Comrades 2021

Comments

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yes I too looked at Mr Fast and thought it wasn't going to last, but it takes a long time to learn your trade! Hope blackberries are included in supper with up to £10 off (alcohol excluded) :) I've just raided the fridge and fried bacon, mushrooms tomato and eggs - with Stella (not the woman)
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Relived to see SS still going great guns. Reckon she needs to ask for a refund on her tracker since it still shows her at box hill!!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    SS's tracker has moved on from Box Hill but it's still well out, I reckon somebody out for a walk has found it, or possibly it's been swallowed by a squirrel.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    SS through Knockholt Pound! The screen is turning pink with DNFs but our girls are cruising through it all - go girls!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    That squirrel looks like its coughed up SS's tracker and returned it to her, seems to be tracking her bang on again! Maybe it was a woodpecker and has flown into Knockholt with it?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hang on a mo! Those cut-offs are the pre Covid fixed timing values aren't they? There was a range of 2 hours on the start line wasn't there? So everyone has a unique set of cut-offs now depending on what point they stepped over the start line? So when did DB and SS start? I can't tell from either the tracking map or the table???? Based on expected total running time you were asked to start in the following ranges:-
    • Sub 21hr: 0500-0530
    • 21-25hr: 0530- 0600
    • 25-28hr: 0600-0630
    • 28-30hr finish: 0630-0700

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Running 100 miles is hard enough without having to work out your new cut offs. I hope they have these written down, since trying to work them out when your mind is befuddled won't be easy. Can you imagine running all that way and getting dnf'd at the end cause you were a few minutes over??? Bit like Comrades but without the atmosphere of the spectators.

Meanwhile Debra has stormed into first place in her age category. Amazing.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Oh blimey, yes I remember two up runs ago being convinced in the last 5ks that I was totally out of time and had completely blown it, but rule number one; keep moving; saved me. I was absolutely ecstatic 3ks later when I realised I still had time to scrape in.

Debra's running a pearler, lets hope she can sustain this, night falls and hopefully cools off a bit :)
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    SS's tracker says she's gone to bed!

• marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid it's even worse than that. She has turned pink on the results page. :'(
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Nooooooo!!!!!!!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    It's a damned tough day out there. You've got to be sensible and know when to quit so you can come back and fight another day. Well done SS!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    That was 50 miles in wasn't it at Knockholt Pound - hope she's OK - there's no crew access there but she should have a drop bag full of goodies.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    1st Place bloke - well up until now - has just DNF'd too.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    I only ran for 2 hours this morning and that was hot enough. Doing 50 miles is amazing and the achievement shouldn't be underestimated.

It looks like half the field possibly won't finish. Not surprised given the heat and the excitement of an actual race. A few people went off a little too quick dare I say....
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I just saw that SS has a 77k run on strava, I hoped that had just meant she’d synced/switched watches or something, but I guess reading your comments, sounds like stopped. But still an amazing achievement in this heat! 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    You've gotta know the heat to be able to deal with it properly, not a lot of people do, at least us Comrades are in the know - we know how it affects you and we know when to quit - no point being whacked into a hospital amidst covid patients through being reckless in a race you didn't need to dehydrate yourself close to unconsciousness in.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Meanwhile Debra cruises into the night! Go girl!
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Definitely agree, deciding to stop is a really tough decision, but so much more sensible than collapsing and doing damage! I volunteered on the Lakeland 100 a few years back (at about mile 80) it was amazing to see the variety of states runners were in! There were definitely some that you had to catch and guide to a seat or space to lie down! 
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Oh no! Came back to see SS has dropped at Knockholt, or perhaps she just missed the cut off, can't work out what time that would be for Snail. Fantastic to have done 50 miles and a lot of people seem to have decided that was enough. Looks like the leader has pulled out too, even though they were still leading when they dropped. Whilst Debra looks to be pacing it really well. The route is a bit tricky after Holly Hill, but she's been over that section twice so she should have no problems there, and there aren't any massive hills for a bit either. Hope she's feeling strong. Can she even make the women's podium? Bit of a tough ask as she'd have to make up 40 minutes, but she's looking good.
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Looks like Debra's made her way through the deep dark woods after Holly Hill without any problems. I'm off to bed, and hope by the time I wake up she'll have finished.
    marty74, agree with you about people (mostly men) going off too fast. Compare some of the leading men who are now slowing down a lot to the current women's leader who went off at 10 minute mile pace; to Debra who was 80th at the first checkpoint and is now 29th; and M70 Kenneth Fancett, who's worked his way up into the Top 20 men. Not sure I'd have been as well disciplined as them. 
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Night Stan, Debra's cruising over the Medway Bridge on her way to Bluebell Hill :)
  • Hi all. Thanks for following. I did indeed DNF at knockholt pound 50 miles in. It wasn’t a time thing. I had over an hour and a half before being pulled. But I felt very sick and stomach hurt and was shaking and feet were badly blistered. Right foot only. All hot spots which actually had compeed on them. The last 2 miles took 45 minutes. I just knew I couldn’t do another 53 in the time. I’m truly gutted but it was so damn hot and humid out there. Bumped into Debra at the bag drop and we walked to the start and went off together at 6.29am. She’ll storm it. Good luck to her. I’m still really thirsty. The tailwind product was probably way to dilute. I possibly had too much to drink but boy was it hot 🥵 
    And yes apparently my tracker stopped at 11ish. I kept mentioning it at the aid stations but nothing they could do. It was strapped to me the whole time!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Well done SS, great to hear from you, no way you could have continued with all that going on. Had a great time trying to figure out where you were, brilliant when you clocked through Botley Hill after your tracker went AWOL :) Hope you recover swiftly.
    Debra is battling on and just through Bluebell Hill couple of other girls biting at her heels!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Well done, SS. Conditions were brutal out there. It must have been a tough decision to stop, but sounds like the right one. As 1owrez and McHilly said, better that than doing damage or ending up needing hospital. Hope you are recovering well now.
    Just checked on Debra and she's past Charing and about 4 miles from the finish. Going to be really tight, but she may even squeak under 24 hours. Looking at the finish times so far it looks like it's taking 4 to 5 hours longer than it normally would, and less than half of the starters are going to finish, compared to, I think, about two thirds on average.
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    SS hope you recover well, definitely sounds like you made right decision. 
    I’m enjoying early morning dot following, looks like Debra is still going well, will she make the podium? Results show 3 women have already finished, but one of them is named “James”!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Can't believe I'm so excited following a dot on a screen. She's in the last mile, and just a few minutes off being third woman, but could still be in the top 20 overall.
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Either the tracker's a bit out or she's taken a wrong turning off the roundabout...
  • Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    I lost the dot for a while! But now looks as if about 200m to go!
  • baldstanbaldstan ✭✭✭
    Phew. It was the tracker. She's finished. 24h 43m and 4th woman. Well done Debra!