New Mature Runners Thread

Comments

• Good afternoon everyone,

Aquarius, I think it would be a good idea for you to purchase a new Garmin. Jane has just ordered a Forerunner 645, which has had great reviews, from Argus for £199 plus £3.95 postage. That it is a very good price, although I expect Amazon may be cheaper.

It's certainly been very hot these last few days, so I'm not surprised that you have been feeling tired after Saturdays 6 mile walk and run. That does sound a bit hard core. 

I can't believe that it's 3 years since my knee injury either, but its been worth taking things steadily, instead of trying to get up to speed too soon. 

Sarah F and I ran past the Leisure Centre on our way to the forest this morning, and there were two separate queues outside, with everyone standing 2 metres behind each other. I'm afraid that it will be a long time until I'm tempted to book a spin session again.

Dan, our organiser of the virtual 5k challenges, has now set a new challenge, which can be done whenever we want, no time limits. It is a "Hardley-a-Round" marker point challenge of approx 13-14 miles. There are eight markers to navigate. We can start at whichever point we want, but must then complete them in order. I've been studying my O@S maps, and Sarah and I did a recce of a couple of points during this mornings run.

It's good that your Zoom pilates is proving beneficial, but sorry to hear that you had to cut short your afternoon run. I hope that you are feeling better today.

jb, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your evening at the local athletics track. It's good that there were so many PB's; it proves that the pandemic hasn't prevented the athletes from training hard. I hope that the 12 year old girl doesn't "burn out" by running so competitively and such an early age. There have been so many very talented youngsters over the years that haven't made it in the seniors.

I've marshalled at parkruns on a number of occasions, but that doesn't take a lot of effort. I believe that there is activity behind the scenes looking into possible ways of bringing the parkruns back.

This morning was the hottest yet, and Sarah and I found it heavy going. We ran 11k, which was far enough in the conditions.
  • Aquarius:  I'm just back from the Dales so only just read your wonderful story.  Quite an epic!  Sorry, I haven't anything to match it!  My partner had a memorable rowing experience when teams from pubs, clubs (including the local rugby club) and shops were invited to build their own rafts and hold a regatta on the River Wharfe.  Rafts were like yours, built of planks and empty oil drums.  My partner was a member of four from the local W.I. who decorated their craft with balloons, wore funny hats and ribbons with a shark being towed behind.  It was hilarious to watch, most of the rafts capsizing at various stages with teams desperately trying to get them back to shore.  By some miracle the W.I. raft stayed afloat and they easily won the 'Final'.  There are photographs in my blog:  Google oldrunningfox and go to June 6th, 2012.
    We've been having a walk/run up on the moor before all the shooting starts for the so-called Glorious Twelfth.  My latest blog may well upset a few friends but I don't care.  It's a subject I feel quite strongly about.   
  • Rf, read your blog with interest, and a thumbs up from me. Some good photos of rugged landscape too. And a rugged runner as well, come to that!

HS, 11k in these conditions is impressive. A bit cooler here on the Sussex coast with some precious overnight rain, with more to come. I hope it doesn’t interfere with the cricket in Southampton.

Manage to shave a few seconds of my 7k recent times with a 33.44. This was achieved with a final km of 4.40 chasing another runner. 

On the prom a lady very deliberately stepped aside as I passed by. I raised my hand , nodded and mumbled an inaudible thanks, whereupon she called out that I should have said thank you. She now probably thinks that runners are ill mannered, but perhaps didn’t appreciate that runners get out of breath at times!

I’ve e never looked forward so much to cooler weather, although perhaps I did in 1976. But I wasn’t a runner then!
  • Good evening all,

jb, well done with your 7k, a 4.40k is very good, and a bit out of my compass at present.

Luckily, most pedestrians my way, especially those with dogs, do appreciate it when I move onto the road to give them a wide birth. I always acknowledge pedestrians when they move out of the way for me. A smile and a hello seem to work wonders.

