Options

Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, my running/weather apps are showing 99% for my run this morning.  Crazy.  I did 10 miles this morning and also managed to keep the HR in check, but it was a slow run.  I've no problem doing a slow run, and at least it's done.  I'm going to be like a kid on his birthday, looking out the window waiting for my Nikes to turn up ;)  

I've had a full refund for Warsaw, which is really good.  I've requested the Frankfurt voucher, minus the €20 admin cost.

In shoe news my local Aldi last night had their running shoes in stock for £19.99 I think it was.  I would have picked up a pair for trail running but they didn't have any in my size.  They looked okay to me - very similar to some Asics I thought.  A bit heavy I suppose but I'd have taken a chance I think.  If they were no good they would have become gardening shoes as my current ones, which are an old pair of running shoes, have seen better days!

Shades, yes, I've entered the race.  I wouldn't normally pay that for a 10K but I am definitely in PB shape so I want an official time for my records.  Same as that 5K I've entered - I think that was £13.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - what date is the Richmond 10k?

That's good that the temperature is dropping in your flat.    I forgot I had a thermometer in my office, it's at 28 too.  

Big G - I'm not surprised it was 99% this morning, I did notice on the BBC app it was temperature 20 with a feels like of 23 when I went out, but today I just felt that I was sweating far more.

You should feel like a kid on their birthday at that price  ;)

Good news on Warsaw refund, I haven't requested voucher from Frankfurt but will do so today.

I've had a pair of running shoes from Lidl before and they were fine, I think I only got about 250-300 miles out of them.   Since then they haven't had my size.

I'm glad you've entered the 10k ready to go for a PB, will that be the shoes debut race?  I can't see you wanting to use them at Plym Trail  ;)
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, I may gave them a spin at the 5K which is 26th August.  Probably I'll do some kind of session in them first to see what they're like, but if they don't feel right walking around the house later I'll have to send them back.  I've never worn Nike running shoes before so it is a bit of a chance, but I'll probably know immediately when I've got them on.  I wouldn't wear them at Plym Trail...they'll be "racing" shoes :)  

Still no news from Weymouth or Swindon Halfs.  Both are quite large events so I guess their chances are quite slim, but at the same time both seemed hopeful.  I'll keep checking and keep my fingers crossed.

Looking at the Trotters Facebook page, people seem pleased to have been back at training last night.  There were 30 slots and 24 got booked; to be honest I was expecting it to be fully booked but that didn't happen, although this week had only 2 days notice.  Not sure how many turned up, or if anyone turned up having not booked - I'll ask Chair later.  The system is good as it allows people to cancel their own bookings, and there were a lot of changes in the last couple of hours, so it means me or Chair don't have to mess around with that side of it, which would be very time consuming.  It's a good system.  Next week's sessions automatically get made available at 7pm today; the session titles are loaded up for the next few weeks, and that's it which means I don't have to do anything manually to make them available.
  • Options
    Big G - Good news on the Nike's! I also use an old pair of Asics for the gardening!!
    Shades - That's the problem with this weather...all the washing and clothes changes!!

9 miles with 3 at MP/tempo pace today, reps were 6:39/48/38.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I hope the new shoes do fit.   Nike and adidas have a history that many of their shoes were narrow in the forefoot but I believe both brands have now improved to have more room in the forefoot, which models I don't know.   When I was spending hours last week reading various shoe reviews many of the shoes (of various brands) were emphasising the importance of having plenty room in the forefoot and toe box even in racers. 

Races are struggling to get permission from councils/police etc to go ahead, that's  probably the delay in confirming race info. 

I'm sure training would have been full at Trotters last night if it had been cooler.

Steve - well done doing tempo miles in this weather  :'(
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, you’ve hit the nail on the head about my concern about them. Some say their feet kind of overhang the sides as the shoes are too narrow. If that’s the case with me they’ll have to go back. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    It could be a very interesting Diamond League meet tonight!
    https://www.letsrun.com/news/2020/08/joshua-cheptegei-is-going-for-the-5000-wr-in-monaco-can-he-break-it/ 

It’s being streamed via BBC I believe.  
  • Options
    Shades - 13th September.
    Temp's creeping up now - my flat really holds on to heat. It usually takes a few days post-heatwave to get back to normal (and it will be 29 degrees today so hardly cool, just not quite as hot as it has been). Tomorrow looks better at 25 degrees.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I went out for a 5-mile walk and went prepared to pick some blackberries :D   It was warm out but it was a route that some shade, and I stopped for a coffee too.  Nikes due this afternoon...

