My Last Run

Comments

• HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Getting behind again..

Not so great news with the shingles Cal, hope it heals fast. Doesn't seem to be holding you back much though and if you can manage without I would avoid the docs. Good you know the new setup at the gym so you can book accordingly. Good outing today and I hope it doesn't get too hot.

Spiders are useful and errm interesting GD. I hate hornets and used to be terrified of wasps. No harm in running slower for a chat but careful with the cyclists.

Must look up Chick Castle JD, just for the name. Wish we had some mud here too. Nice 10 miler and I hope the muscle stops hurting soon.

Pre-work run of around 10-11 miles yesterday morning, down the hill, along the brook (a couple of herons spotted) turn around and back up the hill in 1:31. Much less humid and a light breeze so easier running despite the warmth.

This morning a recovery 4 and a bit around the local fields. Had to hop over a couple of manhole covers to avoid some still hot fresh tarmac.  Surprisingly 2 coffees and a croissant eaten an hour earlier stayed quiet. Was expecting grumblings.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    Back to high humidity and already over 20 degrees before 8am so this morning's recovery (a bit under 5 miles) was a bit sweaty. 

Finished with 6 x strides, walked back to the start of each which I think is a better idea - it should be about form and not about getting them done as quickly as possible.

Bird spots: a few storks, a couple of buzzards, a female yellowhammer (I think).
    Runners: 2
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    If the pain is the same as my shoulder blade issue the week before last, JD, hopefully it'll sort itself out after a couple of days or so. From intense pain to hardly noticed it in 24 hours, which was good. Good 10 miles, although shame about the mud.

I freeze when I see a spider, Cal. I'd consider selling up if I had to deal with them all the time. Great work on the 8 miler and also for getting a Strava crown. Hopefully the 5K walk and the gym session went well.

Nice couple of run, Hazelnut, even if it's warming up again. Very toasty here today. It was 20C when I went to the gym at 6am and had gone up to 24C an hour later. Just went into the garden to have a cuppa and it's even warmer now.

Group speed session yesterday evening, which consisted of sprints which increased in intensity and distance during the 35 minutes we were out. We used a side road leading up to the South Downs which was at an incline, so we would be sprinting up and down hill. The temperature was at 26C, so it turned out to be a really tough session with one of the group feeling light headed and sick after one particularly intense interval. I have to say I felt I struggled with this one and the sprints didn't flow as I'd have hoped.

Gym this morning with a concentration on leg exercises, so may feel those tomorrow.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Shingles is no fun at all, Cal.  It got me for the first time before Christmas - a tiny rash but an out-of-it feeling.  AntiBiotics saw it off but I'm sure your decision to stay away from where ill people are is wise.

In mouse news, the one I ordered thro' the Bay of E has just arrived!  Cheery postie is sporting his wide-brimmed John Wayne hat.

The currant bum is out in earnest today: 27 deg. C on the Costa del Crosby!  I'll postpone my return to running until tomorrow :-)  

Guarddog: I'm with you in being reluctant to see off a small beastie.  Peter Green material's been on repeat the past fews days, mostly his earlier work with Fleetwood Mac.  His insight into playing the blues combined with such a sweet tone, rather different from Clapton's 'up to 11' playing with Cream, breathtaking as that is.

Was it Chirk Castle, JD1?  There was/is a 10k there that my former club used to do - never got there myself.

Three days at the gym consecutively, and more than a hint of DOMS today!  Very few in for the last hour y'day: just the 2 of us when I decided to leave.  Thinking of a ten-minute outing to assess the piriformis recovery - early on, probably by the sea.  Here's a pic from a few days ago.

• mcjocmcjoc ✭✭
    Glad I got out early this morning, 32 deg C here and I think that would end me! Just my usual out and back 5k in 22:45 but all but the first couple of minutes had my little heart above 170 :#
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Good 5 Miler Cal,I don't think I've ever raced 5 before,you don't see many around.Well done  on your Strava crown as well.Hope your shingles have calmed down.

Extremely hot over here as well Hazelnut.Nice few runs as well,you're streak keeps on going.That should've been Chirk not Chick castle!

