My Last Run

Comments

• Smelt like the devil had taken up residence somewhere in the region of my feet and it wasn't those!

I'm not a good descender either, I brake too much. I don't like the jolting of heel landing but forefooting neither.

That is nasty warm for (not) sleeping.  Might be an idea to dump the long run tomorrow or at least take a route you can easily cut short if you need to.

Warm and very humid this morning, around recovery pace ideal for comfort although the legs would have liked to gone faster. I also put in some short strides at the end on a slight incline rather than on the flat. Means I concentrate on form rather than speed which I guess is a good thing. Around 5.2 miles.
  • I actually got 6 hours last night (which isn't bad for me - I typically get 6.5 but it's often less). The earplugs have been a game changer.

I managed 16 miles today. Didn't feel too hot when I went out at 5:30am - muggy though.

I decided to do a bit of the Wandle Trail again, though I skipped the bottom bit and started at Collier's Wood. It almost ended in disaster when I rolled my ankle just before Morden Hall Park (mile 3) - I had to stop for a few seconds and walk a little. The actual ankle roll wasn't too bad (that's the ankle I've sprained multiple times - the ligaments are loose enough now it's pretty hard to do any real damage) but I also managed to tweak my bad groin a bit at the same time. Once I got running again the ankle was OK - a little sore on top of the foot but that passed. The groin twinge settled after about another mile but I'll be keeping my eye on both for the rest of the day.

Today I decided to explore as far as Hackbridge - the park there is actually really nice. Then I popped into Wilderness Island (a little nature reserve off the Wandle which only has one entrance so there's no way through, just in and around and back the way you came) on the way back as I was curious. It's mostly trees and narrow trails and I had to slow right down as I didn't want to roll my damn ankle again on the tree roots. 

Came back via Mitcham Common. That common is so confusing due to the fact it's in sections due to the roads that go through it, and one section looks much like another. Went the wrong way again but at least I knew where I was from the last time I went the wrong way. :D  Had to take it easy through the common, too, as it's bloody lumpy and quite hard to run on in places. Pace picked up once I got back on pavements again but the last few miles felt pretty laboured. It was getting warmer so I was thankful there was actually a breeze as I was going up Streatham Hill.

Anyway, that brings me to 52 miles for the week, which is my first 50+ since the groin injury in June.

Tomorrow will be a rest - I've booked the gym for 9:30 and will probably do a walk at some point, but no more than three miles.

• Glad you got a decent night's sleep. Ouch to the ankle / groin tweak but well done for staying upright. Nice early start again, you must have nearly finished your run by the time I set out on mine. (Ignoring the hour time difference). I like it that your exploring also takes in long runs, guess there can be a risk of going overdistance which might not be fun. I would worry about that. Good news on the distance and have a nice running rest day tomorrow.

Similar distance for me too, 16.2 miles in 2:15. Less potential for exploring being an up and down a localish river, mostly in the shade. Not having done a longer run or speedwork in the last days the legs felt fairly fresh so I sprinkled in a couple of faster miles despite carrying a hydro rucksack and despite the humidity and warmth. Managed to trip and fall again, minor grazes this time, though did whack the bruised knee again. Ran another 8 miles on it though with no more than mild aching.  Quite a few people out already to beat the heat, most returned my good morning greetings. Passed a kids athletics meeting - good to see some things going on again.
  • Yeah that's happened to me, Hazelnut - I was looking for a particular hill in Wimbledon one time, on the homeward leg of a 20 miler, and I turned the wrong way. Carried on down some roads and found myself right at the wrong end of Wimbledon Common. Ended up being a 22 miler. :D
    Sorry about the knee but glad it's not too bad. Your 16 miler was 40 minutes faster than mind, despite your tumble.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Hazel: a dull pain during a beach section - flat and firm - started in the high hamstring and got more acute as I off-roaded it to the end of my run.  Walking, inclines & stairs were problematic.  Maybe 30 years ago, I used to do a great deal of driving in connection with my research work.  A similar pain arose, and I blamed a partially collapsed edge of the seat.  Nothing was done today, not even stretching, the first rest day for 24 days, the day after the injury.  It's improving and I'll try 10 minutes slow on flat & firm this Saturday.  Glad your hurts are healing.  The tom cat which patrols his estate over my wall has been sticking to the shade these past 3 hot days.

