Sub 3

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    2.59, 2.52, 2.49. 

A fairly grim 16 today. Think I was a bit dehydrated before I started but it's done. Notionally starting valencia training tomorrow but given the current situation in Spain I don't rate the chances of it going ahead as high.
  • I've not posted much lately but I will report a fairly grim 20 yesterday as my continued effort at getting into some sort of shape for VLM, should it happen.  Not surprising I struggled, I had picked last Friday afternoon as a good time to ride 90 miles into the Cotswolds to join the family who'd been there all week.  How was I to know it was going to hit 35C?

I can add a bit to earlier discussion, having done IM Wales back in 2012, as an end of season blowout in the days when you could still get a place 3 weeks out.  Yes, the swim mass start was ridiculous, we were so packed around the first buoy that we were just drifting as a mass group, you couldn't swim.  Loved almost every minute of the whole thing.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - valencia must have a good chance esp in 18(?) Weeks?

Cd - sounds a long hot ride. I fried myself a bit Saturday doing the mlr in the heat and humidity, but any race days we might get in the autumn will be cooler for sure.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    CD - Not a bad few days training.
    If the VLM announcement gives me the green light - I am out Friday afternoon happily running grim 16 or 20 milers.   If Valencia is on, Malaga is on. Pray for Valencia too.
    Stat alert:  I was quite surprised to see I've run a similar number of miles in 2020 so far as in 2019,2018 (1516, 1508, 1557) thought it would be notably less. Major difference previously would have raced 3-4 marathons so with the tapering and recovery.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    OO.. I still get the Valencia FB news and the Spanish runners seem a mixture of hopeful and downbeat, just want a decision to avoid unnecessary travel, hotels etc.  It would be great to see one of the big marathons happen before the end of the year.
    Jooligan.. one of the girls up here from the Knavesmire Harriers club did the Bob Graham round in 21 hrs 30 last weekend - very impressive! 
    CD.. that's a long steamy ride, not surprised you struggled a bit with the Sunday long run.

11m yesterday & 6.5m today.  Hopefully I can press on a bit now. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed for all countries getting over the virus.

OO - defo the lack of recovery and taper, even with reduced miles for a while im on good totals.

Wardi - nice, hopefully you do get to press on a bit now.

12m here.
  • CD - I've always found cycling to be a good pursuit in the heat as long as you can keep moving. Not that I haven't had days slumped in the shade somewhere. A 40 degree day cycling to Seville comes to mind where I punctured, thankfully close to supermarket where we bought a big bag of ice.

OO - I first read that as stay alert and I had flashbacks of March's daily briefings. Perhaps you could be a mainland spain only marathoner? Certainly sounds appealing.

Wardi & TR - Nice consistency. Good to see the motivation is staying strong.

An enforced couple of days off with life getting in the way but back to it yesterday with 2x8x200m. Felt great on fresh legs. Confidence back up a little.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Joe.. that session should've woken up your fast twitch fibres!  BTW I'm not in envy of your heavy building work.  We are planning a new hall floor plus extensive decorating but none of the tradesmen can start until around November! 
    TR.. good midweek miles again.
    Feeling fairly chuffed with my first proper double since March - 7.2m + 4.1m today and no discomfort.  Glad I got the 7m in this morning as it was a mere 20 degrees.  24 at 5pm!

London news is what I was expecting really, though next year's date of October 3rd was a surprise.  More time for Covid to (hopefully) disperse by then so makes sense.  If they are taking GFA entries for next year I do have one so will chuck my name in the hat. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sensible keeping it as Oct.

Good news Wardi.

10m here, last double digit until next weekend.

Ive put a Goodwood entry in, or I'll slack off too much.
  • Agreed re London on both counts. Officially nothing to train for now. XC has been curtailed to 3 fixtures starting in January. 

16km this end in very muggy conditions. Got going towards the end but could easily just go through the motions a little bit.

TR - is Godwood likely to happen? 

