Sub 3

Comments

• Still young yes, although I was strategically planning to put a real marker down before kids come along. Still got a few years ahead of me for that. Noticed today that the Nottingham Christmas marathon is going ahead this year as planned. Good event for a fast time but no aid stations would be a bit of a bummer...although I was fairly self sufficient last year anyway. Something to ponder.

Bottled the run today given the 30 degree heat after work. After yesterday's run and some afternoon cycling I can certainly afford a break. Early start tomorrow the order of the day. Next week looks tough for running, more alarm discipline required.
  • Electric SheepElectric Sheep ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I've just entered Dorney Lake marathon on 4th October... Still on, as of today!

TR, not sure I could squeeze in Abo alongside Berlin and London next year! I do need to plan something for spring 21though, which marathons have you entered?
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Joe - i didnt really get back to it until my kids were older so you have plenty of time.

ES - from memory i have mara entries for Brighton (April 21), North Dorset (2 wks after Brighton), VLM and Abo. Worthing and Fleet 1/2s, Salisbury 10, New Forest 10, Bognor, Worthing, Lordshill and Brighton 10k. All rolled over to 2021 from this year. Might have missed 1 or 2, i lose track........ive also entered Goodwood (Sept 27th) in 6 weeks time.

8m early.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    That's a full diary TR!  Hopefully social distancing will be gone by next summer/autumn.

Joe.. I put your 5k into my favourite race time predictor - it reckons you have the potential to be close to these times..
    10k.. 35.05
    10m.. 59.22
    Half.. 79.30
    Marathon.. 2:51:30

Mind you there have been others on here who don't run 5k as fast as that but usually run a full marathon in the 2:30-2:45 bracket.  Their training is more marathon specific though with big mileage volume.

There's a race up here (Tholthorpe 10k) which was announced as 'on' about 3-4 weeks ago and it's just been cancelled!  The race scene is a very moving target ATM.

Hot & sultry again yesterday so 35m on the bike.  A bit of a welcome breeze here & there so it was hotter when I stopped than when I was pedalling. :o   6.5m run today, got out early to avoid the heat of the afternoon.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I honestly can't face racing until there's a lot more certainty things will happen. If I don't race until 2021 then so be it. With all the injuries I've had it's not like being unable to race is unfamiliar!

A very hot and sticky 12 this morning. A rain shower to shift the humidity would be nice...
  • That schedule is absolutely ridiculous TR. You'll be sick of racing...or basking in all your t-shirts and medals.

Wardi - bike is the way to go. Could be the only way I do any exercise for the rest of this week. I think i can top those times for marathon and half...I'm more slow twitch fibres these days.

I feel like I must have found the magic course for that 5k. Running it or walking it since it comes to 700m a lap and I did 7 laps so it really wasn't far off. But I tried to do a single km at pace yesterday and it was a 3:34. It's really bugging me to know what I should have ran.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - i think yr 5k predicts quicker than the times wardi put up, ive bettered all of those except 10k, but ive never really ran a fresh 10k (i was going to do that this summer.........loads of those races were entered due to others being cancelled, and then they got cancelled too. Some of the 2021 dates already clash.

Jools - i was only thinking the other day that i could have done with this jo race period when i was injured in 2016.

My stomach issue has responded to a bit of care, so i did 8m inc 10x3min today and it felt ok.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Joe.. you've got plenty of years so go for it then!  I've noticed some predictors that seem way too optimistic and others which are purposely cautious.  An old club mate of mine had a 75 min half to his name but 2:49 was his best for the full.  He used to put all sorts of pressure on himself for the marathon and worry and fret himself out of his potential.  Should've been sub 2:40 I reckon.

TR.. good that the stomach has improved, nice session there.  I see Frankfurt & Paris are now cancelled.  Edit.. York Marathon called off today too.

7.3m this morning, managed to find a tree lined route with a bit of shade.  23 degrees when I set off & 29 when I got back to the car!  I'm very tempted by a cold beer sitting in the fridge. :#
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Joe - I would go and run it again over the next few weeks at the same intensity.
    Wardi - Madrid also off going for Oct 2021 now and casts a black cloud over Valencia and Malaga.  
    3 days of no running for me as look to calm down niggles (knees, big toe, abductor/ tummy). Replacing with a spot of cycling instead. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I think Valence said they will decide 3 months out. But given the travel advice for Spain at the moment it's academic unless and until that changes!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Wardi - it was still 35 here at 6pm yday, my pint of cold peroni at the pub by the river was warming at a rate of knots.......damp and 18 here now.

OO - for now i think the fuure is closed cct racing. But i hope you and Jools get to run Valencia.

10m in the rain this morning. Tummy was aggravated after yday, but that was probably the quickest ive run in ages.

Had a mail sating that Brighton will be a 10k at Hove lawns (to be added to 20m I'll have done virtually). I'll defer to April.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. it's a rum do (as they say here in Yorkshire) when you have to take your own chiller bag to cool down the pub's draught lager.  :p   No rain here today but fresher at 19 degrees so a pleasant 8m done.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    TR - Would love to run Valencia again (scene of my 2017 PB) but its Malaga I am hoping for, its Wardi and Jools for Valencia  In between just entered to run the London virtual marathon, seems a good thing to do and ensure I run a marathon (of sorts) this year. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Fingers crossed then.....or you need to find a spanish motor cct based race. Closed cct is the answer for a while at least.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I'm not travelling abroad to race until the situation is much more stable.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Yes, overseas races surrounded by too much uncertainty.  Last year 14 of us went to Malaga for a family run /get together, this year cannot see the race happening. Hence the attraction of the London virtual marathon time as a focus.  But need to get some long-runs in the legs as run 20m only twice early in 2020. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Agreed, overseas racing looks fraught with uncertainty for now.