Cal: your injury is healing - that's good.  Descending?  I was rubbish, and it rather spoilt my fell races.  It was that fear of going flying: as a human animal, I had the memory of a spectacular full-360 degree-rotation in the last 500 yd of a fell race in Todmorden.  At the St John's caravan, I gave up my place to a runner who's face was bathed in red :-o  I can't have been too bad, because I ran a 10-mile race near Derwentwater the next day!  Practising running as upright as possible and fixing the next landing point in one's vision helped but didn't restore enough confidence for me to descend well.  I enjoyed your route description and admire your 50+ weekly mileage.

Re: continuing after a tumble.  It's that pride thing, isn't it?  The adrenaline hit helps to dull the worst of the pain and I found that, as long as my gait was unaffected, I'd get back into a rhythm again.  Trouble is, the delayed aching and pain from the jiggling and joggling.  I think I've only walked home after a fall - about half a mile into my run.  Once again, the learning process helped me settle on as few roads as possible, so it's off to the beach & trails for me these days!

Keep the rubber side down, ladies!  :-)

• JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Hazelnut,after reading your post about your cat I couldn't get the song smelly cat from Friends out of my head!Great 16 miles,hope your run of trips come to an end.Going to be slightly cooler this week with thundery showers.

Well done on your 50 plus week Cal.I was driving to work as you embarked on your 16 miles.Hope all of your niggles are behaving themselves.

A very easy 5 miles Friday.Saturday was supposed to be a trail run along the river but after less than 2 miles my left knee gave out a loud crack,so I gently jogged back home.My knee was swollen yesterday but much better today,so I'll try and get out after work.

The Snowdonia HM has been pushed back to December,so hopefully it will go ahead now.

• GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Glad you're at least getting some exercise in, swittle. Take it easy and hopefully the week after next you'll be able to try a run. And you're right the training does appear to be paying off.

Sorry to hear you fell again, Hazelnut, but glad there's no serious damage. And well done on the 16 miler in that time. I'd have been happy doing an HM in that considering the heat at the moment.

Good work on the 50+ mile week, Cal and hopefully you're groin isn't too bad. Hill descents are, as swittle mentions, a matter of confidence. If it's a spectacularly steep descent then I tend to do a sideways step kind of thing. 

I hope the knee isn't too bad, JD. Go steady on it. Great time for the 5K, can only dream of that.

The runs to report. Thursday was a speed session which was just my partner and I as the others we met decided on a slow run, probably due to the heat. We did a couple of sets of pyramid sprints and then three 1km circuits with a 350m hill which we sprinted up and then jog recovery round. Very hot and very tough.

Saturday was a 5 miler along the seafront from Hove to Southwick. The carp park was absolutely rammed and the beaches were filling up. Even with a breeze the temperature was difficult to cope with and so we ensured we kept it to a reasonable pace. With the speed work we've been doing I'm finding I'm not getting so caught up in trying to push the pace on the easy runs, which is good. It was the day after the leg session at the gym, only this time my legs didn't scream at me. Which means that I've either strengthened them or heeded my partners warning to not go mad. I suspect the latter. That evening as I was doing dinner I somehow managed to catch my left big toe on my right heel, giving it a bit of a kick. I didn't really think anything of it until we noticed a trail of blood on the kitchen floor. Looked down to see I'd ripped off a chunk of my toe nail.

Sunday we'd planned to do a 10 miler along the Adur, however the heat from the previous day had us wondering how wise that was. We went out earlier, but it was still 26C. For the first 1km my toe was really quite sore and had me wondering if I'd be able to continue, but that soon wore off. Instead it was my partner who was struggling with the heat, even though we had a decent breeze in our face. Ultimately we decided to cut the run short, turning round at the bridge rather than crossing over and carrying on. The pace was reasonable, but she said she didn't have anything in her legs. 
  • JD, I hope that knee holds up OK.
    GD, probably sensible to cut that short, especially with a dodgy toe.

