Overdone it?

Comments

• Nice session DT and heading back the right way.

Skinny love the bling, I have 1nr pair of running shoes that I use for all my runs. Would like to get a pair of racers once we are all back up and running..........

Decided to do 10nr reps of 2mins hard and 1 min running recovery last night, avg came out at 7.48 for 3.67miles. Happy with first session in a long time. Have a nice weekend everyone.

• I make that 3.85 miles Kevin - anyway well done for doing something a bit faster - variety is the spice of life.

I got the Alphafly's - had a nervous 5 mins sitting in the queue but I got them. It's the first time I've bought from Nike direct and by getting In The Queue I somehow lost the opportunity to input my student discount code which cost me £26 but as I'm not genuinely a student I'll try to get over it.

DT do you need to set up the student code on your account before you get in the queue?

They arrive on 16th - I think they will be the most expensive article of clothing I have ever bought - I haven't bought a suit for a long time and I think I used to pay £200 - £240 for them.

Cheers
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Skinny, looks like I called the market incorrectly as on the sub 3 fb page everyone was after next % and there's a lot of annoyed folk who were on at 8am and couldn't get near them. 

Did you decide to go alphafly or was it because next were gone? I hot alphafly as well. Went on at 8am straight through as I have my size set up. I had to wait about 2 mins to hear i had been 'selected'. Likewise no option to input a discount code or even purchase another pair if id wanted. I suspect they've cancelled them on premium shoes.

Going straight into alphafly, you'll feel such a huge difference. I recall the first time I just put on some vaporflys and walked in them and it was bizarre. You've essentially just paid £260 to bypass 6 months hard training!!!

Mine are due on 16th also. 

Good to see you back at it and getting dome faster stuff in, Kevin.

6 x 4 mins off 90s float yesterday. Was on a mildly undulating route so just worked hard instead of chase numbers. Covered just under 5m at 6.41 average. Spin done this morning so quiet day.

Might go and get a local non league game in before that's closed down. Local team playing a pre season friendly Derby against Kidderminster harriers and allowing up to 600 in and weathers good so might go along. 
  • Pleased to hear discount wasn't available.

I went for the Alpha because I thought they looked slightly more robust around the heel but I doubt they are and it was simply a 50/50 toss up really.

Wonder if I'll ever get to race in them?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    No, you're right Skinny. Most reports I've read state that the alphafly is a much more robust shoe than the previous versions so you'll get a lot more from them. 

That said I still do my tempos and speedwork in my first pair of them from July 17. Have been for over 2 years now, must have well over 1000m on them. 
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    ASICS gel pulse here at £42  B)

2hrs 15mins of running this week which must be about 15 miles. Might try 60 mins tomorrow
  • since a while, we can go out to train outdoors again, something that athletes have been asking for since the state of alarm was established. When it comes to resuming the sport or starting to practice it, it is important that we do it progressively, gradually increasing the workload in order to avoid falling into possible overtraining . https://keeprunworld.com/news/overtraining-symptoms/
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    And 62 minutes today  B)

• mace said:
    And 62 minutes today  B) 
    In a less good way I did 68:14 today.

3 Village 10 Race Report

2 laps of 5 miles between 3 villages just outside Carlisle.

Each 5 lap course can be split into 3 sections - the first 1.7 is downhill about 120 ft and pretty fast, the next 1.6 climbs about 150 feet in a tortuously long hill whilst the final 1.7 is lumpy. Definitely not a PB course.

Added to that it was pretty windy and we were being set off in random groups of 6 as people arrived at the start.

I actually went off in a pretty high quality 5 having hung off the previous group which was full of people with lots of clothes on, leggings etc.

The 2 fasties ran off and left us whilst of the other two one guy sat behind me (who I had only beaten by 18 secs in the virtual 10k at end of August) whilst the other one chugged off but looked like he was working too hard. I caught him near the top of the big hill at 3 miles and finished 3 minutes in front of both of them.

It would have been better for me if one of them had been more competitive as I finished 3rd V50 (only two prizes) and first V50 beat me by 18 secs and 2nd V50 by 10 secs so a bit frustrating on the prize front but gives me the incentive to keep training and improving (not that I needed the incentive).

