Saturday 1st August 2020 - You always wanted a lover

Morning.

Lyrics - You always wanted a lover
             I only wanted a job

Apologies - feeling a bit sorry for myself as it's another lovely morning for running.

What did you decide about the race Hazel? I hope you enjoy it if you go.

Lola doesn't seem quite a three-legged as she did yesterday so that's something, hopefully we'll both be on the mend soon.

Yesterday's lyrics - Boys Of Summer - Don Henley.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: I believe I do...and should have known yesterday's.

Feel free to feel sorry for yourself, LMH! I don't blame you!

Enjoy your day, Hazel

What: a run of some description plus stretches

Why: a definite run to feel day

Yesterday the temperature was 33; today it is forecast to make 18. And a fair chance of rain...probably just after I have set out for my run!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hope you get round in the dry Alehouse. We are forecast 22C and dry so not as much of a shock to the system. I think I feel worse because it happened just as I was getting back to where I was - after four months - and with the possibility of a shot at sub 3 in the autumn. First world problems though eh?
  • Plenty of time yet LMH....which marathon have you entered that may go ahead? 
    Go33 entries yesterday but only 150 spaces...decided against this year as too much uncertainty for both of us to take up sparse places
    Quiet house having left H at airport this morning. Bit of a tidy up going on.
    Had home grown broccoli last night...v nice but we prob won't get more than 3 or 4 meals worth.
    Not so warm today but the wind is down so feels milder. 
    Have a good day. ...look forward to hazels race report.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

What: stretches then an hour which included 5k easy and then some quicker sections

Why: I had said that I would start speed work in August, so that was an introduction to it. Wonder how the legs will be tomorrow! Although it was only 18 degrees it felt much warmer as it was more humid than yesterday.

I think that is wise about Go33, Els
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Keep getting that sign in thing so I didn't get back yesterday
    Els no way grumpy
    Lmh agree with alehouse I mean it's all relative and you've had some bad luck! I mean being taken out by that dog that way! 
    I felt it was lots Cooler today thank goodness. Nice training alehouse, think I'm going to have a go at speedwork too
    Hazel have a good day whatever you decide
    What 5 k round my roads up and down
    Why fancied keeping close to home
    Last hard that though last night was harder
    Last rest 31/12/16
    Getting ready for all my sprogs/little and big for a family day for Cleo who's 9 on weds 5th.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Been up the hill (7 miles)
    Had expected a zero month but now maybe some pressure to get miles in early.
    Evening swim later.
    Lyrics as usual

IT skills are one thing, people management another - still waiting on one video component for e-service for tomorrow!
  • Enjoy the family day Wabo.

I haven't entered Els - entries are due to open on 7th August - but there really isn't much time when I have only just run my first 20 miler in four months and have had a week off with no idea when I'll be able to resume proper training.

I hope they don't keep you waiting too long OH - stressful to be relying on others like that.

Did you manage to stay dry Alehouse?
  • Afternoon

Hope my comment didn't sound too grumpy either Els, certainly wasn't meant that way. Never know if it is a good thing to write such things.  Lovely flower spot yesterday. Broccoli =yukk I'm afraid.

Feel free to let out your frustration LMH.  I wouldn't still plan races with the need for big training at the moment with the virus as it is. Or does it lok better that some events might happen in the UK e.g. such as the one Els was mentioning? Not really up to date.

That's a big temperature drop Ale. Good news you are looking  to do some faster running.

Good luck with the preparations for Wednesday Wabo.

Enjoy the miles whilst you can OH. Hope your e-service is sorted soon.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

Stayed dry for my run, LMH...but then it poured when I was working in my daughter's garden. Rain stopped play so am watching cricket from sunny Hampshire.

Get those miles in, OH!

• So, race report - sorry long.

I made up my mind to go yesterday evening despite some doubts. National public holiday here today with lots of family gatherings and the local football team also won the league yesterday with wild celebrations in the city. To be honest I'm fed up with giving up what is important to me and watching everyone else doing what they want so decided that a small scale race would be acceptable.

300 participants, plenty of space for pre stat preps, start numbers etc all outdoors, helpers all masked up etc. Looked sound to me.

2 start blocks: ladies first (around 90), then the men and a few nordic walkers. Idea was for first man and first lady to finish around the same time.

Short warm-up, taking note that it was warm and humid but I have raced in worse. Start at 09:30 then two mildly undulating km along the lake. I knew there was a steep climb later so decided to start conservatively rather than blast off to save energy. Had to do quite a bit of overtaking nonetheless. First two splits: 4:50 and 4:45

Then into the climbing with 2 km with not far short of 150m each, initially on steep forest roads then on a hiking trail involving flights of steps - yukk. Walked rather than ran most of these 2k. Splits down to 9:xx and 11:xx. The fast men caught up at this point who had started 9 mins later so kept an ear open for overtakers stepping aside on occasion.  Not racing them so why not. Most say thanks too. Through the first drinks station, one gulp internally rest on the head and onwards to narrowish paths behind another lady who I nipped past at some point. After around another k things got rocky and with a descent I had to concentrate hard. Some men came flying past, I need to practice covering such ground better.
  • Out into some meadows on decent ground with some people doing a good job at opening gaps in the fence to let us but not the cows through. On to a slightly rocky broad track with the finish 3 k away but in view, asked legs and lungs if they could put a bit more in and decided to step on it a bit on a flatter but not overly technical section. A few ladies not far ahead and decided to try to reel them in. Or so I thought. Just before the 2nd drinks station I must have caught my foot and went flying. Braking with hands knees, errm left breast, chin and nose meant a generous distribution of red juice. As often looked worse than it was. More worrying was the fact I could hardly stand on my right leg after being helped up by a kind walker. Knee hurt badly and was refusing to coordinate itself. Short contemplation then called out the cavalry via the walker's wife as a walking attempt didn't look like I would have much fun at all on the last 3k.  Initial clean-up and a support bandage then a quad equipped marshall provided a lift up to the finish. Of course I forgot to stop my watch so recorded that as well - ups. On dismount I could hobble ok so after a bit of communication with officaldom I was able to do baggage collect and the return via chairlift ok. No hop in the lake.

