Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    TR - well done on the long run with MP.
    Ian - that's a good solid block of high mileage training. Time for the taper.
    DT - looking pretty good now. Were you given any indication how long you might have to wait for the MRI result? Carry on with the sensible build-up.
    Took a rest day yesterday and 8 slow miles this morning makes 65 for the week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's a significant weight loss Ian. It will really improve your running, just  need to make sure you keep a balanced diet and are not overdoing it. All of my best periods of running coincide with feeling light on my feet due to weight loss, but it's not risk free.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Fair point then DT, thats probably a good plan and will set you up for 2021.

Gul - are you considering Boston agsin if there's no vlm?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Great to hear you are good to go,nice to have long term plans,this break may end up being good as it gives your body a reset .
    TR-nice casualy 19 with a HM at MP thrown in,well set up for whatever happens.
    OO-I've not changed my diet in the slightest,but to be fair you can't call it particularly healthy or balanced,still have my 2 small chocolate bars every day with my lunch at work.Think it's just the extra miles has kicked my metabolism into another gear.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    That's a good increase in the monthly mileage Ian and with the weight loss you should be flying come race day.  Just need to let the taper do it's work.

Good miles for the week Gul.

Looks like you're back in business DT - hopefully the MRI scan confirms.

That's a very impressive MP long run TR - 13 miles at that pace is very good going.

20 miles early evening.  Struggling a bit with the motivation, so the initial pace was a bit sluggish.  At the 7K point, another runner appeared 20 meters ahead.  Without much effort the pace increased by 15 seconds per kilometre, although he left my route just after 8K when I was poised to overtake him.   At least I was now back on track with the pace and the remainder of the run felt much more enjoyable.  At 15 miles, I thought I'd try pushing the pace up.  Managed 2 miles at 6:47 but by then I was running uphill and in to the wind and didn't have the mental strength to maintain the effort.  So a few steady miles to bring me home in an average pace of 7:48. 

81 miles for the week, that's the third in a row, so time for a cut-back week.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    TR - I hadn't realised Boston had rescheduled for Sep until SBD mentioned it, I think. But it falls on last day of our holidays so even though we'll be back I won't enter this year.
    SBD - solid 20 miler and yet another great week. Enjoy the cut back.
    12 miles this morning. 4 slow, 4 easy and 4 steady. Saw three herons by the river, several deer in the woods and a hare crossing my path into a field.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good going SBD, those are impressive miles. I scraped 54, but got a sore foot along the way so may cut back this week.
    We were planning to use my Berlin flights for a much needed holiday in September, but Easyjet just cancelled the flights 😔
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gul - fair dos then, thats the wrong time to run a marathon for sure.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - shame about your flights.
    TR - it was more about not spoiling the holiday really and keeping the weekend free :)
    9 easy miles d&d.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I have a very important visit in work this week so very little running,I did 10@MP on Sunday and it went fine,all good and controlled without feeling stressed.
    10 mile still looks good for Sunday,I know everyone is different but,about what time do you think is indicative of 3hr pace? I'm thinking about 1:02:30 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ian, I've never managed a sub 63 10 miler (except in my last half mara in Feb) and would say sub 64 would be fine if you've done the long work.

Some good consistent stuff, Gul.

Nice work on the 20 SBD.

Pretty chuffed with my first attempt at a session. I had to come to the office today so decided to make a return to the race course. 2m wu then  5m alternating between tempo and easy. Splits came out 6.37, 8.14, 6.31, 8.18, 6.36. Legs were getting tired by the last rep but that isn't surprising as I've barely run beyond 5m since march. Hr for the reps was all below the magic 160 as well so pretty encouraging given i'm still a good7lb over weight. Not as unfit as I had anticipated.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good going DT not too shabby at all.
    I'm sure your capable of 62 Ian, it's just a question of how hard you're willing to push yourself so close to the mara....
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Don't need to worry about it now as Reykjavik have just cancelled, have to say I'm gutted about it,was pretty sure it was good to go.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    ah, gutted for you mate. You were really in that peak flow! How odd to cancel so late. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Ian that is terrible news....
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-They said they have had a spike,its 2 clusters with about 12 people affected,and they don't want to affect school opening and the start of winter sports training.
    Offered a full refund,hotel was cancellable and can swap the flights so no financial loss but gutting,let's hope boston UK gets the go ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes and that’ll no doubt be the problem moving forwards sadly. At least you lost no cash and have a back up kicking about. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    That's really bad news Ian - and so close!  Are you going taper for the weekend and give the 10 miler a real go?

