Overdone it?

Comments

• Sounds lovely - have you always lived down there or just moved recently?
  • Tommy2DTommy2D ✭✭✭
    I moved down just before lockdown. Will be back in Nottingham regularly for work so will likely to still meet up with Bob for the odd run (or more likely to watch cricket). 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Is that a permanent move, Tommy or just to ride out lockdown? We are off on hoks to Dartmoor mid August, got one of those cabins with a hot tub. 

4.4m yesterday at easy followed by 45 min easy turbo then today 39 mins with 5 x 3 min at tempo so came out 5.1m, folliwed by getting straight on turbo for a 30 min gradual cooldown. Tomorrow is just a turbo interval session before a few days of double sessions run/bike prior to hols. 

Whilst the easy paces seem to be acceptable, the tempo stuff will take some getting used to. i was feeling pretty leggy by the last two reps. I anticipate being largely back to a full training schedule by start of September, subject to the below. 

My MRI scan has been moved to Thursday evening so ought to at least hear if there's still a fracture or not by Saturday. 
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    I actually quite like the tempo stuff when I’m doing it but can rarely be arsed but I know I’d probably come on leaps and bounds if I did some regularly.
    And also if I did some miles at all.
    And of course Tommy is right, 15 IS better than a duck egg.

3 runs this week 3.5, 4 and 5 

pom poms at the ready skinny ....

• Must have been strange moving to a new place and then lockdown happening.

Good luck with the scan tonight DT.

Well done mace - sensible distances too.

Last night my easier session was supposed to be 8 miles at Steady (7:10 - 7:40) within a 10 mile run.

Was driving back home and sun came out so stopped off at Ullswater and ran most of miles on road but detoured off to go partway up a fell for 3 miles which were hard running but much slower paces. 5 of the 8 were at Steady paces though so session deemed done.

7:19, 9:32, 8:55, 8:38, 7:32, 6:45 (largely downhill), 7:25, 7:16

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

eagerly awaiting feedback on it now!

Good going, Mace, jut keep that consistency.

Nice session, Skinny.

Easy 35m run yesterday. Off out lunchtime for 40 mins with 5 x 4m at tempo so should net me just over 5 miles.

• Any results DT?

Week 4 cutback week complete.

0,5,10,0,7,0,8 for 30.

40 easy miles target for next week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I feel a bit duped. I was persuaded to move MRI from Saturday to Thursday as the consultant could do report friday and I'd hear back by Saturday. When i arrive for MRI I'm told dr it's assigned to is back on monday!

Anyway, 24 miles this week with 35 mins at tempo effort so half way to normality in a sense. 

Next week inaway Monday to friday so nominal running then I'll hopefully pick things up towards normality after that. 
  • Back up to 30 miles this week.

In other news... I've entered a race in August. An actual running race, with other people and prizes and timing. Literally pinching self.  :D
  • That is exciting Rich - where is it and how far? How are they dealing with restrictions?

Well Mace - did you get that fourth run in?See the source image
  • Skinny - good to see the consistency continue. Would you have imagined you'd be posting about a 30 mile cut back week 12 months ago?!

DT - hope you get your results soon. It seems life in general is an huge exercise in patience for a lot of people at the moment. Hopefully yours pays off before long.

Mace - don't leave us hanging!

Tommy - you've moved to a great part of the country for cycling (and trail running). I was in Somerset for a few years and enjoyed regular trips to Dartmoor, Exmoor and The Quantocks, all highly recommended whether road biking, mountain biking or running. 

The race: It's a little club organised 5 miler about half an hour from me in Camross on 22nd August. They are planning a grid type starting area so everyone starts 2m apart. Waves every 3 minutes depending on predicted finish time. I'll have to check out the Athletic Ireland guidance for more info - presumably they can't expect runners to maintain 2m distance during the race. There were 170 finishers last year so it's a small enough event.
  • No absolutely not Rich - my first 30+ week in over 3 years was w/e 10th May and now last 12 have been average of 32.5.

With a field that size you'd think a 5 mile race would be manageable with a good layout at the start and everyone being scheduled for numbers pick ups etc too.

10 people going off at a time sounds better than going to supermarket.
  • They're actually posting the numbers out. As for being well organised at the start... This is rural Ireland, we will see  :D
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    That is exciting Rich - where is it and how far? How are they dealing with restrictions?

Well Mace - did you get that fourth run in?See the source image
    Yes I did !!

Although I haven’t run since as both of us have been feeling like shite since Saturday. So rough over the weekend that we went for CV-19 tests yesterday evening which came back negative  this morning.

i really do seem to have something going on every few weeks !!

• Well done Mace - sorry you're ill - I woke up last night sweating and with a headache and lay there for about half an hour presuming I had the 'vid but was fine when I woke up this morning.

My week has got off to a bad start running wise with a blank on Monday so it's gone
    0,4,2 but I'm going to risk a cheeky double and run the 4 home tonight to get back on track - can't think the 2 this morning will put me at too much risk.
  • Did you survive the cheeky double Skinny?

Hope you are feeling better Mace?

Any news on the MRI DT?

Well I finally bit the bullet last night and went to my first ever club run. Was a very low key speed session on a grass track - 5*200, 2*500, 400, 600 all with walked recoveries. All pretty comfortable between 6:00 and 6:30 minute pace and kept up with the front lads, although I think the really quick guys meet on Tuesdays. I have to say i really enjoyed it. It's also given me the opportunity for a 5k handicap meet against another local club in a weeks time. 
  • Yes - in the end it was only 2 + 3 for a total of 5 but provided I get the planned 10 in tonight then I can add the missing 1 on to tomorrow.