Well done on the tough interval session GD,not easy in these conditions.Gyms in Wales reopen on the 10th,which is good news, I get bored of doing push ups and kettle bell workouts at home,there's always a distraction as well.

Good that you're going to the gym Swittle.Pre lockdown there's a free 10k trail race every month at Chirk castle,organized by National Trust.Fantastic photo,best one so far!

I took the girls to Barmouth beach yesterday,so it was a very rare 6 in the morning 8 miles.Other runners had the same idea,some I haven't seen for a while.

Driving to Barmouth, I was waiting at a roundabout,when a buzzard jumped out of a tree straight on to its prey,not sure exactly what it was,but the kids were impressesd. 

• Cal JonesCal Jones ✭✭✭
    33 degrees here at the moment - I'm indoors with the shutters shut so it's a bit cooler in my flat. Unfortuantely it's west facing so I'll get the sun full bore this evening and I expect I'll be trying to sleep in 30 degree heat. Super.

Gym for me today too - full body but not too heavy until I get back into it as I don't want to be walking like the Tin Man tomorrow.

Lovely photo, swittle.
  • ran at noon today around the common, had to stop after 10 mins, then every few minutes afterwards for the next 20. horrible horrible run. I hate running in the heat.
  • Welcome AgentGinger - which common is that? I always try to get out as early as possible to avoid getting too hot but it was 18 degrees and humid before 6am this morning. Had a very leaden-footed run - no energy at all. Didn't sleep well last night so I put it down to that.
  • More pleasant run tonight. 60 min plod around Tooting and Clapham Commons. Much more manageable at 9pm than in the midday heat yesterday. I should learn from experience that I don’t fare well in the heat. Might have to plan some v early or late runs next weekend when it heats up again 
  • Oh you're in my manor, AgentGinger. Tooting is my closest common - Clapham and Wandsworth are a mile from me. It's definitely cooler today but will be hot again at the end of the week, for longer too, which I am not looking forward to at all.

Felt a bit better this morning so decided I would have a stab at the Vet Runners UK (Facebook Group) 15K. I've not run a 15K since my first proper year of racing (2015 - I'd done several races before this but I'd had a lot of downtime due to injuries and my parents dying, so 2015 was when it kicked off properly. Did 8 half marathons that year and signed up for my first marathon, which I did the following year). Back then my goal was to break 90 minutes, which I did.
    I wasn't expecting to be particularly fast today but I was hoping to run it at around 9 min/mi pace (which is my marathon PB pace, more or less). I did a warm-up mile then restarted my watch and began in earnest.
    First three miles were below 9 but then my pace dropped over 9 minutes and after another mile at the same pace I revised my target to sub-9:15. I kept to that until 8 miles but I was finding it hard work and the last full mile was 9:21. I manage to up my pace to sub-9 again for the last third of a mile and came in at 1:24:53.
    I'm not unhappy with that due to the injury downtime, the shingles and the poor sleep (not to mention two other hard efforts this week plus a hill run) but I am clearly a fair bit away from peak fitness.
    I don't use a chest HRM but the HR given by the watch was pretty high - 170s on average, which is more what I'd expect for an all-out 5K.
    It was nice and fresh this morning so I can't blame the heat but I really do need to get more sleep, I think.

• Sppedwork in the heat sounds tough GD.

I think you can be prone to shingles as you get older swittle if you have had chicken pox. My MIL has had some sort of preventative treatment but I don't recall hat exactly.  Love the Iron Man keeping his toes cool in the puddle. Good luck with your test run.

Lol to Chick and Chirk JD, thought it was a bit quirky. Nice early run and jealous of your beach trip.

Welcome to mcjoc (nice 5k time) and AgentGinger. Ouch to the midday heat running but it seems you have plans to work around it. Maybe you will see Cal out running, she is an early bird though.

Great 15k Cal, good idea to revise your target to see it through rather than having to stop. I guess that would be the easier option on a virtual run. Good analysis too.

Yesterday was supposed to see a return to pinning on a number to run. 10k hill race with around 700m of ascent, not one I have done before. Limited to 300 participants, start waves (ladies, men, walkers), plenty of space, race orga outside etc. Seemed an ideal way to check out if I felt like doing a race under the current circumstances (there are a few available). With no course PB no pressure either.

