Over 60's training (Part 2)

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    legs are tired now, alehouse - plus a bit of the "driving gyp" this aft'n; rest day is scheduled tomorrow :)  

WP - hope tomorrow sees you renewed :)

Dave
  • Dave. Yes, in short, as it were! We are from exactly the same mould in terms of weight and height. It might be distributed a little differently as I have pipe cleaner legs and a relatively broad upper body, hence the door stopper kettlebell.
    Searingly hot here on the Costa Geriatrica. In the evening I found a shaded area in a park which included a 200 metre hill, so it was 5k up and down the damn thing really as a case of no alternative. I slept well.
  • Apologies. I don’t know my Birch from my Alehouse!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning John! Most of my weight seems to be from the waist upwards. Or just around the waist! Don't think I could run 5k up and down the same 200 metre stretch! Won't be trying to find out, either. May even get warm here today; unlikely to see much sun though as there is a test match just down the road! 
    Right, off for my run shortly with my M75 neighbour.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    50 minutes banked but it was a bit of a struggle this morning. Usually I add a bit on after we get back but was not inclined to this morning. Both of us found it very humid under heavy grey skies. No breeze, although that is picking up now. Wonder if the floodlights will be on at Old Trafford?
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Very humid here at 5am but I saw the moon-yay I was bathed in sweat but 6.2 miles over my rolling hills .Slow as a tortoise but It is miles in the bank.
    Wheel of doom , abs workout and arms with weights all completed along with ironing and a crustless quiche cooked.I was going to make plum cake but I am very hot and sticky.I picked 4lb plums from my tree yesterday,
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    WP - 👍  B)  
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    It sounds like you are all battle with my kind of weather.

WP,
    That's a bit early, do you eat something before you leave? What are you going to do with all those plums?

John,
    What was the objective in running uphill 25 times?

I ran 7k gently around the neighbourhood yesterday as my legs were complaining from the bike ride, not sure why, as it was an easy ride. I decided  today should be a rest day.
    I have noticed that I cannot maintain foot contact balance if I have tired legs.

I have received my new gear shifter for my bike so I will spend this morning fitting it. It is not a replacement just one that I thought I could get to work with my Deore DX front derailer. Off to pickup MrsMick6's new mini cooper S this afternoon.

Mick
  • well the northern Spa Geriatrica has warmed up as well to a steady 28C and humid.

22C this morning at 0620 as I abandoned another run and wandered around instead making it look as though I had an injury.

well done to those who persevered and recorded something worthwhile - although John's hill reps bring to mind a certain song about mad dogs and Englishmen :)

mmmmm plum cake :)

Mick
    enjoy the MIni Cooper :)  I had an original mini many years ago and the only similarity with the new one is the name!
    also the gear shifter assembly.  I can recall many years ago trying to set up derailleur gears for my son's bike - and not with any great fondness

alehouse
    I think we need some of your rain on the Test match.............
  • Dave: Good luck on run today B) go early!

Mick: I run fasted if I run before 9am which is all the time fasted if after 9 I would need something to eat.

Torque: I like it pretending you had a injury to avoid running in the heat :) It is far too hot for me it was 18 degrees at 5am.

Another 5am run happy I am able to have energy for it another 6.2 miles happy to stick at that till the cooler weather comes back! But I saw the moon again which always pleases me.

Abs later.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick, good luck with the new bike parts. My own machine is shamefully neglected. My hill repeats were rather unstructured, like most of my training.

TS, we had our 2 year old and 4 year old yesterday in that heat. Afterwards it felt like I’d run a 10 k. 

WP, my word that’s an early start.

I thought that my 7.30 run was early today. Our prom was windless and quiet, both rather rare. Managed 5k in 22.49, easily my best for 6 months or so.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    That was quick on your own at that time in the morning, John

Just over 12k off road  for me this morning; felt easier than yesterday's slower 8k, probably because it is less humid. Not trapped under thick cloud like yesterday, plus a gentle breeze. Or perhaps cooler due to a short-sleeved top! 

