Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Rob-Good to hear about the mileage,everything is relative so your highest in 2 years is good news.
    Cal-Hope you get rid of the niggle before it becomes more.
    Got a niggle here myself,my left calf was really sore running,could feel it quite early so stopped after 4.5 miles,didn't see the point in making it worse,now I'm home the bottom of my left leg isn't feeling great,hoping it settles down over the next day or so,hoping it is just an effect of running long runs so soon after my race at the weekend.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - you haven't been wasting petrol either  ;).  I am going to get petrol this week just in case the petrol gauge isn't working properly.   It would be highly embarrassing to run out of fuel and the AA man ask me when did I last fill up.

Speedy MP miles.

Ian - good news on the entry to Elvington, should be plenty of space to run as airfields are usually wide with long straight sections.

Cal - hope the metatarsalgia clears quickly.  I have had that and still get twinges now and then, I also have a longer 2nd toe only on that foot.  The hill sprints which would have needed you to flex your foot might have aggravated it.  I didn't rest up much but ran in shoes with a rocker style as found that didn't bother it and I could continue to train.  That's when I started wearing my Hokas.

Good you've got a prompt physio appointment.

Emmy - hope you're enjoying your hols. 

Yes, storm expected tonight, we have scaffolding up on our flats, luckily not near mine, but still might be some damage, I've already moved my car at the painters request and will omit to move it back as it would be near the scaffolding.

Robert - someone I know commented on the Podium 5k races being considered 'dangerous' but no details so I don't know any more than that.   I've never run a 5km😯

Good for you getting out there today even though you didn't feel like it.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - not you as well.   Bottom of your leg is a bit of a vague description, do you mean your heel or lower part of the calf?
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-When I was running it was the inside of the left calf,now I've stopped it seems to be coming from there to the ankle.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - maybe you just tweaked it.  If it's warm or sore to touch icing for a few minutes might help.   Then tape it up for a bit of support.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, hopefully that niggle will come to nothing!

Robert, well done on the run over the month.  It sounds like it's coming together for you.

I did 7.5-miles early evening to stretch the legs on the same route as this morning, and it was a nice run out today.  I may do a run tomorrow but it's weather dependent.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nice surprise,I won my age group in the 10k,there were a few chip problems so took them a bit to work them out,some vouchers on the way to me :-)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - must be your favourite route twice in one day.  ;)

Ian - and a very well deserved prize, congratulations.  :)

How's the niggle today?

Cal - how's the foot this morning?

8 very tough miles for me this morning.   My hamstrings didn't feel too bad yesterday later in the day but this morning they were tight, now DOMS I think.  First half mile was uncomfortable, but after that it eased a bit.   Weather was dry, with the odd sprinkle of rain but the wind was something else, very strong and gusts up to 50mph, really hard to run in.  My hat blew off, managed to rescue it and I had to run holding onto my hat when the gusts got really strong and at a couple of places the wind actually brought me almost to a standstill.    At 3 miles I got stopped by the police and turned back from my planned route,  road was closed and policeman told me I couldn't access the roundabout which was around the corner.   So I took a footpath that comes down onto the road I had intended to run on, being nosy I thought I'd nip up the short hill to see what was happening at the roundabout but there was a police van there stopping me so I continued on my run.   My last out and back mile was the part I was worried about most as heavily wooded, but that was the most sheltered part of my route.   I was glad to get home, it's exhausting running against the wind like that, couldn't keep my HR down, averaged at 78%.

Our scaffolding is still up.

I see from the traffic news the road was closed due to an accident, so with the police presence still there now, sadly could be serious.   
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    BigG: excuses, excuses ;-) 

Robert: good mileage! Hopefully the legs feel better this morning. 

Shades: never run a 5k? At all? Like never? Hope the storm wasn't as bad as expected. That doesn't sound good about the closed road. I hope it's nothing serious.

Ian: well done on the prize! Do you know what type of vouchers yet? Hope the niggle is better too?

Another 8k for me this morning and more exploring. I will definitely miss the hills (even though they are very hard!). Got attacked by flies this morning. I must not have put enough Avon so soft on! Here's some pictures from the route. 