Please the club session was a positive experience Rich - sounds like Ireland is well ahead of us in getting back to normal. Such a big advantage being an island I suppose unlike the rest of the UK....oh.
  • Hmm this weeks been messy for me against the schedule.

Was supposed to be 4,2,11,2,6,0,15 but has become 0,4,2+3,6,10 but back on schedule now with just the 0 and 15 to do.

Would ideally have more gap between the 10 and the 15 but work is a bit hectic.

Anyway I enjoyed my 10 before work in the beautiful, warm, early morning sunshine - if only Carlisle had more than a handful of days like this a year.
  • MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hi folks.  Just stuck my head round the door to read the last couple of pages back, sounds like Mace and DT are well on the comeback trail. 

Skinny, loving reading about your mileage, and I've been thoroughly enjoying early 10 milers in the sun lately too.

Rich, well done making it to club - ours has just resumed but mostly as a bit of a free for all social thing.  

Muddy, hope things improve soon, sounds like patience and rest are the best game plan, doctors never really seem to know what to do with runners...

Running has been basically my only activity outside work and childcare the last few weeks so mileage has been pretty decent (some with the buggy, including a marathon with Mr Mad where we swapped every mile, and as much as I can possibly manage without), but quality somewhat absent.  Which means that while I am entirely convinced London is off, I had a bit of a shock when I remembered I had entered Blackpool as a back-up, and they are confidently expecting to be on...  So I may have to run a flat marathon in 7 weeks  :# 
  • Hi Madbee - a marathon including half pushing a buggy just for fun - respect.

i can’t see how Blackpool can be on - it’s out and back and two laps as well isn’t it? (Lap is probably the wrong description as it’s up and down the seafront I think?)

Week 5 negotiated for me.

0, 4, 2+3, 6, 10, 0, 15 - all easy miles for a 40 total.

Next week I think it’s a continuous 6 with 3 at MP followed by 3 at HMP which sounds  tougher than what I’ve done up to now.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done, Skinny. Building very nicely.

Madbee, you seem to be going well from what I see on strava.

Rich, good shout on joining the club, won't do you nay harm at all.

Annoyingly no news on mri, however I was on holiday last week in Weymouth (very nice area btw!) and was off plan so did a few runs approaching 6m without any issue.

Had a chat with Lewis about my frustration of limited running when feeling absolutely fine (the good thing with a stress fracture is that it is fixed or it isn't so once fixed you can move forwards quicker that say a  tendon issue) so agreed we would start kicking on. Went out for an 8 miler Saturday as a tester which went well so 24m last week.

This week has 31 with a 10m sunday. Hoping by early September to be running a normal week so 45m with 2 sessons and a decent long run.

• PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Thought it was time for one of my occasional posts.   Good to see mace, DT and, especially, skinny on the road to recovery.  Hope it won't be too long before muddy joins you.

Hi to Madbee, Rich, Tommy and anyone else who remembers me.

I seem to have regained my running mojo and managed 53km last week for my highest total in 18 months. Wasn't just a blip either as I did 184km during July.  Seems like ditching the HR monitor was a good idea!

Main other news is that we are in the process of selling our house and swapping North Wigan for South Wales so probably no more Lancaster races.  Races, yes, I can vaguely remember those :)
  • Hi Pete

Good kilometreage (sp??)

Why South Wales? Family down there or simply because it's a beautiful part of the UK?

DT nearly there now - sounds like you are on the rapid increase accelerator now if you are planning 45 and 2 sessions a week by September which is good news. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Pete, some excellent km'age there!! Yes i'm intrigued as to the sth wales move?

I took my mate out lunchtime for 4m easy. He has recently started running so runs everything at capacity. Plan was to show him how to run slowly. His best pavement 10k is 48.xx. Somehow ended up running 4m at 7.22 average which presented a reasonable sub mp short tempo for me and 45m 10k pace for him!!

We'll try again Thursday!

Well we have taken physio advice and it is very much that once a fracture has repaired it's solid and you can ramp things up pretty quickly subject to a few basic rules on increasing mileage etc.

• Hi Pete, where abouts in SWales? I lived on the Gower side of Swansea for a few years and very much enjoyed it as I was kitesurfing a lot at the time
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    We lived near Abergavenny for 10 happy years while the kids were growing up.  Elder daughter and family are moving from London to Cardiff in two weeks.  We have good friends in Bristol area too so lots of positives.  Can't believe we have been in Wigan for fifteen years!
  • PeteHewPeteHew ✭✭✭
    Hi Pete, where abouts in SWales? I lived on the Gower side of Swansea for a few years and very much enjoyed it as I was kitesurfing a lot at the time

Gower is beautiful.  Had a few holidays in Mumbles.
  • kevin70kevin70 ✭✭✭

Thread moving along nicely with others back too :)

How's Muddy?

Into  week 3 of a return to running, hopefully building up the mileage again. Physio didn't have much to say as injury was away :s

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Just need to be patient now and build up slowly, Kevin.

ive seen muddy pop up in strava running a little this week. 

My first session of sorts today which coincided with me attending the office so I popped down the race course like old times!!

2m wu then 3 x 1m at tempo with 1m easy recovery. Reps came in 6.37, 6.30 and 6.36 which I was pretty chuffed with as HR was in the 150-160 zone for each rep. Legs were tired by last rep but then that’s also my 2nd longest run in nearly 5 months.

Not as unfit as I feared. 
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Yes, Mumbles is nice and I have relatives in Abergavenny and in Abertillery. Spent many holidays down that way as a kid, Playing up the mountains and on slag heaps !!

After 10(ish?) days off I got out for 3M yesterday morning. Hoping to get a decent block with no problems now.