Over 30 degrees in my room last night and it'll be the same today if not worse since it's only down to 28 now. I'm somehow managing to sleep a bit but I've had to be strict with myself about not taking an afternoon nap so I'm tired at bedtime.
    Got out for 6 this morning and the humidity was so bad I wasn't sure if I was doing a run or a swim. Groin gave me a good twinge during the first mile but I jabbed it with my finger and it stopped. Not sure if that actually released something or if it was psychological. Achilles wasn't great either - I don't think the ankle roll on Sunday helped much. But hey ho, the rest of the run was OK considering the conditions.
    Gym again later.
  • HazelnutCHHazelnutCH ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Ouch JD loud crack and swelling in the knee doesn't sound too great - hope it is better now? Are you signed up for the Snowdonia HM?

From what I've read and seen swittle UK fell racing is a much tougher thing than what I do in my hill racing. Don't think I would be up to that! 

Some tough runs in the heat GD.  Ouch to your toe!

Good the groin shut up Cal.  Hope the gym is a bit cooler than the your room.

Still managing to get out pre-work though it means I start work later than I would like.  Need to try to get to bed earlier.   

Yesterday's outing was a 4.1 mile more or less recovery paced run - the less section was a nice gradual decline which I almost always speed up on.  Had a short stop due to an encounter with a young black lab with a long stick protruding out of its mouth - I wasn't keen on the idea of being tripped up!  Such was its curiosity that it took a couple of rattles of the goodies bag for it to return to its owner. 

Today was a 6.4 miler at a faster 8:22 m/m average.  Should have been a bit slower as well really but I felt a bit lively.  Today's dog encounter was with a sheepdog which rushed out of a farm I was passing.  Friendly though and after a couple of words I could get going again.

Both runs weren't too bad with regards to the warmth / heat at around 20 degrees and I am getting used to having sweat dripping off the end of my chin due to the humidity rather than effort though I don't really enjoy it.  Hopefully just a couple more days of this before temps drop a bit at least.
  • The gym is a lot cooler, thankfully. Even so I was sweating quite a bit despite most of the exercises being inweighted.

Another very hot night (30.9 on the theromostat at bedtime) so I woke a few times and then got up before 4. Problem now is it's getting light much later - I'll soon be starting my runs in the dark. But I got out at 5:20ish and it was light enough to see where I was going.

My rough plan for today was an MLR with a neg split (hopefully getting up to MP so I opted for the Tooting/Wandle/St George's Park route I used for my Vet Runners virtual races last week. I was going to do the Wandle/park loop twice, but as I got to the end of the park for the first time I realised I wasn't going to want to go around again - it was pretty humid. I'd been slowly gaining speed so I figured I'd just do a progression run with a cool-down mile or two instead.
    I did repeat the Wandle section, which was my fastest mile at 8:52 (faster than MP) but I was ready to stop then. I began a cool-down mile and I didn't feel great - very tired and almost a bit spaced out. I was quite ready to quit after that mile but when it came in, it was still quite fast (9:53 which is what I'd term steady pace rather than easy) so I decided to slow down further and give it another mile, especially as I was still a good way from home. Unfortunately, that last mile was mostly uphill so I was far from recovered when I stopped and I walked a further mile to cool-down properly.
    I know I don't use a proper HR monitor, but my watch does seem to be quite consistent and it was hitting high 170s for the last four miles (including the two cool-down miles) with a peak of 185. No wonder I didn't feel great at the end! Just as well I walked another mile to allow it come down again. Heat, dehydration and lack of sleep will have all had an effect here so I'm not worried, but it is quite interesting that my HR goes a lot higher than almost every formula thinks it should.

• Roll on autumn - not for the lack of daylight, the gradual decline is already noticeable though I very rarely see sunrise at this time of year anyway - more an observation of sunset.  Looking forward to cooler days and nights. 

Uphills on cool-downs are nasty.  Good idea to put in a walk at the end to calm everything down.  An optical HRM could be picking up on your cadence as well - can you see a correlation?  Good progression run.