And the elevation (please tell me to stop if I'm boring you!).

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - lovely photos, looks a lush part of Germany.

Nope, never, ever run a 5k, they've only become popular lately as a race distance here.   At some time I might do one, probably at Tavistock but I expect it'll be my one and only.   Of no interest to me and would never run a parkrun.

Road closure is for accident investigation, motorcyclist killed in the early hours of this morning, no other vehicle involved so it could be the windy conditions that caused the accident.   
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Emmy-No idea,probably for a sports shop or something. 
    Shades-Horrible when you know things like that happen,sad to see.
    Niggle seems ok this morning,all taped up so will see how it is later.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Well done on the prize, Ian.

Nice pics, Emmy.  Looks lovely there.

I'm getting a bit concerned about my achilles/ankles again.  I don't know if it's the prospect of races coming up (and wanting to do well) that is playing on my mind , but I'm definitely struggling on the stairs more than usual first thing in the morning.  I do go through phases of this and often after an hour or so it's fine for the rest of the day, but during the last week or so, there's been some discomfort in the night too.  Obviously having had achilles issues in the past, I'm very wary!  I do feel I could actually run today but I'm going to take a rest day, and probably tomorrow as well, and then see how I am.  These things take ages to clear up, but I do want to try and be relatively pain free for Wednesday's race if at all possible.  I do stretch them out before and after each run, and I've recently restarted the heel drops, but to be honest I'm really not sure if they do anything.!

Am I right in thinking someone bought some kind of therapy gun here?  I did have a quick look on Amazon but there are loads to choose from, and I wasn't 100% sure if they were useful or not.  Any thoughts on those?
  • Ian, sorry to hear that. I hope it eases up. Calves are tricky. But great news about the prize, well done.

Beautiful, Emmy! Which bit of Germany is this?

Shades, good hat wrangling! We're getting the strong winds later but it was still pretty breezy this morning.
    Not good about the motorcyclist. I remember several years ago coming out of my house for a run and there was a motorcyclist in the road. Ambulance in attendance but he looked dead - eyes staring straight up at nothing and a trickle of blood running from his mouth to his ear. He'd hit a bollard, evidently. Some flowers appeared not long after so I guess I was right about him being dead. Report in the paper said he'd died en route to hospital but I guess they'd tried to revive him in the ambulance and failed. It wasn't long before Christmas and I remember thinking how awful it must have been for his family. The flowers appeared every year for a few years after that.

Anyway, in cheerier news, after some icing, Theragun and digging out my Helen Hall foot exercises from last year (they were for my left foot but I thought it might help the right one too), my foot was fine this morning. I ran 10.5 miles, local routes in case I had to cut the run short...but I didn't need to. I don't normally like running in breezy conditions but I quite appreciated it today as it was pretty muggy and the breeze kept me from getting too hot.
    My physio contacted me yesterday evening to move the appointment to Tuesday so I will still go anyway, as achilles is being a little bugger and he always does a good job of loosening me up, which I need now I've got actual races on the cards. 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: sad news about the motorbike :( the terrain is absolutely lovely. It's the trail I like and I can really just enjoy and focus on the run/map reading. 

Ian: hope it continues to be ok. 

BigG: I know a friend has a gun and it's very good. Maybe try doing some intensive calf stretching to make sure that your Achilles is ok? I did heel drops with my Achilles and it really did help me. I found stretching out my hamstring/calf did more though.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ahhh, Cal, we had a cross post.  It was you who had the Theragun.  Which one do you have, and do you rate it?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    X-post with Cal: 

Cal: this is the Eifel region. Its a small town called Stadtkyll. Good news that you're feeling better and managed a good run. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Ian - that's promising re your niggle.

Cal  - wow, you get the prize for miraculous recovery, great news.   After your post yesterday it seemed like that it might be a lengthy recovery required.  You must be very relieved.

