P&D Spring Marathon 2020

Comments

• That’s an impressive set of sub 3s TR.  When Dorney filled up I looked at Goodward but probably a week or two early for me. I see the same crowd do an event in Bedford Oct so I might look at that.

Exciting to see the Classic 3x1m reps TR and AWC, nice paces too.

Steve good consistent MP miles, well done.

John - a couple of speedy sessions there.

Cal - loved the impromptu hill session, hope the rest day works it’s magic.

Jools - some tough sessions especially when not 100%, I’ve a picture of the walker administering water Gaza “dentist chair” style .

NE - fantastic, well done on the 100.  Would love to read about it but I know what trying to balance recovery and real life is like so focus on recovery. Thinking of the next one though ?

Hamo - hope the massage has the desired effect.  I know what you mean about the solo TTs   I look forward to them as well.  

I’ve noticed a few local established road races being shelved already for Jan/Feb. Mainly put on by clubs so I guess the risk of financial outlay at this stage just isn’t worth it.  Anyway I’ve tried a few proper recovery days this week, 5m just doesn’t seem worth lacing the trainers up for but that’s probably the point. A 5k TT , some MP and some beer to juggle with this weekend.
  • Congratulations on the first 100 Miler NE. Look forward to a report however brief ;)
    Best of luck for the weekend's racing Cal.
    Nice mile reps TR AWC - enjoy the tapering.
    Sensible Macca!? 5K TT a week after your awesome TP100 & another this w/e!
    I'm still fighting off a lingering cold but training through it.
    Wednesday I did (almost all of) Tuesday's club track session solo at lunch 2,400m/400 float/3x800m/400m float. The session was meant to have a final 400m effort but I'd run out of time (& power!) It was roasting & I ended up pouring with sweat. I also cycle-commuted 10M each way so was plenty tired.
    Yesterday I cycled 6M in & ran home but with an undulating extension to make it 17.8M. Jogged the first 8M then tried to up the pace to complete a HM for a virtual race I've entered but legs had very little though I did manage a MP finish to dip under 1:40. The 4.7M back to the car was a case of mind over matter & I've been battling post-run cramp since Sunday's LR.
    Nice easy 10K jog commute this morning brings me to 48M Mon-Fri. Should get another 25-30 in over the weekend then I'll start to ease off.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Hamo - im sure either of the shoes will be fine, i have a newish pair for Goodwood. Hope the 10k TT goes well. Yes entered the Dec marathon too, a 1/2 wont get me out the door.

Cal - nice one on the puppies, great

Macca - agreed ive seen lots of race cancel already, ill be at Goodwood a few times no doubt. Nice one on the beer, ill have a few frothies later to set me up for tomorrows 12 or 13 inc mp.

Jools - sounds like you need a taper too, dont over do it.

4m easy.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    12m inc 6m approx mp today. Thats me done.
  • Good effort, TR.

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park 10K. Warm, a bit windy but not bad conditions.
    This was a different course to the evening race there I did before lockdown so I wasn't sure what to expect, or even how many laps.
    Organisation was smooth. Fast people with red numbers were set off first, four at a time, then slightly less fast people with blue numbers (which included me) went off next. Folks expecting to run over 55 minutes were set off in a second wave, an hour and a bit after us.
    There were a few of my clubmates there, all with red numbers, so I got lapped by them several times.
    The course started with an out and back that featured a hairpin turn, but it wasn't too bad. We then did a loop that involved crossing a bridge, running along a bit then crossing another bridge back to the path where we started, but then we had to do a sharp turn onto a second, different loop that featured a few gradients before coming back to the starting path again. That was one lap. It felt a lot longer than it was.
    My first mile was fairly quick (8:14 I think) - not PB pace but OK. But as with last week, my pace dropped away immediately. Next mile was 8:36 and it already felt like I was half way. By the time I'd got to the 5K marker and realised it would be four of these winding laps, I started to lose the will to live. I kept chugging away but I was running 8:40s which is not even HM PB pace, and my legs had nothing.
    I finished in 53:13 - average pace 8:39 - so whilst it was better than last week, I didn't have the excuse of an 8 mile run there and I was wearing my 4%. I wasn't expecting a PB but I figured I could do something in the region of 52 so it was disappointing.
    I ran 52.something at the Pride Run last year on a very windy day, an hour and a bit after running a fast parkrun, and I also ran a 52 at the pre-lockdown Olympic Park race when I'd just hurt my back. This doesn't give me a lot of confidence for Dorney, I have to admit.
    I guess it's miles logged, and I got a medal and a flapjack (Runthrough's flapjacks are almost worth the price of admission, they're so good).
    One positive is that my QL wasn't too bad. I am still seeing Toby on Monday - hopefully he can do something to help.
    Anyway, a longish run tomorrow and I can taper.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - dont be too downbeat, view it as a dorney sharpener, ive never nailed a bit up race yet in the later stages of a marathon build up. The best thing is due to your recent 10ks, marathon pace will seem a lot easier.
  • Well, when I compare it to last Autumn, when I ran a HM PB two weeks out and a decent parkrun the week before, it doesn't look good.