Todays run was 13k in the forest, which included a structured hill rep session. We did 4 sets of 4 reps recovering on the downhills, with 2 minutes recovery between each set. No pain no gain does seem appropriate.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Evening everyone,

RF: Thanks for your comments on my raft building experience. When I was still working a colleague greeted my return to work following a holiday with the words “Well, what disaster did you have this time?” I was a bit taken aback at the time, but later on reflection I had to admit to myself that she was right, I did seem to have more than my fair share of “problems” when going on holidays.  (One day when we’ve run out of running things to talk about I might bore you all with some of my stories. :p)  I’ve just been reading your blog, and I agree with your sentiments regarding the “glorious twelfth” I’ve never understood how people can feel good about shooting live creatures, clay pigeons yes, but not real birds. Although having lived on the coast for most of my life I might make an exception for seagulls. They are just vicious rats with wings that attack the young and old folk alike, pull rubbish from bins and scatter it everywhere and make an unholy noise squawking away in the early hours. Heaven help you if they decide to nest on your roof, you venture out of doors at your peril. Well, I’m glad I got that off my chest!  :)
    I also had a quick look at your blog about the Diamond Jubilee weekend. The Great Grassington Raft Race looked great fun (but probably a bit cold for those competitions who ended up in the water). I enjoyed your report of the Ilkely Trail race, and was very impressed with your performance and amazing time of 67.24, and how nice that your partner won the LV60 category too. What a lovely couple of days you had.
    JB: Glad you enjoyed your evening of athletics. It is inspiring watching youngsters racing their hearts out, we are lucky to have a number of really good juniors at our club. I’ve heard coaches say that usually the juniors are keen during their school years, but once they get to their later teens and are going off to uni they tend to drop out of athletics. I suppose this is bound to happen with some of them, but hopefully they’ll return to running in later life. Well done for improving on your 7k time, it always helps when you have another runner in your sights. I tend to mumble a thanks, good morning or just hi when a passing a pedestrian, and for good measure I lift a hand in acknowledgment as I’m usually so out of breath I doubt many hear my mumbles. During lockdown when many more people were going out for their once-a-day walk runners, like cyclists, were often criticised on social media for their perceived bad manners in running too close when passing or overtaking, and rarely thanking those who stepped to one side, so I always try to redress the balance when I come across walkers on my runs.
    HS: thanks for the advice regarding the Garmin 645. That does seem like a good price, I’ll check Amazon too to see what their price is, but first of all I think I should try contacting Garmin to see if they can throw any light on why I’m having these problems with satellite location. On this morning’s run I didn’t get the satellites until I’d run a mile. Very frustrating. I see that the hot weather hasn’t prevented you from your usual good mileage (or should I say kilometreage if there is such a word?)  

This morning I did my usual hill repeats session, although not as structured as HS’s. My version is basically run up the hill at on side of the park then run back down on a parallel path, then repeat 5 more times, detouring where necessary to avoid loose dogs. As previously mentioned Garmin played up as usual, but at least once found it stuck to the satellites like glue. 

• Aquarius, many thanks. Agree that runners get a bad press. I think we just seem to annoy some people, possibly simply because they are a bit envious?
    Hill repeats can be brutal. Funnily enough I’ve always preferred running up a hill than down it. My technique is terrible, like driving with your brakes on!

• Good afternoon all,

Aquarius, I hope that you are able to sort out the Garmin problems, and then decide to purchase a later model. It must be so frustrating, with the connection to the satellites being so hit and miss. Well done for your hill session.

jb, I also prefer uphill to down, hence my user name! Yesterdays was tough because it was a very uneven and tree rooty grass hill. It was difficult to maintain an even pace, with all "the obstacles making us break our strides.

A rest day today but quite eventful. This morning was the annual gas boiler service, which was ok. This afternoon, the fridge decided to give up the ghost. The constant heat had worn it out, as it couldn't cope. Luckily a local domestic appliance shop had fridges in stock, and will deliver later this afternoon. The contents should be ok as today is cooler, and it will only have been out of action for a few hours.
  • Good evening all,

My new fridge was delivered and installed around 6.30pm yesterday, and thankfully the contents of the old fridge hadn't defrosted. I will be requesting the Council to collect the old fridge, which hopefully will be on Wednesday, which is the usual day for my area.

Ran a different 5k route this morning with Mike, to try to find a "quicker route." We weren't bothered about the pace, and took the first 3k steady and increased the pace for the last 2k. Next week we will put it to the test. Sarah F didn't run with us, as she was racing "The Maverick," an off road 10 miler.
  • HS, we’ve got our gas service this week. Our system is ancient and every year we fear it will be condemned but it gets a stay of execution somehow. Fingers crossed.......Other domestic news is that we have a mouse.

