Moraghan Training - Stevie G

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Promising from the company Nice Work. They do the Gosport 5ks, Victory 5m and 100s of other races.
    Looks like a very positive statement!

This week our management team has gone through our race calendar for the remainder of 2020, making decisions around our ability to put on a safe event within these new guidelines. Our plan is to organise some test events in August, with limited entry limits, then put on selected races in September, October and November, with a view to returning to our full race calendar in December - in time for the festive race calendar.
  • Reg WandReg Wand ✭✭✭
    I think five SG posts in a row would’ve been too much. Nothing else to say.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    I'll put a post up then.

Good news re races. Victory 5 is probably one of the closest races to my home (if its stll at Lakeside - about a mile away), but i dont usually run it.

12m early doors (6m ~8mm, 6m 6.50ish).
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Reg Wand said:
    I think five SG posts in a row would’ve been too much. Nothing else to say.
    I do still have a high level of running hype...that'll go one day.

But not today :)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    TR said:
    I'll put a post up then.

Good news re races. Victory 5 is probably one of the closest races to my home (if its stll at Lakeside - about a mile away), but i dont usually run it.

12m early doors (6m ~8mm, 6m 6.50ish).
    Massive shame they moved from the other venue, as that was my favourite race of them all. Out with a loop of the track, down a prom, into some random lands, then the exact same back. Marvellous. 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Day off today and just back from a bike ride. Not the most pleasant ride I've had!

8 miles in, just past Chequers, a wasp/bee/hornet thing decided to get scooped up by my unzipped shirt. It stung me on the neck then as I tried to get rid of it, it dived down into my jersey and stung me several more times in quick succession! It was VERY painful! I lifted up the jersey and got rid of the wee bastard! I thought the pain would ease after a few minutes and carried on. It didn't  - just got worse! 15M later, I stopped in Thame to get something to eat. The pain was just at a plateau by then. I went to pay for my pasty, and got another sting!!! The bloody thing had hitched a list inside the back of my jersey!!!  It was a hornet and is now most definitely dead!

Just got back, and have counted 9 separate stings - neck, torso and back - and they are all still very painful!

Bloody hate nature this year  :D
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Dogs, bees, angry midgets - they all have it in for you Bus  :D

Marlow fartlek romp for me today within a 10miler.

Went for 10, and hoovered up 8.
    Annoyingly the 2 I missed out on weren't pace issues, but very slight route errors - we're talking like a route ever so slightly coming off the path it's followed the rest of the route. Still registered the segment though, so I can only imagine it's when I crouched down to recover thinking it was bagged, then wandered just over the line - 20/30secs on!

8 is probably a decent plunder though
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Im sure that you look for ways to hurt yourself Bus.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    I am getting slightly paranoid about being outside!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Bus - I believe Ric has been dabbling in a bit of voodoo with the Hornet!
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    SBD. said:
    Bus - I believe Ric has been dabbling in a bit of voodoo with the Hornet!
    I can assure you, I haven't. I honestly don't think ill towards anyone.

So, Cancel Culture, what's it all about?

🙂

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    22m today, drizzly and humid affair.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Casually described TR, as always :D 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Rather red and blotchy torso and chest today!

Anyway - 5K TT just now. First proper effort since pre-lockdown.  As flat a route as I can find round here, but all 100ft of climb was early on in mile 2, so needless to say that felt hard!  19:38. OK, but some way to go for any races that might happen  :)
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    And for those who like such things...
    (look away now if you are of a nervous disposition or have an aversion to hair!)

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Did you also have 100 feet of down in there?
    Can't be fun trying to boot a 100 feet mile at 5k effort :D 
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Bit less. Wasn’t a circular route. 
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    One for the lah-deeees
    (and erm, some men too maybe)
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    If you have the inclination, which you probably don't, Hurley where I did my Tue tempo is probably superb for a time trial.