OH had fortunately come with me so did the drive home, wouldn't have been fun with ripped up hands and bruised knees.  He punished me for that with large dosings of disinfectant -ouchhh!!!

Few hours later most likely bruising only. Will be sore tomorrow though.

Annoying but not the end of the world. Need to practice rough ground more.

What: DNF first race in months grrrr
    Why: fall, wasn't sure about damage to right knee
    Last hard: the ground!
    Last rest: 30.03

Lyrics: vaguely familiar

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Great report Hazel...up to a point! Trust that you are not too battered and bruised tomorrow! Very philosophical!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Oh no Hazel, that's awful. It's likely to be more sore tomorrow but hopefully it's only superficial cuts and bruises. Thanks for such a detailed report. We all love race reports and haven't seen many of those lately...

Yes to lyrics 👍
    I'm on a roll.

I really feel your frustration, LMH. I feel like I'm about to implode if I can't run soon... But at least mine was self inflicted and a necessary evil whilst yours was just a case of really bad luck. Hopefully you won't lose too much fitness and can resume were you left of - well more or less.
    Is your planned marathon a smaller event that's more likely to go ahead?

Ale: Must be hard on the Muslim community if their Eid celebrations can't go ahead.

Els: Probably the right decision on Go33. I like broccoli :) My favourite is a broccoli pasta bake with ripe stilton. Not exactly suitable as a summer recipe though.

Hope the video is coming through in time, OH.

I did a brisk walk for an hour today followed by foot and balancing exercises. After two days moving iron equipment around at the gym I was just too sore for s&c :D

Last hard: not putting in a few running strides during today's walk. I came very, very close ...
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Very disciplined, Chick: I think I would have broken into a run. When do you think you will be allowed or able?

Re Eid, it is like being told at 9:29 on Christmas Eve that Christmas is cancelled.

And talking of which, I usually bake a cake or two for December 25th during the first week in August.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    LMH: Sorry, forgot to answer your question about rising infection numbers. It's yes. Numbers are up. Mainly caused by people returning from hols bringing Covid back with them. Some communities have imposed another lockdown as a consequence.
  • chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone

Sorry to hear you've had injuries LMH, Hazel and Chick - I'd better look through the last few days and see what's been happening.

I've had a few walks over the last week of 1-2 miles, and a few very easy 30 second jogs - the first of these didn't go well, but the last few felt OK. Might try an actual run soon - see if I can manage a mile maybe, nice and slow.

Doesn't feel that long ago that I was in great form and did my best ever long runs, but it was March, so it's almost 5 months ago. Guess it'll take a while to get back to that level
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    Hello all
    Hazel - sorry to hear about the battering on the race today. Hopefully it's just superficial with no lasting damage. Hazard I guess (and I know too well) of racing off road. I imagine it stung a bit in the shower...Rest up and you'll soon be back!
    LMH - I think we all appreciate your frustration. Good to get a professional view, but in a couple of weeks I'm sure this will just seem like a minor, if annoying, blip on the radar.
    Chamolk - good to see you, what you need to remember is that you will get back there and beyond, just takes a little while. 
    Chick - great discipline ;-)

What - track, 2mile w/u then 12x300s with 100m walk recoveries
    Why - yeah, exactly
    last rest - 20/06
    last hard - today
    Pretty pleased really for 2nd track session of the summer. 
    Reasonably consistent and the last 3 were actually slightly quicker. In better form I'd be looking for 58-60 for these, today averaged about 65-66. Not brilliant, but not a disaster. 
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of reps, Dustin. Well done.

Good to see you, chamolk and even better that you seem to be on the mend now. I'm not injured as such. I had toe surgery (MTP 1 arthrodesis to be precise). The op was on May 26 and is usually 3 months before running can be resumed. Although it feels like I could start now ... :smiley:  
  • Hazel - hope you have got away with minor injuries. The marathon is one being staged only since Covid 19 restrictions so is more likely to happen than just about any other as it's been planned with all current guidance. Of course that could change but if the event is cancelled because of Covid they are offering a full refund.

Another track session Dustin? You are keen!

chicksta - well resisted. Not worth risking your recovery when you've come so far.

Alehouse - no rain forecast here and Mark and I were soaked through on my second walk. Cold too.

Great to hear that your recovery continues chamolk. Your fitness will come back more quickly than you think. Always easier to get it back than it is to get it in the first place.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening

Hazel great race report but so sorry to hear it ended like that. Hope you're not too sore tomorrow
    Lmh you have every right to be grumpy
    Hi chamolk
    Chick sounds sensible!
    Wabo can't believe she's 9 already!

Had a lovely day out on the Cotswolds, a very a 5km hiked then a visit to Snowshill Manor, can highly recommend it.

Have a lovely evening all