Splits of 
    6:23, 6:38, 7:03 (the hill effect), 6:44, 6:44 (first 5m lap)
    6:42, 6:47, 7:21 (the hill effect), 6:59, 6:40 plus 14 secs for the 0.05 extras.

68:14 (average pace 6:48). 

Being critical I was a bit too comfortable second lap and didn't really push for my goal pace of 6:45 which of course would have won me the V50.

Totals for week 4,10,4,0,3,3,14 for 38.

Off on hols now to York so will have a cut back few days but will be back for a LSR next Sunday.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Mace. 

Skinny, good to get a race in. Unlucky on the prize front. 

I did 13 today. Missed my 8am slot by sleeping in which was needed then junior rugby so didn't get out until midday by when it was warm. Kept the effort light and slowly nudged average down so came out 8.03 without taking too much out of me. That gave me my first 40m week since march. 

Garmin vo2 bouncing between 59/60 now so in that respect back to where I was. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Alphafly is arriving today now. I assume yours is the same, Skinny?
  • DT19 said:
    Alphafly is arriving today now. I assume yours is the same, Skinny?
    Yes have arrived just before I leave so off now - have looked at them but not tried them on.

Do yours have a green tinge to the sole? I thought that was the woman’s version (although didn’t understand difference) - cheers
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    There's a slight off white, green tinge. The female version however looks much more obviously green.

I had a little stroll around my kitchen in them. 
  • Back on it mace, what's planned mileage wise this week?

DT nice mileage, new trainers faster training paces ;)

Skinny, still going in the right direction. Enjoy your hols

12mls easy on Saturday 9.31 pace. Looking at some miles tonight, very humid here.

• DT19 said:

I had a little stroll around my kitchen in them. 
    If it's not on Strava it didn't happen.

Hello all, sorry for the the hiatus. I had a longer spell off running and started doing some decorating and spent all my brain power on colour charts and disappeared into Pinterest.

As DT notes I am building things back up. I can't seem to go very fast but I am enjoying my runs now after the initial pain. "Enjoyed" some stationary cycling in the no running interim period. Averaged about 25 mpw over the last few weeks but physio guidance still in play - Morton's neuroma was the diagnosis and I have lots of exercises to do. I do about half of them about half as often as I should.

Congratulations on the performance in the 10 mile race Skinny. Glad you're feeling back to normal DT and Kevin. Mace ... well you've eclipsed my longest duration run in about 6 months there with your 62 minutes.

6.6 miles @6.45 min/mile on my lunchtime hilly route was quite a nice run out today - fresh legs with no long run yesterday - but blimey it was hot !

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Muddy, good to hear from you. I see you are no longer furloughed as well then? Did you grab some alphfly also?

Kevin, nice long run. I've managed to get out early (well early for me at least) an avoid the warmer temps. We'll soon be into that lovely cooler autumnal weather.

Skinny, are you seriously saying that these shoes that are like nothing that will have ever been on your feet before, arrived just before you go on hols and won't see them again for whatever period and you didn't put them on your feet? Quite incredible restraint!!!

5m easy this morning done by just after 9.

• I didn’t bother with the alpha fly as I won’t be racing a marathon anytime soon. I have two pairs of relatively fresh Next% and a Runners Need 50% discount to spend so may go for the Endorphin Pro if they are available, for some racing at shorter distances.

I’m on part time furlough - working 2.5 days per week at the moment. It’s making me look forward to retirement. I seem to be quite good at pottering round the garden, painting things and drinking umpteen cups of tea.

7m in the midday heat for me today. Easy effort.
  • Good to see you back out Muddy :)

Out last night for 5mls easy and hopefully some miles tonight.

• Cheers Kevin, and you too - you seem to be able to churn out good mileage week on week.
  • macemace ✭✭✭
    Welcome back muddy

Just one run this week as unfortunately we had to have our oldest dog put to sleep on Tuesday so I haven’t been feeling up to anything really.

Ive ordered a couple of pairs of ASICS though so will be back to it soon I hope 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear about your loss, Mace. I had to do the same a couple of years ago with my cat and it was heartbreaking.

Standard 5m tempo lunchtime at 160bpm. Came out 6.27mm for smack on 160 with splits of 6.30, 6.21, 6.28, 6.29 and 6.28. Pleased with that as was warm and sunny and the last 2 miles were straight into a stiff headwind, the presence of which I hadn't clocked on the first 2m out!