Big G - you did mention before an occasional niggle again in your achilles, so that is not good news that it's gradually becoming more of a problem.   You might need to start doing some strength work, it could be now that you've done a couple of faster sessions that any weakness in your glutes/hamstrings/calves/ankles is causing a reoccurrence of your achilles problems.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Emmy, yes, I do go to town on the calf stretches and I can really feel that area loosening up.  I will introduce more hamstring stretches.  I was looking at a slant board yesterday, but I don't think I really need one as with the calf stretches and the heel drops I've probably got it covered from that point of view.  Last time I had it badly was back in 2014 when I was out for a few weeks and I remember that suddenly one morning I realised it had gone.  It was quite odd as for a long time nothing seemed to be happening with the heel drops etc, and then it was gone.  I did get some insoles as well, but I don't really think they were any help either (I haven't worn them for years).  I still quite often get varying levels of discomfort, but it's usually manageable as in it's fine either after a short warm up or an hour or so after getting out of bed.  I had it fairly bad in the ankle/achilles/calf area at this start of this HR training and I was mainly able to run through it, but with these races coming up it's becoming a bit of a concern!
  • Was a tad windy when i went out just now too albeit less affect that expected as my route choice must have been good with the wind blocked mostly
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - weren't you injured for months the last time you had achilles problems?  

Keith - windy here but starting to ease now.

I see Mo wants to help, I suspect he's getting a fat paycheck for doing this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/athletics/53862234
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: I'm sure he's doing it for the love of the sport.... And the money. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - hope he can keep up.   I can imagine he'll be the most annoying pacemaker ever, constantly looking behind.

He'll have to remember that if any spectators are there, they're not there for him.    ;)
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    They've got a great line up in the men's and women's races.

Apparently 8 hours of TV coverage, which will be great as none of the boring bits of the London marathon to watch/ skip this year.
  • WInd starts dropping here in a hour or so albeit it remains in the 30's until darkness and i think tomorrow. Heck alleged thunderstorm early afternoon tomorrow. Less windy sunday but showery all weekend. I have plugged watch to laptop now too so it has some music on it even if i dont yet have bluetooth headphones to listen to it. I have even powered off the 235 cos why have it running when not using it ;)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, yes I was, but I try not to think about that!
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Keith - have you found a local race to do yet?
    Are you doing Windermere?

Big_G said:
    Shades, yes I was, but I try not to think about that!
    I know, so whatever you can do to avoid a repeat of that is worth doing.   
  • No not yet and undecided on Windermere. Was mildly tempted by Foxy's latest but opted not to enter.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Good you are running again,sometimes just takes a bit of rest and we are good to go again.
    Big G-Hope the Achilles doesn't turn out like last time,I am proof it doesn't need to be the end though.
    Decided not to run tonight,leg felt ok,but with the storm still here I decided it really wasn't worth the chance.
    Just seen the full results and I only won my age group by 13secs,and the runner-up was 1 of 4 I overtook in the last half mile,12th overall out of 524 and OH came top 3rd in all runners and second in AG,despite being unhappy with her run.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, great results by you and OH.  That's fantastic!

Ian/Shades, I hope I'm not going to regret saying this, but it doesn't feel like last time.  Last time it hurt just walking around during the day, and this isn't at that stage....yet.  I've been in touch with Cal offline, got myself one of those guns, splashed out on a slant board, and sorted out some simple strength exercises, so we'll see how I get on.

I see there are a lot of disgruntled runners about New Forest.  It seems they've moved the date by a week, moved the location, but according to comments on their Facebook, they're not offering refunds or deferrals.

I got my 5K race number through the post this morning, which was great as it feels a long time since I've had sight of a race number.  We're going off in pairs at this event and I had a little stalk of the guy who I'm paired with and he's significantly quicker than me, so I mustn't try and stick with him early on!  The course is better than usual I hope, as it's not two laps this time - it's an out and back.  The route does go past a popular pub with a beer garden so I'm just hoping the route is clear.  Also, I hope the weather gets better and the achilles is okay come race day, but it's nice to have a race to focus on.

Again, I'm sitting here now really thinking I could run but I'm going to resist and just see how I am tomorrow.  If I don't get to 60 miles this week, it's no issue in the big scheme of things.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Big G-When you get going next week it will soon feel like a real race again,rather than the time trial it is set up to be like.