Rest for me today following a 22:50 5k yesterday. Only 10 minutes plus outside the new world record which in old money was 3.1 miles at 4.01 pace. Astonishing!
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Good morning 

JB: When you say “we have a mouse” is this in the nature of being an unusual pet, or an unwelcome guest? Well done on your speedy 5k yesterday, I watched the athletics on Friday evening from Monaco and saw Cheptegei break the world record by 2 seconds, quite astonishing as you say. It was great to see some live athletics at last, even though a lot of top names were missing. This talk of boiler servicing has reminded me I need to check when our service is due, I suspect it’s any time now.

HS: I still haven’t got around to contacting Garmin yet about the problems I’m having, but I did have a quick look on Amazon at the models they sell. It’s amazing to see the range of different watches that Garmin now produce. I’m going to have to take some time to research them all and see what would be appropriate for me if I decide to go for a new one. Do you think that new 5k route you've found will be an improvement? Bad luck having your fridge break down like that, but glad to hear you've managed to got a new one delivered so quickly. Hope Sarah F had a good run at her off road 10 miler.

I’ve been a bit busy the last couple of days, on Friday I saw a chiropractor about a long standing problem with my hip. Long story, but basically my sacroiliac joint was damaged during labour and since then has given me problems from time to time. Lately it’s been getting worse, with pins and needles and numbness in my right leg if I sit for too long, so I thought a trip to the chiropractor was due (I’d been referred to a chiropractor when this first happened, nearly 40 years ago, so I knew they would be able to help). As I’ve had the problem for so long I wasn’t expecting him to be able to sort it out permanently however he thinks that will be possible, although it will take a number of weeks. Interestingly though, he also identified a problem with one of my vertebra which carries the main nerve to the hamstrings, so hopefully my perennially tight hamstring problems may also get sorted out. All in all it was a very interesting hour as I’m fascinated with how the body works and the relationship between the various systems, so I really enjoyed chatting to him about all this. Then yesterday I spent ages on the phone to BT trying to sort out the poor wifi signal we have upstairs. We have a super-duper package with (supposedly) super fast fibre with a guaranteed speed and a guarantee that all rooms in the house get a good wifi reception. Since my son moved in recently he’s been complaining that the wifi in his bedroom is rubbish, so when I eventually got through to BT they rebooted the system (which has helped a bit as regards the speed) and also promised to send out a disc that will boost the wifi signal. It’s all greek to me, but fortunately my son understands it so I’ll leave it to him to sort out. 

After the BT call I went out for a run. I planned to do about 6 miles, but after I got started I decided to split it into two separate runs, a 5k on the out route for a time to submit to not-a-parkrun (this is becoming something of an obsession for me) then use the return leg as a recovery jog/walk. Knowing I had 3 miles on a slightly uphill gradient to cover to get home I didn’t push on the outward leg, and clocked up 32.32. A far cry from the times some of you do, but I was happy enough with it. I was surprised at how tired I was on the recovery run home but as I’d done both yoga and Pilates the previous day, plus my back was a bit sore from the chiropractor’s ministrations, that probably accounted for it. Anyway I’ve promised myself a rest day today, and hopefully an interval session if I wake up early enough tomorrow. Yesterday’s 6 miler was done close to midday, and I was disappointed to find so many other people on the same route as me, so unless I get out early intervals will be difficult if I have to dodge dog walkers, cyclists etc.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone - apologies for my absence but I did say I'd be a bit busy.

A general well done for all the training that has been going on while I've been absent.

HS - I'll find out tomorrow where I am in the handicap race results after week 2. As you say, the 235 doesn't have the virtual partner feature so I'm glad I kept my old 305 handy so I could use it for the race .. will do the same this coming week. Reading about your "Hardley-a-Round" challenge I tried to think of a version my club could do .. "Almost-at-the-limit" was the best I could come up with. Sorry to hear your fridge gave up the ghost but glad to hear you've got a replacement quickly.

Aquarius - no doubt the models Garmin sell have changed over the last few years. I seem to recall eventually picking the 235 as it gave the most features for the price (and I didn't want to pay what they were asking for more expensive models!). I prefer the 'real' handicap race where the slower people set off first and are chased down by the faster ones but this virtual version is the best that can be done in the circumstances. I'm still pondering whether to get a motorized golf trolley - after Fri's game (see below) I think I need to improve drastically to warrant spending so much. Sorry to read you had to cut your run short due to the heat. When you mentioned your pins and needles in your leg I was going to suggest a trapped nerve but see the chiropractor has suggested the same (I had pins and needles in my arm from a trapped nerve in my neck). Wi-fi can be a pain when the signal is weak in certain rooms - look up powerline adapters for the rooms in question as that may be a solution (may have mentioned them before?).