• Welcome back Muddy - is Morten's neuroma the big second toe problem? My second toes are way longer than my big toes but no problems to report to date....

6.6m at 6:45s on a hilly route doesn't sound too shabby for coming back to fitness (slightly faster than my 10 mile hilly race pace!).

Sorry to hear about your dog mace - I guess it's something you sign up for when you get a pet but it's like losing a member of the family.

I'll save the Alphafly crack for a separate post but last week took it easy post race and on hols so managed 3,0,7,5,0,5,14 for 34 miles.

My week's holiday included taking my youngest back to Durham Uni on Monday as she was staying in Halls for her last year. Then news of the lockdown on Wednesday, confirmed with new rules from Uni on Thursday so she decided she didn't want to pay £5,700 for the accomm under the new rules so we picked her up and brought all her stuff back on Friday :-)
  • DT19 said:

Skinny, are you seriously saying that these shoes that are like nothing that will have ever been on your feet before, arrived just before you go on hols and won't see them again for whatever period and you didn't put them on your feet? Quite incredible restraint!!!

Haha - yes I was worried they would be wrong size or something and that it would ruin my hols.

So Saturday tried them on - quite a struggle to get my feet into them but once on they feel the right size.

They do give me some discomfort across the bottom of the midfoot - is that normal? I would think not.

Walking in them is weird enough and so I haven't dared try and run in them yet - feel like bambi on ice. Not sure if they are going to be for me but in worst case scenario looking at the sizes now available I should be able to make a killing on the resell.
  • That's rubbish Mace, sorry to hear.

Cheers Skinny - Mortons Neuroma is an inflamed nerve between 2nd and 3rd toe. It's really very painful.

On the Alphafly, can't comment on the stack height in those, but found with the Vaporfly on first wear it was like being on marshmallows but at pace they seemed to really firm up. Yes, you can feel the carbon fibre plate in the midfoot. It takes some getting used to.

On the recovery, I've been really surprised how quick it's been. Vo2max almost back to pre-injury levels. I think this is in some small part due to the moderate approach to mileage. This has shown me how essential recovery time is to speed up returns from training. However I know I don't have good endurance due to not doing any long runs and my lactate threshold has dipped a bit (which is why fast work is not feeling quite so good as the lower end aerobic stuff).

Yesterday - absolutely beautiful outside - managed 11m on my long run. Saturday too, really gorgeous day and did 10 miles of canoeing ! With running and canoeing I topped 50 miles for the week :smiley:  Rest day today.

• Sorry to hear about your dog Mace

Nice tempo session DT, nice pacing too

Skinny I think this could be the case with a lot of students. We are fortunate that our daughters are local for university.

Muddy nice miles for the week and getting back into it.

Session on Thursday was 7x3mins hard 1min jog recovery managed 3.52miles 7.38avg pace. 13miles on Saturday HR high from the start for some reason and stayed that way, decided to go with effort. Climbed the cobbler yesterday 7.5miles and approx 2,700 ft elevation with the family, lovely day weather wise and great views at the top.

• On the Alphafly, can't comment on the stack height in those, but found with the Vaporfly on first wear it was like being on marshmallows but at pace they seemed to really firm up. Yes, you can feel the carbon fibre plate in the midfoot. It takes some getting used to.
    Thanks muddy that's really helpful and reassuring.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I back what muddy says, once you get moving in them it isn't noticeable. 

I feel sorry for those of uni age, it's probably the best experience of my life, which was more to do with living away from home etc. 

Couple of nice sessions there, Kevin. 

Just been out for 5m recovery, very pleasant out. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Excuse me for a mo.....

Muddy - ive had Morton's, it burns out eventually but i can still suffer a bit. My tips are........wider shoes for everything, lower drop run shoes and a small piece of cotton wool between toes (which for me was 3rd and 4th toe) on longer runs. The last tip separates the toes and opens the nerve a bit, makes a massive difference.

Thanks for the time.
  • @TR thanks - yes I've had the same advice. I have plenty of space in my forefoot on the running shoes and have always been low drop so maybe it was my work shoes that kicked this off. All going well at the moment but I'll bear in mind those tips. The idea of cotton wool between my toes sends shivers up my spine (and not in a good way!).