Sub 3

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Joe - all the quick work is paying off then.

OO - strong long run there, that's a decent clip.

Funnily enough theres a 2.51, 2.53 and 2.55 on the fridge (on the old fridge magnets in the goody bag).Im not getting too excited re Goodwood due to the variables above.
  • Jools - nice report and solid hit out. That 10k has sold out now. Shame as only an hour away. 

OO - impressive long running and I imagine great to be ticking along with the group. 

Joe - great to see progress measured in numbers you can clearly cross reference with previous workouts. Certainly recruiting the speedier fibres.

TR - another solid longvrun with the faster section. I was thinking today on my run if I could manage a continuous MP effort next weekend or if I ought to play the first one more conservative and break the effort up. Say 4 x 4km during the long run? 

Wardi - fly tipping.... arseholes. I despair at litter in my locale. Some people have so little respect for their own environment. 

Another solid run today for me. 20 in 2:30 which felt good despite a little wobble at 20k when I wondered of I had gone a little too quick too early. Legs holding up well after a second week of 127km. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SJ - good going today, im more 2.40+ without any inserted effort. I started out with 3 x 2.5m then 3x20min before i swicthed to 8m, then 10m, then 12m then 3 x 13.1, but thats spread over May to Sept. Maybe do a session long run every 3 wks ? Ive done quite a few 20%/10% too. As an experiment/change from my usual 8mm long runs.
  • The P&D schedule has one long run with MP per month, so basically 1 every 3/4 weeks as you say. I think I will break the first one up just to see how I go. I can always carry on if feeling good. Trying to lift the pace and keep the long runs honest as i am only doing one workout a week as per the schedule. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Sounds good, this is the first time i put some 20%/10% into the mlrs too. I like the 10% pace its comfy but honest.
  • OO - big run and a fair pace! Agree re aiming high (or I suppose low if it's time), you could definitely talk yourself out of a good time for a marathon. 

SJ - a big week and sounds even more impressive in kms. coming together nicely.

Run ended up as 9m today. a real slog at 8mm. definitely more comfortable with the short and sharp atm.
  • That's a fine 20M SJ & 4x4K off a K float is a cracking session. Ideally the reps should be done 10s a mile quicker than MP
    Great build up of MP stuff TR. You certainly deserve a good race to reap the rewards of that training.
    I'd initially planned to do another 20M today but after yesterday's race I decided that was probably a bit foolhardy so set out on an out & back along the Wye. Did 21.5K at 7:51 in the end. I was going along around 8mM til 11M then threw in 8x200m hard off 90s which brought the average down nicely.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Jooligan.. that's a decent MLR with a few quality intervals considering your hilly efforts yesterday.
    Joe.. a sign of good progress if you're hitting new paces.  Today's 9m slog could of course be due to your efforts yesterday. 
    SJ.. excellent long run, nice weekly mileage recently too. 
    OO.. cracking long run, they do seem to wizz by more quickly in company somehow.
    TR.. well grafted yesterday, it will surely feel more 'comfy' with a bit of taper.

10m today inc. a hastily arranged club 5m race where we were set off in groups of 4/5 every 5 mins.  First race of any description since March & injury so happy enough for now with holding a constant 7.25 pace.  A long way off where I was but it's a start and nice to be racing again.  57 miles for the week.
  • Wow, some racing going on!  Nice report Jools.

TR - ah, the fridge magnets.  The first two of those coincided with the years I ran identical times, so I've had a few double takes when seen for the first time.

It looks like a few are getting pretty close to being in shape for a good marathon, virtual or otherwise, in a few weeks.  My approach is still the 'do what I want' regime, so last week consisted of a couple of early morning 5ks, a couple of evening runs with the only quick bits being a couple of Strava segments I hadn't know about previously, and yesterday where on a largely windless morning I fancied going round Kenley in the opposite direction to normal.  16 miles at a fairly even pace, with the last 13.1 in 1:27 so sub 3 on virtual race day should be OK.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - you still have time for a couple more 20s yet anyway.

Wardi - good stuff, nice to be getting a bit racy !

CD - shame they only did the fridge magnets for 3 years.

13m tonight
  • I still have 2 of the old fridge magnets from my 2nd & 3rd LMs. I messed up the numbers on the latter cause I was so frazzled still!
    Just the one 20M next w/e TR as that's 2 weeks out & I'm racing the 10K the week before.
    Dusted the bike off for this morning's commute then ran home the long way for 12.5M. I'll reverse that tomorrow keeping the run short though.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - you have w/e 12/13th and 19/20th to run long ?
  • You're right TR. I'm tired!!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    You had me worried i had miscounted for a while as im a week before you.
  • If anyone is interested RogueRuns (organisers of the Severn Bridge Half amonst other things) are putting on a flat measured marathon TT from Oldbury power station on October 4th. Just130 places & only £20/22 Entries open end of the week through Fabian4.co.uk
  • Wardi - well run. Welcome back to racing!
    CD - Looking good. Wouldn't have any doubts about a sub 3 on race day but hard to tell what the impact of a soloish run will be 

My fridge magnet is on my parent's fridge. Didn't think it would be so long until I ran it again although a deferral of a place in the following year did seem to get lost in the post and never materialised.

