Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian/Emmy -Fingers crossed this goes ahead. Would be great to have an actual race report!

Big G - How much of the improvement is down to HR training vs not racing/weight/consistency? I know a hard question especially given the consistency has probably come from the HR training. 

7 miles this morning. Good conditions so managed to come in at 9:55min/mi. Long run tomorrow which should put me pretty close to 50 miles for the week which would be my highest ever. That’s crazy to me given how fresh I feel. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Big G - you obviously have to put the work in to be able to predict from a 10k, you should target a hm later in the year and aim sub 90min. Taking this up to mara needs long and medium long runs weekly for a block.

Shades - i run on weekdays from work. I get chased by nesting seagulls in the summer as they nest in the industrial estate (on the roof), the gull ftom our building fledged yday after a toddler ound the car park and a few wing stretches, he flew away (he was a bit low and wobbly), but theyve stopped chasing me now as the chicks have hatched. I wear a cap too - i did wonder it they think im a giant gull (due to the cap).
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    TR, yeah, I haven't done any long runs really the last 3 months, so I know the marathon predictor isn't reliable for me at the moment - it's nice to see what could be possible in theory though.  I've done loads of 10-milers and quite a few double-days totalling say 16 miles in a day, but other than that I've only done one 16-miler in 3 months.  What I've been doing is probably quite good for Half training but I do feel I need some longer runs for a decent marathon attempt.  But I'm fine with what I've been doing so far and I've got time to up the mileage if I want to focus on a particular marathon for a decent time.  I expect I'll do some other marathons over the coming weeks not necessarily for a fast time as such, but hopefully one will come along in due course that I can target properly.

Rcouture, as you say, really the HR training is the catalyst for the improvements.  In the past I've strung together a small number of 60-mile weeks or 70-mile weeks and then got injured, so have to take some time off, and build up again, and it went on like that in a cycle.  But with this low HR training I think 3 months of solid training means I've been very consistent for me.  Through lockdown, I've no doubt that if I'd carried on doing what I was doing a) I wouldn't have got that type of mileage/consistency in and b) I wouldn't have improved my base.  It's strange looking back as the 3-months has gone quite quickly really, but in that second month I was having doubts as I felt I was going backwards, but now of course I'm glad I stuck with it.  And in the big scheme of things, 3 months really isn't that long although it can feel like it when I was having to walk up some minor slopes (well, I still do often!).  

Of course the other thing is that I'm not churning out regular marathons, and that has helped massively.  Even a "steady-paced" marathon (i.e., not one that I've raced) is tiring.   But even if I had stopped doing marathons and hadn't made any changes to my training, I'm convinced I wouldn't have seen these improvements because the consistency wouldn't have been there.  As I said to TR above I don't think I'm "marathon ready" as I've not done long runs, but I can make some adjustments to get those in if I want to.

The weight loss is strange as in the past I've gone down to 12st8 and it's felt too light.  12st 8 used to be very hard for me to get to as well.  But I'm currently half a stone lighter than that and I feel fine (12st1 may still sound heavy, but I am tall).  Definitely the weight loss does help, but I can't really say how much.  There is a calculator somewhere that estimates it, but it's got to be a few seconds/mile, hasn't it?  And of course, if I hadn't made the change to HR training and become more consistent would I have dropped the weight?  Probably not.

So to answer your question, I think all the improvements stem from the HR training really.  Weight loss definitely plays a part though, which I know people don't need HR training to accomplish.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-The pace difference in the calculator is immense,I think for me 1st,from Berlin to now,equates to about 10 mins at my pace.
  • Options
    Emmy, what a gorgeous dog!

Did a 6 mile recovery plod this morning - I only slept 5 hours due to the heat and it was already 18 degrees when I went out around 5:20am or so (I say already, it just didn't cool down overnight) so my legs felt leaden. I tried injecting some strides into the last mile but they didn't help as they normally do - legs were so heavy. I didn't do much leg work in the gym so I can only attribute it to the heat, lack of sleep and the two fast runs I did during the week.
    Hopefully legs will be better tomorrow. The Vet Runners UK event for tomorrow is a 15K which I may do if I feel quick again, but it's a relaxed, fun contest so you're allowed to do them up to two days later. There's also a half marathon event to be done any time before Friday (well, also a marathon, but I don't suppose many people will want to do that one).
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - sub 10m/m and in your highest mileage week, great progress.