Could be an interesting day's play at Old Trafford. Don't think rain will interfere, I'm afraid TS!

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    John,
    That's a tidy 5k, you must be doing something right.
    I fitted my new shifter with no problem apart from having to remove the handlebar grip to get it on. Who would have thought furniture polish had such a use. I had forgotten how difficult it is to balance the cable tightness and the high and low screw settings. It works but not what I would call smooth. My bike is 20 years old, brought when I needed both a road bike for racing and a mountain bike for fun. It has had a lot of abuse over the years and should be retired, a bit like me, but I am reluctant to give up on it.

WP,
    I always have a piece of toast or something similar before I run and I usually run around 8 so not too early. 18c sounds wonderfully cool to me. It seems like forever since I have run in those temperatures. Today's run was 25c with a very light breeze.

TS,
    It was only 22c, I would have need a hat and gloves. You do get use to it but it takes a while. This is her second mini she had a red convertible cooper s before. As is my want I read the manual, I cannot believe how complicated it all is. I am sure most people do not use half of the features.

6k in the shade around the trails was the order of the day for me. Slow but a very enjoyable run even surged up the hills. Going back up to 30c today so lots of people out early avoiding the heat and taking advantage of the shade. I should qualify lots as around here lots is about a dozen.

Mick
  • 7k along the prom accompanied by a blustery wind: 34.07. File under ‘OK’.

Will need to water the allotment later. So dry down here.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Cooler here today, around 20 degrees and a breeze. Certainly has not been dry here, John! Wet and cold in the main. Beans are now doing well though, but most of my courgettes and peas are rotting. Still got muddy patches on my runs!

About 45 minutes largely of road to report including pushing hard up a short rise x 4. Nothing like someone's 5k up and down a hill recently!
    The quicker bit is part of the introduction to speedwork. Brought up 58k for the week, another high for years. Didn't really intend to go that high: it just happened!
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    TS - any further "wandering" ?  

WP - good early jaunt - hope you didn't forget the abs later  . . .   

JB - cracking 5K on your tod.  Full beans, or did you have anything in hand?   

Mick - I like the sound of "surging" - I'm sure I can remember it . . . 

alehouse - fine week, both mileage and "speed"work intro 👍  

odd weekend here (tedium alert - knee reportage included) . . .   Friday was the planned rest day, after 3 on a row.  Woke that morning, realised that no overnight knee gyp, despite the 3  successive days, moved around a bit - felt normal !  Yesterday, I intended run, but was up later than intended, knee grumbled slightly, and, daughter told me another pal was joining us for what has been our recent "me cycle, she runs" routine. Hence I decided to still go over, but run today, as N had company for running.  So, 7 miles - knee "ok", as it tends to be whilst running, albeit tendons "tight" feeling.  What was disappointing, was that it was a real plod, and I'd really had enough after 7 miles.  Its 6 weeks since a 9.5 felt fairly comfy, and I felt as if I could do more.  My legs (irrespective of knee issue) seem to be getting worse, in terms of being leaden.   23 miles this week.

Dave
  • WelshpoppyWelshpoppy ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Afternoon,

Mick:Please keep that 25 degrees although 26 degrees yesterday and today but seems cloudy today.Hope Mrs Mick enjoys the new car.

John: sounds like two good day's running.What are you growing on the alotment?

Dave: I am really sorry  it sounded so positive on Friday maybe your knee does not like rest days? It is just taking it's time.23 miles is still 23 miles.Maybe your knee will like the cooler weather from september.I do know how it feels I used to run 11 miles easy peasy and at the moment 6.5 seems to be my max!

Abs are always done as they need a lot of work!

No run today bad night sleeping and dragged myself up at 5.30 out by 6am but body too tired so came back and went back to bed for 2+ hours.But I have done my wheel of doom and ab work oh and arms with weights.
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Dave
    welcome to my legs :/
    At lest the knee continues its slow improvement and 7 miles of plod is still 7 miles done - after 6 weeks of relative inactivity that's good going.

alehouse
    onward and upward - and a cricket victory as well so the rain stayed away.  Always knew England would win................................... ;)

John
    was that 5K just to avoid the non social distancing crowds along the seafront?