6m super easy today. Back to it properly tomorrow. 6 wks to Goodwood, who say they are still on at the mo. So a few longer runs, a sprinkling of 3min reps and a bit of mental investment are required. Practicing running round in circles might come in handy too.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Re-scheduled Barca marathon cancelled today (Oct).  I had already rolled my place over to March next year so fingers crossed things will be better by then.  No charge for deferring which is decent of them.  
    Looks like Boston (Lincs) & Dorney Lake marathons are still on ATM.
    OO.. I didn't enter Valencia this year, would love to do it again before I'm too old though!

5+7m double today.  Quite warm here though we haven't had any of the thunderstorms & heavy rain that were forecast earlier in the week.

• OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    I do hope Goodwood is on, as my training mate is thinking of running it.  Like you TR his training has been fantastic over the past few months.  
    Wardi - Yes, would love to run Valencia again, similarly Barca but the next new one on my list is Seville maybe 2022?. 
    5+8 double for me, in the mist/ fog that's been dogging us here in Cornwall for a week or so.  
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - Boston would be a good race on s still day. Goldrush copped a gale there last yr on the same day i was at Brighton copping it.

OO - thats a long way to travel for yr mate.

No long run last weekend as i was away, the weekend before was mp run, so hadnt done a 20%/10% long run in a while. 11m av 8:06, 11m av 7:04 although i have to push on in the last 5ish to keep the average decent when it gets lumpy, which led to the last 2 miles being 6.49 and 6.48 back on the flat.

My eldests Cricket just got rained off, so a bit of an earlier start on the curry and beer with him and his gf who are staying over.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the long run TR with a decent flourish at the end.  Curry and beer well deserved!

That's a decent double OO, hope the knees are behaving.

Just over 10m this morning, quite cloudy and much cooler so nice running temps.
    Just started to chuck it down this evening, first proper rain for a few days.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    TR - Yes, relatively far I suppose (he has run Gran Canaria and Berlin with me, a lot more travelling and logistics!) but he also has the eye of the tiger at the moment and like you needs to get a good sub3 time nailed.  Another cracking long-run from you, which I can fully appreciate having run 18m in 2.25, need to get back into the habit. 
    A week of two halfs for me (0,0,0, Thursday decide to run the London virtual marathon, 10,13,13,18). 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    OO - good last 4 days then. IoW have said today that they are on, wave starts, 300 runners limit, sealed water bottles, restricted bag drop, so all sounds well covered. Bit of a ball ache as i'd either need to get a car ferry from here, or drive to Southampton and get the passenger Red Jet, as the race start is in cowes. Would be hilly and slower than Goodwood but more of a "proper" race. However if i do Goodwood i wont have to pay £60 for a car ferry and will be there in 30mins.

Wardi - curry and beers were hoovered, which led to some easy miles today.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. I reckon a long run is the ideal preparation for a curry - it's about the only time a starter & main course plus beers doesn't leave me feeling stuffed!  

OO.. It's certainly worth your mate getting a race in somewhere if he's in good nick.  It paid dividends for CD at Seville after Tokyo was called off.

10k this morning, managed to find a dry spell in between the showers.  My 'as you are' pace has started to come down recently which is encouraging. 
  • A goal in mind TR? You'd be forgiven for only giving it 90% but then you've been running a lot and running well!

Barcelona off this week. Many more to come no doubt.

A week of one day on one day off but it has been warm! Duathlon this morning and it was really nice to "race" and organisation was superb. The risk of transmission felt incredibly small but helped by the fact there were only 20 or so people in each wave and was on a wide open motor circuit. Seeding based on estimated 5k time meant I had the number 1 which was a bit of a novelty. Lived up to the billing with the quickest run times but was burned on the bike and transition. 8th overall.

Good fun and a decent workout. Hope for more races soon!

• OO - definitely get your mate to run Goodwood if he can.  One thing Iearned in Feb was all the faffing I do over pre-race prep is just rubbish - if he's in decent nick he'll have a good run even with last minute changes of plan.  Goodwood can be a quick course if it's not windy.

I saw that duathlon on Strava, RJR, nice one.  It's a pain being passed on the bike leg in those, but at least you get to pass a few back on the final run, whereas the bikers are hanging on waiting for the runners to catch them up.  I know what I'd rather be doing!

London cancellation was the final nail in my motivational coffin for a while, at least as far as training for a fast marathon goes!  I'll do the virtual run and if it's going into results I'd like it to at least be accurate, so it'll either be at a track so I know the distance or at Kenley, where the GPS is probably most accurate.  I toyed with going to a proper event like the one at Dorney, but in the end I figured I'd leave those places to those who want to properly race it - I'd like to do a steady sub-3 but that's it.  I'll do enough to give me a shout at that but training is definitely "whatever I fancy" right now.  Probably not many hard intervals! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - good improvement, yes a long run gets the hunger and thirst going.

Joe - Goodwood is the goal race now, im not doing the virtual vlm or part virtual Brighton. Duathlon sounds fun.

CD - its a gamble choosing between Goodwoid and Dorney as both can be windy.
  • OuchOuchOuchOuch ✭✭✭
    Joe - Good to see a race report again and good to race and get the competitive juices flowing, decent positioning.
    CD - It looks like he will go for Goodwood, hope its a still day for his and TR's chances. Your plan and aim for a steady sub3 is pretty sound/ good.  I will take it easier than that. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - hopefully your mate tows me along. I readca few reports that it comes up long, but looked at the certificate and measured a lap. Racing line and hugging the kerb will be important especially when the track is quiet.

7m easy today.