The Middle Ground

Comments

• Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    No km splits (forgot to set my watch up for that by changing from mile to km splits) but the 1.84 miles was split 7:17 for the mile and 6:04 for the 0.84m which I make to be 7:13 pace. Was so hot though, and that was at 9.30pm!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Andrew, yesterday was the third hottest day ever recorded in the uk. I wouldnt have event run outside last night let alone time trial.

Personally i dont thinking it's the best way of progressing. Im not interested in testing My fitness until ive built up the faster side of My training. Im currently up to 5 x4 mine at tempos effort off 1 min jog.

Alehouse, well done on the recent mileage. I did 24m last week. Been on holiday in weymouth this week, background last night. Managed 3 runs pending at 47 mins yesterday.

No mri results annyingly but had a chat with Lewis about My frustrations feeling fine and sitting at 5-6m. Asked i would have a crack at 8m today so about 65 mins. That could well be the gateway to a faster progression as if you can run an hour without problem you can take the brakes off a bit and instead of in reading runners time by about 10 min a week over 4 runs you can start adding miles onto each run.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    That's annoying about the MRI results, DT

Thinking about it I probably wouldn't have done the time trial yesterday, AD: too hot! Obviously would have an impact. Normally AD would have probably tested himself at a parkrun by now so a time trial over a shorter distance was a useful marker in establishing pace ranges for the faster side of training. Having said that I have yet to test myself and won't do until I have a few weeks of quicker stuff in the bank: a lot comes down to experience I think. 

Anyway, today I did my stretches then an hour which included 5k easy on the grassy river banks and then some fartlek style quicker sections, mainly on shale:  I had said that I would start speed work in August, so that was an introduction to it. Wonder how the legs will be tomorrow!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Fair comments each regarding the sense, or otherwise, in doing the TT! <div>
    </div><div>My new running watch arrived this afternoon, so I’ll be testing that out in a little while. Still warm here today, but not as bad as Friday!</div>
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    What watch did you get in the end, AD?

Legs were a little tired today, unsurprisingly. Easy run took me over 56k/35 miles for the week, highest for about 5 years I think.
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Went for a Forerunner 35 in the end. It’s quite user friendly and now pairs with my iPhone so I can get a bit more geeky about the stats if I want! <div>
    </div><div>Good work increasing the weekly mileage Alehouse, especially in the warmer weather lately. Next Fri, Sat and Sun look very hot here again too!</div>
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Don't mention the weather, AD! Presumably you saw some of the cricket from Old Trafford. Apart from Friday when we had 33 it has rarely been above 20 degrees; it has rained on all but three days of the last 6 weeks. Got soaked this morning!
    Hope you got your 48 short sprints in yesterday with no extra deliveries. 
    Enjoy the new watch. After 6 months or so I am just getting used to my 45!
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all - wow, when will this disgusting heatwave go away?!

Despite the heat, still managed to work my week to cover 20 miles, including the first two short sessions of this training block, and a game of cricket (4/41, since you (didn't) ask).
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Five for something is of course much more expensive, AD, if the bar is open, that is! Well done anyway! And well done on keeping the consistent miles up. What were the two sessions? I did 4x 1 minute with 1 min recovery as a venture into something quicker. 

58k here last week, highest since 2014 or 15, again. Doubt it will be as high this week. Another week where it just happened! And it may well be the last week that I exceed DT as he goes up a notch and I probably go down!
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Tuesday was 2x200m with 200m jogged recoveries; 600m jog; 2x200m with 200m jogged recoveries. Effort 200ms were at 6:40 pace.

Thursday was 1m at tempo, followed by 2x200m with 200m jogged recovery. Tempo was 7:45 pace.

Very light sessions to start with, following week 1 of Phase 2 in Daniels 5/10k plans, scaled down to reflect my lower levels of mileage.

Long run has been consistent at 6m for a few weeks now, and for the last 5 weeks on tired legs after cricket on Saturday. Might look to stretch to 7m soon.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the wickets and a few consistent weeks, Andrew. I hate this weather on every level.it needs to do one. 

Alehouse, you’ve a few more weeks yet I think.

32m last week inc a tempo, progressive and a 10m long run. The tempo was was 3x 1m off 1m easy. The paces were encouraging coming in mid 6.30s for the right effort level. Sunday’s 10 was first double digit since I got injured (I was on a 10m run when it happened). Surprised how comfortable it was at 8mm pace. 

