Sunday 16 August 2020 - meet me in the crowd, people, people

emzapemzap ✭✭✭
Morning

Meet me in the crowd, people, people

What: 5 km run back and forth along oh and Lucas' walking route then blackberry picking
Why: day 2
Last hard: sleeping last night

Legs feel ok this morning. The stretching I am doing may be helping

Sounds like a nice cycle chick. Does the pressure on the pedal not aggregate your foot?

How are your knees and ankles lmh and is Lola now completely better?

Have a lovely day all

Comments

• Morning.

I was having difficulty choosing lyrics em so thanks for the thread start. Good to hear that you are feeling ready to run again this morning. Hope your weather is better than ours or blackberry picking may not be much fun. Lola is off the meds but not 100% sound, she's stiff when she first gets up (aren't we all!) and lame on rough ground but very happy in herself. Vet was supposed to be calling me back on Thursday but haven't heard - not a lot of point in taking her back as an examination isn't going to show anything different. My knees feel ok so far this morning. Ankle is a little sore. I need to decide whether to run this morning or tomorrow - so difficult to know what to do for the best.

Hope the party didn't keep you awake chicksta. Cool, grey and wet here :-( I did run yesterday but only six miles.

That stone had best behave and let you make the most of your remaining days of freedom OH.

What:           something or nothing
    Why:            can't run every day at the moment
    Last hard:    not being able to run every day
    Last rest:     14/8

Lyrics - yes.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Cool and grey here too but currently dry.
    Intending getting wet shortly.
    Maybe "run" later
    Lyrics no

Miss blackberries - too short a season here.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Morning!

Lyrics: no

What: stretches plus a run

Why: currently wet so run will be later. Legs will decide what I do!

Slowly does it, Emz!
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Walking this morning convinced me that running wouldn't be a good idea - left ankle and right knee are unhappy - should have made yesterday's run count :-(
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    That's not good news,  LMH :( frustrating for you. Oh, what I'd give for wet and grey or at least some sort of respite from the heat. We're just never happy with what we got ;)

Nice to have day 2 under the belt, em. I missed the blackberries this year. The yield was rather forgettable due to the ongoing drought and what little was there was snatched by people who were quicker than me. We have some raspberry bushes in the garden but they don't carry much either and we're watering those. It's just too hot. Climate change has a lot to answer for...

My foot loves action and only gets grumpy when I'm stuck at my desk. Walking,  cycling, s&c are all fine.

Early start for me to bake a cake. They had Zwetschgen from Bosnia at Lidl yesterday. It's those oval plums used to make Slivovitz (plum brandy) but combined with a yeasty dough they make an excellent cake. Was doing s&c while I waited for the yeast to work.
  • Haven't had Slivovitz for years chicksta - brings back some memories! Your cake sounds nice. Loads of blackberries here - MiL made 17 jars of jam yesterday with the ones I picked and I have some in the fridge and freezer, lots left on the bushes but nowhere to put more. I always prefer it hot as you know.
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    17 jars, wow. This is dry summer no. 3 in a row. I think the berries have admitted defeat :)

Pic of today's cake

• chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    Forgot to say: neighbours finally retreated at 2:30 am ... but at least it was just conversation without any loud music
  • Ummm. Lunchtime :-) It looks as though it might be quite clafoutis like or is it a more bready cake?
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    It's actually a fruit pizza :) the dough is best described as pizza dough but with butter instead of olive oil and with an added pinch of brown sugar.

I know today's lyrics btw
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Zwetschgen are damsons. We also picked lots of them today and plums as well as blackberries. Could have picked kilos more if we'd had time.

5km run then 5km walk. Am starving now!
  • Damson pizza looks great!
    I like clafouti too!
    On Wideford hill today. Great view NOT!