Today's run was a real trudge. I opted for a route that started hilly (up to Streatham then on the Dulwich, Hell Hill, then Sydenham and the infamous Canonbie Road, but instead of circling back to Crystal Palace, I crossed over the road to a long thin park I'd not done before, then to my Peckham Rye, where I often went as a kid, along to Goose Green, up Dog Kennel Hill which I used to run up when I was 16 and felt like a mountain, through Dulwich to Brockwell Park and from there to home). I was aiming for 16 miles but only managed 14.
    First mile was in the dark and was painfully slow (11:42) due to a combination of stiffness, fatigue from yesterday and my brain's anti-trip governor kicking in. Although it got a bit lighter over the next mile, it was still very slow, and continued to be slow even on the downhill mile 3. I only got under 11 on mile 4 towards Dulwich, but then on mile 5 I hit Hell Hill and that came in at 12:00! Even though Hell Hill is a beast, there's no excuse for that. I was still well over 11 on the next two and only ran a semi-OK 10:35 through Peckham Rye, mile 8.
    After that I stayed under 11 but I was feeling tired and, despite the perfect weather (cool, sunny, very pleasant) I couldn't get much out of my legs at all.
    I got to mile 14 not too far away from home, thought I might manage one more but after another .2 I just went "nah" and stopped. Walked it in from there. Average pace was 11:02 which is pretty shocking, even for me, and even with some big hills.

I am obviously very fatigued but what concerns me now is how short my stride has got since June - I've lost 5-10cm off it (depending on pace) which is not good at all. No idea why - I was in great form in May and June when there were no races, but now there are races I feel like garbage. I really hope the taper will help - I only have two weeks until Dorney. I suspect a sub-4 may not happen.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cal - well id certainly not be able to pb at a hm 2 weeks out. You've done a few races inc virtual races recently, sounds like you need to ease right off now. Maybe a couple of real short and easy days in a row?

Easy 5m here
  • Tomorrow's a rest day - Tuesday will be a recovery run.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Good timing cal

6m inc 2m av 6.33. Must be race week.
  • Macca...Yea there have been a few races here cancelling already for the start of next year, including the Armagh 5K, unfortunately. But understandable. You seemed to juggle the beer, 5k and MP well judging by strava anyway.

Jools...Nice club session, looks hard work. Good MP finish to the virtual half even when your legs were battered.

TR...Plenty of easy running, full taper time now :lol: How did the MP feel? Best of luck for race week.

Cal...I agree with TR, don't be downbeat at all, its all good training and Dorney is the main goal. And Dorney will be a lot less of a winding course, so keep the confidence up...i'm expecting a race from you in 2 weeks :wink:
     Well backed up with a good hilly long run, no matter what you think of it. The taper will sort out the fatigue, and rest the muscles which will in turn loosen everything up and impact your stride. You've had a good year of training, and it doesn't magically disappear, so have faith.

Saturday i was meant to race a 10k according to the plan, but as there was none on anywhere, i decided to TT on my own to at least get the legs moving a bit. 2 mile warm up, quick change of the shoes and i was off, running the 10k distance in 32.26, so happy at that. A quick cool down and that was me done for the day.