Forecast was for high temps and likely high humidity but I have raced in worse than that I found on location.  I decided to start conservatively on the first 2k along a lake, keeping in mind that there were some tough climbs to come. Nonetheless overtook a few ladies on this section. Next bit was mostly walking for me including a series of steep steps - not my favourite ground. The fast men who had started after the ladies started to catch up so on narrow bits I always had an ear open for overtakers, stepping aside as necessary.

Bit easier ground with regards to ascent followed but footing became harder on rocky trails, requiring full concentration, especially downhill.

Drinks station with equal distribution internally and externally and on through undulating meadows. Not far from 8k I could see the climb to the finish and a few ladies ahead and thought hmm I could step on it a bit and try to catch them up.  Great idea in theory but it meant I stopped concentrating, caught my foot and went flying. Cut hands, nosebleed, bruised knees badly enough I could hardly stand on the right one initially led to a DNF rather than a running finish as I felt a lot worse than after a standard hit the deck, curse, stand up and get going again fall. Patch-up and a quad ride to the finish followed.

Forgot to turn off my watch of course!

Just bruised and full of scrapes today, but not sure if I will run today so streak likely over. Never mind. Lesson learned - concentrate!
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Results of test run: back to the drawing board.
  • Hazelnut - saw that on Strava - sorry to hear it. Hope you're not banged up too badly.
    swittle, sorry to hear that too.
  • Oh no swittle.  You were doing so well.  Can you get to see a physio?

I ran after all yesterday - a short damage assessment.  Ok - right knee hurt due to the bruising but it didn't get worse during or after the run.  Will stick to gentle outings for a few days and then should be ok.  3 and a bit miles in 30:43.  Very welcome rain after a few days of heat - strong enough to be refreshing but not enough to annoy.
  • Finally decided to go for a long slow run last night after the little ones were asleep. Aimed to keep at around 140-145 bpm to stay around 70-75% of HR max. Successful for the most part despite a fairly hilly route and ended up carrying on for 15k in 1:34:36.

6:18 kms felt pretty slow but I guess that's why I need to sort out my aerobic base :yikes:

My legs know they've been for a run and my knees are complaining a little but it isn't as bad as i was expecting, looks like I'll I have to keep this up.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Welcome to this thread, mcjoc.  Good distance & an encouraging time.

Too much, too soon for me - well, it wouldn't be too much, too young, would it?
    Ice and hotty watty bottle and some gentle figure-of-four leg strengthening.  Didn't walk, run or gym for the first time this year, pretty much.  I'll give it twice as long a rest.

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Fantastic photo, swittle, the lighting is absolutely superb. How did the piriformis assessment go?

Welcome mcjoc and good 5K time. Friday was indeed exceptionally hot.

Welcome back AgentGinger, I was catching up on some of your targets from 2014. Nice to have you back running.

You're absolutely right with the boredom of home exercise, JD. As you say there's too many distractions to be able to schedule in a decent amount of time to do it there, which is why I prefer the gym. It is starting to get busy, though.

Good 15K time, Cal, definitely not to be sneezed at and as you say based on your injuries, shingles and the selfish neighbours it's really good.

Two runs again over the weekend. I had done a leg session on Friday, which really amounted to squats, lunges and calf raises, all without weights. Of course the next day, to use Cal's description, I was like the Tin Man. We decided on a 5 mile run along the seafront, heading from Hove towards Southwick. Not the most scenic of routes, but we figured it would be less busy then heading east. A keen wind in our faces on the out lap and it took me a good km before my legs felt as if they were responding to me exhortations to move. A wave to one of the run leaders from our winter training group, to one of the people we see regularly at PR and also to the club member I beat in a sprint a couple of weeks ago (I think it did his heart good to see me suffering). Tried to keep the pace easy, but my partner had other ideas and started to pull away. Definitely a hard 'easy' run.

Sunday we decided to run alongside the Adur and pushed it further to make a 9 miler. Cooler than we had expected and with the wind picking up we did at least make this easier, going at 9:15 min/mi and keeping it nicely conversational. Again it took a short while for the legs to feel free, but once they did all was good. 

