Comrades 2021

Comments

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    And results now show finished :-) congrats Debra! Awesome 
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Brilliant Debra well done. You should be well proud of your achievement.
  • Thanks. Still really thirsty but haven't got the shakes.

Wow well done Debra  Fantastic
  • Terry48Terry48 ✭✭✭
    Well done Debra and SS in really tough conditions. Great time Debra. 
    Very sensible to stop when you did SS.

Time for some hard earned R+R.  I hope you're already recovering well.
  • marty74marty74 ✭✭✭
    Glad you are feeling better SS. Was fun following you yesterday. At least you had your "sensible" head on when you decided enough was enough. Like lowrez said before, better that, than ending up in hospital at the moment. Still massive what you did yesterday. Take care.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Yay, Debra home and what an amazing run, well done :) can't wait for her to report in.

Good to see you on the board SS, I hear pina coladas are good for thirst quenching :)

I kept waking up to check dots but ultimately konked out completely :D
  • Strangely enough although I had a bit of stomach pain and lower back ache for my last 2 miles, I didn't actually feel too bad and had no intention of stopping. But when I got to Knockholt pound, I suddenly felt awful and when I sat down my hands started shaking really badly. Had food and tea and changed one shoe but the blisters on the other were causing me a lot of problems. Maybe I should have left the sock on (taking it off removed the blister blasters) and just changed the shoe. Who knows?
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Blisters are such a difficult thing to understand and manage SS, at mile 70 on LLC l was completely fine but by 100 both feet were badly blistered and still 30 to go... arrgh... of course the aim should be to get none, and they reckon it's different for everyone, sounds like you might benefit from some taping, not compede, just straight massively sticky gaffer tape, the idea is the shiny surface moves in your sock and not the underlying skin, no shear force on the skin, no blisters...
    Once they were formed though, those blisters were only going to get worse.
  • PeterDHMPeterDHM ✭✭✭
    Well done SS and Debra!  Hope you are now feeling better SS, I managed 10 miles in the heat this morning and that was more than enough for me.  Great running Debra, fantastic running!  It must have been tough to keep running through the night after a day in the heat.
  • Snail, sympathies. There was a nearly 50% drop-out rate, so you're very far from being alone
    Longer report later. In brief, the heat was awful on Saturday afternoon but I took it fairly steady and did quite well until Detling to Hollingbourne - I got my nutrition wrong in that section and really paid for it from Hollingbourne onwards as my stomach and guts were not happy and my legs ran out of fuel and simply didn't want to run. So no sub-24, but it looks like I'm 4th woman and 1st VF50 - and I was faster than one of the fastest runners in our club (never thought I'd be able to say that about me vs him!).

• Congrats Debra and SS. I should have been in the UK this weekend and looks like the weather is perfect.
  • Snail: kinesiology tape, placed with ZERO stretch is the best for blister prevention - more effective and stays on better than Compeed or similar, and less nasty for the skin than gaffer tape.
  • Debra - congratulations on a brilliantly executed run.

SS - commiserations that things went a bit pear shaped...but welcome, fellow member, to the “DNF’d my first attempt at 100 miles at the NDW100” club...
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Cara Molinaro says Squirrel's Nut Butter with a change of socks and shoe rotation every check point :)
    Others apply body glide products and swear by particular yarn in their socks.
    Debra, you like Ninja Socks don't you? Did you use anything else on your feet? Change shoes etc? Did you get any blisters?
    Well done again, amazing effort and result :) Looks like 107 finishers and 128 dnfs. Loving the final time at 29:56, man after my own heart :D

• SD - I don't want to follow in your footsteps thanks. I know what you've done since!!!
    Well done on route marking. Better than the second section.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Warm up completed SS, get the gaffer tape out, entry for your next run here
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Slow Duck: I agree with Snail re. the marking. Your section was fab. Some of the reat was a bit light on markings. Even if there are no turn-offs, not seeing a bit of tape for ages has runners wondering if there -was- a turn-off and they failed to see it. Particularly when it's night and you're alone with no sign of runners either in front of you or behind. One runner commented to me that the marking 'wasn't up to usual Centurion standards' (of course that still puts it in front of what many other race organisers do!).
    lowrez: I think Injinji toesocks are fantastic (ToeToes much less good in my experience). Not cheap, however. I keep an eye out for any sales and stock up, as they don't last forever (in particular I wear the 'liner' socks with my FiveFingers, and the socks being so thin, they do wear through faster. I've also had some success with cheap pairs bought via the very large river, but I wouldn't risk wearing those for ultras, and they wear though faster than Injinjis.
    I changed socks and shoes at Knockholt Pound, hence a long stop there. Needed wet wipes to get all the dust off my feet before putting the clean socks on. But they felt great. No blisters.
  • Becca7Becca7 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic achievement Debra and it's great to see all the training that you did paying off.