JB - glad you enjoyed your athletics meet and am impressed by that 12yr old beating older athletes. I obviously don't run fast enough as I usually have enough breath to shout out a thank you for anyone I pass who makes an effort to move out of each other's way (I may mumble rude words under my breath at them when they don't). Sorry to hear you have a mouse - guess you need a friend with a cat now?

RF - I had a look at that blog entry for Jun 2012 .. as you say, looked great fun.

The new boiler is in. The two guys from the local company were very efficient and they installed the boiler and replaced the pump and a leaky radiator valve and were all done shortly before 2pm. My son reports the new boiler is much quieter. He also got a surprise as without adjusting any of the temperature controls or thermostats, he found the water is hotter. The new one is obviously far more efficient than the old.

The less said about Fri's golf the better. I gave up in disgust after 13 holes as despite starting well, my game degenerated drastically and after an 11 and a 12 on two holes I decided I was wasting my time. I apologised to Alan and when I checked later he'd put down some scores for me. Turns out he played with a yellow ball as well as his own white one and posted my scores as the 'other' ball. I went to the driving range yesterday to recover my sanity and prove Fri was just a 'bad day at the office' where the golf was concerned. We're playing again on Wed.

After Tue's 5k run (Handicap Race #2) it took until this morning before I had a chance to run again. Just 4mls this morning and briefly enlivened by my passing my friend Iris and her husband on the bypass with a perfectly executed, SD'd swoosh past each other.

Re the handicap race, I did notice one lady who originally estimated 39mins for the 5K and logged 35:52 has subsequently managed 32:35 in week 2! I think she's definitely playing the system!!

• Good evening all,

jb, When I first read your post I thought that you had run 22.5k's and then realised that was your time for 5k. An excellent time indeed! I watched the Wold Record being set, and was amazed by the time, superhuman in my opinion. I remember many years ago Dave Moorcroft running sub 13 minutes, which I believe was a WR at the time. 

How is the mouse getting on, or has it departed?

Aquarius, there are certainly many different Garmin's available these days. Many have functions that most of us would never use. The 645 music which I mentioned before requires "special earphones" which cost nearly as much as the Garmin to listen to music. There is also a 645 without music which should be cheaper. Jane is pleased with hers and I will be running with her tomorrow, so will find out more about it.

We think the new route for the 5k will be quicker and give it another try on Saturday. Sarah F did very well in her 10 mile off road yesterday, and ran the Lepe Loop, an 8.33 mile multi terrain run with me and Sara H and the "Saga Boys," and "Half Arsed Ladies!" this morning. A very challenging run, but we resisted the temptation to paddle in the Southampton Water as we ran along the shore on the pebbles.

Good news that your chiropractor may be able to sort out your long standing problems with your hip and tight hamstrings.

I've seen the BT adverts advising that they are the only provider guaranteed to provide a signal to every room in the house. I live in a bungalow, so don't have any such problems with BT. 

That was a good idea using the first 5 k of your run for the not a parkrun. Sarah F is using the first 5k of this morning run for the same purpose. That was a very respectable time, especially considering that the previous day  you had treatment by the chiropractor, yoga and pilates.

Hope you enjoy your rest day today and have a good interval session tomorrow.

It will probably be just Jane and I running tomorrow, so it will be a hard run, especially as she will be showing off her new Garmin. I've probably said before that her 5k WAVA is in the 80's percents, which is International level.
  • Mel, great stuff. On the handicap it sounds like someone has been gaming the system. An appeal system is advised! As for golf, I’ve only played a few times and I was hopeless at the longer shots ie massively underpowered. They do say that you can play 90 strokes of which 60 can be awful but it’s the one good one that gets you back for another round.

HS, my advice to anyone on the best way to improve their 5k time is to find a quicker course. My home course is very quick......unless the wind is blowing.

Aquarius, great training routine. As for our mouse he or she is very sweet but has not been formally invited.

2 rest days for me, but grandkids today means it’s a funny sort of rest!
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - I tried installing the Windows 10 Feature update 2004 yesterday - big mistake! After 5-6hrs mine failed to install properly and took several more hours to recover back to where it had been before the update started. A quick search online shows the 2004 feature update is full of bugs at present so steer clear of it for as long as possible. It's a feature update rather than bug fixes so can be safely ignored for now.