TR - ha, ha at appearing to be a giant seagull to a nesting herring gull.   I sometimes wonder if they chase us a a bit of early morning sport to them.   We have a pair nesting on the roof of the house opposite where I live, they've been coming here for years and are incredibly noisy.   But despite the relentless bonking that they do while screaming, they've never resulted in having any chicks, so are not aggressive.   I think this is their summer 'holiday home'.   They came back for a few days in February too when we had the awful storms.

Big G/Ian - there used to be a great calculator re weight loss on Running for Fitness website, but that website is no longer there.   The race predictor calculator was particularly good as it calculated by 3 or 4 different methods and gave a wider prediction, also up to 100 mile races.
    I think the rough estimate is one minute 35 seconds faster in a marathon per pound lost.   Of course there are a lot of variables, that assumes that loss is dead weight, i.e. fat, and training has been equal.  In reality we usually lose a combination of fat and muscle, but not all muscle might be helpful to running anyway, say in upper body.   Weight loss can also help the body to become more efficient and that also can lead to improvements in training and races, improvements that can't be solely due to excess weight loss.

Cal - been humid and too warm at night here too, but I see for us tonight it's due to drop to 9 degrees!.

Maybe your legs had a little tiredness from the gym, but not enough for you to notice any specific DOMS.   My legs feel fine but found the last part of my run today hard, I think that was from the gym on Friday.

11 miles today, 5 miles flattish and 6 miles hilly 876ft altogether.   Was 1396 feet when I measured the route on mapometer yesterday, that's 59% difference which is crazy.   In retrospect I should have done the route the other way round as there were 3 killer hills in the last 3 miles and my legs were tiring.   Had some unexpected drizzle which was pleasantly cooling as humidity was high again today.   That gives me a nice 50 miles for the week. 

Gym later this morning  :)
  • Options
    Well, the hills at the end will certainly test your fitness, eh?

Felt a bit better this morning so decided I would have a stab at the Vet Runners UK 15K. I've not run a 15K since my first proper year of racing (2015 - I'd done several races before this but I'd had a lot of downtime due to injuries and my parents dying, so 2015 was when it kicked off properly. Did 8 half marathons that year and signed up for my first marathon, which I did the following year). Back then my goal was to break 90 minutes, which I did.
    I wasn't expecting to be particularly fast today but I was hoping to run it at around 9 min/mi pace (which is my marathon PB pace, more or less). I did a warm-up mile then restarted my watch and began in earnest.
    First three miles were below 9 but then my pace dropped over 9 minutes and after another mile at the same pace I revised my target to sub-9:15. I kept to that until 8 miles but I was finding it hard work and the last full mile was 9:21. I manage to up my pace to sub-9 again for the last third of a mile and came in at 1:24:53.
    I'm not unhappy with that due to the injury downtime, the shingles and the poor sleep (not to mention two other hard efforts this week plus a hill run) but I am clearly a fair bit away from peak fitness.
    I don't use a chest HRM but the HR given by the watch was pretty high - 170s on average, which is more what I'd expect for an all-out 5K.
    It was nice and fresh this morning so I can't blame the heat but I really do need to get more sleep, I think.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - that's a great run today from you.   Hope it's cooler tonight with you too so you can get some better sleep.

Yes, it's a good test to have the harder part of my run in the latter miles.   It is good training and even today I felt I could have carried on for a few more miles it's my legs that are a bit glycogen depleted and that really shows on the hills.   
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    This website has some decent calculators including weight/pace

https://runbundle.com/tools/
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Cal: great work on the 15k race. Well done. Thank you. I've got two huskies and they're my pride and joy. 

Shades: great outing from you this morning. That's some elevation! I just checked mine and it was 31m in total! 

I did my 25k this morning but felt good so continued to 27k /17 miles. Still felt strong and did 10miles with the baby jogger/7miles alone with the last 4miles at marathon pace/aimed pace. Managed to have a good lunch recovery and just managed an afternoon walk so I'm feeling really strong. 
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Cal/Shades/Emmy - Great runs. How do you get on with the baby jogger Emmy? Think our littlest is probably getting on a bit to use it (she’s 1.5) but i have considered it. Not sure it would help with the HR training!

12 miles today at 10:11min/mi and with minimal cardiac drift in the last couple of miles so happy with that. Wanted to go a bit longer but was running late to meet up with family. Bought more doughnuts 😬
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Rcouture: I do a lot of runs with it as it's so easy. I have a croozer but do a lot with the out n about. I've been using it regularly and evelyn is 4.5years. it can be tiring, especially in the wind. 

