Comrades 2021

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    As a serial 11:5x finisher at Comrades never was a truer word spoken, keep moving folks! Knockholt? I've flown in and out of the air-force base there from and to Walney - wow that takes me back.

I recently looked up Barcelona to exercise my choice in running next March and not October 25th - that choice expired in June - ha ha - got everything crossed, from a purely selfish aspect, that they cancel October now that London has fallen, I'm just not enthusiastic about getting marathon ready right now.

Just e-mailed my London hotel to cancel.
  • lowrez: many thanks for donating!
    Tracking: https://tracking.racedirector.co.uk ) then click on Centurion NDW100, or direct at
    If it comes up simply showing a map then click on the + in a circle at the top left and it will give you more options. You can show all to see everyone who has hired a tracker, or 'Hide all' then select me and Snail (although that's not the name she's under!) to just see where we have got to.
    If you go to https://www.centurionrunning.com/live it should tell you when we pass through the aid stations as well (not sure how many of them record).
    It's suddenly very close...
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I am looking forward to following NDW online at weekend. 

Lowrez , I’ll need to check my emails / website, but I also have an entry for Barcelona, I didn’t think we had passed a deadline regarding taking a place in October v deferring to 2021?? I went to Barcelona in March, decided it would be a nice weekend even though marathon was cancelled, but lockdown was introduced whilst we were there! Having been in 3 different countries when lockdown was introduced, think I may be willing to hold back on my natural instinct to travel, and just say local for a bit longer!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    There were actually 2 deadlines to choose McH, both passed. You were automatically put into October if you did not exercise your choice to move to March.

London have transmuted the 40th race into a virtual event costing an additional £20 (because your 2020 entry fee can now be spent on moving to 2021, 2022, or 2023 or a refund) The 40th London marathon takes place wherever you like between 0:00 and 23:59 on 4th October, and you get the official medal and T-shirt. Original 2020 participants get first dibs on entry, but, after that Joe public can apply!
  • Congrats Debra on the new job!

I’m still waiting for my Hilton refund from 2 Oceans! I also can’t see at the minute how Comrades can go ahead next year unless a vaccine is found. I’ll book a hotel if I have to but will hold off as long as possible.

Also as races get cancelled it will be hard to get a qualifier, we only have 2 marathons a year in the UAE without me having to fly to qualify.

Good luck to those running events this weekend.

• Thanks everyone - and no, I won't be bothering taking a warm layer to wear overnight (although there's still the required long-sleeved top to carry). I checked my race report for Ridgeway 86 last year in similar temperatures and I comment that I regretted changing from vest to T-shirt for the night section as it was too hot! Hoping 3 x 500ml will be enough to get me to the first aid station...
  • Southern SnailSouthern Snail ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Will definitely not be lingering at checkpoints. As a back of the pack runner I know time is limited. The best Comrades advice was always to keep moving :) Am no.61

I'm just charging everything. Was planning on a t-shirt as a pose to a vest for the whole thing. Maybe thats a mistake but never worn the race water vest with a vest top.

I'm sure 1.5L will be fine Debra. At least a little cooler at that time.
  • Snail: wear the T-shirt, carry the vest, or vice versa - hardly weighs anything and it gives you the option of changing your mind. I couldn't remember, and I don't normally wear the pack with a vest, but the photo from the start of Ridgeway 86 in similar conditions last year shows me in a vest and I vaguely remember having the same debate with myself that you are having now. I changed to a T-shirt for the night section and was too hot... Remember to take sunscreen - and particularly put on ear tips (unless those are under your cap), nose and back of neck.
    Everything is charged, spare batteries are packed (main headtorch should last through - batteries are for secondary/spare headtorch). Little potatoes are boiled and next I'm going to put my edibles in 4 sets of little bags - one set each to have from the start, mile 22-ish where Aidan will meet me at the crew point, 50-mile drop bag and 82-mile drop bag. That way at each I can simply dump the old bags, stuff the new ones into the side pockets.
  • Thanks. Pretty much all packed here. Also got lots of little bags packed and in the fridge for now. Probably going to be fairly rank when I get to them :)  Mmm might give Lars some sandwiches for mile 34 Merstham and have some fresh. All the best for tomorrow. 
  • Snial: good luck, have fun - just keep moving forwards!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the hydrocortisone cream btw. One of my strongest memories of volunteering at Holly Hill last year was the number of wasps that were around. No one got stung, but best to be prepared.
    Dubairunner I see London is allowing people who run the virtual London Marathon this October to use that time to qualify for good for age in 2021. I wonder whether Comrades will allow times set in virtual races to count as qualifiers?
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Great to see that Debra and Snail started together. There's a decent breeze here in south London so hopefully they're getting that too. There's not that much shade as far as the first aid station, but after that there are a few more wooded sections, so hopefully they'll have a bit of shelter in the middle of the day.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    I slept in so the documentary isn't likely to come to fruition :D
    Going to fire up the PC and start tracking.
    Daughter is cooking a blackberry and crabapple pie with fruit I foraged over the past few days. That is going to be my celebratory treat later when the results come in.
    Go DB, go SS! :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Found 'em - go girls!

