Friday 7th August 2020 - Meet me on the wastelands - later this day

Morning.

Lyrics - Meet me on the wastelands - later this day

The walking will be doing you good chamolk.

How is the fundraising going emzap?

You are managing a lot at the moment OH.

I'm not surprised that London aren't planning an April race next year - I'd say there's little chance of the situation being sufficiently resolved for them to be able to. We might just get there by October. Need to decide if my knees are going to allow me to train to run a marathon in eight weeks. I wouldn't expect to PB but I'd like to think I can go sub 3 if I can get my endurance back. I've only run one twenty miler since March. Of course I also need to decide if I want to take the risk of racing even in a small, specially organised Covid compliant race, and all travel etc.

We are forecast a warm one today but not as hot as some parts of the country. Nice to hopefully have a few days of better weather.

What:           short and easy
Why:            recovery
Last hard:    getting going again
Last rest:     4/8

Yesterday's lyrics - Happier - Ed Sheeran.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

A bit confused, LMH: do you mean that you might get to run London this year? Or is there another marathon in eight weeks that you are thinking about?

Lyrics: no

What: running with M75, so hopefully that will be fairly gentle! Plus stretches.

Why: probably need another easy day. And shoulders ache from gardening yesterday.

Very humid here: we seem to be trapped under thick dark clouds. It sounds as if it is going to be close to 30 degrees...but with very little sun. Or breeze. But no rain forecast.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Bright, sunny and already 20C here Alehouse. Nice. There is another marathon being held on 4th October that I could potentially do (I'm not good enough to be an elite at London! LOL)
  • Morning

Thanks for the fundraising link emzap - will deal with that at the weekend. 10k trails in company sounds nice.

Hmm - only you can make the decision regarding fitness by October and your personal risk LMH.   Personally I would also be put off by the risk of putting in the considerable training effort a marathon entails and having the race called off.  I guess London in autumn next year could suit you better than in April as you are likley to get warmer training conditions.  Make the most of the good conditions in the next days (without doing too much of course!)

Sounds like uncomfortable running weather Ale.  Have a nice outing with M75.

Hope Cleo had a lovely birthday Wabo.

Careful with the playful cows Dustin.  Young heifers are the worst. 

Difficult to plan for maras at all at the moment chamolk. 

What: 16.6k done pre-work in 1:30
    Why: stretching the mileage a bit, need to get out before the heat
    Last hard: getting going this morning.  Decided that work can wait though it will mean that it will get warm in my office this afternoon.  Cat doing terrible farts at 5am woke me up prematurely and when it was time to get up for an earlier run I didn't.
    Last rest: 30:03

Lyrics: no

• Morning all.
    Where abouts is your marathon LMH. Glen lyon ultra went ahead last weekend with I think 150 entrants staggered starts temp checks and masks at all checkpoints.  Seems to have been enjoyed and all regulations complied with but would be difficult to do with bigger numbers.
    Just up and down the hill to round off my T 12 challenge with 7.1 miles. Need to add it all up but ends up with about 60 odd miles  and probably between 3to 4 hours of walking 8 to 9 running though I'm not sure as I was mixing it up last sat.just over 9 min left....can I be bothered to run again given that I can't evenan age a mile in under 10 min currently?
    Shall debate it over a cold drink...already warm here though it's going to rain heavily this afternoon.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning again!

Well done on the early morning 10 miler, Hazel

And well done on the challenge, Els. You seem to have got back to things much more quickly than I expected!

What Hazel said LMH!

What: some stretching pre 50 minute run with M75

Why: I had hoped to do another 10 minutes or so after we parted but really didn't feel like it. Both of us struggled this morning: very humid under heavy skies. No breeze, although that is picking up a little now and already feels fresher. 
    Now to watch  some cricket, and wouldn't be at all surprised if the floodlights come on again!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Nice pre-work miles there Hazel. 

Well done Els, that is amazing mileage never mind in your situation. It's a marathon being staged specially in Wales.

Physio is happy for me to try and build the miles. It's just endurance I'm lacking having only run the one twenty. Stuggled this morning but it's not my legs but my breathing. I know I can't really have lost that much fitness in two weeks so I think it must be related to my low iron levels (transferrin saturation was only 8% a month ago and isn't going to be better now). Trouble is I take a daily iron supplement (Spatone which is 5mg of iron) and can't tolerate ferrous sulphate and only have a few weeks :-(
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Afternoon!