• Lyrics - nope, so where were the nursery rhymes Emzap!? Good start to your challenge though!
    That plum cake/pizza looks yummy chick. One of the best cakes ever is a "drunken plum cake" made by my Polish friend. It has chocolate cake, dried plums soaked in rum, cream and other secret ingredients!
    Getting blackberry envy, they won't ripen here, occasionally get some if we are south early Sept but not going to happen this year! Just when I'd learnt to make decent jam too!
    LMH still you should get another good run tomorrow.
    Who is that red faced person above anyhow? In a hideous vest!
    Lower level 10m for me today although there is a stinker of a hill in the middle, longest continuous run for me for many months (apart from climbing stiles). Feels hard still!
    In food talk soudough pancakes with caramelised apples for lunch and brownies made for tomorrow (going to friend's for run and lunch).
    Lazy afternoon ahead I think though may have to mow the grass!
  • "Who is that red faced person above anyhow? In a hideous vest! ..."
    The person you chose to marry!
  • chickstachicksta ✭✭✭
    :D OH and Els - you guys crack me up
    Lovin it :) 

That Polish cake sounds dangerous,  Els. Well done on the 10 miler. Yum, brownies 😍  Can I be your friend please ;) 

Thanks for the translation, em. I always assumed there was no English equivalent. Nice to learn a new word. Damsons. Somehow this sounds like posh girls from a Swiss boarding school ;)

Do you pick wild berries or are they growing in your garden? Just curious as my spots for blackberries seem to be well known and they're raided before you know it.

The German name of this cake is Zwetschgendatschi - a full-on tongue twister.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    I am a willing Dolmetscher chick :)

All fruit forraged from hedgerows along the canals and country lanes.

Oh and els that made me laugh!

Legs are aching now...
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭
    Love the chatter/ vests ect OH and Elspeth :-)

the fruit looks lovely Chicksta

Sorry to hear that the ankle and knees are playing up LMH

I cleared 800 miles on my run today for the year, no where near where I would have been normally without MS, but feel so privileged that that I can still run (long run for me today was 5.75m...)

Take care
  • That Polish plum cake sounds amazing Els. Well done on the longest run of your come back. I hope that everything will be ok for me to run tomorrow.

You pick some tough routes OH.

That sounds like a good haul emzap. No wild plums to be foraged here unfortunately. A few damsons ripening but I don't really use those.

Lots of blackberries in the rec five minutes walk from my house still chicksta - and lots more to come yet despite some quite regular pickers.

800 miles is good going RFJ.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    Afternoon!

OH: how dare anyone criticise the Avoid Everyone vest?

That is a decent amount of running, RFJ. Slightly ahead of me: I'm on 1267.24km= 787mi 750.5yds. Well done! 

What: stretches plus short run which included 4 times a short sharp hill run at pace (I wish!). 

Why: injury prevention, gradually introducing speed. Hope you are all stretching and working on balances!

I remember my mother shouting out in the night "damsons"! Not sure it was anything to do with fruit though. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • It is an amazing cake, one piece at a time might be wise though, but then my alcohol tolerance doesn't get tested much!
    Ale - sorry but it is a hideous vest, sentiments may suit the times though! Your mum must obviously been having jam making dreams!
    Dread to think how little I've run this year, fortunately I don't keep a tally!
    I love yoga balance postures but been neglecting it this week Ale, will have to remedy that.
    Like damsons but rarely see them these days however a supply of blackberries would be great!
    Chick, can definitely be my friend but a long way to come for a run and a brownie!
    OH has been inspired to make a clafoutis so all is good!
  • It's well worth the journey though Els - lovely running country and wonderful baking! Which yoga balance poses would you recommend?
  • LMH I'm no expert but I quite like all the one leg balances...can't do arm balance though.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭
    I must have heard you all talking about cake....
    What - 1h55 hilly trails (13.2mi)
    why - LSR
    last rest - 20/06
    last hard - yesterday/today, legs heavy
    Fizzio appointment for Thursday, I can already feel those elbows....

• chamolkchamolk ✭✭✭
    Just a quick check in before bed. Pictures/talk of food are making me hungry. Your pic OH is making me feel lazy. 

No running over the weekend, but I'd done 4 5ks mon to Fri so didn't want to push it

Hope everyone had a good weekend