MIck
    I should have made it clear that the meandering came not from the heat but because I simply had nothing to give - either physically or mentally - so I meandered!
    Not sure whether the thyroid levels were off or not but it was very tough for me to even move.

I still haven't sorted out all the functions on my car and I've had it 3 years!!

Nice to hear of hill surges - must be John's influence :)

Welshpoppy
    it got a bit sticky last evening but the forthcoming thunderstorms may sort that out

I straggled out this morning and managed 3.1 miles in 30:46 but with a HR profile that I don't believe - basically a straight line up from 120 to 150 over the duration of the run.
    Felt better than Friday even after some extreme gardening yesterday!

• Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    John,
    What's with all these quick feet, you definitely need to get a bit older, that will fix it.

WP,
    Yes she is already enjoying it, she loves how peppy the cooper s is.
    I find the heat very draining. Once the temp gets over 25 the cost of running seems to exponentially grow. I am not surprised that you feel unusually tired given how cool most of your runs are.
    My 43k rides in the full glare of the sun, although not physically challenging seem to leave more drained than a hard 9k through the hills.

TS,
    That straight line drift is very common for me when running in high temperatures.

A nice overcast day for my run this morning. It was 24c and 76% humidity but it had me sweating heavily for some reason. Just 7k cruising the neighbourhood with a short pickup at the end.

A sad day yesterday when I learnt that a friend I met at the gym 4 or 5 years ago died during the week. He was my age and we would often chat while working out, he was fascinated by English football and how much the players were paid. My last conversation with him was just before lockdown when he had just received the terminal diagnosis.

Mick
  • Mick, sorry to hear of your friend.

WP, allotment is pretty standard stuff, French beans etc. My role is limited to watering, which seems to come naturally to a man of my age! The best yield comes from our plum tree which we didn’t plant anyway.

TS, our prom does get quite busy but nothing like the pictures you see of Bournemouth and Brighton. 

Dave, pretty much empty tank on the last 2 runs.

Alehouse, that’s a very respectable weekly total.

Was talking to my neighbour. Nice chap and does a bit of running. I’ve no real idea of his pedigree and asked him if he’d done a marathon. Not only was the answer yes, but he’d also done the South Downs Way 80 miler! Respect!

Rest for me on Monday although might be tempted for a torture session on the rower........
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    John,
    What do you find the limiting factor when you do a 5k row?
    Is it arms legs back shoulders or butt? What hurts afterwards?
    I assume you row on the max setting.
  • Mick
    tough news - particularly at this time when contact can be lost quite easily and one doesn't know what is happening day to day.

I think I may be tempted into cruisin' the 'hood :)

HR profile was due to dodgy connection - it continued to go up even when I was running downhill - and not even I am that unfit!!

John
    80 mile is some going.  In the ancient past I did a 42 miler run/walk and that was more than enough even for a young me!
    Sounds like you have a good arrangement with your plum tree.

Sneaked out early this am to lay a socially distanced trail for the Hash to do whenever they want over the next 40 hours.
    Warm but pleasant as I ran through the pinewoods spreadeagling myself when slipping on exposed dry tree roots but fortunately bounced on the soft pine leaves under the trees. Only 3 miles but a nice saunter
  • Mick: That is hard news to swallow at this time I am so sorry.I think you mentioned a friend getting the news pre lock down?

Nice produce John and 80 miler.....way too many miles!!

Torque: Thank goodness it was a soft landing and no damage! nice multi tasking with Hash trail and run :)

I made it out at 5am and ran 6.2 miles a little faster and we had some of Alehouse's rain for 2 miles I got soaked but so refreshing:) Abs all done and arm workout.
    I picked the last of the plums so  4.5kilos in total:)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Mick, good question. As rowing is promoted as a whole body exercise I think I can honestly say that when I’m going for it, the limiting factor is the whole body. But if I had to specify that I’d say lower back and backside.
    Plus in this 30 plus heat wave it is a hard form of exercise. I tried 10 minutes of intervals this morning and that was enough. But I am a wimp!