More general aerobic miles today: 5 with splits between 8:18 (ups) and 8:30 (more where it should be).  Then 6 x strides, walking back between each and final jog for 6.6 miles in 59 mins.  Also did a cool-down walk up the woods home.
  • You and me both, Hazelnut. I think today's was the first sunrise I've seen in a while as the sun's up so early midsummer.
    You might be right about cadence, but there's also a correlation with speed. Throw in some cardiac drift, the humidity and a bit of dehydration (I lost a couple of pounds on that run) and it's unsurprising the ticker was working harder than usual. The next run will definitely be an easy one.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about the heat in the flat, Cal, doesn't sound perfect. Much the same here and I ended up getting up at 1am as I just couldn't sleep with the heat. Well done on the run and glad you're able to get back into the gym as well.

Good couple of runs, Hazelnut and nice dog meets. Strange, rarely come across dogs and certainly none that seem interested.

'Bubble' run along the Adur yesterday evening and boy was it tough. Steamy conditions from the word go, even though we didn't start until nearly 7pm due to abnormal traffic at Shoreham. Only 4 of us as we had a drop-out and we did set off at a reasonable pace. At least the path afforded some shelter, but got glimpses of the sun casting its rays over the glass like water. We even discovered a drinking water tap and trough, which we gratefully made use of at the turnaround. Was a bit quicker on the way back and I was absolutely soaked in sweat by the time we finished. Weighed myself when we got home and I'd lost about 4lbs just in fluids. Consequently part of me not sleeping well was waking up with a raging thirst, so I've made sure I've drunk plenty today.
  • Yeah I'm waking up a lot in the night. Fortunately last night I got almost 7 hours, with two wake-ups.
    5 mile recovery run today - bit of drizzle which was welcome and my flat temp's come down to 28 as of this morning. Outdoor temps will be less nuclear today (27) but stormy, apparently.
  • Good to have a source of water GD.  That is a big weight loss. 

Hope your flat is getting better Cal. 

Didn't get up in time yesterday morning to do a longer run and plans to go out over midday were also dropped due to a burst of heavy rain turning up (wimp).  Mid-afternoon before I got going therefore.  With cooler temps and a mostly shady route it was bearable to run then unlike in the last days.  11.75 miles on an undulating route.  This took in an evil flight of steps I usually avoid.  My DNF race recently had quite a few flights of similar and I was pretty crap at doing these so I decided I needed the practice.  Tripped on step no. 2. but just a slight hands down stumble - wasn't going fast enough for a proper fall.  Got me picking my feet up properly for the rest though.  The water source on route had very little pressure behind it, took forever to get a few gulps.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Certainly, the sub-tropical weather on Costa del Crosby has reduced the pace of life somewhat - but it's clear some enjoy exercising when the temperature's high, while others check the calendar for autumn's arrival!  

JD1 - I hope there's good news on the knee front.

Guarddog - discretion will almost always be the better part of valour!  Hope your partner's fully recovered.

Cal - the Radio 4 weather forecasts now include 'tropical nights' as a term that matches your description.  Many swear by training according to HR and, in principle, I'd try it.  Well done on your toasty session. 

Hazel: both the changes in terrain and the ascent lend huge variety to fell races.  It was an easy enough switch from training on trails to some less challenging fell races but navigation had me beaten on a few courses.  'Part marked' = a straggly strip of red/white tape every half mile...if you're lucky!  Here's an appropriately old skool summary of how races are classified.  I only managed one class 'A' race...and was 3rd from last out of 100.https://www.fellrunner.org.uk/documents/FRA_rules_for_competition.pdf

To divert sweat, a thin smear of 'Vaseline' above the eyebrows can help.

Five gym sessions in a row this week, with a mile warm up/cool down walk each day.  There's a dull ache at times at the head of the hammy but I've persisted with curls, both prone and single leg.  A complete day off tomorrow: if I had a Bath chair, I'd be wheeling myself around the house in that!  Sunday's marked up for 10 min. walk - 10 min. beach run - 10 min. walk.  I'll keep you briefed....