Credit also to Snail for a covering a great distance and knowing when to stop.
  • Mac3Mac3 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Debra, great achievement in those conditions, not just to finish but to place so highly.  But commiserations to SS.  You still covered a long way in very tough conditions.  But knowing when to stop is important.
  • Wow, not been on here for a couple of weeks, so many posts I thought Comrades had taken place over the weekend! Blooming well done to the weekend's runners in what was warm conditions, both reflecting decent potential Comrades finishing too!
  • Debra BourneDebra Bourne ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Snail, how are you feeling today? How's the blistered foot? Hope you're doing okay. Sorry you had problems with your tracker - I would have forgotten mine entirely if you hadn't picked yours up.
    Thanks, baldstan, Mc Hilly, Marty, Snail, Terry, lowrez, Peter, Dubairunner, Slow Duck, Mac 3, Mark - it was amazing seeing everyone's comments from tracking. I was feeling wiped out until a bit after lunchtime today, but felt somewhat better since then. Feet are a little sore, but legs feel okay (tired, but okay) - I'm hoping I don't wake up tomorrow with horrible DOMS.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭
    SS- sorry it went a bit off, but wow - 50 miles is awesome.

Debra - brilliant, well done!
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Just had one of those periodic fishes in me junk mail folder and discovered Marathon Photos are selling all pics and videos in each event for "just" £7.95. I remember when I ran the above 10k with the finish in the Olympic stadium with my son; I was foaming at the mouth when they wouldn't cut a "family" deal for us - £34.95 each - which I never took up! Just splashed out on them. PS that time is well beyond my capability because I kept stopping to take photos of, well, everything ha ha... also made sure I finished running down lane 7 - Mr Bolt's lane in the 100m final that I went to see (boast, boast)...

• Canturion's Race Report for NDW100 is now up, together with the results: https://centurionrunning.com/reports/2020/ndw100-2020-race-report - I get a brief mention in the list of age category winners.
    There are some nice pics of me in the photos as well - might have to buy some.

• Mc HillyMc Hilly ✭✭✭
    Great report from the NDW100, enjoyed reading it
  • Debra - your mind definitely wasn't on trackers at the start!! Well done again on a well executed race and your 4th and 1st positions. You had a great run. My legs are the same - tired but ok. The blisters are fine in flip flops but I took one of our dogs to agility today so had to run round in trainers and was limping at the end. My little toe is a complete blister  :)

Right now although I still want to run I'm in a 'I can't be bothered to run long any more' sort of mood.

Have read the report too. Is there anywhere to still find the list of everyone, dnf's as well as finishers?
  • Snail: Thank you. Glad your legs are okay - suggests you were pacing correctly. Such bad luck about the blisters. I was lucky and didn't get any but have some rubs on my back from the pack.
    Take some time off long runs. Relax, enjoy shorter runs on nice trails. I have this week easy on the training then back into it: I have 5 weeks to Chiltern Wonderland 50, then 2 weeks to Tolkien Run (I plan to trot 50K), with Autumn 100 just 2 weeks after that - then three weeks to Halloween 100, 3 weeks after that to Wendover Woods night 50K and 2 weeks after that NDW50. After that it's just 2 or 3 SVN events to trot 50K. If I get through that lot okay, I'll run the Tadworth 10 if it's on, then have a couple of weeks off for proper recovery.

See email - hope it's what you wanted.
  • 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    Results here SS

https://www.centurionrunning.com/raceresult/5d56664b027e82253ca98114

Nice write up, the toggy takes a nice picture don't they, are any personal accounts in prep?

London have announced its virtual for Oct 4th, sorted me route, managed to get almost all of it on paved green-way or cycle routes. You also have 24 hours to complete it, which is a relief, although I will try harder than that :D

• lowrez: very well organised. Yes, he takes good pics. I need to look through the ones of me and see which to buy - can't buy them all at nearly £8 each (or £4 if you go for the low-res versions) and no bulk buy option. My report of NDW100 is about ready - but it's 5200 words... I plan to put it on my blog. Not sure about here - how many posts would that take???!!!
    Meanwhile there's some video shot by a guy not in the race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5pmG41U7fs – I appear from 4:57-5:02.

• 1owrez1owrez ✭✭✭
    A link to a blog should work Debra, looking forward to it :) Blimey that's a bit steep on the photos isn't it, here's a free screen grab...