JB - I've been down the driving range again this morning and done some more practise. Having identified what I think was my problem (not keeping my arms straight), my shot accuracy improved this morning so I'm hoping I'll play better on Wed (assuming, having seen the forecast this morning, we don't get rained off!). My scores would drop dramatically if I could only putt better. Thank goodness for Stableford scoring - it means your round doesn't get ruined by one bad hole (didn't stop me walking off the course on Fri though!)

Still waiting for the current standings for the handicap race (apparently someone had some bad gps info). But for week 2 itself, I was in 25th place with a score of -44 (44 secs better than estimate). Yet again, I think there's some 'gaming' of the system going on. The lady in 1st place for instance estimated 38:03 and managed 33:46 (-257 secs). And the first 10 places are all people whose performance were over 110 secs better than their handicap time.
  • Good afternoon all,

WtnMel, your yesterday post crossed with mine. I was very lucky to get a replacement fridge the same day that the old one gave up the ghost. They came on their way home, and removed the old one and installed the new. I rang the council this morning and they will collect the old fridge on Wednesday. The £30 charge is well worth it, as it is a right pain trying to take stuff to the landfill site. You have to book in advance and register the car for identification. Also the hassle of getting someone to help you as I couldn't lift the fridge into the car and take it out at the tip by myself. Goodness knows why people dump stuff, risking a £1,000 fine!

Glad to hear that you are happy with your new boiler. The service of mine was uneventful, and passed all the checks. I've noticed that the water seems to be hotter too. I suppose that could also be because the water is warmer at the outset, because of the much higher temperatures.

Sorry to hear that Friday's golf was a bit of a write off. Never mind, we all have days like that when nothing seems to go right. Better luck on Wednesday🤞

There are always "dodgy runners" in Handicap Races😒

I installed the Windows 10 features update 2004 successfully, several weeks ago. 

I think that there will be some cheats in our "Hardley-a-Round" Challenge. One couple who are new to the area were the first to "complete it", but it is rather suspicious as their mileage was sub 13, and Dan who has organised it, said that it would be between 13 and more likely 14 plus. We think they may have missed out one or more of the check points. Our Monday runners are working hard with maps and doing recce's of various segments. Jane, with her shiny new Garmin 645 has plotted a route, which she will transfer to her phone, which should be a big help in navigating. We are planning to do the challenge on the Monday in the middle of September.

jb, yes I certainly agree with you about finding the quickest course. We did the first few on different road routes, but got bored with that, and the last few weeks have all been in the forest on different routes. I don't know whether you saw my post a couple of weeks or so ago, where I tried running continuous laps round a field, but it wasn't a success. I set off as if I was running 100 metres, and of course, "blew up." We will try last Saturdays again, as we didn't push the pace, being that it was a recce.

Enjoy your rest days, albeit with the Grandchildren today, which will be very tiring. Where do they get their energy from!

It rained very heavily during the night, and I woke about 4.20 to the sound of thunder. 

I ran 9 miles in the forest with Jane this morning, and the forest was really wet and muddy. We had to turn round near the end of the run, as the ground ahead was waterlogged, and there was no way that we would have attempted to wade through it. The bonus was that it added a little bit more distance to our run.
  • AquariusAquarius ✭✭✭
    Afternoon all,

WtnMel: It certainly sounds like there’s some dodgy things going on with your handicap race, I can imagine one or maybe two runners having a better run than they expected, but not that many. I don’t really see the point of gaming the system like that. For a start it’s pretty obvious that you must have submitted an unlikely estimate at the outset, and that’s not going to endear you to your fellow competitors. Also what is the benefit? Surely these people aren’t kidding themselves they have made massive improvements? I just don’t get it.  Sorry that you had a disappointing golf game on Friday, better luck on Wednesday.

JB: Hope you managed a rest day of sorts, I know how tiring grandchildren can be. Did they get an introduction to your mouseguest?

HS: We had heavy rain last night too, and this morning. I waited until the afternoon before venturing out for my run (but I think everyone else had the same idea) That sub 13 result for the Hardley-a-Round challenge does sound a bit suspicious. Are the results accepted without question or do the competitors have to upload some sort of proof? Perhaps it’s a genuine mistake though. That muddy run today sounds like it was hard work, I don't blame you both for turning around when it got too waterlogged.

