London 2020

Comments

• I still think that travel will be an issue - thousands of runners on the trains/tubes unless they change the course. Either way it's not going to be London is it? From what I've seen of the arrangements for 'Covid safe' races - they mostly aren't races in a meaningful sense, more time trials.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    It would be amazing (and hats off to VLM) if they can make any sort of race, beyond the elite race given circumstances. A big if at the mo.  Agree with you LMH it will be a very different VLM if they do pull it off,  but that probably won't deter me if I can run it, even a closed loop going around and around.   
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    It certainly wont be the London it has been in recent years LMH, but then that might never come back again. Organisers might look to pandemic proof their events with multiple waves, dates, and even venues, simply limit numbers, and prevent as many spectators by route selection.

Like OO im in as long as its full distance and i havecsome other runners to chase. Lack of spectators is fine.
  • Nick Wicks 2Nick Wicks 2 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Someone who works for a local charity has posted on Facebook that they have been advised  that an announcement will be made on Friday morning to notify about the plans for the 2020 VLM. Will be early as there is then a webinar with the charities at 10.30am.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    That was put out as an update on 27th July.
  • The statement on the 27th said that the decision about the event would be announced by the 7th at the latest. This message to the charities today gives details about the announcement being made on Friday morning.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Friday is 7th.
    edited August 2020
    Yes I know. The message to the charities was giving exact details of when the announcement was going to be made on the 7th. The statement on the 27th simply said that the announcement would be made by the 7th at the latest.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The damage to the charities is the reason the inevitable has been put off several times. I assume they will have some sort of plan to help them out a bit.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I reckon they'll go for an elite only, multi-loop race and possibly hold a virtual event for the charity runners so they can raise their sponsorship. We'll see tomorrow morning...
    edited August 2020
    Newspapers reporting today that the VLM will be postponed until April next year and that they are trying to arrange an elite race in one of the London parks for later this year. Will find out tomorrow morning if that is all true or not.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    According to the article in the Times it says runners will find out later today, which wouldn't surprise me most announcements come a day before the set date.
  • Well I think they are having a laugh - pay £20 for a t-shirt and medal we have already bought and paid for and run a virtual race from home but we'll count the time for GFA etc? 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Some will cycle their way to GFA.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    LMH - you have to pay extra to do the virtual!!!!😮

What a bunch of crooks 

I see runners can take 24 hours to run the virtual, hardly a marathon by any description.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    The virtual will only act as gfa or champs for those with such a place in 2020 but obtained in 2018 so not qualifying them in 2021. It’s a way of giving them a chance so any abuse is limited to that pool and they have at least demonstrated a degree of ability. 

LMH- if you defer to 2021 then your money pays for that t and medal or you can take a refund.

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I understand now.  The £20 is for those that have already deferred to 2021 but want to run the virtual.  Expensive training run.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Most sensible part is to keep it as Oct. Still might have to reduce numbers though.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The £20 is for anyone who wants to run the virtual and us an additional fee. 
  • I thought the deferral was free and the £20 was to buy the medal and t-shirt for this year? What I haven’t worked out yet is can Idefer a GFA place until 2022.
  • Ok I think I have it. I can have a general entry for 2022.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    No, gfa places when deferred have to be live and valid for the year it is being deferred to. It stops people getting 3 years out of a gfa time. You’d have needed to have obtained the time in 2020. 
  • Guess I may as well take a refund and run a marathon in the next year and apply again for a GFA for 2022 - assuming I’m still running by then!
  • That's not what the FAQs say though, DT19 - "Runners who qualified for the 2020 event with a time achieved before 1 January 2019, but who do not achieve a qualifying time again in 2021 or 2022, will be offered a guaranteed place in the 2023 event. Please note this guaranteed place will not be on a Good for Age start or the Championship start."

They don't say anything about GFA qualifying times achieved in the virtual event being limited to those already with an earlier GFA time.  At least I can't find it.  In any case it's open to abuse.  Qualifying using GPS measurements shouldn't be allowed.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Cd, yes I’ve read further now and it seems anyone with a virtual place can go for gfa. At least availability is limited and it only qualifies them for 2021

i notes the point re 2023 guaranteed, but  I think that’s different to what LMH was asking as it isn’t a deferral it’s just giving those whose gfa has expired for 2021 and who don’t attain in virtual the guaranteed option to run 2023. 
  • I was on BBC Five Live at 6:05pm giving my reaction as a pacer.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I suppose thisdecision was inevitable and the move to October 2021 a sensible one.  At least we all know now and can refocus our training/ expectations. That virtual GFA entry process looks dodgy.  The elite race running 19.8 laps of St James Park!!! 
  • Latest from me is that i have a place in the virtual through my charity, and they have also deferred me to 2021. 
    I had already deferred to April 2021, so nice they've given me the same year. 
    Only thing now is I have less than 8 weeks to train for the virtual. 
    i'm picking up a training plan from week 5 which will give me 2 x 16 mile long runs, that should allow me to complete it ok. A few weeks back i ran a HM on 2 consecutive days, so should have the legs to get me home. 
    I got a 10k loop i'll run which starts at my house, so won't have to carry anything. 

• I'm sure you can cover the distance in 24 hours portlanders.