TS, good work. Are you still running the hash? Tree roots deserve to be exposed for the pernicious health hazard that they are!

WP, good to hear of your plum harvest. Ours is also very productive, but a very high proportion of the plums look great but have got grubs in occupation. Little devils!
  • Welshpoppy
    another good 6+ miles and an outside shower as well :)  good stuff - as is a plum harvest.
    I love this time of year when local fruit is so abundant. We have been gorging ourselves on cherries which are so large and juicy at the moment (not grown by us unfortunately - our cherry trees are ornamental only :/)

John
    yes still Hashing - but it's a remote one.  Each week someone lays a trails and then folk can do it when they want but not in a crowd.  There were five did my trail yesterday at various times and then called in for a socially distanced refreshment in the garden.
    We also have a Zoom meeting once a week just to keep people in touch.

I liked my run through the pinewoods so much that I did it again this morning on different trails - still managed to trip over another root :'( !! - and bounce.
    Trouble is low angle dappled sunlight in early morning means that one cannot always see what is coming until too late.
    Certainly cooler in the trees, much hotter elsewhere
  • TS, sounds like fun. The trees must help to make conditions more comfortable, until they leap out at you. Our prom has no shade whatsoever and TBH it’s brutal in these temperatures. I managed a 7k this morning in 33.50 but I wished I hadn’t. Mrs JB who is a red head and struggles in the sun didn’t quite manage 5k and we’ve both been good for nothing since.
    I'm going to a track meet this evening at our local Harriers but of course only as a spectator. I’m wondering how they are going to manage social distancing. We’re I competing it would be no problem as I’d be miles behind everyone else.
    As Mrs JB opined after our little run, how can anyone do the Marathon de Sables?!
  • Mick6Mick6 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    TS,
    Not another fall, maybe time to stay out of the woods.

John,
    We have a heat warning here today and it was well up into the mid 20s at 7. I put my head out to check for my run and the humidity was incredible. I am waiting to see if a breeze will spring up or at least some cloud cover.
    The humidity is even worse in the woods so I am running out of options.
    For me running a marathon in this would be idiotic but it would most likely be cancelled.
    Mick
  • Torque: Another fall in the woods  do be careful but hard when it is cooler to run there .

John: I feel Mrs J pain although I am not a red head i have the genes and hate the heat.

Mick: Did you run or be sensible?

A run nice and early yesterday the coolest part of the day and then it is warm and sticky.6.2 miles for me a little faster which is nice.

Just getting ready to run after my coffee..........
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • WP - did the coffee boost performance.............

Mick - I think our heat wave is about to break with some T'storms predicted. Funnily enough I think the hottest  I've ever been in a run and afterwards was in BC. A 10K in fierce conditions and then the afternoon spent watching the lumberjack Olympics in a little place called Squamish up country from Vancouver. Since than the UK has warmed up to an alarming degree and even on the coast the sea breezes don't seem to be a moderating influence. Truly scary.

A great evening watching the athletics on our local track. Perfect for sprint events  - no wind, a fast track and (of course) very warm. A pretty high class field if hardly the Diamond League. Lovely atmosphere, PBs galore, two track records and the highlight - an astonishing 12 year old girl competing  and beating older athletes in the 100 and 200 metres .......and achieving number 1 ranking for her age in Europe. A superstar of the future.

Really inspiring to see grassroots athletics and the huge amount of work put in by volunteers. (I volunteer at Parkrun and it's nothing like this!).

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed the spectating, JB! Perfect for sprinters...but not for anything longer as I have found out the last couple of days. Cut yesterday's run short: just 25 minutes as it was 29 degrees or more; today I ran earlier than usual (8 o'clock) and was out for 68 sweaty minutes. Slower than usual and heart rate higher than usual, all down, I'm sure, to the "feels like" 27. Overnight rain did little to clear the air. 

And stay on your feet, TS