This week will be 34m following same pattern as last week. Progressive of 7m tomorrow first thing before it gets hot. I’m on holiday next week so will be back down to 20-25.

ive registered interest for the Manchester Mara in view of London’s announcement last week. Not sure how many spaces they’ll have though. I’m hoping they might want to attract gfa level runners and circle off spaces for those with a time. 
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're finding your way back into it nicely DT. Hope the 7 progressive went ok in the heat.

I just did a short easy run last night at about 9pm. Still very hot at that time. Roll on the thunderstorms from tonight onwards!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, picking things up nicely. I went out at 8am yesterday and did the 7, on my favourite hilly route.  Started out with an 8.48 and every mile came in about 20s quicker so ended with a 6.35. It was pretty tough going by the end.

We had some amazing lightening last night. It was bizarre, no thunder or rain just continuous for about 90 mins in that there was an almost permanent strike going on. Did nothing to clear the air mind.

Im shattered from poor sleep due to it. Just doing a turbo session today over lunch. At least my garage will be reasonably cool.

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Warm out there this morning! 68 minutes d&d but it was a bit of a slog. Not as hot as yesterday though when I cut my run down to 25 minutes as it was 29 degrees. Not used to it in the north-west! Given the heat today's MLR may well end up as this week's LSR. The overnight heavy rain did little to clear the air. 

When do you get to hear about Manchester, DT?
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Yep, sleep isn't great here - especially as our baby really doesn't cope well with the heat so is waking up a lot more and struggling to get to sleep in the first place. We're looking at getting some air-con in the bedrooms before next summer. It's on days like this that I miss being in the office air-con!

I had an email yesterday from Active Training World about some races which they are now running. The first is a 10k not too far from me, in St Albans, but I think this has come around a bit soon for me to make it a worthwhile exercise. They have some marathons too though DT - Dorney Lake I think. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Today is horrific. I have looked at air con. Apparently though these Dyson units which are about £400 are a pretty decent bit of kit.

Alehouse, there was no indication on the manc mara website about when it would open up and for how many etc. I have thought for a few years i'd like to give it a go but London has always been on the cards. It'd present a pretty easy weekend for me as no expo, 80 min drive etc, plus my brother in law and family live up there so we could make a bit of a weekend of things.

You'll know the start and end areas no doubt, Alehouse? I am thinking so not to get caught short of booking a premier inn for that weekend as they are all now refundable with 28 days notice. Heres a list of Manchester ones that weekend, would you mind having a look and letting me know which is best located for race?

https://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/search.html?searchModel.searchTerm=Manchester, UK&PLACEID=ChIJ2_UmUkxNekgRqmv-BDgUvtk&ARRdd=10&ARRmm=4&ARRyyyy=2021&NIGHTS=1&ROOMS=1&ADULT1=2&CHILD1=2&COT1=0&INTTYP1=FAM&BOOKINGCHANNEL=WEB&SORT=1&VIEW=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrKzygeaV6wIVg7HtCh2k0wBSEAAYASAAEgLC-vD_BwE&cid=KNC_Brn|_G_UK_UK_Eng_Enc_Brand-Destinations_LO_Greater-Manchester_EX&mckv=sw6kRpjqF_dc|pcrid|324315823151|kword|premier inn manchester|match|e|plid||pgrid|45371038979|ptaid|aud-376544507251:kwd-302034880211|&s_kwcid=AL!9693!3!324315823151!e!!g!!premier inn manchester&ef_id=EAIaIQobChMIrKzygeaV6wIVg7HtCh2k0wBSEAAYASAAEgLC-vD_BwE:G:s

Andrew, yes I've seen a few races creeping in there. I wouldn't do a mara enough justice now this year after my downtime to justify the taper, recovery and so on. I'm in no hurry to race, though the Derby 10m mid November I have half an eye on.

Pyramin intervals lunchtime on the bike. I was sweating just from sitting down working this morning. I now cant stop despite a cold shower. My t shirt is drenched.

• Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    We had a firm round yesterday to do a quote for air conditioning- awaiting their email with the quote now. I think it’s a good investment, given the way our summers are getting so stupidly hot now.

Got out late last night for a short reps session. Very warm still, but bearable. Got an easy 4 miles planned for tonight and then another session tomorrow night. Cricket not looking likely this week judging by the forecast, so might leave me fresher than in recent weeks for my long run on Sunday.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Hope cricket is on at the weekend, AD! What sessions are you doing?