Eurosport have restarted some live cycling.  There was a race last week, and this week is quite a big one - Criterium du Dauphine.  I think I'm right in saying that this was one of Bradley Wiggins' favourites, winning it a couple of times, once in his lead up to winning the TdF I think.  It's going to be a very busy few weeks for the teams as they're cramming a lot of races into a very shortened season.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Big G: that's a lot of blackberries! 

Bonn marathon has just been cancelled. Just saw it announced

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - well let's hope they fit.

I sometimes buy the wide fit if there's an option, rather than go up a half size as it's usually the extra width that I need rather than the length.

Thanks for the reminder re Diamond League, it's on BBC RB tomorrow evening so I'll record that.

I'm already recording the cycling, highlights programme on ITV 4, I think it started yesterday.

Blackberries look good, I'll get out when it's a bit cooler.

Cal - not too long to wait for your race then, lots of us racing that weekend.

My flat is the same, the heat builds up over the few days and then takes a few days to cool down again.

Before I moved here to a purpose built flat my previous flat was in a house about 100 years old.   Big thick outside walls meant that in hot weather it never got too warm for comfort and didn't affect sleeping either.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - xpost, that's another marathon gone then.  
    Have you any options left?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, I probably could easily have picked 10 times as many as that but I picked enough for 4 decent batches to freeze :)
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades; only on Flanders field at the moment? But that's Belgium so not looking likely? 

My sister lives in an old school building with similar thick bricks. Did you find in your old house that it got super cold in winter?
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - mm Belgium definitely a bit tricky.   I think all European countries showing an increase in cases and the ones that aren't won't let us in.   I've booked a hotel for Guernsey marathon but at the moment the borders are closed.

Yes, my old flat could be cold in the winter, I rented there and the heating wasn't really adequate.   I was younger too and not so bothered about the cold, now I like my comforts.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    They’ve arrived!

I know it’s just a pair of shoes, but initial impression is that they feel great!  They’re very different to any running shoes I have - there’s hardly any movement in the sole if I try and bend it, but at the same time they’re very soft and springy when just walking/jogging around in doors.

I’m going to take them for a short run at some point and just test them before deciding whether to keep them but they feel really good around the house at least. It feels like they almost force a different running style - I can’t explain it but because of the rigid sole, they almost force you up more on your toes it seems.  It’s a strange feeling compared to normal so I wonder if I’ll get used to it?

Cal/Steve, any thoughts on that aspect?  Do you run in a different way in them, or do you just run normally?
  • Options
    I remember it took a while to get used to my first pair - I had trouble running downhill in them (although I have trouble running downhill in general) but I'm fine with them now. I find they (and the Vaporflys) seem to improve the way I run, in fact.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - they sound lovely.   Lots of the newer shoes feel different from the more traditional ones that we've got used to.   You'll soon adjust to them. 

The last few pairs I've bought have been like that with that bouncy feel, mine don't have the carbon plate or the price tag though.   ;). When I got my Reeboks and tried them on I thought I'd never be able to run in them but a couple of strides into a run I loved them.
  • Options
    Shades, I also googled dorney lake for images too, as you say seems there are 2 paths and overtaking wont be too much of an issue.

Big G ATW haven't given any indication of how they are going to set runners off but they have said that they are in no rush.  Quidco/tcb will honour pretty much anything as long as you dont use a different offer code.  I didn't realise you've ordered shoes before I sent you that code. Shame about aldi shoes not being in your size, will have a look next time I'm in but imagine will be sold out too.

E mmy I don't usually come back from a run in a sweaty mess either but my step daughter asked me if it was raining when I came back today lol

Cal, well done for getting out running with lack of sleep and with the humidity.  Wouldn't worry too much about your heartrate as alot will be down to the weather and sleep.

Ian another vote for Abingdon, I had a brilliant race in 2015, my watch measured 150ft elevation for the course.  

Have heard eurosport aren't covering DL any more? Hope BBC continue to stream it.  Had a WJ friend and her 3 kids round for afternoon tea yesterday which turned into an afternoon tea with several bottles of fizz and beer polished off and a dominos pizza.

Struggled to sleep last night, spend a few hours in the garden under the gazebo before staying downstairs.  Had storms this morning which has cleared the air.  Went out for a 10 mile run but struggled towards the end.  Taking positives from it that it's the first double figure mile long run for a few months and my leg muscles in my thigh were aching by the end, usually I don't feel anything.

I have just shared a code with Big G, each month I get a 10% and free del from sportshoes from fairlands, whilst I'm second claim there I can use it, if anyone is interested just pop me a pm.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Robert - I noticed when I set up the recording of the Diamond League the BBC'S narrative said 1st of 7 meetings so I take that to mean they'll show all 7.