My clubmate came down again yesterday to run my last "long" run with me, 17 miles at circa +10 pace (6.19 pace) and i felt good the whole way, so good signs going into the taper proper this week.

6 recovery miles in the fog this morning.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Hamo: you seem to be feeling fresh again - great 10km backed up with a strong LR. Nice of the clubmate to come down for the LR - always helps motivation levels.
    Cal: as the others have said that is more good training in the bank. You went into it with tired legs and a few niggles recently and with taper coming up your legs will repair quickly and bounce back strongly I suspect.
    TR: well done on the MP miles - certainly is race week :)
    Jools: hope you manage to knock the cold on the head shortly. Well done on the 1:40 half feeling under the weather. Sensible to ease off now.
    Macca: hope the beer juggling and TT went well!
    Followed a similar path to TR yesterday with 13.1mi and the last 7 I ran progressively finishing a bit faster than MP. Lungs still struggling a bit with the cold and snot but legs definitely feeling much fresher now coming into the last few days of taper.
    Recovery and some light S&C today with the dress rehearsal tomorrow.
  • Hamo - Superb 10k TT and long run.
    Cal - Good training regardless of the result.
    TR & AWC - Nice mile reps.
    Jools - Sounds like a tough session.

8 miles on Friday and then 16 on Saturday to finish off a 55 mile week. Some races cancelled here too that were going to be in October, but tbh that's not surprising as we have some restrictions in the Midlands.
  • Thanks guys. Saw my physio today - he said the QL issues was likely due to my mileage and should calm down (it was already a bit better at the weekend). I guess I don't recover as well as some of you younger folk.

Good mileage, Steve.

hamo, that's an excellent 10K time and a phenomenal long run the day after. Nothing wrong with your recovery powers.
  • That was a big week last Mon-Fri Jools, hopefully easing off for IOW will leave you in good shape.

Cal - good that the fizz thinks a lower mileage taper will help.  Easily said but I wouldn’t put too much pressure on yourself, it’s being such a strange/shite year, get to Dorney and see what happens.

TR / AWC - cotton wool time, that’s come round quickly, all the best this week.

Said it before...ticking over nicely Steve.

Lightening quick 10k Hamo, especially solo then backed up with a strong LR.  Good to read the taper proper has started😀

With a bit of juggling I squeezed an 18 w 14@MP into Friday just to gauge where I’m at.  It pleasingly came out just under 2:50 pace.  I’m running the virtual London on 4th and am tempted to run it hard from my front door for no other reason than to see how much I can rinse myself, probably not much more than 14m but should be a giggle.  Anyway that freed up some drinking time which in turn made Sunday’s 5 miler feel like a proper long run.
  • Just received an email to say Manchester April 2021 has been put back to 11th October.  I can’t see any old style big city marathons taking place until at least a vaccine is widespread.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Hamo - you sound fit for sure. Ready to rumble. Saturday it felt like i was always going uphill or into the wind. Im working from my 13m at mp coming in at 6.39 as my upper limit.

AWC - keep ejecting the snot. I guess we should receive a race number soon.

Macca - thats some impressive mp, sounds a risky strategy for your virtual vlm though......top boozing skills......i expect Brighton in April to be affected too.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    AWC - the M27 was closed at Fareham this weekend and is next weekend too. You will need to go along the top of Portsdown and on to A27 at Bedhampton.
  • AWCAWC ✭✭✭
    Nice one TR - be interesting to find out what time we are starting on Sunday, especially with 5 races in total. I know other RT events have had start times from 9am up until mid afternoon so a lot of possibilities there.
    Cal: good news from the physio
    Just over 4mi recovery today.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Mara has to start 9am to allow enough time for all runners?
  • You'd hope the mara would go off first.
    Skills Macca.
    Insane TT Hamo especially backing it up with a pacy LR Sunday.
    Go easy Cal & let the taper give a proper refresh
    Big week Mon-Fri then just 4.5M Sat & zero yesterday as I was moving house again at the weekend.
    Biked 8M in to work this morning then ran 14M home. Legs lacked bounce - must be all the box lugging & stair climbing. 
  • 4 mile recovery run today. I rarely run as little as 4 miles but I feel like I need a hard taper, given the QL, the ever decreasing stride and grumbling achilles.