Maybe too much of a drive for you for such a thing, but it's probably only slightly more than 2 laps as well - so not one of my old style thrashes round a track, or a loop.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    Stevie G said:
    One for the lah-deeees
    (and erm, some men too maybe)
    Only if they like short, old hairy blokes covered in bites 😀
  • An unusual incident on my run yesterday. I parked near The Pedestal in West Wycombe to follow my usual route (called 3NTs it starts at West Wycombe National Trust, goes through Hughenden and then Bradenham). Not far up Cookshall Lane there was an ambulance. As I ran past, I saw a pool under it and assumed it was condensate from the aircon unit but about 10 or 20 metres past it I turned back as there was a strong smell of hydrocarbon. Sure enough, the pool was not water but was fuel and I pointed it out to the crew who immediately turned the engine off. Luckily enough it was diesel and not petrol but even then, I wouldn't be happy with diesel dripping out of a hot, running engine.  
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    If you could smell it, then there must be vapour - even diesel vapour can ignite!
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    You're doing well to sniff anything from a distance on a run Phil.
    Good work.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    On another note, there are blooms of races coming back on the agenda.

I mentioned Nice Work having test events in Aug, then running some events Sep-Nov.

The Podium 5k in Burnley is going ahead in early August, with a range of time requirements. When I did it, I was fortunate enough to just be in an "A" race, alongside low to mid 14 animals.
    This time 14.30 is the cut off for the A race, and it goes down to 19 in about 5 races.

Bedford have an interesting looking one in October at a race track. 
    5k/10k/HM/16m/Marathon.
    All start at different times. Must be somewhere around 3miles a loop, as 16m is 5 laps and there must be some little runway onto the loop to avoid any clashes between races?

Maidenhead HM finally called it off, but GSR still remains open. I guess there needs to be a big government loosening before that one has any sort of chance!! Probably the same odds as the London marathon.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good sniffer work PMJ

Goodwood have multi distance days on the mottor cct too. End of Sept and early Dec.
    Rumour is vlm is about to be announced as an elites only race on a closed loop taking in the mall etc Not sure what Brighton are planning.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Noticed some local chaps did a 5k time trial near where I'd done my friday session.

Fast starter pal of mine Dom, and a guy i've robbed of many a seg this last few months. Potentially a 3rd, but no time given.

Looked a classic Dom race effort, going out too fast, leading, easing off, then a ferocious finish, for about 18.25, and the other chap, mid 40s, doing what looks a superb effort of 17.45

All round a loop of what must be somewhere near 1km.

Could be interesting to wangle into their gang. I wouldn't expect great guns, but even putting something in the mid 18s down would be a good bit of training.

For now I think I'll do similar to last Tuesday, but a 6mile version. A session I never particularly look forward to, but historically a key building block job.  Probably 3 full laps of a road loop, then finishing down the grassy stretch to the river should do it.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭
    Last day of the PL football season today.

Now I'm not really a follower of football, but you have to support your local side.

🙂

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    15 for me, very similar to last week, but instead of a bit of a climb on Wycombe road, then scraping through a nettle riddled path, I took the more sensible option of going into Marlow Bottom, and up to the woods that way.

300 feet climb in mile 9, so it was as steep on stats as it felt on the legs, but all in, 15 averaging 7.19.

Have noticed some cheeky rival has one of my segments "targeted" on his page, at 1 second quicker than my CR there, so I might have to get along there shortly and boot it down a bit.
  • The BusThe Bus ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    15M for me too. A run of two halves - flat from Marlow along the Thames path, Hambleden Mill and then up into the hills before dropping back down to the river. Surprisingly knackering given it was 1200ft less climbing than my usual Sunday run.  Slightly annoyed to end the week on 49.2M! Oh yeah, cut my hair with clippers again this morning, only I took the shield off to rinse it under the tap, got distracted, forgot to put it back on and promptly shaved a big, bald stripe across the top of my head! Doh! Looks ridiculous - glad I haven't got to go into an office tomorrow  :D
  • WoolWool ✭✭✭
    I had really the most uneventful weekend compared with Bus. I did get a single wasp sting on the back yesterday and went down like I'd been sniped. That must have hurt Bus, really hurt!

I was sad to see Bournemouth go down, I expect that Villa's time will come next time around if one of the big clubs can get in for Jack. 

I'm seeing more and more folks pinning their hopes on the events in the New Forest in early Sep taking place. Something is going to have to re-ignite my mojo before I commit. It'll perhaps be the sight / reports of others racing!

https://www.entryhub.co.uk/2020-new-forest?_ga=2.205875731.1888683940.1595842054-77872242.1595842054