Saturday 5th September 2020 - Here I am, walking down the street

Morning.

Lyrics - Here I am, walking down the street (walk walk walk walk walk walk walk)

And the terrain, everything is so sweet (woah woah woah sweet, woah woah woah sweet)

On holiday is hopefully to be sunny Hornsea (once the sun comes up).

chicksta - no, I don't think you're being too cautious, if you don't feel comfortable it won't be enjoyable anyway. I think I may go and have a look round my gym when we get back and see how I feel about things. I'm sorry the news from the doc wasn't what you wanted to hear but lots of positives there. I sounds as though if you keep your running short and say every other day that would be ok?

Hope it went well OH and you are soon safely home.

Nice of the mums to keep you company emzap. I very much have to play it by ear.

That was a long day Dustin. Hope you enjoyed the beer.

It was just another two miles for me yesterday and much as the previous run. I have a glorious pain free first half mile or so and then my right knee starts hurting but it gets to a level and evens out. When I stop running I walk much better - I can't tell if it feels so good because of the endorphins or just because it's stopped hurting! I thought that two hours or so in the car would leave me in a lot of pain from both knee and hip as they don't generally like sitting for more than about ten minutes but with a few contortions in the second half of the journey everything worked when I got out of the car which was a pleasant surprise - and just as well as our apartment is on the third floor :-) Just been sitting with a coffee looking at the sea and waiting for it to get light. Now need to decide whether to have an early morning walk or run before mark gets up.
If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.

Comments

• WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Lmh enjoy the holiday! Glad you felt better than expected after the drive! My hips are playing up which is totally new. Not sure if it's mattress at home because it's easing up now I'm at my brother's so we'll see.
    Did first Cornwall run yesterday 3 miles. 
    What try to do same if not more
    Why I have to do a big descend then big ascend as they live up high above the sea
    Last hard yesterday
    Last rest 31 dec16
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Dustin I cracked the gfa when I was 55, then they changed it that year so I didn't have it after all 😢
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Morning!

Enjoy your holidays, Wabo and LMH!

Lyrics: no

Yesterday's lyrics were : Trains and Boats and Planes, Burt Bacharach (and much covered)

Wabo, I often get sore hips from either running more quickly, or more likely, on terrain that I am not used to. Tom. (remember him) used to say the same. 

Chick: no, you are not normal. None of us on here is! If you were normal you would be fat, for one thing! Disappointing, but perhaps not surprising, re the advice you received. AS LMH says, short and easy on alternate days may well be the way to go. 

Hope you are not too sore today, OH! And that the procedure worked this time!

What: something easy

Why: yesterday was relatively hard

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Successful procedure yesterday (under spinal). Rough early part of last night but improving rapidly now.
    Still on track for 1510 flight tomorrow.
    Last hard yesterday
    Today will be fairly restful
    Lyrics don't think so
  • Haha, thanks for your confirmation about my state of normality ;)

Your apartment sounds lovely, LMH and you're up early for a holiday :)  Driving kills my hips too, especially the left one. My physio thinks it's probably pain referred from the sciatic nerve caused by my dodgy back and it usually disappears as soon as I get moving.
    Hope the sun comes out and you have a lovely walk or run, whatever the body allows.
    I will stick to my 5k walks and intersperse them with a bit of running. That should keep me sane and my doctor happy.

Grey, wet and miserable here. Looking forward to an afternoon watching the Tour.

Ale: enjoy your easy

That's so mean, wabo. I remember lots of people being really disappointed when they thought they'd cracked gfa just to find out VLM had changed the brackets.

I'm unbelievably tired at the mo. Somehow I have to survive until October when we'll go on hols. Until then there's a lot if work ahead which I'll have to muddle though 🤷
  • Morning again!

Hope you continue to improve rapidly, OH! And trust you are ok to fly tomorrow. 

The easy was just 35 minutes or so. Enough today. Cool and grey but waited until it had stopped drizzling until I went out. Managed to rip a hole in by best OMM jacket. Not sure how to repair it. Probably need a patch over it. 
    Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hiya
    OH - Glad it all went went, fingers crossed for a timely departure tomorrow
    LMH - Enjoy the break, I'm sure you need it!, You too Wabo.
    Wabo - yeah, similar here , well it was when they dropped V40. They also trimmed 5 minutes off V50 luckily the year after I got mine (phew!)
    Ale - hope you get the hole seen to.
    What - 9 miles on the trails. Had hoped for hill reps, but with hamstring still not 100% opted for undulating rough ground instead. An absolutely delightful run: no niggles, felt almost energised and was skipping along very well. I think there were a couple of sub 8s in there too. Only issue was getting stuck behind a herd of cows being moved from one field to the other. Not your everyday hazard...
    Why - getting out
    last rest - 31/08
    last hard - a while ago

• Good news OH - hope you make it home as scheduled.

chicksta - I wasn't driving and my hip and knee was (I was going to say fine but that's far from true) as good as they have been recently when we walked yesterday afternoon and evening. Unfortunately my knee was really bad this morning and there was no way I could make it run. Walking was painful almost from the off :-( I've been out walking four times today though (just back from the last one) and it seems to be getting easier - I'm wondering if I may be as well off just ignoring the pain and running anyway to get it moving (assuming I can do so without limping). How long until your holiday?

Not good about your jacket Alehouse - I wonder if it's worth emailing OMM and asking their advice? They may offer a repair service, I know that Barbour used to.

Nine miles on trails is good with a dodgy hamstring Dustin. I did feel that the break was much needed by both of us. Nice to leave responsibility for MiL with someone else (son 2) for the week if I'm honest.

So, just walking for me today but 11 miles walked according to my Garmin.
    If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Yes, I was wondering what OMM might suggest, LMH...apart from buy a new one! Hard to know what to suggest about the knee. Have you taken the bikes...and dog?!
  • Evening

Missed posting yesterday.

Very glad to read that your procedure is done OH. Hope you were able to rest today and travel well tomorrow.

Jealous of your seaside holiday LMH - enjoy as much as you can and tell that knee to cooperate for walking at least.

Ditto Wabo - are there any flat bits in Cornwall? Are you on the N coast ?

Oh no regarding the jacket Ale. I've patched Goretex before with moderate success.

Nice trail outing Dustin, great news you were niggle free. Guess the cows weren't sub 8mm running then. Sensible plan for VLM.

Hard news from the doc Chicksta. Tick the work days off, enjoy your hols, get the other foot done and see how things progress for now?

Picnic and walk with friends seems good compensation for the missed run emzap.

Thanks for the speedwork tips on Thursday Ale and Dustin.

What: 6 and a bit GA miles with 6 x strides
    Why: need to practice form at speedier paces
    Last hard: ongoing flat hunt
    Last finally done: tax returns
    Last rest: 30.03

Lyrics: hmmm.
  • emzapemzap ✭✭✭
    Evening all

OH glad your procedure was successful, hope you can make the flight tomorrow.
    LMH sorry to hear your knee is so bad again.
    Dustin very sensible
    Chick I'll join you on that tiredness.  Normally I'm ready for bed at 8,but at the mo we are not sleeping and then I'm wide awake now, despite having been awake since 2ish on and off.

What: trip to Oxford and walk there
    Why: one of my best friends is back from India due to COVID so making the most of catching up with him and getting walk done at the same time.
    Last hard: zzzzzzzzzzzzz.  Also had a baby who cried for 2 hours this afternoon, has a mild temp so I think he's a bit under the weather.  I can't believe I have a 357 day old baby :cry: (leap year!).
    Lyrics: nope

Have a lovely day all.