Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    At least it gives me the opportunity to run a different Mara in April. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    I was just starting to ramp it up ;) Better hold off a bit. Another 40 weeks of base training?!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    So Berlin and London a week apart - I'm thinking Berlin has to be the target race.

Need to think about a spring marathon - Manchester sounds attractive - just checked out the website and they're expecting any places to be limited - worth registering your interest now if this is an option.  Brighton already full but you could get in through a club place.  And of course, there's always Boston (US) - registration yet to open.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    SBD we could be on for the same treble Manchester, London and Berlin 👍
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Same here!!!

Manchester is my Spring preference. Risk is you enter that and it gets pushed to Autumn.

i think I’ll register my interest now. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Even my keenness to keep banging on the drum will be tested now.

Sensible to keep it Oct, one for the scrapbook and potentially quick after a summer of training in the warm.

I'll roll my Brighton place over to 2021. Sell my Abo 21 place, and that just leaves a North Dorset mara place early May, although that might come in handy if Brighton gets cancelled or is too windy.

Ive entered the goodwood race day Srpt 27th, if they cant get a race on there then im not sure who can. 11 and a bit laps of 2.3m, but less laps than the vlm elite race at 1.5m per lap.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The question is, is anyone here paying £20 to be in the virtual race to get their medal and t shirt? 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Im never interested in the medal and T shirt. You get around £100 for the pair on ebay on the night of the marathon (not that i ever bother).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm already in Manchester, deferred from this year. They can shove the T shirt 🤭
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Yet to come up with a plan, so just plodding on for now. 4 mile recovery run.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    In more positive news, my local swimming pool opens next week. After 4 months without a swim I've booked 3 *1 hour sessions next week- reckon I'll need to take my arm bands 🐳
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - Very brave. My gym has re-opened, but I haven't checked to see if its pool is open too. Not rushing to go back.
    Got 2 pairs of running shoes being delivered today. All 4 pairs I am currently using regularly are in holes / falling to pieces. Just hope they hold out long enough to phase the new ones in especially as I've never tried them before.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Bad news for the London entrants,at least you know where you are now.
    DT-Good to hear you are getting better.
    Been a crazy week in work,so only ran yesterday and today,10 mile on Sunday is still on so that's looking set to go,and got a HM pencilled in now for Reyjkavik weekend,and Boston seems good to go so that is now the main aim.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Just focus on that 10 miler Ian and go and smash it.
    Gul your shoe antics are legend. A man of your talent deserves some new boots 👍

This is turning into a cut back week for me too. I may go for a 5k blast in the morning and try to get near 18 minutes....
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO, you always struck me as the type of guy that would have a pool in the garden!

Gul, how your body doesn't fall to pieces is beyond me!!

Ian, you can really have a good smash at the 10m race now and then get back on plan for Boston.

I've registered Manchester interest.

10K progression run this morning. Went out about 8.30 to avoid the heat, but that was too late! Started off very easy with an 8.48mm then slowly edged each one done finishing with 6.30mm for the 0.2. I'm still too warn now from it!

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Ian - glad you've got a new target race. All the best for tomorrow too.
    OO - blast that 5k :)
    DT - nice progressive run.
    A bit late up today, so 17 slow to easy miles.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OO-Hope the 5k goes well.
    DT-Very good progression run,are you going go start going longer again now? Also registered for Manchester, unsure about spring plans yet but good to have an option.
    Gul-Love that you got up late,get 17 done and posted on here before 7am.
    Small panic yesterday when I seen Preston was going on lockdown, I knew my race wasn't actually in Preston but we got an email minutes after it was announced saying it wasn't affected as they are technically South Ribble.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ian, I think I’d rather spend and lose £60 or or so quid to have something booked in and focus towards than not.

Yes, plan is to be running normal from September. Sunday is a 10 miler which on paper is largely insignificant but it’s quite an important run for me as the last time I ran that far was the day my injury surfaced in March. 

A nice bit of Saturday morning laziness, Gul!! 

No running today just a bike session. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Ian - phew, panic over. I must check out Manchester and register. Nothing to lose I guess.
    DT hope 10 miler goes okay. You can run a bit slower than Ian ;)
    Ha, ha both. Yes, I should have said I intended to do more miles but ran out of time :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    We did actually had a pool in a previous house DT. Cost a bloody fortune to heat 😆. Good luck with the 10 miler, I'm sure you'll be fine.
    My 5k didnt quite hit the mark. Wasn't feeling it at 7:30 am and a headwind didnt help. 19:24 and 6:15 average pace, but at  least my 16 miler tomorrow should be on fresher legs.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - good effort, especially if that was a solo effort 
    Rest day today, so 73 for the week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    10m done. Got up and out by 8.30 to avoid heat though needn’t have done so as it’s only now starting to get warm here. I was surprised how comfortable it was, average pace 8.01mm so what I’d normally do. I thought I was about to get into a street race with some chap as I’d caught him up from about 200m behind running 8mm but he didn’t seem keen to let me go and tried to our run me. of course it took nothing more than half a mile at 7.45mm to lose him. 