I’ve had a rather frustrating run this afternoon. I warmed up for about a mile or so while waiting for Garmin to locate the satellites, then once found I started my interval session, but after the first interval Garmin lost satellite reception again and never regained it. In addition I must have picked a bad time to go out because the route was very busy - dog walkers, cyclists, pedestrians and family groups, some with dogs some with small children veering from side to side as they tried to master riding a bike. As a result I was slowing down, speeding up, dodging from side to side and at times just walking. I tried to find a section a bit further on that was not as busy but no luck. So all in all I was not a happy bunny when I got home. I’ve been looking at reviews for various Garmin models and I’m leaning towards the Forerunner 45, it’s got most of the features I have now, and a few I haven’t. I don’t want a particularly fancy running watch with a lot of features I’ll never use, so at the moment the 45 is looking my best bet. 
    Zoom Pilates tomorrow, then another trip to the Chiropractor.
  • Aquarius, that sounds very frustrating. Good luck with your new purchase and with the chiropractor. I consulted one many year ago as I had back and jaw problems. The treatment was quite intrusive and helped sort the problems, but I subsequently shopped around various other therapies until I was fit to resume running.
    Our grandkids would scare a rhino away so no chance of an encounter with the mouse! 

I beat my 5k PB yesterday by 10 seconds! OK it was my rowing PB not my running one. But when you get to 65 a new PB in anything is not to be sneezed at! I’m now down to 22.28 on the rower and right now I’d happily settle for that for a run.

Aquarius, regarding our Hardley-a-Round challenge, we haven't been advised that we will need to  provide proof of our achievements, but I imagine most of the contributions will be captured on strava, so will be fairly straightforward to check.

You do seem to be having an unreasonable amount of bad luck with your Garmin connections to the satellites, and the amount of people walking, dog walking,cycling  etc. hindering your interval sessions.

The forerunner 45 is probably a good choice as it is reasonably priced, and why pay for "all the bells and whistles" that you are unlikely to use.

I hope todays Zoom pilates went well and also your session with the chiropractor .

jb, well done for your rowing PB. A pb is a pb, no matter what its for. When I was 65, I managed a 22.08 parkrun at the Brockenhurst parkrun. I'm now nearly 75 and trying to go sub 26 minutes. Perhaps this Saturday in our forest 5k on last weeks new route.🤞

Today was a rest day, except for the usual walk back from the supermarket with 4 heavy shopping bags, and then the front plank and press ups.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Afternoon everyone,

HS - I agree about it being worth spending the money to have large items collected rather than struggle yourself in the car. Glad to hear you were able to install that Windows feature update without problems - I did wonder afterwards whether leaving my external disk drive plugged in might have slowed things down (possibly grasping at straws but wouldn't put anything past stupid computers being dim-witted). Sounds from your "Hardley-A-Round" comment you have people 'gaming' the system too - I'd have suggested proof (like Strava) would be needed to show the route followed so glad to see that will be the case. Well done re your 9ml (muddy) forest run.

Aquarius - I've given some examples below of some (cough) 'outstanding' running in these handicap races. Sorry to hear about your continuing problems with satellite reception on your Garmin - and that it was busy again on your route. The Forerunner 45 looks good - though as I don't carry a phone with me those particular features would be lost on me! Hope you enjoyed your zoom pilates session today and the chiropractor session was worthwhile.

JB - well done for beating your 5K PB by 10 seconds (your rowing one anyway! :) )

Re the handicap race series, sorry to keep wittering on about it. I'm 12th in the overall standings but I don't think I'll bother with any more races. Some people have wildly over-estimated how 'bad' they would be and with some, they are using a runner's 'bad' time as a new handicap time. In cases where someone doesn't meet their estimate, I'd have expected them to keep the handicap time the same and say "Better luck next time".

For instance .. the overall leader estimated 39:17 and has posted 35:52 & 32:27 (approx. 21% improvement). The 2nd place lady estimated 40:26 and has posted 36:03 & 33.52 (19% improvement). The lady who 'won' the week 2 race estimated 34 min but posted 38:03 for week 1 - her handicap was adjusted to 38:03 for week 2 and she posted 33:46! They seem to be rewarding mediocre performances so I'm seriously hacked off. I'm tempted to jog round this week and have a 'bad' run about 5 mins slower than last time - then I'll be nailed on to win the last week's race.
  • I was hoping the Fleetwood 10k would be able to take place this Sunday after Blackpool were able to allow the run the lights last Saturday.
    Our local council refused the race permision.
    Bloody corona ruins fun......
  • HS I just checked and my own PB at 65 is 22.13, so I’m chasing yours! I did manage a 21.24 too, but it wasn’t an official event and more to the point it was hugely down wind, so I’m not claiming that. But as I’m stuck around 22.50ish now, I’ll have to go some to reach your time. I’ll use it as a motivational tool.

