Just Saying Hello to you all.

Just joined, I'm 55, very new to this started out just walking , then fast walking so I thought the natural next step would be to start jogging - so I have started doing alternate days jogging /walking got up to 6 1/2 mile with my walks (about 90 mins) and around 5 mile for my joggs( around an hour) nearly the same times!!
Ive already lost 3 1/2 stone so would like to keep at it, my pace has gradually come down when jogging from around 14 Min/Mile to just over 12 Min/Mile, I use a Polar M430 for tracking my progress and I know that Wrist based HR is not really that accurate but I'm taking it slow and the HR tracker seems to correspond with effort uphills especially, but I find myself in HR zone 5 ( around 90% ish of my Max) for alot of my Jogg.
Not wanting to spend more money on a chest strap would it be ok to carry on what Im doing and just try to slow a little
( but this seems so unnatural) during anaerobic pace not wanting to keel over with an attack !!!
Many Thanks.
Paul.

Comments

• Hi @northernsoul_man and firstly a huge congrats on dropping 3.5 stone, it's no small feat and you're now running with such a massive weight reduction. Anyone who uses free weights may know the feeling of holding a 25kg plate, they're HEAVY! So hauling one less on a run is certainly going to help.

What I would recommend at this point for you, is simply avoid injury at all cost, truly do not worry about pace at this point. Heart rate wise, you could benefit mostly at this early stage from low hr training. Run by feel, and make the majority or your running in the easy zone (can hold a conversation, walk if necessary and slowly increase pace as you rest). That way you can go longer, and you'll be building an excellent aerobic base, getting your body used to being on its feet and utilising energy stores that are good.

Going hard works only while you stay uninjured and not burned out, which occurs pretty quickly. Have a watch of this video, it's very true what it says.

https://youtu.be/MALsI0mJ09I
  • <div>Hi Leon,</div><div>Thanks very much for the kind words I'm not going to say its been easy but the majority of my weight loss has been whilst walking, I got to the stage where I could manage 90 mins of fast walking so the natural progression was to start jogging - WHAT A DIFFERENCE !!!</div><div>I'm still on a walk/jog alternate days and one day its aerobic and the next day is anaerobic so a complete workout for me.</div><div>As it is with these watches you tend to keep looking at them during exercise, but my jogging is gradual covering about 5 or so mile in an hour and have around 6 different routes I take to break the monotony up, but gently does it for me as I'm very new to this exercise but I think the walking has conditioned me well to progress to jogging.</div><div>Weight has now stabilized but just around 13 1/2 stone now so happy with that, I will stick with the same routes and times for now, just try to get out every day weather permitting and just see how far I can go with this but as you say ' Steady as she goes' !!</div><div>Thanks again Leon, kind regards.</div><div>Paul.
    </div>
  • <blockquote class="Quote">
    <div class="QuoteAuthor"><a href="/profile/northernsoul_man" class="js-userCard" data-userid="7539114">northernsoul_man</a> said:</div>
    <div class="QuoteText">Just joined, I'm 55, very new to this started out just walking , then fast walking so I thought the natural next step would be to start jogging - so I have started doing alternate days jogging /walking got up to 6 1/2 mile with my walks (about 90 mins) and around 5 mile for my joggs( around an hour) nearly the same times!!

Ive already lost 3 1/2 stone so would like to keep at it, my pace has gradually come down when jogging from around 14 Min/Mile to just over 12 Min/Mile, I use a Polar M430 for tracking my progress and I know that Wrist based HR is not really that accurate but I'm taking it slow and the HR tracker seems to correspond with effort uphills especially, but I find myself in HR zone 5 ( around 90% ish of my Max) for alot of my Jogg.

Not wanting to spend more money on a chest strap would it be ok to carry on what Im doing and just try to slow a little

( but this seems so unnatural) during anaerobic pace not wanting to keel over with an attack !!!

Many Thanks.

Paul.</div>
    </blockquote>
    Just a simple message to say very well done! Three and a half stone is some going and it takes perseverance. The body rewards when we steer it in the right direction. You already deserve a lot of credit. Keep going!
    48 year old beginner running since April 2020
  • Hi AKM,
    Many thanks, still going at it, just made 4 Stone weight loss now but its now stabilizing, keeping up my 80/20, just gonna start moving into zone 2 on my easy days to help things along.
    Doing 3 easy 1 hard, just done my hard day today, just over 6 mile with 11:47 Min/Mile pace so going OK main thing is I'm enjoying it now, at the start it was a little intense but settled into 80/20 now so taking things slowly but pleased with my pace at the moment, so will just continue,
    Thanks again AKM regards Paul.
  • well done!.
    my highest I was ~100kg, about 5 years ago, with up and downs I'm currently 83kg.
    best thing I've ever done was learning that it is ok to walk
    slow runs, recovery runs, zone 2 runs etc, is bulk of my training now.
  • Hi Keremyzc,
    Yes thank you, still at it, weight loss has stabilised  now at 4 1/2 stone but done a week and.a.half at tempo higher intensity than normal and backed off back down to 3 zone 2 jogs followed by 1 zone 3/4 jog now, still enjoying it and noticing my waist area is beginning to tone up now and my best pace to date is 10:30 min/mile over 4 or 5 miles with my zone 2 pace around 12/13 min/miles for about 6/7 miles depending on which hilly course I'm doing
    Thanks for all the nice comments.
    Paul.
  • By The way Keremyzc that's an excellent weight loss very well done, yes, I think there's a lot going for low intensity training, it also reduces the actual stress of trying to out compete yourself all the time and allows you to concentrate just on jogging/running, really has helped me over the past 6 months knowing the low intensity days are something to look forward to after a zone 3/4 day.

Really well done, a credit to you.

Paul
  • Hello man this is my first post and it is also a welcome to the forum lol
  • Hi Ignifugo,
    A very warm welcome to the forums there's a very mixed bunch on here, I'm still on the jogging stage of running so nice and steady for me, you need I think 10 posts on here before you can post on the forum so get replying to as many threads as you can.
    Regards Paul..
  • Welcome to the forum 
  • Hey! Amazing stuff, hope it goes well.
  • Just want to congratulate you on your progress, keep up the good work!
  • Hi man this is my first post and it is additionally a greeting to the discussion haha
  • Hi,
    Just joined the forum today and found out this evening I have a place for the London marathon 2023! I ran a few half’s back in 2017-2018 including one marathon but stopped running in 2019 due to some mental health struggles and just completely stopped running. Weight has piled on and I went from around 12 stone to currently 16.
    The marathon place has really inspired me to try and get back to healthy eating, healthy exercising and rediscover my love for running. I would love to hear about people’s journeys especially for building to long distance. I feel like I’m coming at this as a new person to running having not run for awhile and starting with a much higher weight than I was a few years ago.
    Currently I can walk at a good pace for about an hour. I haven’t attempted any kind of jogs or runs yet but my aim is to start this week breaking walks up with short runs and jogs.
    My aim is to be able to run the whole distance I’m not really bothered about time as I am realistic that I have a long way to go with training and weight loss.
  • Hello, I’m new to the forum too but have been running about 4-5 years
  • > @MMH said:
    > Hello, I’m new to the forum too but have been running about 4-5 years

And have you managed to post a new thread yet?
  • Also new and looking forward to good advice on shoes