Wardi - good news you seem to have shrugged off that niggle. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ -  i contacted them and they said they are planning for it at the mo, but its uncertain and changing times. If it gets cancelled i can defer it to December or 2021........closed cct, no spectators, plenty of room to spread out, different diatances start at different pojnts round the cct, wave starts........if they cant put a race on then im not sure who can.
  • Well what a surprise, London off. I do hope behind the scenes that there was a genuine chance it could have gone ahead and it wasn't delaying the inevitable. Looks now like I might not be able to run London until October 2022?

Wardi - We were really lucky to get a good builder start within around 3 months. Other builders were talking about 6 months plus which could have turned into much longer with Corona. November sounds quite good tbh! 

Well done on the double. Long time since I've run twice in a day.

After talk of triathlons I'm very tempted to book a duathlon next weekend in the peak district. a colleague from work is doing it and it sounds like a bit of fun tbh.

6k today with 18 mins of Kenyan hills. First time I've ever done those and I won't be rushing back to them but I can only assume it's done me some good!
  • Oh what a royal pain in the you know what! I mean the cancellation is one thing but the change of date of the 2021 race has buggered up my plans. I already deferred 2020 Berlin to 2021. So I now have two Autumn marathons next year!

I hope everyone's healthy and enjoying running.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    ES - But what an Autumn. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    ES.. bad luck that, just about any date in Sept/Oct will have clashed with some other marathon I guess.  Just spotted that Berlin and London are a mere one week apart!  There is sure to be a 'training program' for 1 week between marathons somewhere. :)
    Just realised that the London date of Oct 3rd is the day after my birthday ... by which time I will be 64!  Talk about wishing your life away.  :o

Hot humid day here so just over 37m done on the bike, nice breeze at times.  
  • MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭
    Howdi All,

Going to be an interesting autumn next year then - 

Wrexham mara is open for registration -  Not sure im going to bother.
    Ive took a week off just to settle all the niggles which had started to burn to many mental matches
  • I've entered Mennania though I'm not sure I'll make the start line.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    ES - ive got an Abo number for next Oct already, and 2 maras for Spring, i can sell the abo place though.

Menn - id do it if you can get in good enough shape, there wont be much else of any quality to pick from........ive been to Welsh Wayles today, eagles nest to chepstow and back on wye way.

LMH - nice, good race for you to do too.

8m this morning.
  • Not at all sure I'll make the start line at the minute TR. If I can't get back running soon there won't be any point. I'd be back of the pack at my best. Are you on holiday?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    LMH - oh, i assumed you were in training, if youd entered. Im by the river severn (wales side) trying to avoid the crowds of devon and cornwall.
  • Have a nice break TR. I was getting back into normal training when I had an incident with a loose dog two weeks ago - sprained ankle ligaments and damaged both knees and my right hip. Optimistically thought I could get back to it but an eight mile run on Friday has resulted in the ankle swelling again and the left knee playing up.
  • LMH - ouch! That's a lot of damage for a single encounter. Hope you get back to pain-free running soon!

On the plus side for next year if there's a lot of big marathons tight together there might be a better chance of running one. Unless people do try to run 2 back-to-back.

So this morning was 5k race day. Couldn't have asked for better conditions: cool with a few drops of rain in the air and little breeze. Had picked out a ~700m loop with only a few feet of climbing per lap. It's lumpy around here so I had to go boring to keep it flat. Warm up and strides felt good so I was confident I could hit my 17:40 target. Cruised through the first km in 3:18 which was a warning sign I needed to slow down. But the next two came in in 3:23 and 3:24 and so I now believed my A goal of sub 17:20 was well and truly on even if I crashed and burned a little in the last. The crash and burn didn't come...the last two kms were a 3:21 and a 3:15. Scores on the doors 16:42.