That's another significant step for you running 10 miles, especially in this weather.  Hope the leg is OK, is it just sore from getting used to running again?

Thanks for the offer of a code.
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Yeah, thanks Robert.  As I mentioned, I did actually find a code, but decided to go with the Quidco as it was worth a bit more.  Well done on the first double-figure run for a few months too.

Thanks Cal/Shades, probably they'll be okay when I actually run in them then.  Hoping it'll be in a day or two, although if it's wet I won't bother.

I went out and did 6-miles this afternoon.  I happened to get back just before a shower, although I would have appreciated a down pour whilst out.  Pace-wise it was a decent run out on that route though, compared with this morning's anyway.  That's 13.5 miles running for the day again, plus the 5-mile walk earlier.
  • Options
    RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Robert - Well done on the 10 miler
    Good running all. Sounds like quite a few races on the horizon. I’ve heard nothing about Battersea park on the 6th of September though I assume it should be ok since Runthrough test 10k at Tatton pk has gone well. 

7 miles on the usual route this afternoon. Was 28 degrees but with very heavy rain. Think that must have helped as was fastest MAF run at 9:36 min/mi. Only managed two runs since monday as snowed with work. Should calm down for the rest of the month for a good block of running before a week holiday and this 10k. 
  • Options
    Shades sounds promising for this years, would be great if it could come to bbc1 or bbc2 for next year anything has to be better than mrs brown boys, Peter crouch show...

Leg just sore from being used, hopefully will get stronger with time.

big g good mileage for the day, 

rcouture think you’re right assuming runthrough’s race will go ahead, especially as their trail race was a success, probably just subject to any possible local lockdowns.

considered a swim this evening, weathers not great and legs feeling trashed. considered taking my pullbouy and doing an arm work out then saw the session was full so will try tomorrow.

been told we will be going back in the office from mid September, team been split into three 2 work from home and one in the office on a weekly rotational basis.  Be nice to see a few people and restore some normality 

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I got my mileage wrong - it was 16 miles running, plus the walk :)
  • Options
    That's a good bit of mileage, Big G.
    Rob, hope that goes well and you'll be fine with the marathon distance by October. Do you have a time in mind for that?
    Rcouture, that was a real cloudburst wasn't it! Rather glad as it's cooling down now although it's still pretty hot in my flat.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Robert: I had the same yesterday with being so sweaty it was horrid! A great idea to have a gazebo in the garden. You don't have any mosquitoes? 

Big G: that's some impressive mileage! Good luck with the shoes.

We were due to have a big storm here but nothing has come over :( just a bit of rain. Let's see what tomorrow brings. 
  • Options
    Cal - aiming for sub 5 hrs. Plan is to run 10 min miles for as long as possible.  2 years and 1000 miles covered, neglected diet and any other training will go against me.  Hopefully improving gradually over the next 7 weeks will give me a base I require to complete within my target.  
  • Options
    e mmy have found citronella candles work well, we got a large candle from the range and also have a 6 tea light stand both work well 
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - I've noticed that the race organisers are generally keeping a lowish profile about forthcoming events, perhaps so we don't get too disappointed if they are called off.

You've had a big improvement in your paces in the last couple of weeks, despite the unfavourable running conditions.

Robert - I think the DL highlights might be on BBC1 on Saturday, not 100% sure.

Do you have physio rehab exercises for your leg or is it just a case of getting used to the running again?

That's good news about going back to the office on a rota system.   I don't work now but if I'd been WFH this long I think I'd really miss the social side of working.   Will you be able to drive to work or will you use public transport?

Big G - not like you to make an accounting error like that  ;)

Emmy - will the new quarantine rules affect you, had you planned a visit to the UK?

8 miles this morning.   Disappointed that no sign of rain overnight, another hot and restless night.   But as I was getting ready for my run it started to rain and by the time I went out was torrential, water pouring down the road and flooding the gutters etc.   But undeterred I set off in the rain, had to wear my reflective vest as it was so dark, and had a lovely run splashing through the puddles.   When the rain stopped it became all hot and steamy and really unpleasant to run in, made the last 3 miles very hard.   Legs much better today, just a bit of tiredness but my glutes are still sore, hurts to sit down and stand up.  🤕   Gym later, but upper body routine today.
  • Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Morning all. 

Shades: yes, unfortunately. We were planning to come over in the last week of August but that won't happen now :( it'll be difficult to now have anything until December now. I just have to hope that things improve quicker than expected. 

9k for me this morning. 95% humidity and it felt very tough!