Mel, I can see why you’d be fed up. I would be too! People doing that make the whole exercise pointless. I’d be tempted but I hope wouldn’t stoop to it.

Damien, it’s very frustrating isn’t it? I had great hopes of this season as a freshly minted 65 year old. Hopes dashed by Virus, but of course it could be far worse.....

To try and breakthrough my current plateau in performance I mixed up my training yesterday and threw in some little hills and then finished my 7k with 8 150 metre sprints with 15 seconds rest between each one. 

Another good night of athletics at my local track. A national record was broken: 300 metres for a 48 year old Male. I spoke to a family who driven down from Wales and were returning late that evening. They were with their son who rewarded them with a time that gave him number 1 ranking for a 15 year old in the100 metres. This served to remind me of the dedication required to get anywhere near the top. Hard yards indeed!

Rest day for today. No bad thing as the heavens have opened even on the sunny south coast. Good for the allotment anyway.
  • RunningfoxRunningfox ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    JB6: It must be quite frustrating for you not being able to race as a 'freshly minted 65 year old'.  From my experience one has an excellent opportunity of registering a few wins in the move up to a new category. If you'll excuse me reminiscing,  I'd memorable wins in the London marathon and 'Three Peaks' (only a week apart) when I turned 60.  Turning 65 I'd great success at various distances on the Track (including a Long Jump win!) and a N.M.A.C 10,000m record which, I think, still stands.  Another good start to the year.
    As an O/70 I was lucky to win the F.R.A. English Fell Running Championship.  I hadn't raced on the fells for seven years and there was some formidable and experienced opposition.  After winning the first two races I tore a calf muscle badly two miles from the finish of the Kentmere Horseshoe race.   I finished 2nd but luckily had amassed enough points to win the series without having to compete in the fourth race.  It's a medal I treasure most of all.
    Reaching 75 I found a race on my actual birthday for another good start to a new category.  It was a 10K road race round the streets of Kings Lynn where I'd to run extra fast to beat all the O/70's.  There was no O/75 category!   Shortly after, I went on to take the B.M.A.F 5K champiuonship at Chorley, the only 5K race I've ever run.   I never considered it my distance, a thought perhaps endorsed when the O/80 winner finished just a few seconds behind me!
    Needless to say, I'd the O/80 category almost to myself and was never beaten, often being the oldest person to compete in various races on road, Track or fells.  The secret is to out-live all the opposition!
    At 85 I'd become embarrassingly slow so called it a day as far as racing was concerned, but still get out into the hills for fun and fitness.  You can't beat the great outdoors with all the sights, sounds and smells of flora and fauna, sunrise and sunsets, sea and mountains. 
    I'll count myself exceedingly lucky to see a Mens O/90 category.  But watch this space... 

WtnMel, yes, I think that we will all be submitting our Strava results as evidence for the Hardley-a-Round Challenge. We intend to recce the first few "check points" on Monday.

Sounds like you are fighting a losing battle with your handicap races, so probably a good idea to "drop out"

Damien, its been a right pain this year with all the races being cancelled or postponed. The New Forest Marathon organisers are still trying to find an alternative venue where the public won't be allowed.

jb, I'm sure that you will be able to beat my 22.08; it's always good to have a target to aim for and then better. I'm 75 in December and will then be aiming for 1st in the new age categories, if and when there are races again. Good to see that you are doing some structured training, it is the quickest way to improve race pace. This year is the first that I've done any speed work since June 2017, and it's paying dividends. Last year I concentrated on building up my mileage and completed just under 1,900 miles.

It's good that track athletics is taking place and local to you. It's true that dedication and hard work are necessary to get to the top. The achievements of our elite athletes back in the seventies and eighties are even more remarkable when you think that most of them had full time jobs and had to train before and after work. 

Probably a wise choice to have a rest day today, because as you say, the heavens opened down here in the South.

Runningfox, you have achieved some amazing results during your racing years, and I believe, If I remember rightly, that you didn't take up running until you were in your fifties? I hope that I can keep running and remain competitive as long as you have.

This morning was a pyramid session comprising two sets of 5,3,1,3,5 minutes. We ran 5.6 miles altogether, which included the run out and run back. The weather was dreadful, heavy rain, strong winds and a waterlogged forest. Great for training though, making us work even harder. I was really pleased to see that my pace for the second 1 minute effort was 5.13 minute miling. If only I could keep that up for longer.
  • WtnMelWtnMel ✭✭✭
    Morning everyone,

Damien - I'm not surprised they wouldn't let the Fleetwood 10k take place but I presume they allowed the lights to be put on as most people were in cars to see them?