How many doughnuts? And how many are left ;-) that's great pacing!

Here's a pic of our croozer with the dogs. 

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - I think I'm right in saying that that's the best long run you've had for a while.   :). Just coming together for you at the right time too.

That croozer is a serious bit of kit.

Rcouture- another good long run from you and impressive with the lack of cardiac drift.

You've earned the doughnuts.😃

If you got a couple of huskies to pull you and the buggy along don't think it would affect your HR training at all 😉
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: this is the second this cycle but am happy with how its going. I got everything right today (thankfully)
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Emmy - interesting that you’re still using it even with the little one at that age. I’ve only really seen runners with babies in them for the most part. Will look into it although with eldest back in school soon, should be less of an issue. 

4 doughnuts purchased, two consumed so far 😬

I’m not quite sure what to do now with no race on the horizon. Do I just try and average 40-50 mpw until Brighton in April next year at MAF and see how fast I can get? I’m very nervous about introducing any faster stuff at all like tempo running and ruin the benefits from the last 3 months. At the same time I think 40–50mpw is about the max I can do for a long period without impacting work/family time so think I could only do more than that for a specific marathon block. Just not sure what to do in the months to come since the focus so far has been on increasing mileage to this level. Maybe adding a bit to long runs every week? Though even that will eventually hit 20miles pretty soon and then what. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rcouture- Have you looked at runthrough-They are starting events again up here and I know they do lots down south,that will help keep motivation and variety up for you.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Rcouture - yes, Ian's right, see if you can find a shorter than marathon race to do.   It doesn't really matter what it is but it will give you something to look forward to and enjoy.

There's no need to introduce faster stuff like tempo runs, you don't enjoy them so don't do them.  

What you can do when you feel ready is to do an occasional run where you let your HR go up by say 5-8 BPM, not for the whole run.  You could do this on a hillier route if you wish and this would enable you to run the uphills.  Or on a flattish route and you just increase the speed a little for the middle part of the run.   Doing this won't feel like speedwork.  You could do up to two of these runs every week, in a few weeks you'll find your speed increases on the higher HR section.

There's no need to increase your weekly mileage or the distance of your long runs right now.

Meanwhile eat those doughnuts 😆
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Ian/Shades - It’s true that there’s nothing to stop me doing a bunch of halves. I’m not bothered about them being weird and socially distanced, just not the main event! Will look into it. Maybe one every 6-8 weeks. Combine that with some strides once or twice a week as you suggest and that should hopefully be as much speedy stuff as I need. Both my previous HMs have been Runthrough events and they seem very good. Thanks. 
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Rcouture: Ive been using it since my youngest was 16 weeks (the croozer has a special baby attachment). I take them as needed as unless my husband takes them, I've got no childcare and sometimes I just need a run. Although pushing 45kg is a big strength training
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Good running everyone.  Rcouture, as mentioned, finishing some other races is a great way to keep up the motivation.

I had planned a long run today around the SWCP but it didn't go as planned.  I nearly turned around after 3 miles and maybe I should have as the last 4 or 5 were basically walking.  I was very tired from the start (not sleeping too well again at the moment) and I took a shortcut towards the end, ending on 17.5-miles (3200ft), rather than 20.  Basically, in hindsight I should have just binned it from a running point of view, but it was such a lovely morning and the route is stunning so I was hopeful that a few miles into the run I'd get my running mojo, but it never came.

Strangely, I did enjoy it still, and I took some pics, stopped when I wanted, had my breakfast, bought a coffee and walked whilst drinking that etc etc.  There was another runner coming the opposite way basically doing the same route that I had planned but in reverse.  We stopped for a little chat, which was nice, and she looked like she was a great runner as when I saw her she was powering up one of the hills that I'd have been walking for sure!  I'll do it again definitely as I love these types of runs, but today just wasn't my day.  I expect it'll be a rest day tomorrow, or if I do go out it'll just be for a leg loosener.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G: sorry to hear about your crap run. It seems like you had a lovely day out regardless. That's some beautiful pictures too
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-17.5 with that much climb shouldn't be classed as a bad run.
    12 miles after work with 10@MP,must say it all felt controlled,didn't do my self any favours by starting and ending on an uphill but all good.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, that's true I suppose.  I really enjoy these routes so it's nice being out there regardless, but usually I run much more of it than I did today!  
  • Options
    Sorry your run didn't go to plan, Big G, but damn, those are some views! You are so lucky to have that scenery to run in.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, yeah, we're very lucky here.  I'll have to take my phone with me on my regular trail route that I do, as that's stunning too.  It's a bit of way from the coast, but some nice views of fields and the sea.  Not really sure if the pics would come out though.