Stay cool, keep safe, run smart :-)

• It's much more tolerable now, Hazelnut - 25.5 last night. Still very warm and being a menopausal biddy, I get hot in bed unless it's pretty much freezing.
    Good work on the stairs and glad you didn't fall again.
    swittle - sounds like my hamstring. Pain in the arse. Literally.

As it's only four weeks until Richmond 10K I thought I'd better have a get back to my weekly 5Ks today. I did a 2 mile warm-up (slow first mile and some strides in the second mile) then ran the Tooting Common parkrun course. This isn't as fast as the road triangle I've been using for my fast runs (one side of the Tooting triangle is dirt, and one of the hard paths is lumpy and has a slight incline) but I was curious. I wasn't going to go all out - not ready for that yet - but I'd intended to get faster with each lap. And I failed. Did the first mile in just over 9, then the next in 8:45, but the last full mile was 8:55. The only bit where I hit 5K pace was the last .11. Time was 27:37 which is pretty poor (given I was on the cusp of breaking 24 when I got injured, that's a big difference, even accounting for the course, the humidity and the fact I wasn't wearing my Turbos rather than Zoom Flys or 4%)
    On the plus side, my groin was OK.
    I jogged another mile home.
    I am going to have to work on my speed if I'm not going to embarrass myself at the Richmond 10K but I'm also having to get my long runs back up again for Dorney. As I've been doing 16 milers regularly I don't think the distance will be a problem but speed definitely is at the moment.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

I couldn't agree more with roll on autumn,Hazelnut.I've noticed the darker mornings as well.The young black lab wasn't my Polly......honestly!A goody bag always does the trick.I'm down for the Snowdonia HM,fingers crossed it will go ahead in December.

Hope your flat is slightly more tolerable now,Cal.I'm sure you'll find  your speed again soon.Is Richmond definitely on?

Nice bubble run GD.That's some weight lose over a run.I could do with finding a decent water source when out.

Hope your walk/run goes well tomorrow Swittle.

Went out for a very easy 5 miles on Monday but my knee was still swollen.So decided to rest it all week,not a hard decision with it being so hot all week.Went out this afternoon for just over 8 miles,my knee made a few clicks but was fine overall.Did the first 4 miles in 30 mins but really struggled with the last 3 miles,I was working last night and I reckon I didn't take enough water on last night.

Went past a herd of cows cooling off in the canal and holding up the boat traffic.Also spotted 5 foals frolicking in the fields,really nice to see.

My local gym was supposed to open this Monday but was flooded out last Wednesday,so not sure when it'll open now.

• Yeah I wish they'd put the clocks back sooner. Don't care about the dark evenings but I don't like it dark at 6am, which it will be soon.
    Flat is a lot more tolerable. 23 degrees at the moment. Which means I can play games on my PC and cook things without worrying about making my flat even hotter.

Nice foal spotting, JD. I sometimes see horses on my runs, but not foals, and definitely not cows (although Osterley Park has some Jerseys, or maybe Guernseys - that's almost out to Heathrow, though).