I did 6k warm up this morning before 2 x 3minutes with 2 mins recovery which is step 1 of a 16 step speed block. Ideally it will be 16 weeks but there may be cut-back weeks or even miss a step or two out if things are going particularly well. Plans are there to be changed in the light of circumstances!

DT: will message you about hotels! 
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Session last night was 2(200R, 200jog; 400R, 400jog). R again = 6.42 pace.

Think I’ll be dodging the thunderstorms tonight to fit my run in later. Better than the heat of recent nights though!

16 step progression plan sounds good - do you have any tentative goal in mind for the end of the plan? Or just seeing where it takes you?
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    I would hope to be sub 22 for 5k, AD, which I managed in July last year before I fractured my sacrum. Main thing is to stay injury free, which doesn't seem to happen too often these days!

Perfect day for cricket today at Old Trafford! Shame the test was elsewhere! 
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Yes, Sod’s law that! Forecast down south is terrible for days now - it’s one extreme or the other at the moment!

Didn’t manage to dodge the storms very well! After waiting 45 mins for one to pass, I went out into what looked like a gap on the radar. Well, it was a gap in the rain alright but there was still a lot of lightning about so I bailed out after just over a mile as it didn’t feel particularly safe to carry on!!
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Ps - sounds like a good aim, and a I’m sure very achievable 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I'll be interested to hear the costings Andrew.

Tempo at lunchtime, still building these up very slowly. Last week was 3 x 1m off 1 mile easy, today was 4 x 1m off 0.5m easy. I should have gone out earlier as by lunchtime the sun had come out. Anyway splits were 6.37, 6.28, 6.26 and 6.31.

I do need to be careful not to run the paces I want tempo pace to be mind as opposed the effort required for the session as I was working pretty hard in the last half a mile as opposed to how I tend to do these tempos where I am almost at a cruise effort. Though i'll let the warmth and humidity suck up some blame for the effort levels at the end.

• Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    First quote is £3800 (inc VAT) for two bedrooms. Think we’ll be looking for more quotes!

Did a session last night which included some tempo intervals and some short reps, then 3 miles this morning to catch up on the miles I missed in the thunderstorm the other night.

Cricket’s off - no surprise as it’s rained pretty much for 48 hours solid!
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Shame about the cricket, AD! Have to do 48 x short sprints instead!
    Not wishing to speak too soon, but perfect cricket weather here; the test wouldn't have missed a minute so far! Slightly cooler today at around 22 but was very humid when I ran. "Long" run day today: 87 minutes mainly off road. 
    No idea on air-con prices! 
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Blimey, it was humid today! 6 miles this morning in total cloud cover, but it felt like running through a steam room!

Felt quite leggy today, I’m putting it down to every run for the last week being either in the heat or humidity. Hopefully it will settle down this coming week.
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    First session of the week this morning - 2(200 rep, 200 jog), 2(400rep, 400 jog), 2(200 rep, 200 jog). All reps were either at target pace of 6.42m/m, or slightly quicker. Nice to run when it was a bit cooler and not so humid!
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Did a really good easy paced run this evening- felt strong and actually for the same effort level as usual the pace came out a good 10 seconds per mile faster and at a slightly lower HR too. Could just be a one off, but I’m hoping it might be a bit of a training leap 🤞
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff, Andrew. You can't fluke a good stats day, you have to be able to do it through fitness. 

I'm away until tomorrow. Did 11m Sunday,  4 easy Monday   5 Tuesday and 6 today. This area is horribly hilly. 6m run today just under 500 ft of elevation gain. Currently sat here in a static caravan with 50mph winds and wind lashing down. Back home tomorrow, session in the afternoon. 
  • Andrew_DAndrew_D ✭✭✭
    Thanks DT - let's see how I follow it up over the next couple of runs. It was odd, I just from the start felt like my legs were stronger and almost a bit taller - hard to explain. Anyway, let's hope it wasn't a one off.

Seeing as I am basing my current training paces from a TT done a few weeks ago in a heatwave, I suspect that they are probably a bit soft compared to my true fitness. Therefore, I think I'm going to do another time trial at the end of next week (which is scheduled in as a cutback week, so one less session and less overall miles anyway) to see where my fitness sits on a cooler, more favourable day!