Still struggling after weekends efforts. Bottled the last rep of planned progressive 3x2.5km today. Need to back it off a little to freshen up!
  • I love a fridge magnet and get one for each major marathon I run. I've serious fridge magnet envy. Must have been the years I was injured and not running marathons.
  • 2010-12 I believe OO
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ive got them for 2010, 11 and 12. I ran 2009 but dont remember one.

6m easy today. 
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    I can't find my fridge magnets so that's a project to keep me busy!  I do have all my marathon medals (32 in all), seemed the obvious thing to keep over the years.  I also have a Nutrasweet sports bag from one of my early Londons.

Running with a small group at the club tonight, by the time I've run there & back plus the proposed route I should clock up around 9 miles.  
  • Wardi - Hope the run went well.
    Gutted I missed out on the magnets, I was in for the 2012 LM but was injured again - hope they bring them back. 
    The Valencia and Lanzarote marathons are off so looks like in December I will be exchanging a marathon run around warm sunny citrus smelling Malaga for a hilly rain-lashed half marathon in Cornwall. Cella vie. 
    6 & 7.5 double y'day.  
  • Jealous Wardi - my email to the local running club clearly fell on deaf ears and I've since read they're not accepting new members so i'll be soloing this winter it seems.

OO - You know Cornwall is where your heart really lies. I had a little more hope for the marathons abroad but I guess that hope was misplaced.

You've got me wondering whether we're talking about the same things with these fridge magnets. But it's a fridge magnet and I could peel off my time so not sure what else it could be.

10k "jog" early doors today. I felt much fresher than last few days. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Wardi - good miles

OO - shame, localish events with a covid plan will be the only choice for a while. Hopefully Goodwood will survive the latest policy change.

Joe - sounds right, it was in the expo bag from 2010 to 12 i reckon.

3rd and final 20x3min session this morning, was able to wring my t shirt out afterwards and it hadnt even been raining. Long run Saturday and then im more or less all done (fingers crossed).
  • Fridge magnets were definitely in the goody bags from 2010 - 2012.  Conceivably there might have been a stall at the expo in 2009 that gave some away (they must have got the idea in 2010 from somewhere!) but they weren't a universal giveaway.

I got an email from Boston marathon this morning with a link to marathonfoto that had all the photos from all the races I've done with them since 2008.  I never bought any but it was nice to look back.  I'd forgotten what a lonely race I had at FLM 2011 - 40 pics and I'm the only runner in about 90% of them.  It's not like I was running 2:20 or whatever where that's common, it was just one of those things.  That was the only year I made it properly onto the telly, turning onto The Mall.  Happy days!
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    TR.. it was very hot & muggy here last night so as the run with the younger lads turned into MP for me, my t-shirt was soaking when I got back!  Nice final 20x3min session in the bag, the count down begins. 

OO.. shame about Malaga, I did think that one would maybe escape the cull being close to Xmas.  Still, I'm sure it will be lovely in Cornwall.  :)  

CD.. nice to have a few seconds of fame when you've done a few Londons.  I did get a brief appearance at the bottom end of Birdcage Walk in my PB year. 

Joe.. the club rejection seems a bit odd, most clubs like to attract nippier runners as it attracts more in a sort of snowball effect.

Steady 10m today, quite sunny but breezy here so found a tree lined route again.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Wardi - agreed, my body and enthusiasm are groaning, but im defo up for a hopeful sub3. Looks like racing can carry on with a valud approved covid plan.

6m easy
  • CD - It seems to me that there's a lot more runners down in the 2:30s and below now then there used to be but maybe that's just in my mind. I suppose you only need a 15 sec gap between runners for it to be a bit of a lonely race.

TR - Looking in good shape. Very much looking forward to a jubilant race report in a few weeks time!

Wardi - Not a rejection as such but perhaps they have bigger fish to fry. Would be good to get back involved somewhere soon.

Was due some hill reps yesterday so picked a few longer hills to have a sustained effort up (and down). Felt really good, picking up 4 strava crowns in the process. A 5:04 mile is probably the quickest I've ever gone but not fully record worthy with a 2% downhill gradient...
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Which area are you in Joe?  Usually a few clubs to choose from.  lol at the downhill mile - good speed!  One of the old codgers in my club likes to run a sub 7mm every year but down hill is his only chance now. :o   

I had intended around 7-8m yesterday but as it was a sunny & windless morning I decided on an extra lap of the racecourse to round it up to 10.2m.
    An easier 5.7m today, managed to get it done before the wind got blustery. 

TR.. fingers crossed for thumbs up to go ahead and a kind weather day at Goodwood, too early to worry about at this stage though.
  • Run Cheshire's Farndon 10K is still on. Had another email today about updating estimated finish time to ensure all runners are properly seeded in waves for Covid safety compliance.
    I did a 10K a few years ago which dropped over 600ft! Great for a quick time :D