Now I’ve actually booked a marathon I need to work back up to 20 mile long runs. Today’s was 18, albeit a very hilly 18 (410m gain according to Garmin, or 1500 feet in Strava, which seems to exagerrate a little) which is probably worth a 20, honestly. First mission was to find Hell Hill, the big bastard through Dulwich Woods I’d failed to find a couple of weeks ago due to a navigation error, and I ticked it off today (it was tough, but not as bad as some of the others later in the run). That was followed by a foray into Crystal Palace park, a lap of the winter parkrun course, past the dinosaur lake (the bit with the dinosaurs was almost empty – not sure whether the weather is responsible or if they’ve drained it to do some work on the dinos) and then on to all the lovely hills – Fox Hill, Stambourne Woodland Walk, a tour of Beaulieu Heights and then Cypress Road.
    Quick tour of Grangewood Park before whizzing down the Lawns, after which disaster struck – epic faceplant coming back down Waddington Way. That’s the second time I’ve fallen over in two weeks! This was a bit different though, as I was coming downhill so weight was in a different place and I didn’t manage to get my arms out. I landed with my hands under me so I actually managed to skin my left shoulder and I felt my left cheekbone touch the pavement (it wasn’t so much as dirty though – shoulder took the brunt of it). Both knees grazed but the worst thing is my left hand – the outer metacarpal (under my little finger) is very tender. Hopefully it’s just bruised rather than fractured – I can move the hand normally and I can’t hear any crepitus, but I don’t think I’ll be doing any push-ups for a few days.
    Concerned man asked if I was OK so I said yes and dusted myself off and got going again. That included huffing and puffing up Gibson’s Hill, which was the last hill of the run, and then heading home.
    The most positive thing was I got the 18 miles easily and had a bit of fuel in the tank at the end, despite not taking any gels (I took water – it was very humid). Legs actually don’t feel too achey, amazingly, which they normally do after a long run.
    Negative (aside from the fall) was the achilles was a little bitch and I actually had some plantar discomfort while I was running around CP park. Need to keep an eye on that as PF is one injury I’ve not suffered with – hopefully it’s just tight because of the achilles. (Both of these eased a bit after I’d done the big hills – go figure). High hammy behaved a lot better though, so that’s another positive.
  • Hope that you haven't come back to say if the run attempt went ok doesn't mean that it wasn't good swittle.  Well done on the gym work.  I likely wouldn't be any good at the navigation side of fell races.  Orienteering is a popular sport here - maybe I should give that a go at some point.   

Wouldn't worry too much about the 5k Cal.  Give it better conditions and the fast shoes and you will do better.  You should have a very good base from the last weeks for Dorney as the 18 confirms but be careful with those niggles.  Ouch to another fall - we seem to be making a habit of it.  Hope the hand is ok today.

Good news on the knee JD.  Like the idea of the cows causing a jam in the canal.  Hopefully they could get out again ok.  The foals must have been very cute as well.

Didn't post over the weekend so a recovery - long run - sandwich to report.  Recoveries on Friday (5 miles ish) and Sunday (4 miles) and a 16 miler on Saturday.  Can't remember any details really now already so I guess nothing especially negative or really positive happened. 
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Cal: hopefully, the drizzle & rain that's falling on Costa del Crosby will help you feel more comfortable running.  A good runner once told me that to race fast, I'd to train fast.  I tried to follow this advice but didn't find I had the qualities that would lead to progress...so I settled for being not so fast. ;)  Anyhoo, with a Mara looming, the LSD is definitely your friend - with added ascent for strength & stamina.  It's great work!
    That's a nasty fall - as you say, getting hands down gives a useful shock absorber and often saves scuffs elsewhere.  Heal soon :)

JD1 - +1 here for an early autumn: I go grease spot in the sun.  Would love to have seen the navigation cows!  Best wishes for a swift recovery.

Hazel: I didn't get focused on going out until 8.30pm BST and ditched the 'tarmac' course for the tried n tested beach.  The tide was forming large pools and filling channels as it crept in and a small boy paddled.  His dad asked if I was swimming!  A slow, cautious start, breathing surprisingly even at 7 minutes when I turned for the prom, and then, after 10 mins, I paused for a min., then over the dunes and to the Marine Gardens.  1.1 miles, 13:36, and only a faint ache in the sit-upon.  Busier in shipping terms than a few Sundays ago, and some passing grey clouds gifted me a gentle, cooling drizzle.  This morning, the leg's OK after precautionary icing.
    btw, I think 25 miles in three consecutive days is well worth a mention.  :)
  • swittle, it's been patchy weather here - sunny and then drizzly but I got caught in a proper downpour when walking back from the gym yesterday. (The gym was interesting since the injuries I'd got from my tumble ruled out a lot of stuff - anything done on hands and/or knees like planks, donkey kicks, etc, and anything that involved actually holding a weight. So I ended up doing mostly glute stuff with bands). Anyway, while it's still quite humid and warm, it certainly feels a lot cooler than during the heatwave, for which I'm thankful.
    Hazelnut, I guess no news is good news then? Sounds productive in any case.