The word back from the club committee is that the next virtual series will be another 5K, however whereas the last one was age/gender graded this one is going to be based on the average time you ran in that series. I may be regretting those two sub-23 min performances now.
  • Well done on the 15k mcjoc.  Must take some discipline to run to HR.  Hope your legs / knees are feeling ok today.

You sound better now swittle.  Fingers crossed!

Hmm - is a Tin Man more flexible than an Iron Man GD?  Nice weekend running and well done on getting the leg work done.  Might hurt afterwards but will likely do you good as well.  Looking forward to seeing how you do in the next virtual series.

Another mostly recovery paced outing yesterday evening -  in the rain again and quite a bit cooler this time - I was almost regretting wearing shorts even though they were the bicycle type rather than lightweight ones.  Took a while to warm up the hands too.  Bruised right knee pretty grumpy on the first few hundred metres but improved a bit after that and again felt better post-run.  The head too.  Met one grumpy young lady out walking two friendly dogs. 
  • Glad your knee isn't too bad, Hazelnut, and send some of that cool rain our way, will you?

Welcome mcjoc - good 15K there. If you're interested in HR training, check out the Shades thread in the Training forum - a lot of the folks who post there do it (it's a very active thread too).

swittle - are you married with a kid when you should be having fun? :D

Nice work on the runs and training, GD - balancing strength and running is quite difficult, I find.

I had a bash at the Vet Runners virtual HM this morning. I wanted to see if I could go under 2 hours - had my doubts after Sunday's 15K but thought I'd see how I felt.
    First mile was a warm-up, more or less, but I hit target pace on the next three (despite stacking it at the start of the third mile and ending up with two bruised hands and a bloody knee. I didn't even notice the knee had bled until I finished the entire run - I must have alarmed a few people along the way. So you've got company in the clumsy runner category, Hazelnut :D ). As with the 15K, my pace dropped off once I got to St George's Park so I knew the sub-2 was not going to happen, but I kept plugging away.
    My intention was to do a lap of Wimbledon Park but that was thwarted by a one way turnstile that was definitely not there last time I went, so I had to backtrack and reroute which cost me more time. I ended up doing an out and back along a section of the Wandle Trail to Wandle Park and back, then back along the stretch I'd done in mile 3. I recovered some pace on miles 11 and 12 but the there was a bit of a hill at the start of the final mile and my achilles got pretty grumpy so I slowed a bit there, then I had a bugger of a time crossing Trinity Road.
    Fairly content with the time - 2:02:49 which is 10 minutes slower than PB my but a decent effort for a virtual run/training session, especially coming so close to the 15K.
    I'm currently third fastest overall, and fastest woman, although a lot of people haven't logged their runs yet.
    I was also third overall and fastest woman in the 15K, 6th overall and 2nd woman in the 5 mile and 11th overall and 3rd woman in the 10K. So not bad really. Vet Runners UK is a fairly relaxed group with a mix of abilities - some fast peeps but not like my club's virtual events where I'm near the bottom in most things.
  • Ouch Cal - hope the bruises aren't too bad from your fall.  That is a great time considering things didn't go to plan and soon after your 15k.  Vet Runners UK sounds like a good place to be.

Group or rather pair trot yesterday evening.  I decided that with a grumpy knee I should take it easy and not be pulled into any mini races up any hills so I accompanied another lady on the shorter route.  This does take in the same amount of ascent and descent as the main route but being more than a km shorter allows slower runners to be back at the meeting point at more or less the same time as the faster group.  I enjoyed pacing her around it so that she managed to run all of the hills at a (for her) relatively easy chatting pace which she didn't manage apparently a couple of weeks ago when it was hotter. Bit over 9k in 1 hour with 190m of ascent and descent.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear the assessment, swittle. Is rest the key or is it worth seeing a physio?

Well done on the 15K, mcjoc. I wouldn't worry about the pace, as you're doing Heart Rate Zone training it will seem slow. I remember being passed by oldies using zimmer frames when I did it.