Now, on the face of it that's amazing. A big PB and a lifelong goal of going sub 17. The problem is I just can't believe it's true. As good as I felt this morning I shouldn't have been capable of that. Training has been hit and miss and I haven't hit the pace in some of the key sessions. The GPS doesn't look awful and an independent GPS route planner has it about right but I suspect it might have been 100-200m short. Will get down to the track in a couple of weeks and get a reality check. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    LMH - thats a shame as you had got going again. Hopefully you can get the swelling down with loads of ice and get some miles in. Is it the same day as vlm was? 8 weeks ?

Joe - wow, top bombing then, yoy manage to push yourself hard solo. Loads more to come.

10m

• Joe - if it had told you that you were slower you'd have believed it so enjoy the feeling and replicate it on the track now that you know you can hit the time.

TR - CRAB would look at you aghast for suggesting such a thing. Since he posted all the links to the evidence debunking the use of ice I haven't. Yes, 4th October.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    LMH..  that is terribly bad luck to get multiple injuries in one fall.  Best of luck in recovering soonest.  Pleased to hear you got another dog, has it settled in yet.

Joe.. that's a stunning run and well ahead of expectations.  I can't see the Garmin being far out over 5k.  Have you got a reasonably flat Park run course nearby where you could have another go at some point.  My local has the start and finish lines painted on the tarmac so handy for a solo TT.

Menn..  sensible if you had a few niggles that wouldn't shift.

5m yesterday and 11.3m this morning.  Glad I got it done earlier as a fresh breeze was very welcome, hot and stuffy this afternoon.  After 3 months of being limited to single digit runs my legs are still adjusting to runs over 10m.  It'll come back with a bit of patience, main thing is I'm pain free now.
  • I wasn't too sure quite how I managed to bash so many bits to be honest Wardi - twisted the left ankle going down, bashed and grazed both knees, right hip, right shoulder, right elbow and forearm and my coccyx. Lola seems to be doing well so far thanks.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    LMH - crab debunked ice baths (im happy with that) but ice applied to swelling still works for me. Hope you can make that race. Mr Brasher has just given him 9 months off anyway, as i cant convince him to come to Goodwood.

Wardi - hopefully you can ease it back up too.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Joe - You certainly smashed that 17.20 good and proper!.  A super speedy solo run, well done.  Faster again in company. 
    LMH - Nice to see you on this forum again.  Unlucky, hope you recover quickly and are able to make Wrexham in reasonable shape.
    Menn - Sounds the right decision to take a week off - hope it sorts out the niggles. 
    TR - So your holidaying on the right side of the FOD then.  
    Wardi - Good miles.  Pain free is magic.
    Bit of a triathlon training day for me.  Ran for 90 minutes, MTB for 90 minutes and  later had a sea swim for 30.  51 run miles for the week. Will have an easier week running as knee continues to ache, hoping the Flexiseq gel gets too work.
  • Thanks all.

Wardi - I've done the local parkrun once. Don't believe there's any lines there but the course route online is pretty clear. It's 4 pounds for a session at one of the local tracks so I think i'll hold out for that. As you say probably not too far out but when you're doing laps if it is overdoing the distance then that issue gets magnified. It would be accepted for the national relays though I presume?! Good running anyway, racking those miles up I see.

OO - that's a good day, hopefully the cardio fitness outweighs any knee pain over the long term.

Thoughts now to the longer term. Need to prove this 5k time was genuine, do something similar for 10k and then think about marathons again. No excuses for not building up the mileage super slow at the moment. The prospect of any racing is still slim. Seems that virtual qualification for big races might turn into a thing. Soloing up to a half marathon is one thing but a marathon is something else completely!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    OO - good training mix, hope the niggles ease. Im still getting issues (think i have osteitis pubis after all), but im working on it and a change of routine and low mileage week will hopefully settle it before a 3 or 4 week push for goodwood. Yes quiet this side of FoD, busy the wye valley side, but plenty of wslking routes for us to explore.

Joe - you are youngish? So have plenty of time for maras.

8m early doors.