Getting out of bed this morning felt like hauling myself out of a swimming pool - that moment when you go from weightless to feeling all the gravity pulling you down. Given yesterday was an easy day, I'm not sure why that was - I guess Sunday took more out of me than I thought. Fortunately I only had a recovery run planned for today.
    The first mile felt rather awkward and was painfully slow (couldn't seem to get my legs to move) but after that it got better and I added some strides to the final mile. First couple weren't great but the last two felt pretty good so hopefully I'll have a bit more pep in my legs tomorrow.
    Bonus: I did not fall over today (although I almost rolled my ankle in a pothole).
  • Relieved to hear that swittle. 

Good you found some exercices you could do in the gym Cal and you managed to stay upright on your run this morning. 

My run yesterday evening was similar to Cal's.  Legs heavy and unwilling - I think due to having been sat down most of Sunday.  OH joined me for a mile or so and then trotted off on his own route as he wanted to do a longer distance than I had planned and no strides.  After he had left I resisted the temptation to hunt down a bright yellow vest ahead though I did slowly gain on it.    The owner turned off anyway so I finished off the 4 miles and then did a set of 8 strides.  A bit cooler now but as soon as the sun comes out things quickly get sauna-like due to the recent rain.
  • JD1JD1 ✭✭✭

Nice weekend mileage,Hazelnut.I'd been tempted to hunt down the yellow vest.

Great 18 miler Cal.Unlucky with the fall again,they're the worst when you can't get your arms out to break the fall.I feel embarrassed when asked if I'm ok after a fall.

Good to see you out again,Swittle.

6.3 hilly trail run Sunday,with just over 800ft climb.9.52 miles this afternoon,still fairly warm and humid.Did a mile lap around Llangollen,very busy with day trippers.Averaged dead on 8 mm so a fairly good workout.

• Good couple of outings JD.  8mm average is good going especially dodging the tourists.

Standard group trot yesterday evening.  Was almost expecting no-one else to turn up as a minor thunderstorm passed through just before the meeting time and our planned summer social for that evening had been called off due to lack of participants (and the current corona situation).  Pleased therefore when 6 others arrived.  Two took the shorter route, we remaining the longer, taking advantage of the reasonable conditions (just a bit too humid but not hot) to put in a bit of effort up the hills in the second half.  6.5 miles in 58:19.
  • JD, the man who saw me actually let out a shocked "oooh" when I went down. :D Right arm is almost back to normal so the gym should be easier today.
    That's a good pace for a hilly trail run.
    Glad you're enjoying your runs, Hazlenut. Sorry you missed your social but at least you're able to do group runs.

Seven miles for me today including seven hill reps on Theatre Street in Clapham. It's an 8-9% with a decent pavement and fairly constant gradient, and the parallel road next to it makes for an easy hill circuit. I was going for six but decided to do a seventh - legs started to struggle a bit so decided not to go for an eighth.
    Three tabby cats on my run today - one was at the bottom of Theatre Street and watched me go past a couple of times before departing. I passed another later on and said hello to him and he meowed back at me.
    This runner has gone two days without an accident.
  • GuarddogGuarddog ✭✭✭
    Good runs, Hazelnut, and glad your group run went ahead. Have to say I do enjoy the 'bubble' runs we do, nice to meet up with other people.

Glad to hear you've managed to stay upright for two days now, Cal. Doesn't sound as if too much damage has been done and well done on the 18 miler. 

Good to hear you're back running, swittle. Were there any after effects or is everything still responding well?

Likewise with the knee, JD, and the cow spotting in the canal. Quite a sight. Hopefully not too long before your gym dries out.

Three runs to report. We both decided to eschew the speed run last Thursday, partner had a bad headache and I'd just run out of steam with it being so hot. I realised that was the first time I'd not done any exercise (run or gym) in about 4 weeks, so probably good to have a rest.

On the Saturday we planned an easy run from Hove to Southwick and back. Initially felt cooler with overcast conditions, but the temperature was still showing 25C. The 3 days since the previous run meant the legs felt fresher and consequently the pace was quicker that it should have been. We decided to run beyond our normal turning point at the Carrots Cafe and carried on a further KM to the end of the harbour wall. A short stop whilst we chatted to one of the anglers before heading back. We ended up doing 10K and felt the humid conditions. Not helped by the fact I made the schoolboy error of wearing my new club technical t-shirt rather than a vest. Although a size small it still hangs a bit and with the sweat I suffered sore nipples!!

