Sub 3h15

Comments

• Back to plodding today. 8 miles @ 9:00/m.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good to see you back, Gul. Yes, I know well that after a break running initially leaves a lot of aches and pains on the body. That phase passes soon enough though.

Nice 10 miler gdawg.

Decent enough TT, OO.

4m recovery and spin on Monday then 5m general aerobic and bodypump on Tuesday. I moved Tuesdays session to Wednesday to avoid the heat, however that failed as it was 24c and blue skies at lunchtime yesterday.

Pretty meaty mixed pace session that left me feeling a bit sick thinking about it. 2m at hmp, 4 x 0.5 at 10kp and 4 x 0.25 at 5kp. I wasn't sure i'd have the range of paces and control in me and it'd all end up a random mishmash of paces. However it came out pretty well paced with the hmp miles at 6.22 and 6.24. Then the 10k reps at 6.12, 6.08, 6.10 and 6.08 and the 5k reps at 5.56, 5.52, 6.16 (2 sharp climbs in that rep!) and 5.40.

Spin this morning and 4m easy later on today.

The weight loss effort seems to be starting to show results in terms of weight and bodyfat. Will judge my success at the end of September.

• Nice plodding, Gul. You'll soon be back to where you were pre break.

That's a belting session there, DT. Got to be happy with that!

Got out early yesterday for my standard 8 miles on the trails. Could feel the 10 miler in my legs from the day before as well as the cumulative effect from the big climbs on Saturday's hilly LSR.

Decided to run at lunchtime today to give my legs and body a chance to fully wake up and try a push session.
    Only a 5 miler, the first split was sub-7 so I decided to see if I could get a complete set, which I did.

Managed to average 6.43 pace with a final split of 6.20. Well pleased with that as I've done no specific speed work for a while and it was a bit blowy out there today.

Ribs are better after the recent injury and I'm only 3 pounds off race weight, so ticking over nicely.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm back at pre lockdown weight. The new lockdown in the North East affects my town. A lot of confusion at the moment about what you can and can't do. Hopefully no impact on my training....
  • DT - excellent reps there.
    GD - great tempo session yesterday lunchtime.
    OO - I guess it won't affect your training.
    Had to make a shopping trip this morning, so just did 5 miles, but included 10x400m tempo intervals. Didn't take splits, but overall average pace was 7:26/m, so must have been somewhere in the right ball-park. The builder phoned yesterday to say he wants to start demolishing our garage, utility room and toilet this weekend. Taking Miss GD the younger back to Uni on Saturday, so not great timing, but we're more or less ready. Just need to disconnect and move the dishwasher and washing machine this evening. Hope the house is still standing when we get back on Saturday evening!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sometimes best not to be around d Gul.😉
    Hope junior is looking forward to it.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gdawg, nice little tempo there. Good work on the weightloss also.

Having had an extension built 2 years ago, Gul, i'm very pleased we were away for the week of the key demolition work! Sounds like a nice informal session there!

Went out over  lunchtime for my standard 5m at 160 bpm. It was warmer than ideal and windier however pleasingly splits were 6.30, 6.21, 6.28, 6.29 and 6.28 for bang on 160 bpm and 6.27 average pace. Last 2m were straight into a stiff headwind, though that means the first two miles had a tailwind, I just didn't appreciate it at the time!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Easy half today in the sunshine, 7.59mm for low 140s hr so nice and easy. 

That's 41m, two good sessions, 3 high end spin classes and a bodypump, a glutes and core session and 2 x my physio advised strength programme so a good week. 
  • DT - another good session and easy run to end a cracking week.
    Smashing weekend here - garage and rest of flat roof section down now. Bit of a panic with the electrics but easily sorted. No running though :( sneaked in 4 easy miles a short while ago, but had to wait for daylight as house doesn't feel secure enough to leave when everyone else is still in bed! Builders back shortly...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You must be pleased with that DT- a proper long run.
    Shocked you didnt get out in the dark Gul- must be killing you 😉
    I saw on Strava that PMJ has turned 55. Would be nice to hear from the old chap.

I popped out a 60 mile week with a slow 15 on Sunday. I have a trip to the Lakes then London this week so hopefully a change of running scene. My planned 3000m next Sunday may have to be sacrificed which  is a real shame.
  • OO - good tally for last week. Shame about the 3000m but enjoy running in the Lakes, as it were.
     6 miles this morning, average pace of 7:10/m, but felt like HMP effort. No warm-up, so happy with that.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I am truly gutted about the 3k. I've seen the field and the title was there for the taking. But just have to let it go.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Shame about the 3000m, oo. Though I suspect we are about to see a whole host of other things cancelled be it running or otherwise.

I see Manchester has scrapped plans for April 21. 

Gul, I'll be doing 6m later, though not at that pace. I  was due to do a reps session, however today is the last of the summer sunshine and I've switched that to tomorrow when it's 13c and overcast as I wanted to enjoy the trot in the sun today. 
  • Shame about the 3000m, OO
    Swift early 6 there, Gul. Nice one!
    Good idea to switch sessions to get the cooler weather, DT. I also think more races will go. A colleague read recently that the current new restrictions are a ramp for a full lockdown near Christmas in an attempt to take the shock out of deeper containment measures. Who knows!? 

No long run this week as we had a weekend away on the Kent coast. Managed to get 4 cheeky miles on the beach trails to shake of the beers from the day before. Also got 15 walking miles in.