Ouch both Hazelnut and Cal. Hopefully both falls have not left any lasting damage. Easily done, especially if your concentration slips.

"Bubble" run again last night and an easy 10K along the seafront from Shoreham to Worthing. Headwind on the way out which was a lot stronger than we'd first realised, so it was a case of digging in, but the pace was such that everyone managed to hold a conversation. On the turnaround the run seemed to flow effortlessly. I find myself having to purposely slow down to keep to a reasonable pace. Might have been due to the fact that after a couple outings in the Asics I was back in the Nikes.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Ouch,Hazelnut.Easily to trip on the way down,good that there's no serious damage and your streak continues.

Well done on your virtual HM Cal,that's good going.Hope your hands and knees are ok.

I'm looking forward to my circuit training again GD,but I know I'm going to be suffering for a few days after.

Welcome mcjoc,nice 15k.I've never tried HR training but I've read it can be very good if done correctly.

Just over 9 miles yesterday afternoon,including a 1000ft hill climb in less than a mile,so my calves were on fire.Descended on to the panorama road where you had fantastic views across the Shropshire plains.Very enjoyable run.

Just an easy 5 miles with Polly today.I was supposed to be picking up my eldest daughter for a couple of miles after my run but when I got home she had gone out with her friends.
  • Good planning to have the tailwind on the way back GD. 

That is some climb JD, not surprised the calves were burning.  My hill race on Saturday had some 300m of ascent in 2km so not too far off I guess though I am too lazy to convert to miles and feet.  I walked most of that.  Good to have a view to reward you for the effort. 

Cautious attempt at a slightly faster run yesterday evening went ok. 6.2 miles in 54 mins.  Last day of comfy running weatherwise for a while - heatwave imminent so I will have to be out early again or go and hide in the shade of the woods and go slow (plan for later).
  • Sounds like you're recovering from your fall, Hazelnut. Mine was obviously not as bad. Hands are much better now and knee is fine, just a small scabby bit. Small bruise on the hip too but nothing bad.

JD, the climbs are much sweeter if there's a nice view from the top.

Yesterday I did a 6 mile recovery run - legs felt trashed and the first few strides were very awkward.
    Today wasn't much better but I ended up doing an 11 mile hilly run up to Beaulieu Heights (the woody bit under Croydon Transmitter).  First couple of miles were very slow (11+ - my stride length was down to nothing) and I toiled up the first couple of hills, but I picked up a bit of speed when I got to a downhill section and mile 4 was my fastest in 10:14. Mile 5 had 52m of climb though, so that was back over 11 again (Garmin's elevation has been back to normal this week, thankfully).
    At this point I had come to the bottom of Beaulieu Heights. I ran down it last Sunday - or rather I walked as there are steps - and it hits 20% in places, but it actually felt easier going up. I ran at the side of the steppy bits where possible and it wasn't so bad. I had trouble locating the exit though and spent a few minutes on very narrow, trippy trails through the woods until I came back to the top exit, which meant a 12:46 mile here (I didn't actually walk at all, but my stride was only .73 for this mile thanks to the terrain).
    I made my way back from there, which was undulating but primarily downhill, and left hammy was definitely not happy. My stride was getting really short as I couldn't get any power from the hams at all.
    However, I had thought I would do the last kilometer (or 0.62 miles, since I'm an Imperial girl) quicker as it's the Vet Runner's 1K challenge today. I wasn't quite sure how I'd manage it as I felt trashed, but as I hit 10.38 miles I pushed on and somehow mustered a 9:35 final mile, which gave me a 5:44 kilometer. Obviously that's more than a minute slower than I could run it if I ran a km flat out on its own on legs that were functioning properly, but you do what you can under the circumstances and I'm impressed I managed to go that fast today.
    Anyway, 11 hilly miles in 2 hours, and it's probably in my best interests I take a rest day tomorrow.
    Got the gym at 2pm this afternoon (the earliest I could get a slot) so that's going to be fun. And yes I'm being sarcastic.
    I am really not happy about a week of 30 degree temps but what can you do?
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the comments on my latest pic from the beach.  It's a rich source of subjects, whether it's cloud, sea, sunsets, or stars, all curated by the Iron Men.  :-)
    Last Saturday's 20-minute hobble set me back a week at the least.  Massage, hot and cold application, and 2 gym sessions, with a rattling of pill boxes too, seem to be helping.  Hamstring curls are challenging but walking is now pain free.  Another 2 weeks like this, and I'll try a shorter run.