I see Relish Running events are on, starting 16th August.  Individual start times with people going out every 30-secs, with distances from 5k to 50k.  
    http://www.relishrunningraces.com/two-tunnels-plan-b.php

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - 45 kg must make that some workout, I thought you might have trained the dogs to take some of the weight.

Big G - I had a bad first few miles to my run yesterday, was very humid and that probably didn't help you in the early stages either.  You had already done a long run this week plus your very fast time trial so no wonder you were a little tired.   Good for you sticking it out for 17.5 miles, so another long run done.   Lovely photos.

I spent quite a while looking at the logistics of the Two Tunnels race last night.   I'm not keen on the park and ride and the 2 bus journeys.   I've done the 50km there before and really liked it, but then the 50km runners had our own car park near the start, didn't happen any later years so I didn't race there again, also as it was impossible to get reasonably priced accommodation in/near Bath in August.   But this year prices are much cheaper and even a Travelodge on the M4 for £30 (if you're interested).   It's not too far to drive on the day when I did it I had to be there at 7a.m. but that won't happen this year.
    Anyway after great deliberation I've decided not to do it.   If you are interested the course is out and back, 4 times for the marathon, very hard good trail and tarmac.   2 tunnels to go through each way, one is very long and plays chamber music.   It's sort of like Plym Trail course but no hills, flat and fast.   Very good race organisers and from what I've read about their Covid plans they're really thought of everything.

8 miles for me today, only 10 degrees so cool and fresh.   I did a Big G today ;) and when I realised I was on the route I'd used for my one and only MAF test and conditions were identical I decided on the hoof to do another MAF test.    As mentioned before my pace has slipped over the last couple of months so have been working to get that back where it was and the last week or so I'm starting to see improvements as shown today.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done on the MAF test Shades.  Great to see some improvement there.

Regarding Two Tunnels, I've discounted it too.  I was looking at the Half, which in the afternoon, so in theory could have gone up in the morning, but also didn't like the idea of the bus.  This is just an observation and it's not a criticism as it's great these races are being put on, but it feels more like an individual time trial than a race to me.  But I know this is the "new normal" and I will probably enter something similar if the logistics work for me.

There seems to be some chat that Swindon Half is going to happen.  Nothing on their website or Facebook group as yet, but apparently they sent an email out which seemed very hopeful.  I'm getting updates from their Facebook page now and it works for me in terms of dates (Sept 20) but I want to see the logistics first as I believe it's usually quite a big event.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - agree the Two Tunnels is a bind travel wise.   I would do the event again, the tunnels are amazing, but only if I could stay within walking distance of the start.   There's no parking and it's not possible to park on the nearby streets so would have to book 2 nights in a hotel to be able to leave my car at the hotel during the race.

I did Chippenham half a couple of years ago, was the same day as Swindon, don't know if that's going ahead.  Fast course, my best half time for a few years.

Yes, pleased with the MAF test as my legs were very tired this morning from first mile.   They were knackered by the 8th mile.

Just done Pilates, great class.  Lots of tough hip and adductor work.
  • Options
    Nice bit of progress there, Shades.

Resting today (I did a 4.5 mile walk) but I need some advice. I still need to do a half marathon for the Vet Runners "olympics". Looking at the weather this week, tomorrow is the best day (13 degrees, no wind) and then it goes downhill after that. Wednesday is 16 degrees but much breezier, and after that the days are warmer and muggier. (Obviously I am going by the 6am temps - it's going to hit 30s again during the warmest parts of the day. And that will also impact my sleep towards the end of the week).
    So the ideal thing would be to do it tomorrow, but I'm a bit concerned that it's only two days after the 15K.
    The other decision I need to make is whether to try for a decent time (obviously not a PB time, but be nice to do a sub-2), say to hell with it and run at an easy pace, or somewhere in between.
    These events have no prizes or anything and are just for fun but I have my pride. :D
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - I would do it tomorrow as long as you feel fresh and raring to go.

But if you feel tired it will have to be in less favourable conditions.

Re pace, just see how you feel at the time.