Wednesday 29th July 2020 - When I was young

Morning.

Lyrics - When I was young

I never needed anyone

I'm not sure if that's good or bad timing Els - at least you should get it all done and both be on the mend and able to move forward though I'm sure a month of self isolation is going to be hard work.

Lola is hopping lame this morning so we're going to have to arrange a trip to the vet :-( I'm not sure whether I'll try a run or not. I shall walk and see how things feel and make a decision from there.

What:          hopefully some easy miles
Why:           I want to
Last hard:   not being able to run since Friday
Last rest:    28/7

Yesterday's lyrics - Bored by Billie Eilish.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Morning 
    Els/OH - agree with LMH, there is probably never a good time, but getting it all sorted now and hopefully moving forward by the end of the year is hopefully a positive spin on it.
    LMH - sorry to hear about Lola, hopefully it's nothing to worry about

What - slow and easy recovery
    Why - return to training for the club last night. Me and another coach co-led two sessions (6pm & 7pm) for 8-12 200m hill reps on grass at the country park rather than near the track & sports field for maximum distancing!
    Good to have around a dozen at each, down on usual club numbers but getting back slowly

Managed 11 reps on the first session which was tough going and we both agreed the 7pm session would be more observing than running...
    Clearly runners have no common sense, so we joined in the 7pm group session and said we'd do 9 making a round 20 for the day. 
    We did a 10th thinking you can't stop at 9. Having done 10 we agreed that 2 sets of 11 is more symmetrical. Stupid idea. 
    So 22 hill reps, legs officially battered.
    Last rest - 20/06
    last hard - hmmmm
    lyric - yes 

• WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    Morning,

What: 6.50 miles
    Why: because
    Last hard: Achilles
    Lyrics: Yes

I ran the hills yesterday and extended to 6 miles and all felt good but opted the flatter route to be safe with Achilles.
    S+C later
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Quiet!

Lyrics: no

What: stretches plus 81 mins, largely off road

Why:  LSR. Have been neglecting these a little for the last month or so. Need to commit more often. 

Hope the legs are ok, Dustin!

Did you run, LMH? Vet?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    haha, Dustin, that made me chuckle.

Nice longer run, ale. How are the niggles? And did you manage to see a physio?

Hope both of you are OK, LMH. Maybe Lola is channeling you :)

A month of self isolation sounds rough, OH and Els. But like LMH and Dustin said, getting out of the way sooner rather than later is probably not the worst thing. I like those pigtails :+1: I'm useless at plaiting my own hair which is why I keep it a low-maintenance shoulder length. 

Yes to lyrics.
  • I haven't Alehouse. We didn't want to leave Lola home alone early this morning in case she disturbed the neighbours (she was too lame to walk) and Mark wanted to walk before work so my walk was delayed then I had to work and we are just back from the vets so no time this morning. I'm still undecided as to whether it's a good idea to try a run or not as I could definitely feel my knees when walking. Not sure if it's just bruising or if I've damaged my knees. Ankle is less swollen but still some visible. I shall make a decision once I've digested lunch. Good that your niggles are allowing a longer run.

That was a big session Dustin.
  • What was vets verdict?
    My thinking is it won't be great for post op recovery going into hospital so unfit especially having worked hard to get back to some semblance of fitness and seeing how I was after10 days hospitalised last time and that was with getting out for a few short walks and with long corridors to pace! Ah well.
    Weather still cold and windy but dryish. ..walk with 2 friends and dog.
    Maybe another solo walk later....legs a bit stiff after running in yesterday's 50mph wind.
    Chick I'm not great at pleating hair either but it does help prevent the matted tangles!
    Have a good afternoon all.
  • Nothing obvious on examination so hopefully just a muscle strain - NSAIDs prescribed which is what I was expecting. I'm not happy that she seemed to be getting worse rather than better and didn't want her to be in pain unnecessarily, hopefully a few days of meds will see an improvement but if not we are a step closer to diagnostic imaging, we'd always need to try this first unless there was an obvious cruciate ligament issue or fracture. Can you use OH's turbo?
  • All change again!

Short run to take me over 100 for July followed by swim after lunch. Came home to telephone call from surgeon's secretary to tell me they'd had to cancel my op (surgeon had family bereavement in Egypt with knock on quarantine). No new date at present.

Good points
    We hadn't started isolation.
    May now overlap our self isolating (but neither of us currently has op dates)
    We'll get to see friends from South visiting next week.
    Good weather forecast from Friday

Downs
    Ongoing uncertainty and pain

Last hard - see above
    Lyrics no
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Evening.

Oh no not what you needed OH and Els.

Get you on the plaits Els, 50mph wind could produce some tangles I guess. Didn't think they looked daft at all.

Poor Lola LMH, hope those meds help her quickly. Did you get a run done today?

Nice return to club training Dustin. Hmm are you sure you counted carefully? 

Sensible regarding the achilles WP.

Great news regarding the foot Chicksta and why not use the physio for other things.

Well done on the LSR Ale.

What 17.5k pre work
    Why: some sort of midweek short MLR
    Last hard: ongoing debate in CH about continuing the ban on 1000+ events until Mar 2021. That puts a dampener on next year's races too. Was expecting it almost though. Decision in a couple of weeks.
    Last rest: 30.03.

Lyrics:no
  • I am now also on self-isolation https://sexabudhabi.club/