App or online training plans ?

Reposting here...

Hello all,
I have been looking for a 10k and half-marathon training plans. I have been running on and off for 5 years but 2-3 times a week for the last 6 months.
I am 45y, 82Kg and run 10k in 49min at the moment.
Would you recommend any specific plans or website ?
Apps like Nike Running have built it plans generator but they do not ask you what your running time goal is so i am not sure how they calculate the runs needed. There are websites like mcmillanrunning.com with more precise and elaborate plans depending on what you want but that's $30 per month !!

any advice ?

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately a free plan/app does not essentially create a bespoke plan exactly for you. 

Frankly, your running time goal is mostly irrelevant. Your paces should be set around the ability you have now not what you want it to be. 

If your 10k pace right now is pb pace so around 7.45mm then easy/long runs should be around 9mm, threshold around 8mm, half mara pace around 8.10mm.

Mcmillan does have a free paces calculator for what your paces in training should be based on current ability so use then then apply to a generic plan. 
  • thanks !

i see your point but (and that could be a naive question...) how do you progress or set a goal ? if the training is set around your current capabilities ?

and very similar question for Race day..how do you decide which pace to follow ?

if there are no good app building plans. would you recommend any cheaper than $30 a month ? which seems a bit extreme ?

thank you again !
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    If you train for where you want to be, not where you are you'll get injured or burn out. 

Different types of runs develop you and if you train progressively and consistently you will find that a session that was tough a month or so ago is suddenly much less tough. Then you progress your training paces. 

Sometimes you need a couple of feeler races to get an idea so a few low key 5k races in advance of a target 10k where you can take a risk or two. I have a lot of hr and pace data I use from over several years so I can pinpoint my current fitness generally by going out and do an 8-10m steady run and seeing what hr v pace I get.

Even with that I still get race day surprises where I find myself 2 miles in feeling much more comfortable than I should so go for it. 

I use a coach for my training these days so I'd say investing $30 a month to have someone do the thinking for you for 6 months or so, if you can afford it, isn't a bad idea. 

You'll learn a lot in that time as to how to structure things etc and can feasibly go on alone then.
  • but thinking about it. i feel like for the last 6 months, i have not progressed at all in terms of fitness. anyway...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid there's only so far 2-3 runs a week can take your fitness, particularly if that's the totality of your exercise.

How do those runs look in terms of pace and distance of each? 
  • i am doing strenght and core training between the running days.

usually doing 35-45min run which ends being 7-8.5km.

Usually intervals and "tempo" runs. tempo around 5min/km.