Sunday we did a 10 miler. Temp down to 21C and again overcast, so felt relatively comfortable. Ran by the Adur and carried on to Upper Beeding where we followed what we hoped would be an interesting path. It wasn't. Pace was sensible compared to the previous days, but the legs felt heavy. Did take water with us and so stopped a couple of times to take on fluid. Even though I'd put a vest on I was still soaked and even with vaseline smeared on them the nips were again suffering, so ended up taking the vest off. It was nice to feel the cool breeze and saved further soreness. We finished with the clouds looking quite threatening and managed to get home before the rain started to bucket down.

Yesterday was the 'bubble' run. Two new club members joined us, one a very good runner who will no doubt score points for us when the league races start again. Started in Portslade and made our way through Mile Oak and then onto the Downs for a rather hilly session heading towards Devil's Dyke. Two of the runners took the longer route (an extra 500m) whilst the rest of us took the slightly easier option with the aim to meet at one of the gates. We got there, they didn't and there was no sign of them on the horizon. After standing around for a few minutes I jogged off in the general direction they should have been coming from to see if I could see them. Eventually spotted coming back up the hill. They'd missed the path and then got confused, so were rather glad to see me, although it had added a further half a mile to my run. It was all a downhill run after that and ended up doing. 6.8 miles. Suffice to say the sun was well on its way down by the time we got back. Not keen on the nights drawing in. But very glad of the spag bol when we got home. 

Gym session this morning and I have to admit I am enjoying the sessions there. I had lost about half a stone during lockdown which I'd figured was down to muscle loss, but having been able to get back in for the last 4 weeks the weight is still heading south.
  • swittleswittle ✭✭✭
    Thanks, all.  Analysis has revealed that a gym session, including legs, followed by a run, is not optimal.  I don't do anything at all heavy on leg raises, press and hammy curl, but that, combined with a 22 deg. C evening, made Tuesday's run a trial.  
    Yesterday evening, having rested much of the day and stretched lightly, I managed just on 2 miles without a pause.  The beach is very forgiving when coming back from leg injury but I managed some levellish trail too.

Hazel: chasing down your OH must've been a temptation!  Wise to ease up a tad, I think.

JD1 - those are fell race measures!  Well done, sir.

Cal - Theatre Street is an interesting name.  You were playing 'cats up' with your training, then... ;)

Guarddog - good effort to have kep up with your sessions in the humidity.  The latest depressions are lifting the weather and the strong winds even woke me at 2 this morning.  Glad you managed to find the 'lost sheep'!  
    The gym owner, a former EFBB British champion, told me that weight training ought to be better known for its body trimming qualities.
  • Good news on your arm Cal. Well done on the extra rep - not easy to do. Nice cat spotting.

Good exercice streak GD and a nice weekend of running. Had the angler got any fish? Ouch to the nips! Good your group got itself sorted. Maybe stop at the Carrots Cafe on your next run past to prevent extra weight loss?

Good news you have been out again swittle. Beach/trail certainly nicer than pounding tarmac.

8 flat miles yesterday midday in 1:08 - treated myself by cycling rather than running down into the neighbouring valley. No more than 80m or so of descent but what goes down must come back up and cycling was easier. Up and down the brook - saw several blue dragonflies and herons. Also took a couple of mins before hopping back on to the wheels for a peak into the water and found some mini fish and heard two small somethings whizz through the grass into the water. It being midday it was pretty warm when the light clouds went elsewhere and having forgotten the suncream I got burnt shoulders.

Back to morning running today due to 30+ heat for the next couple of days again. Out at 7:15 for 12.5 miles in 1:48. Held back for the first 4 or so miles, then 5 with easy progression and the remainder home steady. Didn't really enjoy the last bit as I was getting hungry and likely dehydrated.   Around 23 by the time I was back and humid meant more soggy clothing.