Guarddog: the structure in your sessions looks to be very helpful in developing your running.

Cal: your 'Specials' reference made me laugh - unfortunately, I do not meet the specification!  Good to read of your close-to sub-2 HM.   It seems your idea of a 'reward' for a tough old sesh is...another tough old sesh ;)

Now, Cal & Hazel: we are issued with a pair of knees at birth...and we 'kneed' to look after them carefully!  I hope you're both over your tumbles.

JD1 - can't beat climbing as a swift route into the Cave of Pain.  Well done!
  • swittle, you muddy punster! :D
    Good news that you can walk without pain.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭
    Swittle,good to hear you're walking pain free now.Just take it easy and don't rush it!
    That sounded like a punishing 11 miles,Cal.Hope it's not too hot in your flat tomorrow,and enjoy your day off.

Going to be hot over here tomorrow,Hazelnut.Decided I'm going to have a good lie in over an early run.I'll try and get out in the evening.Hope you're recovering well from your trip.

6.6 miles this evening.including a 5k timed run.Once I got my head into the zone it went fairly well.Finished with a time of 20:51,so I'm happy chappy with the time.

• Any ideas what set off your niggle swittle?  Good news on the walking.

You are doing well on the hills Cal.  Short, light steps are good up the steep bits, good thing to practice - don't drag your feet but actively lift them - also good for rougher ground where you might trip over something.  Hope the heat doesn't get too bad.

Hope you have had a nice lie in JD - and why not treat yourself to one.  Great 5k time! 

Recovery from fall is still ongoing - hands are finally starting to heal enough that they don't hurt as soon as I use them much.  Knee is still grumpy but I am ignoring that fact as much as possible as long as I can run on it without a gait change.  Standing after sitting for a while and stairs can be mildly to fairly ouchy.

Recoveryish 3 and a bit miles yesterday evening.  Down the hill in the sun and back up in the shade so well-planned.  Warm and breezy rather than hot and humid so pretty bearable.  Had a brief stop to chat to and stroke a cat during the last mile, could have been the sister of my tom.  It thought the attention was wonderful.

With temperatures of 30 plus forecasted here as well for until mid-week at least I am back to earlyish running as of today as much as possible.  Wasn't out as early as I wanted to be as said tom cat decided to emit some awful farts at around 5am and woke me up (must sort out the biscuits - sure it is the cause).  I then went back to sleep and didn't want to get up.  I decided that work could wait a bit though and out just before 8 for 10 and a bit miles in 1:30.  Warm and humid - came home pretty soggy despite chosing a route with some longer shady stretches in woods. 
  • That's a super run, JD, well done!
    Jeez, Hazelnut, were you woken by the sound or the smell? :D Gave me a giggle anyway. Thanks.
    Glad you're healing up well. The bruising on my hands has gone, thankfully. Hope your knee improves quickly - I'm lucky mine is just as graze rather than a proper bang - guess my hands took the force.
    You're right about the hills. I found lots of little steps are better than trying to stride. Any advice for coming down steep hills? That's where I struggle more.
    It's horrible here too. Yesterday morning when I got up my flat was 24 degrees and built up to 28.4 by bedtime. It only lost a degree overnight with the window wide open so today's starting point is 27.4 so it'll likely be over 30 tonight, and will stay that way for the next week. Misery.
    I didn't run yesterday - I did go out for an early walk and it was actually quite fresh, so it would have been nice to run, but my body needed rest.
    Today's conditions were much less satisfactory - nearly 23 degrees at 6am and very humid. I kept to recovery pace and legs actually didn't feel terrible (although the achilles and high hammy are noticeable) so I did some strides in the last mile and they felt OK.
    Tomorrow looks to be the same sort of temperature/humidity so I may not do a long run - I will see how awful I feel after sleeping in 30 degrees. :s