the horseflies.   They go after you when it hot and dry, don't they?   We got savaged in a race by them once.

Ian - that is brilliant news re your 10 mile race.   Means you can't run around TBL in MK now.  ;)    Next week I will put up the marathon list again too . 

I really don't understand the thinking on the medals, a runner can pick up a medal just like they pick up a bottle of water at the finish.   I've been at many races where the medals are in little plastic bags, that would be hygienic and cheaper than posting them out.

6 miles today, still cool but a bit more humid today.   Garmin website down again, maintenance I guess
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    @shades: I was going to ask if anyone else had issue with the Garmin site. 

I don't understand about the medals either. Maybe trying to reduce all contamination risks? 

5miles with the dogs this morning and had to get back quickly as we're having our roof fixed today (hopefully for the last time) 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - I've got this message on Garmin website

Looks Like Our Laces Came Undone

We will be back up and running in a few moments.

Fingers crossed they sort the roof out finally.

No I don't understand about the medals, they would arrive in a box and runners could just help themselves.   Someone putting them in an envelope is far more open to the chance of virus contamination!

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    What they said about medals was that it was partly the infection risk of people handling it,and also people hanging around getting them,don't see the issue either.Might be easier giving them out with the numbers at the start,same way some races give out tshirts before the race.