JB - I 'should' be mixing up my training a bit more like you with hills & sprints. The only good thing to come out of the handicap races was to find out I am capable of sub-10m pace over a few miles. Glad to hear you enjoyed another athletics meet and more good times were posted.

RF - never having capabilities that match yours, my move to the MV65 category didn't make any difference to my results at all! :)

HS - I can't remember if I mentioned it, but the one race I do most years and hoped to run in October, the 10ml Tring Ridgeway Run, also had to be cancelled. Well done re that pyramid session, especially considering the conditions. And 5:13mm pace, even for a minute - just wow!

Managed to crawl out of bed at 5:45am this morning to run. Resisted the temptation to run my handicap race route and post a (cough) 'bad' time. I've decided to give up on the handicap races - I did send a message on FB to the organiser pointing out what I thought was wrong with the way things were working - I could see he had been online but he's chosen to ignore me so to be honest, f**k him. So instead, I ran 4mls around town and was pleased to see miles 2,3 & 4 were all around 10:30mm pace. I felt comfortable and wasn't having to put in much effort at all (what my friend 'Girlie' who used to post on RW would call #buggeralleffort) - time was when I needed to be running at 11:00mm pace or slower to feel like that.

• Mel, wow that’s an early start. Sounds like your run was fuelled by a bit of anger. 7.30 is about as early as I can manage.

HS, well done. I couldn’t face running in that weather. I hopped on the rower and beasted myself.
    Hope to get out later today. 

Rf, that is some running CV you’ve got there. Inspirational.

No vacation for us this year so we are visiting various local villages, none more than 20 miles away. I continue to be amazed at how lovely my county is and ashamed that I don’t know it better.

WtnMel, you seem to be consistently improving your running pace this year, and becoming more competitive. This is very impressive as you expend quite a bit of energy with your golf practice, golf matches against Alan and not forgetting bowls!

I do remember you mentioning the Tring Ridgeway 10 mile race.

My legs certainly felt the effects of yesterdays pyramids during this mornings 10k.

That certainly was a very early start to your run this morning. I get up at 6am every morning, but the earliest I run is 8am, mostly 8.30am. This is because I never run without breakfast, and like to give it time to digest. One of the club's previous Coaches used to make similar comments to "Girlies!"

jb, thanks, it was a tough session, but as I often say "no pain, no gain!" I used to occasionally have a go on the rowing machines after spin sessions, but gave that up as I put all my efforts into the spin.

That sounds a good idea, visiting local villages, there is so much history in our County. I only discovered recently that there were ancient burial mounds in the New Forest. We have a lovely old church in Dibden, where my eldest Niece was married, and my parents are buried. It was bombed in the Second world War, but has been restored. 

My 10k this morning was a recovery run, as my legs were as heavy as lead after yesterdays pyramids.  It was a mixture of roads and grass. This included a few leisurely laps round the park, which is also Hythe and Dibdens Cricket ground.  I've never got round to watching a match, but must sometime. The troops played cricket there before setting off to fight in the Second World War.
  • HS, well your New Forest is simply wonderful. I guess the downside could be the sheer volume of traffic. We had a holiday near Fordingbridge a few years back and loved the surrounding countryside. Certainly Sussex, West and East, is lovely especially when you get off the coastal strip where we live.
    However we do have a lovely flat, wide prom to run along and that’s where I was this afternoon in lovely windless conditions. I set out to run 10k in less than 49 minutes and managed 48.57. I was pleased with the pacing. I’m even more pleased with doing it today and not in the gales tomorrow!
  • Wtnmel
    The run the lights is a run not a drive through lol

jb, that's a good 10k time, I'll be trying for a sub 50 minutes, next time we include one in a training session, but afraid that would be beyond me nowadays. It would be a 77% WAVA, and I'm only just managing 70% for a 5k. Its been blowing a gale all day today, so with a headwind may just have been possible. We will be doing another 5k in the forest tomorrow, with the target of sub 26 minutes. This would be a WAVA for me of 71.67% which I would be happy with. 

Today is a rest day, so all systems go tomorrow.
  • John the 10k time is good.
    Do you run alone or in a group?
    I have been doing loads of 10ks since lockdown and my best is just under 52mins but I run alone with nothing to chase once the races start that time will come down.
    If I have someone to chase I can keep going at them.