Up early for 7 on the trails today. Generally feeling stronger at the moment, so I'll keep varying the sessions to try and maintain the mojo.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Just finishing off a nice weeks break in Sardinia,weather has been amazing and managed a few hilly runs,kept it really easy though and some were with the wife for company.first week of taper ended with 42 miles,this week aiming for 35 then hope Elvington is on on the 4th,if not I'll do virtual and see if I can snag a GFA time.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I think the government have just rung closing time on any decent races anytime soon. Work from home looks nailed on for some time though which is great. It just gives me the time to squeeze in those extra bits of strength and conditioning and stretching. 

I've just ordered myself one of these highly rated under armour running masks, just in case they decide they need to be worn in gyms, given they've just widened their use today and doubled fines.

Easy 6m done. Bodypump later. 
  • Must have been great in Sardinia, Ian. Nice easy runs.
    I'll have a look at those masks too, DT, just in case.

Unplanned double today. car went for an MOT and the centre said they'd have it done in 45 mins. I thought that might be the case so had running gear on. Bagged another cheeky 5 miles.
  • OO - yes, that's a real shame then :(
    DT - nice weather for an interval session. Welcome to Autumn.
    GD - nice impromptu double. A rare double for me too, with a quick jaunt to the supermarket last night.
    Ian - welcome back. Hope Elvington goes ahead.
    So 2.27 easy miles last night and 4.73 mile recovery run this morning. It would be rude not to end up with a whole number.
  • Ha! Nice rounding up there, Gul. I like that.
    Out again this morning for 8 miles with 14 hill reps in the middle. Good session in surprisingly muggy conditions.

Strava says I've hit my annual target of 1200 miles today. On course for my 3rd biggest year.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

that's some beautiful rounding of cumulative totals there, Gul!!

Ian, just as well Italy wasn't added to any quarantine list whilst you were away otherwise you'd have missed Elvington!!

Meaty session today 8 x 1k off 60s starting out at 10kp then trying to progress. I was a bit edgy about this session, did same 3 weeks ago off 90s and that was hard work. However it went amazingly well and I was more than ready to get going after the 60s. In fact I was holding back first 5 or 6 reps as I was anticipating that the short rest period would get me so the first 5 or 6 were quite cruisey. I almost managed perfect progression also with splits of 3.57, 3.52, 3.51, 3.48, 3.46, 3.46, 3.45 and 3.44.

Faster splits than 3 weeks ago off 50% less recovery so pleasing stuff.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT- That's a belter of a session,well done.
    I had been studying the rates in Italy for the last 4 weeks and checking for any climb per100,000 and it was steady around 16 all that time so I was pretty confident we would be fine.I manage a supermarket and OH works in a pharmacy so we've been non stop since March so to be honest,the break was more important than the race 
    10 miles today, felt tougher than usual,checked weight incase I'd put hokiday weight on but not much so just put it down to a tough day.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ian, yes, two very busy roles for sure!!!

I have been looking at similar for October half term, but realistically we simply can't risk being caught out and the kids missing 14 more days of school. I was looking at some charts on bbc earlier and Italy do seem to be ducking the curve that is hitting France, Spain and UK, obviously learnt well from first time.

Talking of weight, I targeted 7lb weight loss in September and this morning have lost 6lb so a week to lose a lb.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Our kids are old now so don't need to build that in to the risks,some countries have been very low,but the risk is now that they may not allow us in there.Well done on the loss,I've put on a couple of pound last week but can live with that as still at least 7lb lighter than last Autumn I think.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    I was just reading the GFA standards again and got myself a bit confused, my original thoughts was if I do the virtual and hit 3:10 I can apply but not guaranteed an entry depending on how far under it I was, but reading this, the bit about not being guaranteed only comes in if you aren't taking part in the virtual. I entered the virtual as a back up in case Elvington gets cancelled. I also have the HM time needed.
    https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/how-to-enter/good-age-entry/index.html
    Has anyone seen this clarified or got thoughts?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    My understanding, and I've pointed this anomaly out elsewhere, is that gor the virtual gfa you simply need to run under 3.10. If you have a gfa time however from elsewhere and need to apply gor a gfa place you have to have 3.07.20 which is ridiculous. For me the virtual gfa time should be the same for those with an existing race time. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-So do you think 3:10 is guaranteed entry or is it still the fastest? it's not too clear as usual.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    My reading has suggested that in the virtual 3.09.59 and a qualifying half time is sufficient, however vmlm can generally do what they want so I'd find a way of making that clear, or just run 3.07.20 or faster.  
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    GD - good session and mileage totting up nicely.
    DT - that's a cracking session. I usually take 2 to 3 times the recovery you had!
    Ian - all very confusing, but I'm sure you are more than capable - would be nice to know what the ask is though!
    6 miles today with 3x400m, 3x800m and 3x400m tempo intervals. No splits taken, overall average pace of 7:23/m.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Asked in a few places and no-one seems to know for definite, have emailed them so will see if they reply.
    One of my favourite pre-races session today,10 in total with 8@MP,had a slight tailwind for the first 4 and slight headwind back, average came out at 6:49 so pretty pleased with that as the effort felt about right, maybe a little harder than race should feel but no issues 10 days out.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, I think recovery length is key as the purpose is to keep the body under a high stress load. If you allow yourself to fully recover you significantly reduce that stress. It's worth you trying to reduce that aspect in my view . 

Ian, yes 8m or so at mp is a nice little session. Moving at a decent clip and working but not so much to leave yourself shattered afterwards. It'll always feel easier in the race!!

I did spin this morning and then 4m recovery over lunch followed by my physio strength exercises. 5m tempo again tomorrow.