Had to zoom in to get both points to show, on a broader scale this is how far in they are:-

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Jumped the gun, looked too good straight out the oven

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Can't match that 1owrez, I'm eating my way through leftovers.
    Debra looks very strong at the moment. 9th woman at Box Hill and second F50. We've had a cloudy morning here so it's not been as hot as forecast, but it has started to clear. Bit worried that Snail's tracker is still at Box Hill when she arrived there over an hour ago, but she's not showing as having dropped (so perhaps the tracker got dropped instead).
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Agreed, looks well yum lowrez.

I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about SS. Lets just hope her tracker has been left there...Keep going girls..
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

SS's tracker hasn't pushed an update out since 11:41 all the others I can see are updating real time, weird how the battery level continues to update though which implies it is switched on and active. If updates are triggered by a change in GPS co-ordinate then it points to it just sitting somewhere not moving. Got everything crossed she removed it for some reason and then forgot to put it back on?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    https://www.centurionrunning.com/live

According to the live board above she is still running, plenty of runners listed "still" as Box Hill for their last check point. That board also details DNFs and she's not gone pink yet on that yet, although I'll wager she has in this heat! Got everything crossed she still out there battling on - is there a check point list and associated cut-offs - I'm off to look for that! Come on SS!

Debra's just gone through Botley Hill so I guess that is the next one? She is motoring! Go DB!

• baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Wow, Debra's up to 5th woman, and only 2 minutes off being first F50.
    Botley Hill is the next monitored checkpoint for Snail (there are a couple of others in between Box Hill and Botley Hill but they don't have timing machines there), so even if she's slowed down a bit in the heat she should be through there in about an hour. I think she's got another couple of hours to beat the cut off. Fingers crossed it's just a tracker problem.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Yep, Debra is really motoring - go girl!

Found the cut-offs and couldn't help generating a condensed version - I assume the variation in required pace I have uncovered will be due to climbs?

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I’ve now joined in with following the tracking, let’s hope it’s just a tracker problem for SS, must be tough out in this heat
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    This is nail biting, pudding eating stuff McH, no matter how many times I refresh my browser its refusing to report SS at Botley Hill, I'm off for more pudding in the hope she sneaks past whilst I'm adding the clotted cream :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Run out of pudding - moved on to beer - come on SS!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Just seen Debra is through halfway, Knockholt Pound. She's now just a minute off being first F50, but because they started at different times she probably doesn't know how close it is. (Even though I'm shouting "Come on Debra" at my computer screen.) SS still has an hour to get through Botley Hill.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Debra's through Knockholt Pound! She'll have had a bag drop there so will be refuelled and re-kitted - amazing!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭

SS at Botley Hill!!!!!! Yeehhaaa!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    She's looking good on the stats too - an hour ahead of cut-off and sensibly working her way through the field improving her position at each check-point.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    In my excitement didn't notice you'd reported on Debra Stan - wow close to 1st - here we go!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Both of them looking very good. (Unlike the race leader who looks to have blown up having gone off at 7'37" mile pace). Just off out for supper, but will be checking again as soon as I'm back.