Yeah, rather annoyed about Manchester as it once again clashes with Chicago. Not sure what I'm going to do about that. I'll have to drop one but unsure which...Chicago is the major, but I'll have to find another air fare if it goes ahead. Manchester will at least be cheap (since my mate lives there, I only have to pay for a train, and I won't have the risk of jetlag or the dreaded longhaul constipation).

But that now leaves me with the dilemma of what to do with myself in the meantime. Do I a) concentrate on shorter stuff in an attempt to build some speed so I can grab those GFAs when marathons begin again, or b) go the other way and start doing ultras? (I know I'm already doing an ultra, but I'm talking about Spring and Summer next year). I'm quite tempted to put myself in for NDW50 but I think I need to do this 50K first to see how my body copes with it. That and, well, I'll turn 54 next year - not sure how many more years I can continue to get faster so I might want to grab those shorter distance PBs while I'm still able.
    There may, of course, be smaller marathons to do in the meantime...just not sure I want to be doing a lot of lapped events.
  • Macca - Insane 14 @ MP so soon after TP100!! You clearly recover super fast from those long races now.
    Jools - Nice bike/run commute and house moving combo!
    Cal - Hope the injury eases.
    TR/AWC - Take it easy, all the training is done.

12 miles with 2*3 miles today, reps were 19:50 (6:37/33/39) and 20:21 (6:41/47/52). Felt like a tougher session than last weeks 3*2 miles, disappointed with the second set, felt like I could carry on running but couldn't run any faster to get under the 6:40 range.

Will start to look at alternatives to Manchester for the spring.
  • AWC....lovely progressive half, you are in good nick. Enjoy race week, and hopefully the snot will clear before the weekend. Expecting quick times from you and TR.

Steve...Nice weekends running to finish off a good week. Nice back to back 5ks in that session, does look tough, and you didn't drop too much at all in the second set, so good well done.

Cal...Good news, hopefully the physio is right and the reduced mileage of the taper will do the trick. Nice recovery running, and sensible to cap it at 4 miles. I think you are right, do the 50k first and see how you find it before deciding anything about Ultras. If it is of any help, i plan on doing some 5k/10k type training and sessions between this marathon block and the next one to try and add a bit of speed. Ultras seem to be certain to be on with the regulations/social distancing, but also there is quite a lot of 5ks and 10ks happening at the minute too, so it's much of a muchness really with which distance will provide the more race choice.

Macca...Love it, that's the way to approach the virtual London, run it hard and rinse yourself, what have you to lose? It'll be a bit of craic if nothing else. Brilliant MP miles from the weekend, esp as they freed up drinking time :lol: 

TR...Nice to have an idea of upper limit for paces at least. Have you (or AWC) checked the weather for wind etc? Or do you not bother worrying? Yea you would hope the marathon will go off first.

Jools...Best of luck with the new house. A few quieter days will do you no harm at all, as you say, you've just put in a big week.

10 mile with 10x 100 strides at the end this morning.
  • Macca - incredible turnaround time, clearly didn’t work hard enough at TP100! Bodes well for a fast marathon in Oct. A sub 2:50 would be very satisfying. 

Hamo - well done on smashing out a fast 10k, that must take a lot of mental toughness. I did a similar session on Thurs but was aiming for marathon effort and that felt tough enough in the midday heat. 

TR - enjoy the taper, you’re so ready for this weekend. Hope the weather holds up for you. 

AWC - likewise, sounds like you’ve recovered just in time. Have a great race, PB hopefully still on the cards. 

Steve - nice progression of reps, sounds like the effort was there. With no Manchester in Spring are you definitely going long? 

Cal - if you can put the 10k behind you, it’s now all about resting up for Dorney. I’m sure the recovery time will also do wonders for your body. I’d focus on some shorter fast stuff as it seems that has the most benefit for masters runners (I should take my own advice as I’ve mainly been doing long slow miles this year). 