Hard to see London doing anything but an elite only circuit at best.  It's going to start to get messy in September once the Schools have gone back and they may even have sealed off London by October! 

A steady 10 miles early evening.  Almost had a rest day but the streak, now at 266 days, kept me honest.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-With work being as it is it will be a good taper,can't run until Thursday so will just do a few miles Thursday and Friday,then day off Saturday,so hoping to give it a good go.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Indeed Ian, I expect full guns blazing 👍
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Ian - oh no, that's so cruel. Gutted for you. Hope you can smash it on Sunday as a consolation.
    DT - great return to some tempo work 
    SBD - yes, you've got to keep that streak going now.
    15 miles this morning.3 @ 8:56, 4 @ 8:24, 4 @ 7:52 and 4 @ 7:21.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Oh no, Ian! Really sorry to hear the race has gone. You're in fantastic nick and have put an incredible training block together. Taper down and smash that 10 miler at the weekend.

Solid as ever, Gul, nice 15.

Smashing stuff from DT, must be really pleased how you've managed this, well done, mate.

Weird period for me. Have been feeling strange for a few weeks with aches in my thighs that aren't DOMS and generally feeling weird. the weekend before last my taste seemed to go funny when eating bread and wheat based products. 
    I wondered if I may have a gluten intolerance and to cut a long story short, I think I have. In lockdown I've been eating toast everyday and baking my own bread at weekends, especially sourdough.

I cut it out last week, leg ache started to go. Had toast on Friday and a pizza and it came back.
    Was supposed to do a 15 on Saturday but after chucking up after 3 miles I nearly went home, but had a drink and just bolted miles on close to home so I could bail if I needed to.
    Got 13 done in the end.

Backed it up with 7 on Sunday to get my 20 mile weekend target done.

Have avoided all things gluten since and had a good 6 miler last night and an 8 this morning, both on the trails with some quick bits thrown in.

I don't think I have ceoliac or anything, I think I just had a gluten build up and triggered the intolerance that I've suspected for a few years.
    Speaking to the Doc tomorrow and will then re-introduce some gluten products back to the diet. 

On the plus side, my weight after the run this morning was 174lbs, so I'm bang on target race weight! A false positive I think but even if I'm a pound or two over that, I'm on target, just in time for the cancellation on Friday!  :D
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - good detective work. Hope it's manageable without too much hassle.
    16 slow to easy miles this morning.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Just seen a post on sub 3 thread saying Boston Mara was grilled yesterday and given green light. 

Nice 16 Gul.

gdawg, my weight is responding now to increased running so edging down. 4lb off, 4lb to go to get to my usual maintenance weight. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    The Times is saying they expect a multi lap elites race in a Royal Park to be announced, which is what we expected.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    My coach works closely with Steve Cram who has some involvement and he has said similar. I think there were bigger plans prior to last Friday.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good news on the weight, DT.
    I did a proper weigh-in today and was 12st 9lb (177lbs / 80kg). Bang on where I want to be with just 2 pounds to lose for target weight. However...

Here's the report TR mentioned:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/london-marathon-expected-to-be-replaced-by-park-race-for-elite-runners-s0zwpgn9j

I think I'll have a rest day...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Hmm that says we will be told today...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    update in. If you have a gfa from 2019 you’ll be offered guaranteed 2021 so all good and an October date. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's a long time to keep fit!!! 😉