Nice to be done early, though I’d guess Gul wouldn’t quite see my timings as such! 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just copied this from Shades thread.
    So a real honest race today,first one in 6 months,so it may be a longer report than usual.
    In terms of covid it felt completely safe,massive field at the start separated into a toilet queue and a warm up area,toilets had sanitiser on the way in and out.
    Start area was a little tight,yellow markings on the floor separated 2mtrs but people a bit closer but we were only there a bit.
    Onto the race,started a bit fast,as usual,but didn't want to leave anything,first 2 miles are slightly uphill and in to the wind,clocked 6:02,then 6:07,at mile 3 we turn and go slightly downhill so I hit 5:54,felt it was a bit fast so pulled back slightly and then went 6:07,6:04 getting to halfway in 30:36 which I knew was way too fast.
    2nd half and the wind was picking up,it was a bigger headwind on the way back up the bypass so I slowed a bit,got to 10k in 37:59 just 26 sec behind my PB and second fastest ever.We turned off the main road with 5k left,I had 19:45 to break 62,a nice bit of downhill gave me a little more time in the bank,came to the last mile thinking I had it safe,got to 10 miles and at 1:01:23 bit still not finished,annoying as my watch was measuring right with all the mile markers so don't know what happened,head down and chased a guy in front which helped drag me over in 1:01:55.
    Very happy to break 62,bodes well for my next 2 races,could I do 20 mins for another 5k? I think I could so hopefully 1:22 is possible.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Ian. Important to capitalise on that shape your in. Just as well the Preston 10 isn’t quite in Preston! 

I think you’d certainly be good for a 1.22 half, perhaps even a 1.21.

5 and 10m races are a bit of an elusive event for me and good performances. I never seem to get to them at the right stage in the cycle. A number of times I’ve beaten myself 5m time in a 10k then still failed to beat it in a 5m race and likewise with 10m.

ive a small eye on the Derby 10 again in November. I’ll not enter for a couple of months as vowed I won’t race until I feel there’s a performance in me plus I don’t trust what’ll happen once kids are back in school. 

Feel pretty good after the morning run, almost like it didn’t happen. 4m recovery and east 45min turbo tomorrow. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - good news, well done on the patience game. You sound in decent shape. I did 10m av 8.00 today too (im away near wye valley, so no long run this weekend).

Ian - well done, bodes well. You sound in 1.21 or 1.22 shape to me. Sub 60 is much harder than  sub 3. I did 59.0X and 78.1X a few weeks apart a few years back, and wasnt much slower tjrough 10m in the 1/2, its course specific.......you have to focus on a mara date now and get the mental investment focussed on that, whilst you are in top shape.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Sounding good for the recovery,really hope it goes well for you over the next few weeks.
    TR-Thanks,I have entered Boston but that is obviously weather dependent,if it looks rough I'll look around for alternatives.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great running both 10 milers!
    Ian that is really excellent to deliver on your target, chuffed for you.
    18 miles here for a 50 week. Excited about swimming tomorrow- first in 5 months 😁
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    TR yes I was pleased and surprised this morning. I know I don’t have months of heavy training in my legs but surprised how good It felt. 

I’m not sure I could knock out a 10m tempo at 6.30mm right now but it suddenly seems not a million miles off, especially if I shift the half stone weight gain.

I’ve always said sub 3, sub 80, sub 60 and sub 30 are lifetime running goals that I see in my head differentiate a good runner and a very good runner over those distances. I did sub 30 in my 10k in January but of course means little. Obviously sub 3 is done and I felt in March I was heading towards an Autumn of personal glory re the others then it all went awry got us all. 

Been thinking about the Berlin/London consecutive thing next year. I like the idea of London full beans in a one off October date. I might just bin off Berlin for fa year. Also I’ll be 45 in January which reduces my Berlin gfa to 2.55 which seems doable if I recapture my winter shape. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - pleased the 10 miler went okay. Must have missed your sub 30 10k ;)
    Ian - cracking 10 mile race and must have been fairly hot and humid too, I imagine. I would guess you should have 81 mins in sight for a HM in the right conditions and a fast course. Boston is a flat course, but it's very exposed so watch out for windy conditions.
     Will probably have to cut back for a few weeks as work is going to be very busy. Just 4 easy miles this morning, breaking in some new shoes 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OO-Enjoy your swim,I take it you are limitted to how long you are allowed in for?
    Gul-That's how I read DT's comment at first  :smile: