Shades Marathon Training

Comments

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Big G - I'm not suggesting you hack your shoes to bits.    But years ago when less choice of shoes available it was commonplace to cut out the heel tab as even a slight touch of the achilles could cause problems for some runners.

You'll need to keep up with the exercises probably for ever to stop this injury reoccurring from time to time.

A physio once gave me heel lifts to ease calf problems, I couldn't get on with them.  But I remember her saying they are sometimes used to avoid the heel tab touching sensitive achilles by lifting the foot.

Maybe you'll have to buy some new shoes 😉

I only got round to cancelling Frankfurt hotel today, refund on its way.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Big G - Great stuff on the PB. Nice to see the MAF training translating on shorter distances. 
    Ian - that’s gutting re Boston 

Last night I ran my first tempo run since starting MAF training and it was interesting. Warmed up for a couple of miles then did 20 minutes at 7:23min/mi then another couple of miles cool down. It wasn’t so much as tough but just really weird and foreign moving the legs fast for an extended period for the first time in 4 months. Id like to get another similar session in before this 10k a wk on Sunday but will be on hols most of next week so unclear how much running I’ll be able to do. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Shades, that was something Alehouse mentioned but before getting the Stanley knife out, I've just taken out an insole from an old pair and cut the heel area out, and stuffed that in under my current insole.  I'll try that tomorrow and if no good then trim some off the heel tab.  If still no good I'll look for a daily trainer along the lines of the Nikes (in terms of the very thin heel tab, not the carbon plate etc), and then if still no good, I guess it'll be rest.  So a few stages to go yet, but I just need to be careful I think.

I do have this on and off a lot, but usually I run through it.  What I think it is mainly to do with is a brand new pair of shoes that I had laced too tightly (they happen to have a high heel tab too....).  I didn't stop to loosen them on a run when in hindsight I should have just stopped as I wasn't running correctly but I figured I'd sort it when I got home.  Afterwards my ankles and feet were very stiff, and then this flared up.  It could be anything though - maybe some of the off-road terrain caused it, maybe the small amount of speedwork/time trials I've done, maybe a combination of things.  
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Rcouture - that's a decent tempo pace, you're going to do a good PB.

Big G - it seems weird, but that's the weakness of the achilles that just a heel tab touching can flare up an injury.  It's maybe that just around the time that you did a bit of speedwork too.

That's a good idea what you've done with the insoles.

I would also not run in any of your shoes that are nearing the end of their use right now.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades: I have half an eye on Leiden. I contacted the organisers and they said a decision will be made mid September. Alternatively, I'm half considering doing a virtual London but I really don't know. I just wanted a distraction today. 
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    BigG: the trees were absolutely crazy. I was planning on cutting through the forest but the forestry commission was there and told me there was 40 trees down and it wasn't safe. It was definitely blowy! 

Rcouture: where are you off to on holiday? That's a good tempo session!
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sorry RCouture, X-Post there.  That's a good tempo session, so well done for that, and fingers crossed you can get some running in on your holiday.

Emmy, my Leiden medal is still amongst my favourites I think.  I'd do that race again, for sure.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    RCouture-That's a good pace,don't worry about race pace,that will come on the day.
    Big G-Thinking about last nights race,do you think you should have went faster in the first half,as it sounds like you were really comfortable at halfway then the wind hit,everything is so easy in hindsight though.
    When my Achilles first hit I cut the heel on some of my shoes as they were rubbing on them,can't remember what they were,but I then changed and I haven't had to since.
    Went out after work with the intention of blowing the cobwebs with a fast run,warm up went ok,first 2 miles averaged 6m/m then I just couldn't be bothered hurting myself,ended up with a reverse progression from 5:41 to 8:09 pace,ended up with 8 miles all in.
  • RcoutureRcouture ✭✭✭
    Emmy - Southwold which we go to every year. Weather not looking great sadly (and typically)! There’s a great running route along the beach but I strangely find less time for it on hols as am usually taking up the rare opportunity not to have to wake up at 5am and then chasing after the little ones after that. 

• Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Ian, possibly I could have gone quicker at the start, but I did feel sub-19 was a challenge before I set off. The chap I was paired with had a bad race for him I think as he was about 19:45. I was behind him for about the first 1.5K, expecting him to be quicker, but if I was in that position again I’d just go past him much earlier on. It’s not that he was holding me up as such but I just felt I could go marginally quicker than he was going more or less from the start of the race. But having said that, if the conditions had been more favourable on the return leg I think I’d have been happy with how I’d paced it at the start, presuming I could have held that pace. As it was it was only 4secs quicker than when I did a trial on my own though so I know I can go quicker on the right day. 
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭
    As Big_G mentioned me (and well done last night by the way) if anyone wants some light reading about my thoughts re Achilles injuries/prevention/rehab let me know and I will send it!

re runners from other backgrounds, boxer Amir Khan ran Wilmslow marathon in 1:26 age 19. Boxers, particularly in the lighter divisions, do a lot of running: Errol "Bomber" Graham used to do his running sessions with some quite decent runners that I knew and most of his 10 mile runs would be around the hour mark. Alan Ball, the 1966 World Cup winner was 2nd in the Lancashire Youths 800 metres to one of my clubmates, in 1:51. Clubmate won the AAA the next year whilst Ball signed as a professional footballer.

And I have Ronnie O'Sullivan's autobiography which I quite enjoyed and called "Running". 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Saw Ronnie at Night Of 10,000m a couple of years ago, he was very interested in the runners and speaking to them about their race and mentality about racing laps. Also saw him running up and down the river when he used to live nearby (weren’t running at 7 min miles so weren’t trying hard enough)

Big G glad no I’ll effects after last nights race. Shame about Windermere glad you could cancel the hotel, I’m surprised by the number of races that are offering refunds.  They still have a lot of costs and no revenue.

shades, I promise to be good/ not get caught

tr some good marathon takes their, the best I can come up with are probably finished near a man dressed as a shoe

Recouture hope you have a good holiday hope you do have the opportunity to get out for some runs, always adds to the holiday

Emmy not surprised they shut the forest! Hope the Leiden marathon gets the nod.

was pouring with rain when I went out for my run, never eased up and then a few flashes and bangs.  Very satisfying 8 miles soaked through and enjoyed running through puddles along the river (I think they were puddles and not the river itself) 

• Just entered virtual London marathon, if I wasn’t running a marathon already on that day I wouldn’t have bothered but do need a running shirt with my recent weight gain and the medal could be a nice keepsake. No consideration for the event itself as it’s not a race 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Emmy - I do hope Leiden goes ahead, are other races being run now in the NL?

Rcouture - have a lovely holiday.

alehouse - thank you for the copy of your document on achilles, superb.

Lots of athletes make a career choice between athletics and football, I think that's why when they ease up on the athletics they try and have a go at football, Bolt and I think Farah wanted to too.

Robert - that's a great photo, you genuinely look like good mates.

Smart move entering virtual London, you run one marathon but get 2 medals and don't have to run 26.2 miles on your own.

8 miles again today, cool only 12 degrees again but very humid, OK for running though.   Calves and hamstrings are fine today but legs feel a bit tired, I think it's just getting back to gym and running which is tiring me.   I don't feel at the end of the run that I could run much further.   

Gym later, legs today  :/

• Cracking photo, Rob!
    TR, I met Nell a few times when she was dressed as Lara Croft - she was super nice, really down to earth and a good laugh. The previous model was Rhona Mitra who had a few acting roles after that - she looked the part but wasn't as friendly - it was all business with her.
    Not sure if Nell was running when I met her - this was in the late 90s, but to be honest I wasn't running much then either. I was mostly interested in lifting weights and doing the odd bit of kick boxing. (The other interesting thing was I also worked with Wendy Sly at the same company. I didn't even realise it was the Wendy Sly for ages - I really wish I'd been more on the ball as I'd loved to have heard her account of the whole Decker-Bud debacle).

Big G - that's why I like Nikes - the heel tab doesn't interefere with my achilles. The original Zoom Fly did have one and it used to rub, too, so I'd always have to tape both achilles to stop it.

alehouse - I'd be interested in your achilles info, definitely.

Took a rest yesterday - didn't feel too enthused about running when I got up so I took that as a sign.
    Today was OK (if rather drizzly). I did 3.5 miles to warm-up then did a 4 mile LT pace run around my favourite road triangle, then another 1.5 miles to cool-down ( had a couple of short breathers between the WU, tempo and CD rather than do it as a continuous run.
    I was fairly happy with the LT - I usually shoot for around 8:30ish but wasn't sure what sort of shape I was in, but I managed 8:35/8:31/8:22/8:18. Felt I could have done another mile too but the balls of my feet were getting battered, which seems to happen more when I'm running faster (I guess I'm more on the balls of my feet at pace). Cadence was a solid 190.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Cal, do the other Nikes you run in for your daily runs have a thin tab?  I spent some time on the Nike website yesterday but none of them seemed to be the same as the Zoom Flys in that they appeared to be thicker, but it was hard to see on the pics.  I did notice this sentence on the Zoom Flys - I had read it at the time but it hadn't really registered, but it makes sense now; "The heel angles away from your ankle to relieve pressure on the Achilles tendon".  Do you know what the Pegasus is like in comparison?

I don't know whether to keep going on about this over the next few days/weeks as it's going to get repetitive, but no running for me today.  Achilles too sore, obviously after yesterday's short run.  I was going to try the inserts but it'll have to wait.  I fear I may have to get the bike on the rollers and get a Zoom subscription at this rate!  I'm shuddering at the thought of that but I don't want to pile the weight on and I also want to keep at least some level of fitness.  Or I do have access to the spinning machines at the gym as part of my Torbay Tri membership so I could use those.  Not ideal, but at least I've got a way forward with trying to keep some fitness up.  

I have been doing the main lower leg strengthening exercises every other day, but I'll start doing those every day now, plus I've been on the slant board a lot the last few days and doing lots of heel raises, and I've incorporated some of Alehouse's other ideas.  So I'm doing what I can I feel, but obviously it's frustrating and I know there are no quick fixes with this.  I actually don't think the 5K race caused it any additional problems, especially as it felt okay yesterday morning, so I've no regrets and it was good to get a race on the board whilst I'm running well.  But mainly I know it needs rest.  Walking is generally fine so I'll get out for some walks as well.  I know that's nowhere near the same as running but I do enjoy walking especially as it's something OH and I can do together on occasion. 
  • Shades - Usain Bolt is a Man Utd fan, however he did have a trial for an Australian team Central Coast Mariners that play in Gosport a suburb just outside Sydney (been lucky enough to visit twice).  He played a couple of friendly games and scored twice in the 2nd game.  He seemed to have rejected offers from other clubs due to wage demands, imagine his skills aren't quite upto his pace.

Cal well done for listening to yourself yesterday! Good run today.

Big G hope the niggle issue doesn't last too long, won't do any harm getting on the bikes especially if you can do a class or a virtual class.

Probably a rest day for me, although did pop to the gym.  the 50 min slot sessions give me the right time to use the machines I want plus 10 mins to either do some squats or tummy work.  Feel like I'm forever cleaning as I clean the machine before and after use.

• Big G, don't know about the standard Pegs but the Peg Turbos I have don't bother my achilles (and my right achilles is a bit of a fatty). There is a heel tab but it's angled away from the achilles so it doesn't touch.

Bolt would probably do better at Rugby or American Football where you just pick up the ball and run like hell. A few sprinters seem to have taken that option.

Rob - I've not managed to get a slot at the gym until tomorrow! I think it is the case that they only let one person in the free weights room at a time. The machines are free but I don't like using them.

In other news, my godmother passed a week ago (she was in her 90s) so I've been invited to the funeral in Cambridgeshire next week. I've not set foot on public transport since March so I'm a bit wary, as it'd mean tube plus train there and back, plus an overnight stay. Hell, I've not had any contact with anyone aside from my physio since March so I'm completely out of practise at actually talking to people.
    I feel I should go as they (her family - her daughters were good childhood friends of mine and I've kept in touch) came to my parents funerals but, health issues aside, I'm also not stoked at the idea of paying £40+ for a train ticket when I've no income for a couple of months. Tenants just moved out so it's likely to be a couple of months at least before I get any money in.
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Cal - very good splits.

How far in advance can you book the gym?  We are on 5 days at the moment.

Sorry to hear about your godmother, that's a good age.  A funeral is always a good event for a catch up.  How about bus/coach, might be cheaper?

Big G - don't worry about appearing repetitive on here, regular updates on your progress is all helpful.
    Slightly odd that no reaction the morning after the race but troublesome today, but I guess injuries are unpredictable too.

Is Plym Trail your next race?

Robert - I got the impression that Bolt thought he would be in demand as a footballer, but maybe that was the way the press reported it.  Bolt has just tested positive for Covid.

We have a full hour in our gym.   I don't bother cleaning the equipment before use, just after.  Most of the gym users are good at the cleaning after use and the staff clean the gym in between bookings too.   I've become expert in not touching my face when at the gym or out and about elsewhere.

• 1SteveMac1SteveMac ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Cal - Nice splits and progression.
    Rob - Good photo.

Nipped out at lunch for an easy 8 miles, will have a rest day on Sunday instead. I kind of feel the smaller runs 8 and 15 miles within 12-18 hours of each other must be good for fitness? Especially with no rest after the other miles I've run in the week. Should be 50 miles for the week.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Hi all, 

Robert: cracking photo of you and Ronnie 

Cal: sorry to hear about your godmother. I don't think you're alone in your worry about public transport. It's a real worry. Good LT pace too. 

Shades: I'm seeing a few trail races but nothing "major". That's very good gym etiquette! At my old gym noone would clean stuff after using it. 

Just 10k for me. It would have been longer and at recovery pace but my watch was at 25% when I started so I didn't want to risk it
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    Steve - I agree, there's surely a stronger training effect when not fully recovered from previous run.

Emmy - well that's promising with the trail races, but I expect like here local authorities and police not so keen to see road events.

Re gym cleaning, that's new Covid rulings.  If they don't clean after use they are warned that they won't be allowed to use the gym again.   We have strict rules, if you turn up late they won't let you in, everyone checked that they've booked, one way system into the building and when we leave it's by another exit.
    Even the big weights guys are all avid cleaners now.   I think we all missed the gym so much during lockdown that we don't want it to close again
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - yes, Nell was more weights and keep fit, but got the sub3 bug after a few low 3:XXs. Her 2.54 equates to 2.39 for a man so she did well, but does say she put a lot into it (inc big miles). Would have been good to pick Wendy Slys brain for sure.
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    Shades' that's one positive to come out of covid. 

I really don't know? I think it's also spectators? There's a few trail races going on but they're all low distances (up to 24km). The Dutch 100 club is very quiet at the moment
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Cal-Bad news on the loss,hope you can figure out a way of getting there.
    Closest I have been to a celebrity runner is Chris Boardman(cyclist) does our parkrun most weeks,when it is on.
    Big G-My Achilles is completely different from day to day,today I have barely noticed it from the minute I woke up,other days it is hard all day,majority of days I have a soreness in the morning then when I get to work it is fine all day,repeat the next day.
    8 miles after an eventful day in work went good and easy.Had an old guy have a heart attack in store today,I got called as he was collapsing by the till,but still conscious so I called an ambulance,got him down and tried to keep him awake as he was drifing in and out and trying to close his eyes,paramedic came,and said I'm gonna need your help if that's ok,said yeah of course,cuts his top open and I've never seen skin so yellow,it was a really weird colour,para starts to do chest compressions and asks me to do the air pump in to his mouth,after a bit we got him going again,then he monitored him and I used a little machine to get a prick of blood and measure the oxygen(I think) after a few minutes another paramedic turned up so I happily stepped back and let them work their magic.An ambulance turned up and they seemed in a decent mood telling what had happened so looks like he will be ok.The 2nd paramedic came back in and said his mate said I'd been a brilliant help while waiting for him and wanted to thank me,so that was a really nice thing to do as he didn't have to come back in,hopefully he will be fine,he is a regular so guess we will see over the next few days.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, sorry to hear about your Godmother, and bad news about the tenants.  I'm been very lucky in that regard over the Covid period.  I'll check out the Peg Turbos, so thanks for that.

Shades, yes, September's Plym Trail is supposed to be my next event, and the weekend after is that fast 10K I've entered.  I'll keep up with the strengthening and just keep my fingers crossed.  As I've said I'm really not bothered about a time at all for Plym Trail but I also don't want to hobble around it in pain.

Crikey Ian, sounds like an eventful day.  Well done for helping out as you did.

Well done Steve, another good run for you.

Robert, I may have just entered London Marathon.  OH expressed an interest actually and said she'd like to walk it, so I think we may do that.  I've got a 26.2 mile circular route from my house taking in the coast path etc so that's one option.  Whatever, we're entered, and the achilles is fine to walk on.  If it's wet, we'll just do a different route, as I don't think the achilles would appreciate walking boots at the moment.  You probably know I'm not really interested in virtual events, and I'm not that bothered about medals either, but this has been a very strange year and it'll be a reminder of that in some ways.  It doesn't count for anything but it'll be nice to do it with OH as well.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just enjoyed watching a stream of the mid-cheshire 5k,it's a very fast race.
    Winner finished in 13:52 and 32 ran sub 15,one of my club ran 15:40 and came 75th  :hushed: and he is only 14 so a very bright future ahead of him.
    Gerda Steyn won the womans race in 15:45,incredible range for someone who won Comrades and Two Oceans last year.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Cal, I’ve ordered some standard Peg 37s. I can run in them outside to test them and still send them back FOC if they’re no good. I did see a review and the tab looks good on them. Someone else has recommended me a pair of New Balance so I’ve got another option but I’ll try the Nikes first.

Incredible times at that event Ian. At the event I did they gave prizes to the two highest age graders and a MV55 got 91% and a FV60 97%, which is considered world class isn’t it?  Regardless, they’re very good percentages. I see the guy out regularly and he trains very hard and consistently. He’s got the age grade record at my parkrun. 
  • SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Ian - wow, you're amazing and that's a whole new level of customer service.    Not many folk would have the courage to help a paramedic like that.   I hope he makes a good recovery.

That is an incredible pace for an ultra runner, she must be very talented.

Emmy - yes road events attract spectators that's why the LA's and police are more favourable to events off the beaten track.

Big G - is this a possible interest in perhaps doing a marathon one day by your OH?

TdeF starts today so if you set up your turbo and cycle with them for 5 hours a day you won't lose any fitness.   ;)

Interesting you should mention NB shoes, I wore mine this morning and noticed they have a light flared heel tab and thought they'd be good as wouldn't touch the achilles.   Mine wouldn't be any good for you though as only a 4mm drop and with achilles troubles you need to be looking at a much higher drop for now.

8 miles this morning, only 9 degrees this morning, I felt sorry for the campers when I passed a campsite as it's distinctly chilly for August.   Lovely when the sun came out though but kept my gloves on for the whole run.   Legs are tired and I can feel my glutes after gym session yesterday.

Gym later, upper body today. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Shades-Unfortunately not amazing enough,1 of his family has just came in to say thank you but sadly he passed away in hospital.