Will be interesting to see if that marathon goes ahead, LMH. Needs a permit still, I believe.

Floodlights are indeed on at the cricket... and I have had to bring my washing in. Heavy rain! None forecast.

Edit: now pouring at the cricket.
  • LMH one 20 is probably more than a lot of folk will have done. There are other iron preps such as ferrous fumarate if you haven't tried them.
    Ale - I'm pleased that the running is going as well as it is though still get anxious if out on the trails, no great distance or speed yet but the weeks of walking seem to have helped. Will soon - I hope for Peter's sake - be grounded for his isolation 2 weeks, strangely Edinburgh have said I need covid test at 14 days and 2 days pre procedure but not to isolate fully just be sensible and avoid meeting many folk so at least we don't need to do it twice! Is the time on the forum out today, I seem to have posted my run an hour before I got back!?
    Hazel/Dustin cows are scary, seen many cow related injuries, mostly serious, at work.
    Waiting for friend to return from the isles, have lunch with us and do some visiting in Deerness, hope it remains dry for a little while.
    Enjoy the good weather folks! 

• Sourdough cardamon buns
  • Nice baking Els. I've tried over the counter (from the pharmacist) iron tablets and also those prescribed by my GP. Unfortunately the adverse effects seem to be the same :-( Still waiting for another telephone consult from the hospital doctor but I'm wondering if i should try a telephone consult with my GP. Don't want to bother them if there's nothing they can do though. I've only run the one 20 because it took me four months to get my knees back in good enough shape to tolerate it, none for two weeks because of my fall, need to get back to them by the week after next if I'm going to run the marathon though as it's not just a case of completing it. Good news that you won't have to self isolate. I hope that Peter gets his new date soon.

Lovely here Alehouse! I think it has a good chance looking at what they've done already and corresponding with the organiser - full refund if not so nothing lost.
  • Afternoon,

Sorry been missing this week a bit sick of having two rest days a week.But I ran the last of the solo race a 5k and fastest one but no surprise really as the others were hampered by Achilles.

What 6.20 miles
    Why: Because
    Last hard Achilles/tiredness
    Lyrics nope

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hiya
    Els- impressive mileage, equally impressive baking!
    I'm familiar with the cows but do give them the respect they deserve, they are big old beasts.
    Quite a few in the fields near here and usually they ignore me. They naturally are more protective with youngsters around.
    Hazel - good skills on the early miles

No real surprise with London, I'm not running in October, so will hopefully defer to Apr22 when I'll also be a v55 
    LMH - if you run to be competitive in 8 weeks then it's a brave call. I don't think 1 x 20 since March is less than many others, most people I know are treading water at 16-18 / 3hrs
    and aiming "to complete, not compete"
    I reckon even if you were in 3:10 shape you'd be ahead of pretty much most the others...

What - went out early to avoid the 100+ temperatures, 6 miles done
    Why - avoid heatstroke
    last rest - 20/06
    last hard - Yesterday's hills
    lyric - don't think so

• LMH. ..I'll have to isolate with Peter but not for my procedure...be good to get on with it now and have things sorted for him though it still won't be fun!
    Short walk and cuppa with mutual friend of our visitor this afternoon. Forecast rain not here yet which is good.
    Dustin...Sadly may be better at baking than running! 
  • Dustin - I’d like to be in with a decent shot at sub 3. Don’t want to keep the marshals hanging around! The speed is there - I just need to be able to keep it up!

I think you’re pretty good at both Els 😊 At least you only have to do the self isolation once.
  • Short run and short swim
    Fitting in with visitors
    Lyrics no
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening

Hot here today!

What: a walk, last day at work for 7 weeks and a picnic lunch that got rather curtailed!
    Why: our daily outing, I'm on sabbatical, it started chucking it down!
    Last hard: making decisions, one of which was whether to phone 111 as Lucas was wheezing.  Turns out he has croup poor thing.
    Lyrics: nope

LMH yes that's a tough call.  Hopefully you'll know the answer soon and can start the training or not
    Rained for about 10 min today.  The 10 min we were sitting by a stream eating our lunch!  Had to decamp to the car.
    Not sure I'm going to be able to run long at the weekend given the forecast, will have to play it a bit by ear.
    Poppy hope you're feeling 100% soon.

Have a lovely evening all.