Jools - you would definitely have got a workout from the moving. I just put together a trampoline for the kids today and now am aching all over. Also could be due to the springs flipping back into my chest a couple of times...

NE - congrats on the 100 miler! Look forward to hearing how you found the delights of my old stomping grounds, Worksop and Retford!

Last week was back on the tready for a workout, the good old 6x800m. Wound it up progressively from 2:55 to 2:47 without rinsing myself. Not sure these are as tough as outdoors even though the pace is the same but I’ll bank it. Then the 10k workout on Thurs but chose the wrong time to go out, was 29C and baking hot. Decided to go by HR but still ended up averaging 177bpm for sub 3 pace. At least I can say it was a hard workout. Then a 21 mile LR to cap off the week, low 7:50 avg with a chunk at 3:20 pace as I’m pacing my mate again for VVLM. At least something to look forward to. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Jools - where are you based now ? Still with yr gf?

Cal - more mara specific work if you want to run a stronger mara, more short and fast stuff if you want to get better at 5k to 10k.

Hamo - weather is an uncontrollable, but quite important for this one, so i had a peep. Nothing too windy yet, but that's what they always predict for Brighton and worthing.

John - you are on it for sure. Have your NB arrived yet?

Got a race number and instructions, mara goes first at 9am. Waves of 4 every go off every 10 secs, in estimated finish time order im about 20th on the list of 200ish so wont be waiting long. Other distances join in through morning (20m, 1/2, 10k, 5k) so could get busy at peak.

4m easy today.
  • Still Forest of Dean TR, just a different place is all. Bit closer to work but further from the forest trails & the athletics club. The GF has been back in Devon since June, she's just moved too! She's near Croyde now & can walk to the beach.
    20th is a good place to start from - not too lonely nor too crowded, for the first couple of laps at least. Best of luck with the weather.
    Cracking training John. TM efforts are definitely not as hard as RW ones but useful to get the legs turning over swiftly.
    I get your disappointment there Steve but I think that's the first session you've done which didn't come off well or faster than planned so bank it & move on.
    Upped my game again today: 10K run commute, 1.5M at lunch with Y7 XC then a 12K bike back to the car before heading up to the track for a club session. Did a progressive 5K wu with 8x100m strides in mile 3 then 3x6 minutes off 3 minutes easy into 8x100m off 35 second jog. 8.3 miles all in at 7:18 average with the middle 5 at sub3 pace B)
  • Had my final race instructions for Sunday’s 10K. They’ve split it into 2 races starting 15 minutes apart. Within each race there are 4 waves with socially distant start grids.
    My other February race which was cancelled due to stormy weather have finally given in to the inevitable & cancelled the rescheduled race which was planned to be in November. They’re also planning to move next year’s race to November rather than its traditional Feb date.
  • TR - getting very real once you get your race number. Maybe one benefit of the later races is that you’ll have people to chase down when it gets hard, although I guess it can work the other way if you’re being overtaken by the 5kers. 

Yes I got the RC Elites but they were too small so I had to send them back. Very light and the sole felt extremely grippy. Unfortunately they are out of stock now so will have to wait until next year. 

Jools - sounds like you’re in great shape. Any targets for your 10k?
  • John...Good work on the treadmill 800's, not sure they would be easier than outside, mentally it's bound to be hard. Shocking heat to try your 10k workout in, no wonder it felt hard. Nice long run to round the week off too. What time is your mate looking for London?

TR...very true, but glad it's not forecasting a hurricane, fingers crossed it stays that way. Glad the mara goes off first, you wont have much hanging around at all and as John says it might work with having people to chase down later in the race. Exciting getting a race number i'm sure? Carb loading started? 

Jools...That is a big day you've just put in, class work. Lovely intervals in the evening at sub 3 pace at the end of it too. Best of luck for Sunday. Shame about the other race, seems you just have to be lucky to get a race at the minute.

Only double of the week for me today, must be taper time...6 recovery miles this morning, 4 this evening.